• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

Farooq

Banned
Are we done with the mobile QBs? The QBs that can make spontaneous plays but don't learn subtleties and nuances from playing within the pocket because of their running abilities.

Doomsayer

Random thought:

I see a lot of Denver fans talking about the "newfound" run game. Didn't they say the same thing last year when Moreno was tearing up the league for all of December? I swear this almost feels like Deja Vu. I didn't watch the Broncos game yesterday, was it as close as the score indicated? Did Buffalo give them a run?

You really want Mr. One-Read with his #swag, #beats, and #shoecollection?

I mean, I want you to want that but I just want to make sure.

Yes I do. I would love to see Chip work with him and see how he does in this system. Hell Foles and Buttfumble have won games in this system and Kap is much better then either of those guys. I would love to get IRGIII to. Give me all the busted read option guys. We could have a QB competition where the first guy to sucessfully read a page of the playbook gets the job.

eznark

Banned
Are we done with the mobile QBs? The QBs that can make spontaneous plays but don't learn subtleties and nuances from playing within the pocket because of their running abilities.

Not at all. I do think we're probably done with college style one-read QB's who get their pre-snap reads from the sidelines. That was a fun little experiment after the NFL allowed the helmet headsets to stay on so late into the playclock, but it's proven a lot less effective in the pro game. I think you'll see teams start to value football intelligence again.

Sorry Jameis.

MechDX

Midland, Texas.

It's already a packed flight because Houston to Midland is a major oil and gas route.

But I could have driven this shit by the time I get there.

Going to miss your free Slushie tomorrow. :(

I'm positive about everything else though!

image.php

Relax

MechDX

Lance Allan ‏@lanceallan · 5m5 minutes ago
My sources indicate Brett Favre @Favre4Official is on a plane for Green Bay as we speak. Should appear at @Packers game tonight #Packers

Brent going home! free dick picks for everyone!

LJ11

Not at all. I do think we're probably done with college style one-read QB's who get their pre-snap reads from the sidelines. That was a fun little experiment after the NFL allowed the helmet headsets to stay on so late into the playclock, but it's proven a lot less effective in the pro game. I think you'll see teams start to value football intelligence again.

Sorry Jameis.

Marriota is going first if not top 3 and he's in the system you just described. There's no getting around this, it's how they play the game at the amateur level.

Edit: Guys like Rodgers and Romo are mobile but they aren't athletic freaks, I'd take them!

Sorry Jameis.

Dillfer said that Winston had the highest football IQ of any college QB, so maybe he will be okay after all.

eznark

Banned
^ I mean, at some point you'll be wrong on enough QB's that you'll stop talking about QB's right?

Marriota is going first if not top 3 and he's in the system you just described. There's no getting around this, it's how they play the game at the amateur level.

I haven't really heard many people say that he is incapable of playing smart football though. That was always the knock against Kap in college, and RGIII once he started working in an NFL system. I like Mariotta and think he can be a successful pass first quarterback.

I'm not saying anyone out of that system will fail, I'm saying that system itself will fail. You need to have quarterbacks who can dissect a football field with their own eyes.

LevelNth

Banned
Mariota is an interesting case though. He's in the spread style, so you'd think automatically he'll fail, but he's proven a consistent ability to progress through reads. If he can learn to read at the line and adjust if necessary, I think he could be really good.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think there's something that needs to be said for drafting smart and capable quarterbacks. So the college game is played significantly different right? Then that means whoever you draft needs to be smart as all hell and unlearn a lot of what makes the college game so successful because that stuff doesn't work in the NFL. Isn't this what makes the best NFL quarterbacks the best besides talent? They're all obsessed with film and game planning...like 8 days a week.

It seems like you can draft a dude with character issues at almost any other position but the quarterback.

So basically Jameis is going to be awful and we all know it.

eznark

Banned
Mariota is an interesting case though. He's in the spread style, so you'd think automatically he'll fail, but he's proven a consistent ability to progress through reads. If he can learn to read at the line and adjust if necessary, I think he could be really good.

Yeah, the system makes him harder to judge (and the fact that he is surrounded by the best talent Nike can buy) but he seems to be able to progress through reads, sits in the pocket generally looking to throw first and in the games I've watched him, he has done a good job of climbing the pocket without totally vacating it, which leaves him able to throw accurately and is a huge skill lacking in guys like Kap, irg3 and Newton. Instead of shuffling up the pocket and keeping the routes alive, the tuck and run.

LevelNth

Banned
Yeah, the system makes him harder to judge (and the fact that he is surrounded by the best talent Nike can buy) but he seems to be able to progress through reads, sits in the pocket generally looking to throw first and in the games I've watched him, he has done a good job of climbing the pocket without totally vacating it, which leaves him able to throw accurately and is a huge skill lacking in guys like Kap, irg3 and Newton. Instead of shuffling up the pocket and keeping the routes alive, the tuck and run.
What sucks for him is that he needs to be drafted by a team that can sit him for two years before he starts, but he'll likely be taken first by the Bucs and immediately thrown out there, get eaten alive, and become the butt of many jokes on GAF by November.

MechDX

Kap's contract will deescalate down to a 13m cap hit next year, so I don't mind giving him another year to see if he can improve, but it needs a scheme change and a more dedicated run game than this year.

If not, we can still cut him in 2016 and only eat 7m with over 8m in savings. Not ideal, but better than a lot of other QB situations after they're resigned.

I really, really hope he can turn it around though.

