• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

eznark

Banned
Strange to me that Seahawks fans are so eager to get rid of an OC who has been able to get so much out of their undersized and inexperienced quarterback.

Who are you hoping they get??

789shadow

Banned
Strange to me that Seahawks fans are so eager to get rid of an OC who has been able to get so much out of their undersized and inexperienced quarterback.

Who are you hoping they get??
Maybe they're glad to get rid of an OC who can preside over a shitty passing game while having a star rookie quarterback.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
One thing that struck me as incredibly funny was how Matrices come back with a fucking vengeance after being mentioned in passing during Algebra II and then completely forgotten for years. They make multivariable stuff much simpler to deal with, though, even without going into the rest of linear algebra.

I enjoyed all the math classes I took in college but I won't pretend I didn't have to study to pass them. I think I was mostly a B level student in those classes. My degree is in engineering so I didn't get extremely involved in higher level math classes, though.

The hardest part of multi-variable calc for me was the professor. She was an older woman in her late 70's at least, and I swear I struggled to stay awake every single time I was in that class.
I'm personally very good at picking up a process when I'm able to see both the general form and have it walked through a specific example so I can make sure I know where everything goes. Stuff that involves memorization is what I'm weaker at. I'll be perfectly honest and say I don't remember all the various hyperbolic function stuff, although I should brush up on that since quadratic drag ends up in that form.

ari

Banned
Seahawks offense is suspect as shit. Why is that dude, just like their defensive coordinator of last season, is getting top billed over guys like wisenhunt?

Miguel

All-Over-NFL-New-Era.jpg

Merry Christmas Squicken

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Bevell is pretty good, but he's a stubborn motherfucker. If something isn't working and can't be made to work through pounding it in, you're pretty much fucked.

Crisco

Banned
I mean, the Seahawk have a bad o-line and marginal talent at WR. Basically the same boat the Panthers are in, except Lynch is better than any back on the Panthers roster. You can only do so much with that. You also have to coach to your defense, no sense in passing the ball like crazy when you have a top defense.

eznark

Banned
Bevell is pretty good, but he's a stubborn motherfucker. If something isn't working and can't be made to work through pounding it in, you're pretty much fucked.

The book on Bevell is that he is a great teacher. He can explain things like how to read defenses and is apparently just brilliant football wise. He reminds me of Ty Detmer (a guy I am shocked had never gone into coaching) or Joe Philbin or Clements. They shine in practice and in the film room. Unfortunately for Bevell he is also expected to call plays. He's a guy who I think would be awesome on a team like GB where the head coach calls the plays and he is expected to game plan. Or of could even see him as a head coach without play calling duties.

He's a super smart football guy, a great leader who is well respected by players and is a Badger!

I think he is going to have a freaking awesome coaching career as soon as play calling duties are shuffled off to someone else.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not necessarily eager to show him the door, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't aggravating watching my team fail to adjust for either the team's defense or the condition of our line through multiple games this year. Like I've said before, though, when he's got things humming it's amazing.

So which 6 teams have the best chance to win the super bowl? Im already cheering for the Broncos and Panthers, but I need a few more teams to cheer for in case they lose.

squicken

The book on Bevell is that he is a great teacher. He can explain things like how to read defenses and is apparently just brilliant football wise. He reminds me of Ty Detmer (a guy I am shocked had never gone into coaching) or Joe Philbin or Clements. They shine in practice and in the film room. Unfortunately for Bevell he is also expected to call plays. He's a guy who I think would be awesome on a team like GB where the head coach calls the plays and he is expected to game plan. Or of could even see him as a head coach without play calling duties.

He's a super smart football guy, a great leader who is well respected by players and is a Badger!

I think he is going to have a freaking awesome coaching career as soon as play calling duties are shuffled off to someone else.

I'd say half the offensive coaches in the league are awful at game planning and maybe 5 are good play callers. Chickens fans are crazy to want to run him off

Gigglepoo

So which 6 teams have the best chance to win the super bowl? Im already cheering for the Broncos and Panthers, but I need a few more teams to cheer for in case they lose.

Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Carolina, New England, Green Bay

I guess? Just about any team but New Orleans could win.

Seahawks
Panthers
Broncos
Niners
Patriots
Packers

Who am I kidding, the Super Bowl is going to be San Diego vs New Orleans

But smh at you jumping onto another bandwagon once your team loses.

eznark

Banned
I'm not necessarily eager to show him the door, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't aggravating watching my team fail to adjust for either the team's defense or the condition of our line through multiple games this year. Like I've said before, though, when he's got things humming it's amazing.

Well remember he is calling the plays, not necessarily design the game plan. That is created during the week and dictated a whole lot by Carroll. When you have a great defense and a QB you trust to win close games it's easy to see why a head coach would play to let the other team step on their dick first, Bevell just calls to for the plan (which of course he does help create during the wrrk).

