• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 11 |OT| - The Quarterback Duel of the Decade Out of the Shadows

eznark

Banned
Console warz is worse than pickle pizza, I don't know why it has to come here, I only fight fire with fire.

Because this is the only place yankee feels safe enough to carry on his crusade.

ONWARD CONSOLE WARRRRRRRRRRRRRIOR

Onward, Console warrior!
Marching as to war,
With the cross of Matrick
Going on before.
Nelson, the glorious Major
Leads against the foe;
Forward into battle,
See his Red Lights go

bionic77

Dragon

Banned
It's almost if they were a bunch basement dwelling fanboys that don't understand competition is a good thing for the market to be successful.

Please explain why competition is a good thing for a market to be successful. Steam and iPhone are two examples where this isn't the case. Steam is by far the most successful PC digital platform and yet they still offer sale after sale because Valve is about profit not about beating other platforms. It's a ridiculous premise for an argument.

Please explain why competition is a good thing for a market to be successful. Steam and iPhone are two examples where this isn't the case. Steam is by far the most successful PC digital platform and yet they still offer sale after sale because Valve is about profit not about beating other platforms. It's a ridiculous premise for an argument.

Valve and Apple don't have competitors? Really?

Milchjon

giphy.gif

Holy fuck you really dont know what you are talking about.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/31/android-market-share-tops-out-while-google-reasserts-control/
Google’s dominance over the smartphone landscape appears to be topping out, but the company is gaining more control over the devices that run its software.

The Android mobile operating system ran 84% of smartphones shipped globally in the third quarter, according to research firm Strategy Analytics, down slightly from 85% in the second quarter.

“Android’s global smartphone market share is peaking,” said Strategy Analytics analyst Neil Mawston. “Unless there is an unlikely collapse in rival Apple AAPL +1.41% iPhone volumes in the future, Android is probably never going to go much above the 85% global market share ceiling.”

Market share for Apple’s iOS mobile operating system was 12% in the third quarter. Microsoft 'sMSFT +1.70% Windows Phone captured 3% share and BlackBerry BB.T +7.68% devices 1%.

Even if Android’s market share doesn’t go any higher, there is still good news for Google.

For starters, the market overall is still growing. Strategy Analytics forecasts 12% growth in smartphone shipments in 2015.

Second, Google appears to be turning the tide on the growth of so-called Android forks – versions of the mobile operating software that are developed independently and don’t come with Google’s lucrative mobile apps.

As a percentage of total Android shipments, forks made up 37% in the third quarter, down slightly from 39% in the second quarter.

Google makes no money on Android itself, since it gives away the operating system for free to device makers. It profits from revenue generated by advertisements that appear in apps like Google Search, Google Maps and YouTube, as well as a cut of sales of apps, files, subscriptions, and the like sold through the Google Play Store.

Mr. Mawston of Strategy Analytics chalks up the decline in Android forks to a “maturing” China smartphone market, where most forked Android devices are sold. In addition, Google is asserting control over its operating software through its newly launched Android One program. That program is designed to provide cheap, reliable smartphones to consumers in emerging markets such as India. Those phones come with Google’s various services installed.

Meantime, Samsung 's005930.SE -2.44% dominance over other Android handset makers is waning, reducing the threat that the Korean hardware maker could wrest more control from Google. In the third quarter of this year, 25% of smartphones shipped were Samsung devices. That figure cratered from the year prior, when it stood at 35%.

Samsung ships mostly Android devices and long has been dominant among Android vendors thanks in part to big commissions it pays to smartphone distributors, particularly in emerging markets. That gives them an incentive to push its devices over rivals.

Yet Samsung is losing out to upstarts like China’s Xiaomi, which are undercutting the Korean giant on price. Samsung sells its smartphones at a premium and captures bigger profit margins on each device sold, while Xiaomi prices its devices closer to the cost of making them and profits instead on the sale of accessories and software add-ons.

In the previous two years, as Samsung’s market share peaked, it tried to assert more independence from Google by distributing more of its own services on its Android devices while simultaneously downplaying the fact that Google’s software powered them. That sparked concerns inside Google that it could lose some control over the operating system, according to people familiar with the company’s internal deliberations.

Earlier this year, Samsung and Google reached a detente of sorts, when they agreed to a broad patent cross-licensing deal.

The biggest challenge to Google’s mobile dominance could come from regulators. European Union antitrust authorities are poised to unleash a formal investigation into Android in the wake of concerns that Google shuts out rivals in promoting services such as Google Maps.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the news of Google’s secret agreements with handset makers requiring them to feature those services prominently if they want access to the services in the first place.

A Google spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

ios isnt even a blip in Googles rearview mirrior.

Dragon

Banned
Valve and Apple don't have competitors?

Competitors in what sense? You think Valve only does things because Origin/uPlay/Gog/GMG/Desura do other things? Valve is out to make money. And they make a shitload more than all of their 'competitors' combined.

Holy fuck you really dont know what you are talking about.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/10/31/android-market-share-tops-out-while-google-reasserts-control/

ios isnt even a blip in Googles rearview mirrior.

I'm talking about money, not marketshare bro. If you're going to blast me at least do it on the subject I'm talking about. Google makes most of their money from advertising as they have since their company was made.

