• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 11 |OT| - The Quarterback Duel of the Decade Out of the Shadows

Arians and staff came out with a much better gameplan than Caldwell and staff. Arians recognized what Philbin had Tannehill doing last week during the 2nd half, just hitting quick liners and let the play makers make plays. Thats exactly what Arians had Stanton do to start the game and it subverted the pressure and blitz packages Teryll Austin was trying to implement early to disrupt Stanton. The defense adjusted too late and the offense never got going. Arizona is just a better coached team and did exactly what they needed to to grind that game out. The Arizona defense is spectacular. Detroit took themselves out of the game with ridiculous penalties all game, too. Nice game out of Joique Bell, though. Real positive to see him get the ground game going.

Did anybody know that possession rule that Arians challenged on to put Detroit at the 1 yard line in the 4th? I seriously had no idea that was a rule.

Not looking forward to Tammy having it's way with Detroit next week. I hope Austin can dial up some sort of gameplan to stem the bleeding. Maybe score a few defensive TDs so the offense doesn't have to be relied on as much.

Jesus Christ, Cleveland sports radio was a shitshow after that horrible game yesterday.

The entire Hoyer/Manziel debate is insane, and there are such extremes on both sides.

Hoyer gets too much blame when we lose, but he also gets waaaaaaay too much credit when we win.

Jesus Christ, Cleveland sports radio was a shitshow after that horrible game yesterday.

The entire Hoyer/Manziel debate is insane, and there are such extremes on both sides.

Hoyer gets too much blame when we lose, but he also gets waaaaaaay too much credit when we win.
If nothing else, he throws one of the prettiest spirals I've ever seen.

Teddy Bridgewater is just awful. He is this season's Geno Smith. And the Raiders need to get Derek Carr some weapons. He has pretty good pocket presence and he gets the ball out quick. Receivers and co. just can't get any separation.....

The sports media is really ridiculous. One side is super biased for Hoyer and the other super biased for Manziel. No in between, I gotta say most to media around and fans are idiots. I often rage turn off the radio.

And some people want to throw Manziel in the fire just because, I want him to succeed so I want him to come in when the situation is right.

MRSA

Banned
Fuck you Bread

Won $500 last night playing drunk blackjack. The dealer called me an idiot for doubling down on 16 to only pull another 5 to make 21. Fuck you dealer.

Hey yall! He's back! GORDON IS FREEEEE!
P1hw3qz.png

668.gif

668.gif

668.gif

BG, would you rather have my Mallett crotch avatar?
That's what that was? And probably.

BigAT

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Initial indications are Colts RB Ahmad Bradshaw broke ankle. Testing today to determine injury's severity, if surgery is needed, per sources

Brutal, I feel so bad for him. The guy plays so hard but just can't stay healthy.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Initial indications are Colts RB Ahmad Bradshaw broke ankle. Testing today to determine injury's severity, if surgery is needed, per sources

Brutal, I feel so bad for him. The guy plays so hard but just can't stay healthy.

I am so sorry, Colts GAF.

Alright I'm outta here, good night guys.

Good game Colts; now looking forward to the Lions game. Megatron - Revis Island, will be an interesting battle. I don't think we gonna have a chance with that, it's like Gronk being covered.

Patriots will blow us out the water. Initially I thought this could be a competitive game back when the Pat's o-line looked vulnerable but now? Ehhh.

Fire Lombardi or strip him of playcalling duties. I don't want to hear about how good the Cards' defense is. If you can't score a single fucking TD you have a problem. Yea the refs fucked us at least twice but I didn't see much to suggest we could have capitalized if the right calls were made.

The sports media is really ridiculous. One side is super biased for Hoyer and the other super biased for Manziel. No in between, I gotta say most to media around and fans are idiots. I often rage turn off the radio.

And some people want to throw Manziel in the fire just because, I want him to succeed so I want him to come in when the situation is right.

I got in an argument on Facebook yesterday with a friend about it. I said something to the effect of that I wouldn't have been completely devastated had Hoyer been sidelined by that second hit. (Not that I was rooting for Hoyer to get concussed. Absolutely not. But he was horrendous yesterday.)

The friend responded by talking about all of the rookie QBs we've thrown too early into the fray and have all failed. Said we have to get out of this pattern of playing QBs before they're ready.

Which is a fair point. I said as much, but added that it's becoming obvious that Brian Hoyer is not a long-term franchise QB, which the friend responded to by saying he doesn't think that's clear at all and he potentially could be one.

I'm hoping Hoyer stays healthy all season because I do think that it's good for Manziel's development and almost certainly gives us a better shot at reaching the playoffs this season. But my problem is that my aforementioned friend and others like him seem to think that the only reason why all of these Cleveland QBs have failed is because we played them too early. It certainly didn't help, but all of our QBs have failed because they've all been TERRIBLE. Even once they get experience and move on to other teams, they never amount to anything because they're genuinely awful QBs that we never should have drafted in the first place.

We could have sat Brandon Weeden for two fucking seasons and he still would have been a colossal bust. (And it's not like we could have sat him for too long considering he was already a dinosaur when we drafted him.)

Fox318

Evans is someone I wanted predraft. But he was never dropping to 12.

Still, Watkins, Evans, and Beckham look great.
Idzik didn't need those guys.

How about we draft an asshole safety and a wr in the 4th instead.

Then let's cut the wr because he starts having seizures

Did Kas mention Fatford only throwing for 180 yards for an INT?

How about Stafford's 0-16 road record against teams with winning records.

The defense is fine and will get better next year when Suh's departure frees up money to upgrade some spots. But this offense...Stafford has every weapon in the book and can't deliver consistently. It's not just Lombardi's shit playcalling given that Stafford can change plays as he pleases. How the fuck does Tate get two targets?