Probably going to laugh at me but Kubiaks ZBS system would seem to be a fit for him. Heavy run , simple and quick short throws, no more than 3 reads and lots of bootlegs. Oh and no audibling ever.

eznark

Banned
What sucks for him is that he needs to be drafted by a team that can sit him for two years before he starts, but he'll likely be taken first by the Bucs and immediately thrown out there, get eaten alive, and become the butt of many jokes on GAF by November.

I dunno, it looks to me like the Saints are in kind of a fucking awesome position to draft their next QB and groom him for a year or two.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Give Kap to the Eagles please.

Kaep would be amazing in Chip's offense. He is the least of the 49ers offensive problems...don't let all the fan hand-wringing and talk show know-nothings convince you otherwise. There are exactly zero QBs in the NFL who would be successful with the 49er offense at this point.

jmdajr

So Texans apparently own all the tie breakers if they win out. Those wins against the Titans and Jags count for a lot apparently!

Not sure how we win this weekend unless Andrew Luck gets Ebola between now and Sunday.

eznark

Banned
Kaep would be amazing in Chip's offense. He is the least of the 49ers offensive problems...don't let all the fan hand-wringing and talk show know-nothings convince you otherwise. There are exactly zero QBs in the NFL who would be successful with the 49er offense at this point.

oh

LevelNth

Banned
I dunno, it looks to me like the Saints are in kind of a fucking awesome position to draft their next QB and groom him for a year or two.
This is an ideal situation, but I'm not sure he falls that far. I think the best the Saints can draft is like 8th or so won't it be?

He's going to be Top 5 for sure I think. Hell if he falls that far the Niners will be around 15-16, I'd want them to trade up and grab him.

see5harp

About the only good thing I can say about Kaep is that his contract isn't bad. Dude looked like he was about to have a tantrum and cry during the post game so fuck that bitch.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Barnwell had a nice breakdown this morning on how broken this offense is at this point.

No protection, no running game, predictable timing of plays, predictable calling of plays, no wide receiver separation...yeah...no QB could do shit with this dumpster fire.

manfestival

we drafted glennon and freeman. Glennon there might be hope for and Freeman was a product of Raheem having secret college affairs with students.

Hopefully we do the right thing and draft someone worthy for once at QB. According to what I have read, our scouts have been at FSU games quite often this season. Maybe its a sign?

Syrinx

we drafted glennon and freeman. Glennon there might be hope for and Freeman was a product of Raheem having secret college affairs with students.

Hopefully we do the right thing and draft someone worthy for once at QB. According to what I have read, our scouts have been at FSU games quite often this season. Maybe its a sign?
No.

No.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

GG Chiefs-GAF. I expected us to win because of how we match on paper but Charles said fuck your couch and had that monster play. We still held him below 100 yards so old man Jackson is the only one to achieve it this season. Two allowed TDs to him though, unacceptable. I don't know what the hell was wrong with the defense in the first half but it was really disconcerting after how they played in Atlanta. Thankfully, we went back to our second half adjusting ways and prevented points in the latter half. I'm glad we didn't allow any receiving TDs, would suck to have been the first to allow it ha The injury train continues, choo choo! Cromartie out (rumor is it isn't serious, thankfully) John Brown went out (walked off on own steam so hoping not serious) Ellington getting hernia surgery so gone for the season.... Clearly the Football gods were not happy with us dominating the league all season and are shitting on us as hard as they can. The bright side was our practice squad running back ran all over KC for 100 yards jnc. We now have to play the most physical team in the league on a short week in their house after they shut out two teams in a row...weeeeeeee! We're still a flat out better team but we're so banged up that I'm not too confident. At least we'll get a nice long rest before playing the Chickens in our house where we're still undefeated! 7-0 at home, baby!

Does Green Bay hold the tiebreaker over Arizona and Dallas should we all finish 12-4? I think Arizona lost to Atlanta.

I'm pretty sure we'd have the tie breaker over you as I believe we have the best conference record and we'd be tied in division record in this scenario if you've only lost to DET which I believe is the case. You losing to Detroit cancels out us losing to SEA and you losing to NO cancels out us losing to ATL. Ah yeah, you lost to SEA so you have more conference losses as we lost to Broncos who are obviously out of conference.

zychi

Banned
Homeland is getting so good. I'm like 4 episodes behind on TWD now, and have no desire to catchup since I've been spoiled.

bionic77

Ike Taylor on not finishing the game:

“If you’re not able to go 100 percent you have to sit your butt down,” Taylor said. "I felt like, ‘Man, I can’t keep putting my team in that situation.’ As much as I want to be out there, playing corner you have to be able to run.

“Pretty much everybody, including the coaching staff, agreed.”

Nice for him to understand that he sucks...
Actually that is pretty big of him.

Most NFL players would not do that even though sometimes taking yourself out does benefit the team.

Remember Jay Cutler?

Syrinx

Ultimately what the Bucs should do should they indeed get the first pick depends entirely on whether or not they fire Lovie. If he stays, they shouldn't go anywhere near a qb. They should trade down and make the Jets or Titans or someone else pay draft picks out the ass to move up and get Mariota. At which point we start improving the dismal o-line. If Lovie is out and they bring in an offensive minded guy, then yeah, go for Mariota.

Colasante

I so utterly dread the idea of having to watch Marcus Mariota in Lovie Smith's offense next season. I hope the Eagles trade up for him just to spare us that.

Top Bottom