• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 13 |OT| California Gurls

eznark

Banned
He may be our opponent this week but God damn Rodgers is good. Why he didn't play like that against Seattle or new Orleans is still a mystery(I don't really buy the "had a pulled hamstring" excuse)

Rodgers QB rating in the NO game, despite two tipped interceptions, was about equal to Tom Brady's career QB rating. (94 v. 96) and identical to Brady's game v. Detroit.

Colasante

I completely agree, it's got me quite down on Jones. He works his ass off, but he gets hurt quite a bit, and he's lacking. He's a solid pass rusher, but not a major gamechanger, so his weaknesses really outweigh his positives. Seriously it sounds ridiculous, but the loss of Mayo and Jones have played a big role in the turnaround of the run defense.

This is just not accurate. Jones doesn't get hurt quite a bit, he played almost every single snap last season, playing 16 games after playing 14 his rookie season. He doesn't have problems setting the edge, except for the Chiefs game this season when every defender played poorly and the Miami game when he was playing a 3-4 defensive end.

To suggest that the Patriots defense has gotten better because Jones is it out is just ludicrous. Maybe the addition of Browner to the defense and the improvement Revis has shown since the first games had something to do with it? Maybe the addition of Alan Branch, in place of Joe Vellano, had something to do with it? This revisionist history about Jones is just silly.

eznark

Banned
A guy who completes 72% of his passes for over 400 yards needing an "excuse" for why he didn't play better tells you all you need to know about Godgers...or the poster who claimed it was some sort of dismal performance.

you decide!

MRSA

Banned
unnamed6.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
A guy who completes 72% of his passes for over 400 yards needing an "excuse" for why he didn't play better tells you all you need to know about Godgers...or the poster who claimed it was some sort of dismal performance.

you decide!

He was good, but don't use that QB rating garbage. Chad Pennington was in the top 10 for a long time, and Tony Romo is in the top 3 all time. It's a skewed stat too given the way the game has evolved. That being said Rodgers is incredible.

eznark

Banned
He was good, but don't use that QB rating garbage. Chad Pennington was in the top 10 for a long time, and Tony Romo is in the top 3 all time. It's a skewed stat too given the way the game has evolved. That being said Rodgers is incredible.

There is nothing inherently garbage about it, it's a tool. Using it to compare performances can be useful. To be honest, his qb rating was lower than his actual performance in that Saints game because like I said, his interceptions were catchable tipped balls.

It's just amazing to me that someone would claim that that game was some sort of abysmal performance. To be fair though I guess not everyone watches all the game. Skip probably told him Rodgers sucked in that game.

You realize that when Romo (and to a lesser extent Pennington) were healthy they are very good. Particularly Romo. What a bizarre guy to call out.

Colasante

There is nothing inherently garbage about it, it's a tool. Using it to compare performances can be useful. To be honest, his qb rating was lower than his actual performance in that Saints game because like I said, his interceptions were catchable tipped balls.

It's just amazing to me that someone would claim that that game was some sort of abysmal performance. To be fair though I guess not everyone watches all the game. Skip probably told him Rodgers sucked in that game.

You don't have to be argumentative about this. Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Patriots7

Incorrect. The best defensive player on the Pats is Revis period. There's no arguing that point. Jones is very good, but he isn't that elite pass rusher. Revis is easily elite, and arguably the best or one of the best players at his position. Same can't be said for Jones.
Wilfork gets no respect. The man, though not appearing on stat sheets, has been wreaking havoc all year. So glad he's back.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

You realize that when Romo (and to a lesser extent Pennington) were healthy they are very good. Particularly Romo. What a bizarre guy to call out.

Sure Romo does some good stuff, but at the end of the day he doesn't belong in the conversation of all time greats, do I really have to explain that to you? Pennington was fine, but never a franchise changer, he was more like alex smith plus. Besides David garrard is right behind him on that list, and not far behind him is cutler.

Why do we keep talking about how historically bad the NFC South is? Let's take a moment to appreciate how historically good the AFC North is, with each team at least 3 games over .500.

Colasante

Why do we keep talking about how historically bad the NFC South is? Let's take a moment to appreciate how historically good the AFC North is, with each team at least 3 games over .500.

Because the AFC North only has those impressive records because they're facing the NFC South (and AFC South)...

Romo even with the bad back has been playing really well

From Shutdown Corner
Tony Romo since fracturing the transverse process in his back: 38-of-53 for 521 yards, seven touchdowns, zero interceptions and one last-minute, game-winning touchdown drive. Someday more people will appreciate how good he is.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Romo even with the bad back has been playing really well

From Shutdown Corner

Again Romo is fine, but let's not pretend he's a top QB all time. We all know his downfalls. Guy is a turnover machine in crucial moments. Every year is the year he "proves that wrong", but he continues to solidify that notion.

Forbiden

I may be jumping to concousins here because you quoted my post, but I never specifically said Rodgers had an abysmal game against the saints. I dont, however, buy that he had a pulled hamstring and that it was what affected his game that night.

Again Romo is fine, but let's not pretend he's a top QB all time. We all know his downfalls. Guy is a turnover machine in crucial moments. Every year is the year he "proves that wrong", but he continues to solidify that notion.

Top 10 all time? No of course not...Top 10 right now? Maybe even top 5? Absolutely. People praise Brett Farve as one of the best and he was a turnover machine as well and don't even bring up superbowls or playoff wins, that's a worthless metric when comparing QBs.

Greg

I may be jumping to concousins here because you quoted my post, but I never specifically said Rodgers had an abysmal game against the saints. I dont, however, buy that he had a pulled hamstring and that it was what affected his game that night.
wat

did you watch that game?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Top 10 all time? No of course not...Top 10 right now? Maybe even top 5? Absolutely. People praise Brett Farve as one of the best and he was a turnover machine as well and don't even bring up superbowls or playoff wins, that's a worthless metric when comparing QBs.

Favre was significantly better than Romo in the prime of his career. Besides Favre really tarnished his legacy in the final few years, as a guy who couldn't win the big game. Romo isn't top 5 for me right now, but he's damn good. He was amazing when he had TO then he played like shit and blew it like he usually does.

Top Bottom