• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

Gotta hope they didn't give him another contract. It's always a dice roll, but of the available guys, O'Brien seems like the best one

He pretended to be interested in an NFL job last year to get a big raise out of PSU. No way does that work 2 years in a row.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I just find it weird that if there is a conference soon it would be Penn State announcing he was leaving before Houston has said anything. Is that normal? I don't watch college much at all.

I'd think it would be about him staying more than anything.

Doomsayer

Oh I know.

Now I'm trying to remember who's alt Hotdog guy was. It was so obvious at the time but I can't remember now.

I want to say it was a Bucs fan posing as a Jet fan, but I really don't remember either.

In other news, I'm off to Vegas for new years. Happy New Years NFL-GAF!

So is Belichick. Think he doesn't have input in the overall game plan? The head coaches job is to tie it all together. There are almost no situations like the 85 Bears where it was essentially two different teams, and even fewer where that works.

The 2014 Lovey Tedford Bucs though...that shit would work and I am desperate to see it!

Belichick isn't exactly the typical coach, but sure. But as just one example, I would argue McCarthy has little to no input on the defense for the Packers. He's said as much a few times. I'm sure he has general oversight and as the defense has struggled he's gotten more involved, but I doubt he's putting any significant input into something as specific as a defensive gameplan week to week. .As a general rule though I'd imagine that as a defensive guy, Carroll is not going to provide the same level of input to his offense as McCarthy does to his, so Bevell has a good amount of free reign.

eznark

Banned
Belichick isn't exactly the typical coach, but sure. But as just one example, I would argue McCarthy has little to no input on the defense for the Packers. He's said as much a few times. I'm sure he has general oversight but I doubt he's putting any significant input into something as specific as a defensive gameplan week to week. .As a general rule though I'd imagine that as a defensive guy, Carroll is not going to provide the same level of input to his offense as McCarthy does to his, so Bevell has a good amount of free reign.

Strategy v. tactics

jbug617

Banned
What are the chances that Ray Rice is done in Baltimore. He seemed very unhappy towards the end of the season and there is this

“I really can’t explain that adequately, in all honesty,” Harbaugh said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “That was something that happened during the game that, when I looked over and saw it, I put him back in the game. I don’t have that answer for you right now. He should’ve been out there.”

That is a quote from Harbaugh on why Rice didn't play in the first half against the Bengals.

http://wp.me/p14QSB-9nli

Another Post-Season without the Raiders.

To Distract me from Draft Speculation I follow this simple formula to find out who to cheer for:

1. Team that does not have a direct Rivalry to the Raiders.
2. Team with the most former USC Players

Time to figure out which team to root for.

eznark

Banned
You were arguing that Carroll is to Bevell as McCarthy is to Philbin. I don't think that's a fair comparison, that's all. McCarthy's offense is his baby. Carroll's is his D

No I wasn't. I was saying that Bevell had Philbin role, not that Carroll had McCarthy's role.

If you go back and listen to Tuesdays With Aaron after the 2011 season, Rodgers went into detail about how it was almost all Philbin doing the weekly strategy work and that's what would be missed most (remember everyone was like "BFD McCarthy calls the plays" and Rodgers was ticked off about it) and McCarthy came in at the end to devise play calling around that strategy.

Bevell does the same, he devises the strategy (with Baldy McAssault as Hitokage said) but it just so happens he also calls the plays. Carroll just kind of has a general "be aggressive, let's pass, let's run focus, let's play more read" input as far as I can tell. But again, no one fucking reports on the Seahawks so that is a lot of assumptions based on a snippets of interviews.

bionic77

You forgot PEDs
If you don't take PEDs in the NFL you play like the Steelers or Cowboys on defense. Does anyone really want to see that?

I already picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl since they meet all the criteria:

-mediocre record
-barely snuck in

I'm already at peace with Green Bay winning it all.
GB is definitely the favorite, but a lot of people are jumping on that bandwagon thinking that Rodgers alone is going to make the rest of the team good. That is giving me pause.