I think sometimes we expect it to be simple and easy to make on the fly adjustments. It's generally not.

Seahawks
Panthers
Broncos
Niners
Patriots
Packers

Who am I kidding, the Super Bowl is going to be San Diego vs New Orleans

But smh at you jumping onto another bandwagon once your team loses.

Brees is 0-4 in road playoff games. Not sure I see him winning 3 road games in this playoff alone.

Well remember he is calling the plays, not necessarily design the game plan. That is created during the week and dictated a whole lot by Carroll. When you have a great defense and a QB you trust to win close games it's easy to see why a head coach would play to let the other team step on their dick first, Bevell just calls to for the plan (which of course he does help create during the wrrk).

I think sometimes we expect it to be simple and easy to make on the fly adjustments. It's generally not.

How much say does Carol have on the offense?

eznark

Banned
I would imagine very little come Sunday.

I'd say half the offensive coaches in the league are awful at game planning and maybe 5 are good play callers. Chickens fans are crazy to want to run him off

Good team needs a great game plan.

Mediocre team needs a great play caller.

That's kind of how I see it.

Tom Penny

Nice knowing you Ridley.

After setting a franchise record with 334 all-purpose yards from scrimmage in the team's regular-season finale, Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount has been named the AFC offensive player of the week, it was announced on Tuesday morning.

eznark

Banned
Bevell is basically the Seattle equivalent of Philbin when he was in GB.

I can't wait til Tolzien fill that role for us next year! Tolzien is the next Bevell!

Peyton's a brother
to Eli

Here's how I determine who to cheer for:

1. Manning brothers
2. Black QB with winning record
3. Any team that can take out the Patriots and Steelers. Thats why I liked the Ravens the last couple of seasons, but now I know the Patriots and Steelers will not be doing anything noteworthy anytime soon, so the Ravens support has been dropped.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nobody take Dan Quinn, please. Sure, DC isn't as pivotal in Seattle because it will always be Carroll's defense, but Quinn being a DL guy compliments Carroll's background in the secondary. It's worked out rather well for us!

bionic77

When you truly "get" algebra it transforms everything you do, even those arithmetic and fractions. Need to figure out how much 7 of a $2.59 item costs? Change that 7 * 2.59 into 7 * (2.50 + .10 - .01) into 6 * 2.50 + 2.50 + .70 - .07 into 3 * 5 + 3.13 into 18.13.

Geometry and especially trig also have a bunch of easy applications.

And what does statistics depend on? Calculus.
Thats is a good point. You need a lot of underlying math to actually understand and apply statistics.

But in general I feel like math is not something most people ever use or need outside of school other than the basics. Not like Americans are good at math anyways, but a skill that is going to help you for the rest of your life more than math is your ability to write. So many people can't write for shit. And any decent job is going to require you to be able to write and speak so that you can get your point across.

I will say that I think math is great for building the mental muscles that teach critical thinking and problem solving but I haven't had to use any calculus since grad school. Honestly it would probably take me some time just to do some simple differentials.

Pro

Just found out that I have to go to a brunch on Sunday during the Bengals game... :(

Discreet earphone-age... here we go.

My brother was visiting for Christmas and my dad was having a dinner on Sunday during the Green Bay game...I didn't go. Dad didn't have the game at his place.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thats is a good point. You need a lot of underlying math to actually understand and apply statistics.

But in general I feel like math is not something most people ever use or need outside of school other than the basics. Not like Americans are good at math anyways, but a skill that is going to help you for the rest of your life more than math is your ability to write. So many people can't write for shit. And any decent job is going to require you to be able to write and speak so that you can get your point across.

I will say that I think math is great for building the mental muscles that teach critical thinking and problem solving but I haven't had to use any calculus since grad school. Honestly it would probably take me some time just to do some simple differentials.
You're quite right on the need for good communication, but it can tilt the other way as well. When all you have is rhetoric without any command of the facts then you get the crowd of bullshitters currently running our country.

bionic77

You're quite right on the need for good communication, but it can tilt the other way as well. When all you have is rhetoric but you have no command of the facts then you get the crowd of bullshitters currently running our country.
Been that way as long as I can remember bro. That isn't ever going to change. The people attracted to politics and patriots fandom are just shitty. Even if they were good at math they would just use it to argue their points with slanted statistics (which they already do).

The only solution to this is to make Tim Tebow our king and put the entire Patriots organization and a decent portion of Mass on one way rocket ship to Mars where they can build us a colony and mine that shit in avatar.

bionic77

Nope, 1 and 2 seeds are ineligible for the title.

Wild card teams get first billing, followed by winners of fraud divisions such as the Colts, Packers, and Eagles.
You are a smart man.

Rivers seems like a strong contender with how much bullshit had to occur for the Chargers to get in.

Top Bottom