• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

Smarter, better, blah blah blah, the important thing that Wilson does is stays calm and tries to keep plays alive. Kaep panics and bails, then chucks it or keeps it. That first play of the game yesterday is Krappernick in a nutshell.

Sounds like better to me. You just wanted to shit on Kaepernick admit it.

cdyhybrid

First off, everybody has the worst everything.

Second, I think Russell is a smarter and better QB than Kaepernick, and keeps his eyes downfield as a rule, but I also feel that his entire style (and the read option as a whole) is predicated on a sound running game. When Lynch was floundering and the Seahawks had to perform without him the entire team looked cooked, including Russ.

Lynch was never floundering. They just wouldn't give him the ball.

Slandering the south is a very Patriots thing to do.

On the contrary, that traditional southern racism is right up Boston's alley!

Fox318

Its true.

I have some more bad news for you. Gata is your son.

dShiwfD.gif

see5harp

Please Kaep better than Russell? Kaep can't even complete half of his attempts or go an entire game without throwing a pick. Dude had 30 yards in the first half of the Seattle game. They better not pay VD's lazy ass. Even when he was targetted this year he dropped simple ass passes.

ACE 1991

I've finally begun to accept that the Eagles just can't hang with elite teams yet, and I don' think we are going to get there anytime soon. I can't see how we'll be able to draft or trade for significantly better corner backs AND a QB in the off-season. Sanchez is a good backup, and Foles just isn't franchise caliber. I'm afraid that our aging star players aren't going to get to see these positions fixed while they are still great... Are we doomed to eternally being a really good but not great team? :(

JABEE

What annoys me most about yesterday's game is that the Eagles only lost by 10 points. This is with the awful Shady turnover at the beginning of the half and the quick field goal at the end of the 1st half.

The Eagles were just out-possessed. Even when the Eagles defense produced turnovers, Sanchez and the offense failed miserably. The Eagles left their defense out there for over 40 minutes yesterday.

The Eagles need solid QB play right now, and I think they're going to have a hard time getting it. There were some plays to be made out there yesterday, and Sanchez either missed it or threw it into the hands of the opposition.

That Jenkins dropped pick six with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter solidified the defeat. He pulls that in and the Eagles are down by three. Sanchez does anything, but heave the ball to Riley Cooper on the first play and you have a chance at getting points on that drive.

It was a game that the Eagles felt dominated, but were clearly in the game for most of it. Plays were there to be made. The Eagles forced turnovers and played well. They gave up 14 of their points off an awful PI call and a Shady fumble on the first play after a touchback.

This game drives you nuts when winning it could have been the difference between a comfortable position in the race to a first-round bye, and a chance to missing out on the playoffs in the NFC.

I have confidence in the Eagles the rest of the way, but this team still needs to improve at QB, CB, and WR if they want to be powers in the league. The Eagles need an off season like Denver had.

Fantomex

It seems mobile quarterbacks like RG3, Wilson, Cunningham or whatever have a bigger risk of getting hurt and then sucking. Wilson probably won't get hurt because dude has that sturdy build

JABEE

I've finally begun to accept that the Eagles just can't hang with elite teams yet, and I don' think we are going to get there anytime soon. I can't see how we'll be able to draft or trade for significantly better corner backs AND a QB in the off-season. Sanchez is a good backup, and Foles just isn't franchise caliber. I'm afraid that our aging star players aren't going to get to see these positions fixed while they are still great... Are we doomed to eternally being a really good but not great team? :(

They kind of did hang with the Seahawks for most of the game though. The Eagles squandered opportunities that they created to beat the Hawks. They forced turnovers on ST and on defense. They lost by 10 points even though the Eagles stopped the Seahawks running game.

cdyhybrid

Was it ever determined why? I figured they were trying to de emphasize him due to him being gone next year, was that it?

He was banged up a bit (back issues), but he still played, so it couldn't have been that bad. I really don't know. I mean, all running backs are banged up in some fashion once you get to the middle of the season. If it was bad enough to give him less carries, I figure it would make more sense to just sit him down and let him heal up instead of giving him 10 carries a game or something.

ACE 1991

They kind of did hang with the Seahawks for most of the game though. The Eagles squandered opportunities that they created to beat the Hawks. They forced turnovers on ST and on defense. They lost by 10 points even though the Eagles stopped the Seahawks running game.

I was pretty impressed by the Eagles defense to be honest, they kept the 'Hawks offense honest for almost the entire game, despite being on the field constantly. The fact that Sanchez and the offense struggled so badly to get even one first down on a bunch of drives makes me feel like we lost this game considerably worse than the scoreboard reflects. I just can't help but dream about where this team would be if we had a significantly above average QB. Sanchez and Foles are by no means god awful, but a team with this much potential needs a quarterback to match its firepower.

see5harp

Remember when FMT flipped out on me for criticizing Kaep's ability to not be an idiot?

He flipped out on me for saying Kaep sucked. This one after 1 quarter of the seahawks game and he was trotting out his QBR and numbers. By the 4th quarter FMT was done defending. I think he finally realizes that Kaep is shit and that we've been living on our defense for the better part of 4 years now. The next step for niners fans to realize is that Vernon Davis is done and that he hasn't been good since Alex Smith was the QB.

manfestival

I went to a bucs game this season. It ended in one of the most infuriating ways possible by losing via a ref mandated clock run-off.

:(

cdyhybrid

The Hawks Eagles game was almost entirely on the Eagles' offense. You can't give up 70% TOP and put up 300 yards less than your average and hope to win. We're a ball-control offense and ran 30 more plays than a hurry-up team - that's crazy.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
To be fair, 2 of the sacks were pretty cheap ones that almost any other player would make. He's still a great player, that wasn't his best game.
He also had at least one batted ball that I recall, and a couple TFLs, one where he essentially threw the OLman out of the way for a ten yard loss.