Again the premise that competition is good for a market, especially the video game market, is absurd. It's like people weren't around for the days of the PS1/PS2.

Hmm...

Hunter S.

Yup, the oline won't let us do anything, the bills will win by just scoring a few field goals.
Ha, the Bills chocked away a win to the Chiefs last game looking much better the whole time. It was only turnovers and one great running score by Jamal Lewis that saved the Chefs. Bills can choke again.

Barring injury, RT is the only position that should be in question next year. Bulaga isn't overly impressive and is currently set to become a FA
Lang is average at best and Sitton while great isn't getting any younger.

ILB is a huge position of need. So is OLB.

Ha, the Bills chocked away a win to the Chiefs last game looking much better the whole time. It was only turnovers and one great running score by Jamal Lewis that saved the Chefs. Bills can choke again.

You underestimate how bad the dolphins play in must win games, remember last year when we only had to beat the bills or jets to make the playoffs and we scored 7 points between BOTH games? Yeah....expect the same results tonight.

Competitors in what sense? You think Valve only does things because Origin/uPlay/Gog/GMG/Desura do other things? Valve is out to make money. And they make a shitload more than all of their 'competitors' combined.

I'm talking about money, not marketshare bro. If you're going to blast me at least do it on the subject I'm talking about. Google makes most of their money from advertising as they have since their company was made.

Again the premise that competition is good for a market, especially the video game market, is absurd. It's like people weren't around for the days of the PS1/PS2.

Aren't the point of sales in a competitive market to buy X product at my store vs. another store?

Market competition forces companies to innovate+adapt. If competition doesn't matter, and people buy my product anyway, what incentive do I have to improve it? It's good enough as is.

WedgeX

Banned
I've often heard urban legends of this, and it happened two days ago so it may have already been posted, but got dang:

BARTGIS, JOHN RAY

BARTGIS, John Ray, age 52, of Mechanicsville, passed away Monday, November 10, 2014 at his home after a courageous battle with lung cancer. He was surrounded by his loving wife of 20 years, Judy K. Bartgis, and family. He was the son of Margie Enos and stepfather, Cassius "Shorty" Enos. He was preceded in death by his father, Billy Bartgis; a brother, Billy Joe Bartgis; and his devoted son, John Ray Maxwell "Max" Bartgis. He is survived by his two children, Brittany M. Bartgis and Sean C. Bartgis; two stepchildren, Jennifer N. Seay and Patrick W. Seay; a sister, Cynthia Davis; and a brother, Gregory Bartgis; two nieces, Christa Cullinane and Ashley Lawrie; and a special aunt he considered to be his second mom, Dorma Harvey; and also many loving family members and friends. John was a staff sargeant in the National Guard for 12 years. He loved motor sports, especially Motocross, and loved going each year to Hatfield McCoy Trails with his work buddies. John was also a diehard Washington Redskins fan, and one of his final wishes was that the team members would be his pallbearers so they can let him down one last time. The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday (today), at the Monaghan Funeral Home, 7300 Creighton Pkwy., Mechanicsville, where services will be held 2 p.m. Thursday. Interment Hanover Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in John's memory to the American Cancer Society.

You underestimate how bad the dolphins play in must win games, remember last year when we only had to beat the bills or jets to make the playoffs and we scored 7 points between BOTH games? Yeah....expect the same results tonight.

What are you talking about? The dolphins beat the pats last year then won the Super Bowl. I don't remember the rest of that happening.

Dragon

Banned
Because Sega, Nintendo then MS NEVER existed.....

The PS1/PS2 had great games and were far and away the most successful consoles during that time period. People arguing that the XB1 or WiiU have to sell more so that Sony doesn't get complacent are just plain wrong IMO.

Aren't the point of sales to buy X product at my store vs. another store?

Market competition forces companies to innovate+adapt. If competition doesn't matter, and people buy my product anyway, what incentive do I have to improve it? It's good enough as is.

You improve it so more people buy it. If some company gets into a market first, you think they're just going to stay stagnant because there's no other companies in the market? I guess I just don't get that kind of thinking.

Does Google not improve their search all the time? It's the core of their business and they want people to continue using it and make it almost impossible for a competitor to even come along.

Do you really live on planet earth in the year 2014?

I don't really feel like responding legitimately to someone who isn't articulating their points.

MechDX

Google has competition for search engines. Not big competition but they still have to see what others are doing.

Look at Nintendo's attitude towards 3rd parties in theNES days for reference

You improve it so more people buy it. If some company gets into a market first, you think they're just going to stay stagnant because there's no other companies in the market? I guess I just don't get that kind of thinking.

Does Google not improve their search all the time? It's the core of their business and they want people to continue using it and make it almost impossible for a competitor to even come along.

But I thought you didn't need competition.

Hunter S.

Yes, I remember it. Especially rooting for them at Patriots games. I am just not impressed by what I see in Kyle Orton. He is barely squeeking by wins, never looking dominate.

jmdajr

I agree with dragon, Sony has already shown this gen that they are going to be complacent no matter what MS or Nintendo do.

Can't say I'm too pleased with PS4 offerings, but I bought one because it was a better deal and omg Microsoft is evil.

But now that MS is 350 I can't straight up recommend one.

I don't care for Nintendo games but even that actually has stuff to offer now.

Top Bottom