• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 13 |OT| California Gurls

Slo

Pretty Sad Story About Darryl Talley. So easy to like hose 90s Bills players.

I don't want to wish ill health on any anybody so don't get me wrong, but I've got a family full of 55-65 year old uncles/dad who spent their lives swinging hammers and laying bricks. Their bodies are a disaster after 40 years of abuse, they're all about to have heart attacks, and they did it for a working class salary. Knees, backs, hips, shoulders, pretty much all gone. When a man gets into his 50s, body parts just start falling off anyway, but it's worse for people that actually used theirs during their life.

I don't really understand the expectation of people who think they can run into walls with their head for a living, but then when you get to be middle aged you expect to be in better physical condition than the average 55 year old? Or that you can buy a house that only a millionaire can afford, but stop cashing those fat millionaire paychecks in your early 30s but not have it repossessed?

Christ, I work in an office all day and I feel like my body is breaking down at 35.

Even eznark liked it.

Haters gonna hate but I'm hyped as hell for it. It's going to be better than the prequels and that's all I'm asking for really. I can't turn myself into a 7 year old again so obviously these won't be as good as the original trilogy but who gives a shit? It's going to be fantastic.

edit: Star Trek reboot was awesome. I liked the sequel a lot too!

It's just fantastic to get some Star Wars footage that doesn't look like some blandly lit CG environment. The prequels were fucking cartoons (and awful).

Thought the trailer was perfect for what it was - a teaser. Also loved that they didn't use any of the old cast in it.

The first Trek reboot was great. The sequel...less so.

LevelNth

Banned
Florio does it again, in response to Trent Baalke's daughter tweeting out that Roman can take a hike:

So could Cassie Baalke’s deleted tweet become the equivalent of Gavrilo Princip’s bullet? While there’s a good chance Archduke Ferdinand already has been dead for months, it’s the kind of tangible event that could trigger the kind of snide back and forth between G.M. and coach that turns a crack into a compound fracture.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The last Star Trek was the best movie that year. The old ones are what's garbage.

LeF80EV.gif

LJ11

That is a sad story. It is easy to say the NFL should do more to help former players, but then I ask my self how culpable I am in this as a fan. I tune in every Sunday, pay for merchandise, go to games. I read tragic stories, but don't do shit about it. Can fans even do anything?

It also makes you wonder how many other former players have similar stories. Players shouldn't need to fake disabilities to receive adequate compensation and help.

Yeah, it's the nature of the beast, these guys put their lives at risk so we can be entertained for a few hours every week. Some of these guys make poor business decisions, they live in the now, but the health issues are unavoidable. It's a real shame. NFL did a piss poor job in the past as well, shameful really.

I don't want to wish ill health on any anybody so don't get me wrong, but I've got a family full of 55-65 year old uncles/dad who spent their lives swinging hammers and laying bricks. Their bodies are a disaster after 40 years of abuse, they're all about to have heart attacks, and they did it for a working class salary. Knees, backs, hips, shoulders, pretty much all gone. When a man gets into his 50s, body parts just start falling off anyway, but it's worse for people that actually used theirs during their life.

I don't really understand the expectation of people who think they can run into walls with their head for a living, but then when you get to be middle aged you expect to be in better physical condition than the average 55 year old? Or that you can buy a house that only a millionaire can afford, but stop cashing those fat millionaire paychecks in your early 30s but not have it repossessed?

Christ, I work in an office all day and I feel like my body is breaking down at 35.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. My lower back hurts often because I'm sitting for 10-11 hour days. My father was a merchant marine and then switched to being an iron worker, man has taken a beating, working since the age of 15, never finished high school. Nothing these guys can do, occupational hazard, but the way the NFL tried to sweep some of this stuff up, absolutely shameful. There was no reason to attack the people conducting CTE studies, but they did, it was disgusting.

jbug617

Banned
What you guys buy for gaming so far?

I got these from Best Buy for $64.47

NBA 2k15 (PS4)
Diablo 3 (PS4)
Lego Marvel (PS4)

Got Shadow of Mordor for $24.99 from New Egg

I ended up buying NHL 15 for XB1 due to their BF sale.

eznark

Banned

Pretty much. The body stuff sucks but if you're going to pretend you had no idea a life of football would take you're a fool. North Dallas Forty released in the 70s and Nick Nolte was a wreck! I think that was a documentary.

As far as the financial stuff, I find that even harder to fret about. This guy had every chance in the world to make something of 14 years worth of six figure salaries. That's a fuck of a lot better chance than most people have. Problem seems to be he failed to adjust his expectations when that salary went away.

