• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 11 |OT| - The Quarterback Duel of the Decade Out of the Shadows

tmdorsey

I'm honestly thinking about waiting for a TV since I don't even have a couch yet and I'm about to move closer to the city in February. Plus it seems like buying something other than a 4k TV is like lighting money on fire right now. I mean so I buy a $600 55" thing that's only 1080p when 4K TVs will be that in 2 years? I want to go see one of those curved Samsung TVs and see how they look. I'm not paying $1200 for a new tv though.

I'm not sure if OLED is going to take off? Seems like the tech has been there for a while.

My advice on tv is never get the tech before it is established.

I got fucked extra hard but jumping in on HD before the standards were set (it was based on a demo I saw of football and sports in general on HD and I fucking ran out to buy a HD projector within a few months of them coming out). That was a waste of money. Hell there was not even HDMI on my fucking tv. Everything was via component and I feel like it did not even support 1080i.

I have seen a decent amount of tvs in the stores and honestly I did not see a huge difference in sporting events between 1080 and 4k. Yes the tits of the woman 8 rows back behind what is happening on the field are very clear, but that is not something I care about. Also they barely have enough bandwidth currently for 1080p. I don't see 4k being a thing for at least a few more years.

I am looking for a decent 1080p 240hz LED (our family room has too much light during the day for plasma) that is around 65". Unfortunately they always include garbage like 3D and other shit to drive the price up but I think I can swing a decent set for under 1500 if I catch the right sale.

I don't know, I jumped in on HD pretty early ('02) with a RPTV that connected via component and I was pretty happy with my set for a good while. Getting the content was a bitch (OTA was pretty much the only place), but I was fine.

I think if you plan on having the tv for a good while 5+ years, then it makes sense to futureproof and try to go 4K. Providers may try to adapt quicker. I actually thought I read something about Directv soon launching and testing some new satellites to support it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My advice on tv is never get the tech before it is established.

I got fucked extra hard but jumping in on HD before the standards were set (it was based on a demo I saw of football and sports in general on HD and I fucking ran out to buy a HD projector within a few months of them coming out). That was a waste of money. Hell there was not even HDMI on my fucking tv. Everything was via component and I feel like it did not even support 1080i.

I have seen a decent amount of tvs in the stores and honestly I did not see a huge difference in sporting events between 1080 and 4k. Yes the tits of the woman 8 rows back behind what is happening on the field are very clear, but that is not something I care about. Also they barely have enough bandwidth currently for 1080p. I don't see 4k being a thing for at least a few more years.

I am looking for a decent 1080p 240hz LED (our family room has too much light during the day for plasma) that is around 65". Unfortunately they always include garbage like 3D and other shit to drive the price up but I think I can swing a decent set for under 1500 if I catch the right sale.

This is good advice thanks.

If you just want size, the Sharps aren't too bad. A few of my friends own either the 60" or the 70" and they're pretty nice.

I kind of want a Sony TV since I've had a wonderful experience with their stuff.

I honestly don't like Plasma TVs and I never got the obsession. Yeah the picture is a bit better but the glare is ridiculous no matter what you do with them most of the time. Plus they're heavy as hell and expensive to run.

Cost of mass production for bigger screens is the biggest barrier for OLED. Has been for quite some time, unfortunately. With the death of plasma, I'm really hoping OLED or some other technology takes off. I can't do LED/LCD.
I am holding onto my Panny Plasma for dear life, hoping it will last me until OLED is reasonably priced.

Dragon

Banned
Sony delayed DC a year and still 2 months after release people are still having problems with the online, and there is no eta at all on the PS+ version. MCC has been out less then 24 hours. Definitely similar situations.

The PS+ version is neither here nor there besides being something they promised. Microsoft wouldn't do something like that.

As far as your other assertion, obviously eznark is gonna eznark but I think it's interesting that the game's online doesn't work for many people. Bread, for instance, was denying it was a thing on launch day and I'm sure his Halo buddy Zvobamin (I can never spell his fucking name) is doing the same thing in the thread on gaming side. It's a shitty situation, but people pick and choose what's a big deal. People didn't go ballistic over GTA Online being a shitshow so *shrug*

The PS+ version is neither here nor there besides being something they promised. Microsoft wouldn't do something like that.