Tenumi

Banned
What I'm wondering is if we're starting to see the mental effects of starting Stafford day 1 as a rookie. Obviously, back then, the defense was nowhere near the point it is now, and the offense was a Megatron injury away from nothingness. Statistically, he appears fine. Above 60 percent completion percentage, Average pass length back near his top seasons statistically. But it doesn't quite seem to show on the field.

Back in his first couple seasons, comebacks were practically required if the team was going to win. That's placed on the QB's shoulders most of time. Sometimes, it's against prevent defenses, sometimes not. But statistically, he turns out his best during those moments.

This also somewhat makes sense with his numbers being up during pressure, at least in my opinion.

...Hmm... perhaps what is needed isn't a QB heavy, weapon heavy offense built to put up numbers with longer throws and big plays. What we need is a quick hit, dink and dunk offense, built for Stafford to get the ball out quickly. Looking at the situations, if the Lions want Stafford to succeed, that might be the best option.

Of course, this is just me rambling off my thoughts based on what I know. I can't say if he's the answer or not, all I know is the question is up in the air. Perhaps it's time to build around another piece of the team. Take some of that offensive money and put it towards keeping that defense near the top.

Bowser

Oh hey, Benji making another ridic catch:

LikableRadiantGhostshrimp.gif

*trying to find positives in a shit season*

I love how Trufant gets up to act like he broke that up and then turns around to Benji's troll face.

This upcoming Broncos/Dolphins game looks a lot more interesting after the events of yesterday. I have always looked at this game as a guaranteed L on the schedule for Miami but the Rams have given me a ray of hope. The Dolphins have a similar defense, scrappy defensive line that can consistently apply pressure without blitzing and a secondary that is good at sticking to receivers. That's how they beat Brady and if they want any chance of beating Peyton they'll need to successfully apply the same formula.

I like what I've seen out of the Dolphins offense this year but there is still plenty of room for growth. Tannehill's inability to hit on the huge plays (30+ yard bombs) continues to hold this offense back, and the question marks at RT will continue to plague the team as the season moves forward. That said, they have played some great defenses this season and Tannehill has held his own for the most part.

This Dolphins team is so much better than last year's team. They have more playmakers on offense, the defense is much more complete, and the team in general is much more consistent (outside of the early season losses to Buffalo and KC). In the past 7 games the Dolphins have either won by double digits or lost on a last minute drive (GB and Detroit) so it's not like they are laying eggs in any of their games. That is not something I've seen from Miami in a very, very long time. Of course, even with that said they could easily miss the playoffs entirely.

One final thought: When Tannehill is playing well this Dolphins team is as complete as any in the AFC. They might not have as much talent at the skill positions as teams like Denver or Indy but they don't have any glaring weaknesses. That might change with Albert out but even still I feel the team is quite well balanced and complete. That's something else I haven't felt in an extremely long time (if ever).

Looking forward to the game this weekend. I expect the Broncos to come out with the W but at least I have a team I can get somewhat excited about watching.

All we learned yesterday was that the Packers are going to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

And I think the end is truly nigh: the Pats are going to win a legit Super Bowl. Tebow's blessing of protection may have finally run out.

Repent and tell your cherished ones you love them before it's too late

bionic77

Chance of Pats-Packers SB?
I am getting legit worried that the pats might win the fraud bowl this year.

I will support anyone who can stop that from happening. Even an unholy Union with the Packers is preferable.

I would rather see Andy Dalton hold that trophy that Tammy and co.

Hell I would even take the Ravens but that might make me quit football altogether.

Respect

I'm a little afraid of Tommy playing like this after a bye week.

So nervy

Brady played meh. Kas coming up...I'm so sorry :jnc

Yeah, he was off last night, fortunately the game plan was to run, but he was missing some easy throws. Played well in the 2nd half so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Jonas Gray had a great game, he is starting to remind of the law firm. Hopefully he can hold onto the ball just as effectively as BJGE while in NE.

Another good game for the D, contained Luck all game, held up on the back in on coverage for the most part, and completely stopped the run game...this really is the best this defense has looked in years. I no longer dread the defense going onto the field in a big spot, needing a key stop.

Patriots will blow us out the water. Initially I thought this could be a competitive game back when the Pat's o-line looked vulnerable but now? Ehhh.

Could still be a good game, your front 7 is pretty damn good and good front 7's always give NE trouble (see NYJ, NYG & Baltimore recent history...and KC earlier this year). NE being at home helps certainly, but good defenses always travel well. We should know pretty early on what kind of game it will be. If Brady is under pressure quickly in the first couple drives (without DET blitzing), it could be a long day for NE. If the offensive line holds up though and can keep Brady upright, it will be a good sign for NE.

My hope is that the Pats are peaking too early.

That is my biggest concern, maybe they are hitting their stride too soon. Ala 2007 & 2010.

jmdajr

I will support anyone who can stop that from happening. Even an unholy Union with the Packers is preferable.

Hell I would even take the Ravens but that might make me quit football altogether.

Pats / Chiefs rematch?

Godslay

Banned

Since a legit 1 seed won it last year, we are back to our wildcard team winning it this year. It is written in the book of Tebow.

Plus just look at Gronk's roid rage and Browner's Barry Bonds sized head and you know there is more to the story.

Jonas Gray is just a guy. The Pats (Brady included) have found offensive success for years and years by building a solid o-line and sticking "A Guy" in the backfield to run into giant holes. Early in the season the o-line sucked so the Pats sucked, now it's good and their offense is killing it. Of course Gronk being healthy helps but it's all about that o-line.

The Pats are very smart in that regard. RB's are a dime a dozen unless you are a top three guy so why waste money retaining them? The Panthers are an example of what happens when you do the opposite.

Top Bottom