Yeah it stinks that his life is tough now, but I'm pretty sure most people think their lives are tough. For gods sake, I'm struggling to find a solution to switching audio between my PC, ps4 and WiiU in my office since they are hooked up to a monitor without speakers. Right now I am using three different head sets! And this guy thinks he knows pain and anguish?

Seriously though, life is hard. Just because you had it good for fifteen years doesn't mean you are entitled to have it good forever.

bionic77

Pretty much. The body stuff sucks but if you're going to pretend you had no idea a life of football would take you're a fool. North Dallas Forty released in the 70s and Nick Nolte was a wreck! I think that was a documentary.

As far as the financial stuff, I find that even harder to fret about. This guy had every chance in the world to make something of 14 years worth of six figure salaries. That's a fuck of a lot better chance than most people have. Problem seems to be he failed to adjust his expectations when that salary went away.

Yeah it stinks that his life is tough now, but I'm pretty sure most people think their lives are tough. For gods sake, I'm struggling to find a solution to switching audio between my PC, ps4 and WiiU in my office since they are hooked up to a monitor without speakers. Right now I am using three different head sets! And this guy thinks he knows pain and anguish?

Seriously though, life is hard. Just because you had it good for fifteen years doesn't mean you are entitled to have it good forever.
Don't forget about all the glorious pussy you get as a football player in high school, college and in the pros.

Other than rock stars no one gets as much pussy.

Most people become football players to get laid. You can't complain about the injuries and being poor when you get old after that!

bionic77

I can't think of anything Hakeem was better at than Dirk. Hakeem got lucky that MJ took a hiatus while Dirk had to face the GOAT Lebron and co to get his ring.
You are a vile troll but youtube Hakeem rips balls off of MVP David Robinson and eats them in front of his team and family for wrongfully taking his award. He then ate Shaqs heart for dessert.*

Dude could carry a team by himself in his prime on both ends. In a way we have not seen since.

* schooling Ewing counts for nothing.

brentech

For gods sake, I'm struggling to find a solution to switching audio between my PC, ps4 and WiiU in my office since they are hooked up to a monitor without speakers. Right now I am using three different head sets! And this guy thinks he knows pain and anguish?
The bright side of my built in speaker monitors....(I also still have a pc speaker system I bought in like '99 or 2000. I still switch my headphones from ps4 to pc far too often, but I don't feel like leaving a bunch of different headsets plugged in with wires everywhere).

On the other hand, the lowest possible volume is louder than I'd like at times. Especially when I have DTV going through one and just want a super whisper so I can turn it up if I'm actually interested in what's being said.

It's a hard knock life since getting that third monitor in here.

Respect

I can't think of anything Hakeem was better at than Dirk. Hakeem got lucky that MJ took a hiatus while Dirk had to face the GOAT Lebron and co to get his ring.

Love Dirk, but would take Hakeem over him anytime...Though the rockets were fortunate, Seattle would have been the only team to stop them and they were able to avoid them simply because Seattle couldn't get out of the first round.

Tom Penny

You are a vile troll but youtube Hakeem rips balls off of MVP David Robinson and eats them in front of his team and family for wrongfully taking his award. He then ate Shaqs heart for dessert.*

Dude could carry a team by himself in his prime on both ends. In a way we have not seen since.

* schooling Ewing counts for nothing.

He definitely schooled Shaq who put up 28/12.5/6.3 and 2.5 blocks in his third year in the Finals..

JCizzle

Fuck the Colts.

What you guys buy for gaming so far?

I got these from Best Buy for $64.47

NBA 2k15 (PS4)
Diablo 3 (PS4)
Lego Marvel (PS4)

Got Shadow of Mordor for $24.99 from New Egg

I ended up buying NHL 15 for XB1 due to their BF sale.
Battlefield 4 and battlefield premium x1
Metro Redux ps4

JABEE

Trailer looked great.

People are complaining about hilts?

It's a fantasy world where people fight with swords, lightning bolts, etc.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Trailer looked great.

People are complaining about hilts?

It's a fantasy world where people fight with swords, lightning bolts, etc.

It's going to make like 2 billion dollars and then a bunch more because of merchandise. I'm going in expecting to be very entertained instead of seeing the sci-fi version of the Godfather (some people think the Godfather is a bad movie too though).

I'm not sure what some people want exactly. I think the vast majority will be thoroughly entertained.

Top Bottom