As far as your other assertion, obviously eznark is gonna eznark but I think it's interesting that the game's online doesn't work for many people. Bread, for instance, was denying it was a thing on launch day and I'm sure his Halo buddy Zvobamin (I can never spell his fucking name) is doing the same thing in the thread on gaming side. It's a shitty situation, but people pick and choose what's a big deal. People didn't go ballistic over GTA Online being a shitshow so *shrug*
Semi-related; GTA Online is a shitshow even when it "works." ;)

bionic77

Greg would never use props on a basketball court.
How do we know that isn't Greg?

I don't know jumped in on HD pretty early ('02) with a RPTV that connected via component and I was pretty happy with my set for a good while. Getting the content was a bitch (OTA was pretty much the only place), but I was fine.

I think if you plan on having the tv for a good while 5+ years, then it makes sense to futureproof and try to go 4K. Providers may try to adapt quicker. I actually thought I read something about Directv soon launching and testing some new satellites to support it.
I think I got mine a year or so earlier than that. Back then the only options were 6-10k for a plasma or a grand or more for the projector. All of those tvs looked like dogshit within 5 years once the tech for plasma and lcd got better and cheaper. A relative of mine bought one of the first plasmas for 10k in this same time frame and the tv is 720p and looks worse than the cheapest tv at walmart.

And weinke I don't know if OLED will ever take off but it looks far and away better than anything I have ever seen. Its has a better image quality than plasma, as bright as the best LEDs, and the motion is smoother than Kim Kardashians glorious oiled and airbrushed ass.

I am holding onto my Panny Plasma for dear life, hoping it will last me until OLED is reasonably priced.
I considered buying a ZT60 to put into storage in case my current one fails.:)

The PQ of the VT series Panasonic or the standard bearer - Pioneer Elite Kuro's are unmatched to this day. That LG OLED that's down to 5k is freaking enticing though.:)

Dragon

Banned
Man Ubisoft is just being a pile of dicks right now:
qLbWg55.jpg

Tom Penny

I love my Panny Plasma. I don't know how long it's going to keep ticking though. TV's are so cheap now so it's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure I will be going with a Samsung next.

Dragon

Banned
Anyone have bluetooth earbud recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIRUOI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used these for two years, and while the battery life has gone from 8 hours to about 5/6 I really think they're really awesome and convenient. Especially if you're using public transit.

More reviews: http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/headphones/

thewirecutter does really good review content and they actually tell you which brands they're comparing and why.

Did they ever add online heists? Man I bought 2 copies of GTA because of all the stuff they were saying about online before release. I will never trust rockstar again.

Dragon

Banned
I was just about to link that here haha

Ubisoft is just going balls deep into their customer base. It's a shame too because I really enjoyed Black Flag.

Apparently it's from last year, strange we haven't heard about it before now. If I had any self control I wouldn't buy FC4 but that game looks awesome :/.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm glad I ended up returning my Xbox One when I had it. I didn't think MS would screw up they're biggest game launch like this.

At this point I'm thinking of getting a Wii U around December after Smash Bros. comes out because at least with Nintendo you know when a game launches it'll release with no problems.

The console videogame industry overall is in a sad state.

bionic77

The PQ of the VT series Panasonic or the standard bearer - Pioneer Elite Kuro's are unmatched to this day. That LG OLED that's down to 5k is freaking enticing though.:)
I think you can get the LG OLEDs for around 3500 these days and there will probably be a sale on them in the holidays.

Amazingly picture quality on those sets. Not sure if they beat a Kuro but I would not be surprised. Really hope someone figures out a way to mass produce them with bigger screens and for under 2k.

I was never able to afford any of the high end Panny Plasmas but the two I got have been the best TV's I've ever owned, other than the G20 crapping out on me after a couple of years. Great picture, low input lag (HUGE factor for me when purchasing a TV), and of course all of the other benefits of plasma tech like the superb refresh rate.