Also they are playing at home and the only thing Rodgers hates more than cancer victims is playing in Wisconsin (judging this solely by his playoff record).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ranking the job openings:

1. Detroit - good talent, loyal ownership
2. Tampa Bay - young talent, immediate turnaround probable
3. Washington - meddling owner, but franchise qb
4. Houston - decent talent, could win quickly but more likely taking the helm of a sinking ship
5. Minnesota - no qb, no stadium, no future
6. Cleveland - Lombardi is a disaster, only take this job if you don't have another one

eznark

Banned
Position coach > College coach > NFL coordinator > NFL Head Coach (real franchise) > Fired > Raiders head coach > Fired > Analyst > Sex Assault scandal > Janitor > Self Help Therapist > Browns Head Coach

That's the only acceptable career trajectory (or something similar) that would force you to take that Cleveland job, imo. That basically leaves Lane Kiffin, Jim Tressel and Ray Rhodes.

Enjoy, Cleveland.

Ranking the job openings:

1. Detroit - good talent, loyal ownership
2. Tampa Bay - young talent, immediate turnaround probable
3. Washington - meddling owner, but franchise qb
4. Houston - decent talent, could win quickly but more likely taking the helm of a sinking ship
5. Minnesota - no qb, no stadium, no future
6. Cleveland - Lombardi is a disaster, only take this job if you don't have another one

I begrudgingly have to agree with eznark on something. :p .

Washington is a better job than people want to give it credit for , but I guess they're fine where you have them on the list. I'd argue that the Glazers are just as bad an owner in different ways, but the Bucs do have more talent and Glennon will be good. And the Lions will always suck. The city they inhabit casts too dark a shadow

Oh, lemme do one Ez!

Offensive Quality Control > Defensive Quality Control > Quality Control > Assistant QB Coach > Lions QB Coach

"I don't need no stinkin' QB Guru, I got Todd Downing, motherfuckers!"

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I begrudgingly have to agree with eznark on something. :p .

Washington is a better job than people want to give it credit for , but I guess they're fine where you have them on the list. I'd argue that the Glazers are just as bad an owner in different ways, but the Bucs do have more talent and Glennon will be good. And the Lions will always suck. The city they inhabit casts too dark a shadow

The big positive for Snyder and the Glazers is that they will spend money in free agency. They may also drop big cash on washed up losers or kickers without consulting the coaching staff.

Redskins will interview Panthers DC Sean McDermott over the weekend. I dunno about that from the Skins perspective.

Sean's done an amazing job this year with the defense, but I'm not sure if he's ready for a head coaching gig. I also don't think he's the right man to handle the 6'2 220 lb headache that comes with that team.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ken Griffey has a grandson.

830961937.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The type of offense Seattle runs(balanced with mobile QB and emphasis on explosive plays) is entirely dictated by Carroll, just as much as the type of defense we run(4-3/3-4 Hybrid). Even if we changed OCs, it would remain largely similar to how it is now as Carroll isn't hands-off. Carroll is known to override offensive playcalls on occasion too.

Furthermore, one should remember that Carroll would be the one hiring any prospective replacement.

Godslay

Banned
I didn't say that math was useless. I said it was not particularly useful for most of the population who should never be allowed near NASA. Obviously almost everything we use required a lot of math and science to create.

Honestly once they figure out how to harness quantum physics everything is going to seem like magic to most of the mouth breathers that inhibit this planet.

It's happening, at least in computing to some degree.

bionic77

The big positive for Snyder and the Glazers is that they will spend money in free agency. They may also drop big cash on washed up losers or kickers without consulting the coaching staff.
The NFL has a hard cap. Spending money in free agency is usually the sign of a stupid organization. Not sure that is a plus. This isn't baseball where you can buy your way to success.

If there is extra money you want your owners spending it on the best scouting, equipment, doctors and obviously steroids. That is where you can get an advantage.

Top Bottom