• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 13 |OT| California Gurls

Think Coughlin is gone ?
I can't say with any certainty either way. There's a strong part of me that thinks no but you can't end up with a 4-12 season as a coach and survive it more often than not. The question is who are you bringing in? Change for the sake of change isn't good and the Giants value stability. If there's a plan and there's a coach they have in mind - ok but I guess we'll find out.

Realistically though? The injuries and turnovers aren't a matter of luck for this team anymore. Its in the fabric of what this team is and maybe that fabric needs to change for it to stop.

If that's the case, so be it but I won't be smiling and giddy the day Tom Coughlin is no longer the coach of the NY Giants.

Jerry Reese isn't going anywhere. Sorry to the Jerry haters but the Giants have had what? 3 GM's in 38 years? It's not going to happen.

Coughlin is gonna "retire" at season's end. No coach can survive this.
I could see him stepping down instead of being outright fired but he isn't retiring. The man knows nothing else and has no interest in doing anything else. I'd be shocked if he does.

I could see him stepping down instead of being outright fired but he isn't retiring. The man knows nothing else and has no interest in doing anything else. I'd be shocked if he does.
So what position do you expect him to take up? I doubt he'd get a head coaching gig anywhere else after this, and I don't think anyone else in the league is going to want a 69 year old offensive coordinator.

RBH

trtufjkuuwr2xwfcf4sd.jpg

http://deadspin.com/the-washington-redskins-dont-understand-how-cyber-monda-1665266203

Draxal

Coughlin is done, if he was 60 he would be fine. Giants are in a full rebuild and he's 69.

So what position do you expect him to take up? I doubt he'd get a head coaching gig anywhere else after this, and I don't think anyone else in the league is going to want a 69 year old offensive coordinator.

Offensive consultant with either Syracuse or BC.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

10 years younger and he'd be hired in a heartbeat if he was actually fired.

Still don't think firing him is the solution unless something in him has changed dramatically since 2008 and 2011.

Draxal

Still don't think firing him is the solution unless something in him has changed dramatically since 2008 and 2011.

Nothing dramatically changed besides the roster being shit. He does have stubbon loyalty to people who really don't deserve it as a vice (hi Kiwi).

Colasante

B3y51fyCMAAW6QA.png

Maybe this has something to do with the lack of a pass rush from the Patriots. Rodgers' scrambling ability scared them so much they only rushed two and had three linemen act essentially as spies.

Patriots7

Holy shit. That's about as ridiculous as I've read from any pats fan. If you really think the defense is as bad as other years then I don't know what to tell you.

Last year's defense would have easily given up 50+ last night so in no way shape or for is it as bad as before.
What metric are we using to say that our defense is significantly improved over previous years?
Going down the list, the only metric in which there is a significant change from last years is yards allowed per game.
Everything else is a wash.
(Opponent third down conversion, plays per game, redzone defense, points per game, etc)

Last years defense held the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL to 26 points in Denver without our top cornerback in the game for ~3 quarters.

So either last years defense was not as bad as people are making it out to be (which I've always said was pretty average) or this years defense is not living up to the great expectations we all had. I'm going with the latter.

Also I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that the defense carried the team for many games last year.

You're either taking this loss way too hard or you are trolling at this point. They lost to a great team on the road, they had chances but their opponent outplayed them. This wasn't an elimination game. If your going to lose games, better to lose the out of conference games. Season is far from over.
I'm not trolling or upset we lost. I know the Packers are a great team. Like Tommy said, this was a great measuring stick to see where our team is. I had already figured this would be a loss since the beginning of the season. But after solid performances over the past few weeks, I began thinking maybe our defense actually has become more than just a stout redzone defense.
It hasn't.

This isn't the same defense. Just fucking use your eyes to watch the game. The defenses from 07 to last year were generally in last place. They couldn't stop the run or pass. Now the Pats are in the middle of the pack. You can't expect to have an elite defense one year away from having one of the worst defenses in the NFL it doesn't work that way. Well it could work that way if the Pats had JJ Watt. They don't so they are just average. For years all I wanted was the Pats to have just an average defense. Now they have that, and they can build up on it next year. The defense is good enough to win a super bowl with. They just got outcoached and outplayed yesterday. It happens.

Listening to sports talk today was probably the worst decision of my life. All this bitching and moaning about the defense. Now I hope the fucking Pats go one and done with Brady looking like dogshit once again to spite these shitty ass fans. People just need to chill. They had this expectation the defense was elite when that was never the case. They do a great job of scheming away from their weaknesses and playing to their strengths.

Edit:Meant defenses after the 07 season.
They were near last place in yards allowed but I can't remember a season where we were last place in points allowed. We have always been mid pack, and I feel like 2009 saw us somewhere near the top. We've always had a stingy redzone defense that's relied on turnovers.

If you're happy blaming Tom for having 100+ rating in the game while rarely not being faced with considerable pressure, and having the ball for ~24 minutes, and still being 20 yards away from winning the game, then fine.

#FindRando

Seriously fuck the Coaches poll for dropping Wisconsin down to 4. AP still has them at 2 though.