Right now I have a ST60 and I love it. It's very reflective and doesn't do well when there is a lot of natural light in the room but those are rare conditions for me. I love that it doesn't have 3D or a ton of worthless SmartTV bull which means I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Sadly I never got to experience the wonder of a Kuro but I know they are basically worshipped by a lot of guys on places like AVSforum. Sucks that plasma tech is dying off due to a lack of mainstream appeal as it's been the best HD tech for gamers over the past 5 years or so.

I could deal with an LED I suppose but it'd be hard after having a plasma for so long.

Striker

Giants sign Orleans Darkwa and Josh Victorian.
Of course some Giant fans still upset they never picked up LaMichael James.

This Darkwa kid seems to have good speed and size combo. I haven't seen much about him. Hillis may or may not be back right away with his concussion. Jennings is probably returning soon.

Fox318

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIRUOI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used these for two years, and while the battery life has gone from 8 hours to about 5/6 I really think they're really awesome and convenient. Especially if you're using public transit.

More reviews: http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/headphones/

thewirecutter does really good review content and they actually tell you which brands they're comparing and why.

I have some plantronics that I like. Great for running.
Thanks.

I need a new set because I go through earbuds what feels like every 2 months. The one nice pair I invested in lasted me a year.

Also its seems nuts seeing guys in the gym wearing beats and other over the ear headphones.

Bread

Banned
I responded to that last post but you must have missed it. That's what I was referencing.
He said "matchmaking isn't up yet" and I replied "I'm playing matchmaking right now"...

I wasn't being biased, or acting like nothing was wrong. I simply said I was playing matchmaking.

Sucks that plasma tech is dying off due to a lack of mainstream appeal as it's been the best HD tech for gamers over the past 5 years or so.
It actually has more to do with the difficulty of creating a plasma that can do 4K resolution and maintain manufacturing costs. It's not a coincidence that Panny got out of the business and then announced a 4K LED that has "plasma like" picture quality. The move to 4K helped to kill plasma as much as consumer apathy.

That along with the cost of manufacturing LED/LCD dropping played into Panasonic moving on. Can't really be mad about them making the right business decisions but boy it still hurts!

I have the VT35 in my living room and the VT55 in my den. Absolutely love both.

Zeke

So Romo leads the nfl in completion percentage at 68.8. Big Ben, pey pey, brees, Rodgers are within 1.5 percentage points per gil Brandt's Twitter. #thatsmyquarterback #romosexual #livebytheromodiebytheromo

bionic77

Yea it is your mistake FUCK YOU BRO YOU WANNA GO?

anyways

My mom has folgers coffee and it tastes like bitter dick, what do you guys recommend?
I have a nespresso.

Combine with a zojirushi travel mug and it is the best.

Lattes all day everyday!

Respect

So Romo leads the nfl in completion percentage at 68.8. Big Ben, pey pey, brees, Rodgers are within 1.5 percentage points per gil Brandt's Twitter. #thatsmyquarterback #romosexual #livebytheromodiebytheromo

It's funny that 25 years ago, if you broke over 60% completion percentage, that was pretty damn good, now you are below average if you can't hit 60%.

In 1990, 3 QBs finished the year with completion percentage over 60%, so far this year, 26 QBs are over 60%.

I know the rules + short passing game has everything to do with that. Wish the defense would get more breaks. Other than the "force out" rule being done away with, defense gets zero help and doesn't look like it will change anytime soon if ever.

That $60 is going DA:I instead

Ditto.

I LOVE Assassin's Creed but I'm passing on Unity just out of principle.

Like I said last night, all this bluster on the message boards and Twitter doesn't mean a damn thing if you're still giving these people your money.

You want Ubi to change? Put your money where your mouth is and don't support their products.

rando14

Like I said last night, all this bluster on the message boards and Twitter doesn't mean a damn thing if you're still giving these people your money.

You want Ubi to change? Put your money where your mouth is and don't support their products.

isMI0HSbtwkBK.gif

tmdorsey

I need a new tv to replace my 12 year RPTV in my family room, but I want nothing less than 60" and I need plasma level image quality. I wish OLED was more affordable. :-/

Don't know what system you are getting it on but it is $40 on PC if you buy through Origin and access it via Hola and select Mexico as where you are browsing from.

Top Bottom