Fortunately for you, college basketball rankings mean jack diddly squat, even in March and much less in December. It's not like CFB where you're bonefucked unless you

A) Started in the top 15
B) Play in the SEC West
C)Are a program that voters like to overhype to the moon like Notre Dame

And I still expect Wiscy to beat Duke by 8-10 points on Wednesday so when that happens, this ranking today will be completely moot.

Trey

What was really crazy to me yesterday was the contrast in QB play. On one side you've got one of the best QB's of all time tossing accurate dimes all over the field with a flick of the wrist, on the other you've got a formerly great QB struggling to maintain the high level of play he has been known for throughout his career.

The Pats offense is set up to succeed with what Brady currently is, but there's no denying the gap in pure athletic skill between him and Rodgers.

To be fair, Rodgers kind of does this to all opposing QB's, but with Brady also in the discussion for MVP it makes the contrast more striking.

to be fair, Brady threw some dimes too. That back shoulder TD pass to Lafell should be illegal - there's no guarding that. He also dropped a dime in to Gronk which was a tough catch to make, but he had a legitimate shot at the ball.

The big difference yesterday was that Rodgers' mobility and awareness in the pocket was far superior to that of Brady.

Hell, I don't see a single team in the NFL that can stop this team. They are rolling at the right time.

The Bills matchup much better against the Packers than they do the Patriots. I could see Buffalo "stealing" one from Green Bay.

to be fair, Brady threw some dimes too. That back shoulder TD pass to Lafell should be illegal - there's no guarding that. He also dropped a dime in to Gronk which was a tough catch to make, but he had a legitimate shot at the ball.

The big difference yesterday was that Rodgers' mobility and awareness in the pocket was far superior to that of Brady.

The Bills matchup much better against the Packers than they do the Patriots. I could see Buffalo "stealing" one from Green Bay.
Rodgers also has better arm strength and accuracy. In other words, everything.

Agreed on both counts but we may be in Andy Reid territory here where the statute of limitations on how effective a coach can be with one team just ends. I don't know if I agree with that in this case but the Giants have two big questions to answer before the 2015 season:

1. It's an unquestionable fact that this roster needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Is a 69 year old coach the man to lead that process?

2. Is Eli Manning your QB of the future?

Both will have major implications for this team for the next 5 years. Mara is going to need to extremely decisive about how he handles the answer to both. Eli comes into next season with a 20+ cap hit and extending him will bring that down opening up more cap dollars but are you going to tie yourself to a 34 year old QB in the midst of a total rebuild project?

I don't have answers. What my brain and heart tells me are two different things.

j-wood

Phew.

Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 7m7 minutes ago
Zach Mettenberger moved his arms above his head in a jumping-jacks motion, indicating his shoulder is fine. #Titans

Watching the hit again, and the ball was gone before Watt hit Mett and then drove him into the ground. Should have been roughing.

B3y51fyCMAAW6QA.png

Maybe this has something to do with the lack of a pass rush from the Patriots. Rodgers' scrambling ability scared them so much they only rushed two and had three linemen act essentially as spies.
Listen to Rodgers' post-game press conference, he explains how the Patriots were covering him.
If you want the Pats to blitz him more, you're showing a Lions fan-tier knowledge of the game.

Trey

Rodgers also has better arm strength and accuracy. In other words, everything.

He's the better QB right now, no doubt.

As an impartial observer I agree with this totally sane, non-homerish opinion.

Obviously bias creeps into all opinions, but I look at the kind of teams that give the Packers problems, and it's the kind of team Buffalo is.

Patriots on the other hand are pretty much built in all ways to defeat the Bills. Have been for a decade.

MechDX

Phew.

Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsports 7m7 minutes ago
Zach Mettenberger moved his arms above his head in a jumping-jacks motion, indicating his shoulder is fine. #Titans

Watching the hit again, and the ball was gone before Watt hit Mett and then drove him into the ground. Should have been roughing.

No it shouldn't have.

Pro

to be fair, Brady threw some dimes too. That back shoulder TD pass to Lafell should be illegal - there's no guarding that.

Rodgers' roll out to the right and hitting Starks in motion down the sideline says hello. Anyone have a gif of that throw? Nobody else makes that throw.

LevelNth

Banned
It's so disappointing that Harbaugh won't fire Roman. As unlikely as it may be, with the Cards in a free fall right now and a possible Hawks loss to the Eagles next week, the Niners still stand a chance of making the playoffs.

Colasante

Listen to Rodgers' post-game press conference, he explains how the Patriots were covering him.
If you want the Pats to blitz him more, you're showing a Lions fan-tier knowledge of the game.

I didn't say I wanted them to blitz. In what world would sending more than two rushers be considered a blitz? This conservative approach worked to a certain extent, as the Packers only scored 3 points in the second half, taking into consideration the dropped touchdown and missed field goal. That being said, I don't like sending two rushers like that, it's a near total waste, almost as bad as sending no one at all. I think they did what they had to do with the players they had, which is why I wish Chandler Jones had been healthy for the game. He's simply better at getting to the quarterback than Akeem Ayers, Rob Ninkovich, or Dominique Easley.

Top Bottom