I wouldn't quite call that ST turnover forced. But I agree with you generally.

They still can't win a superbowl though.

I just don't understand how Sanchez forgot how to throw a catchable pass in just over a week.

njean777

What annoys me most about yesterday's game is that the Eagles only lost by 10 points. This is with the awful Shady turnover at the beginning of the half and the quick field goal at the end of the 1st half.

The Eagles were just out-possessed. Even when the Eagles defense produced turnovers, Sanchez and the offense failed miserably. The Eagles left their defense out there for over 40 minutes yesterday.

The Eagles need solid QB play right now, and I think they're going to have a hard time getting it. There were some plays to be made out there yesterday, and Sanchez either missed it or threw it into the hands of the opposition.

That Jenkins dropped pick six with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter solidified the defeat. He pulls that in and the Eagles are down by three. Sanchez does anything, but heave the ball to Riley Cooper on the first play and you have a chance at getting points on that drive.

It was a game that the Eagles felt dominated, but were clearly in the game for most of it. Plays were there to be made. The Eagles forced turnovers and played well. They gave up 14 of their points off an awful PI call and a Shady fumble on the first play after a touchback.

This game drives you nuts when winning it could have been the difference between a comfortable position in the race to a first-round bye, and a chance to missing out on the playoffs in the NFC.

I have confidence in the Eagles the rest of the way, but this team still needs to improve at QB, CB, and WR if they want to be powers in the league. The Eagles need an off season like Denver had.

Yeah just atrocious offense all around. It doesn't help that some calls were very questionable. I really think we did ok in that game, just blew a lot of plays. I think if we play them again we can beat them. Seattle didn't do incredible even though the sports media acts like they stopped the 2nd coming of Christ.

linkboy

San Francisco's offensive problems aren't just one person (kaepernick, who people are blaming, he's only a part), its a total failure of all parts.

The coaching has been nothing short of abysmal. Play calling hasn't been adjusted all season, they go away from something when its working. They're downright terrible in the red zone (have been in all 4 of harbaugh's seasons). The milking of the play clock is by design. Roman calls two (or ore) plays and then sends them down to harbaugh who relays them to Colin, colin then reads the defense and makes the call based on what he reads. The issue is that leaves very little time left on the play clock if Roman takes to long getting plays.

The 49ers passing route design has been about as simple as you can get. They don't scheme to get WR's open. Their passing attack is dedicated on the WR being able to make a play over the DB. They don't have any speed at the position, so they need to scheme guys open, instead its basic routes which any DB can pick up on.

The line has always been terrible at pass blocking, now they just can't block period.

Vernon has never had great technique at catching a football (he uses his body to much), now he just doesn't give a shit.

You can tell from harbaugh's body language that he's just going through the motions. The fiery, animated guy that he's been has been gone this year.

Here's all you have to do to defeat the 49ers this season:

Drop 8 men in the box to stop the run

or blitz Kaepernick, he's going to be in a 5-7 step drop and looking 25-30 yards down field with nobody to throw the ball to

Teams have figured out the 49ers offense and nothing has been done to compensate for that.

Spinluck

Because all the old rich fucks and young rich fucks come down and retire there.

I went to the Art Basel in South Florida this past Friday with my female companion. It was awesome, saw people from all over the world and stuff. I had no clue Miami had this type of thing. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio was there and brought 20 chicks onto a boat, sounds like a rapist's paradise.

I have never seen so many old out of shape dudes with young hot girls in my life. It was like everyone was cosplaying Robert Kraft and that one girl except they were better looking than the real thing. I just assume it's because they have lots of money (and maybe a big dick). Or hey, maybe old dudes are in now.

Anyway, I saw this kid buy this $5,000 straight from Japan wallpaper for his dad. I haven't felt that poor in a while, to just drop 5gs on fucking wall paper smh. Now that I think about it, he dressed kind of like Lunchbox.

jakncoke

Banned
So Dalton played well and the Bengals still got slaughtered. How does that happen? What the fuck happened in that game? I went into the mall at half time.

Ike Taylor going to the bench sure helped. It really snowballed out of control after Dalton fumbled on a read option

Our locker room is going to implode any day now!

Niners imploding, losing coach after this season. Chickens lose Beastmode next year and Wussel will be FULLY exposed. Cardinals get a trillion players back and win the division with ease. Next year will be the year of the Cardinal! I thought it'd be this year though :( Whatever, still on top so "Don't stop, belieeeeeeviiiiiiiing"! Yes I know you'll get your OL back next year but Wussel still sucks.

JABEE

I wouldn't quite call that ST turnover forced. But I agree with you generally.

They still can't win a superbowl though.

I just don't understand how Sanchez forgot how to throw a catchable pass in just over a week.

It's almost like he really did choke. I know he isn't a good QB, but he looked like a completely different guy against the Cowboys. That first throw that almost got picked off by Sherman looked like it made him gun shy. Even on that INT, Sanchez had the option to run the ball for the first down or throw it to a wide open Matthew running a post.

It seemed like Sanchez went away from picking on the matchups Matthews and our TEs had on guys. You would see Cooper catching balls well before the sticks and Sanchez rolling to the ground to avoid contact, just short of a first down.

The biggest issue the Eagles had was how the running game couldn't get going. Where the fuck was Polk yesterday? Shady may have had a rough week with his live-in cousin dying in a car crash, but the Eagles had options.

There were also zero screen plays called. The Eagles never really had enough time with the ball to call a varied game. The Eagles offense was going three and out. The Seahawks were extending drives with low percentage third and long plays/penalties. The Eagles couldn't get anything going.

It seems that the Eagles have more trouble with 3rd and 15 than they have with 3rd and short. Seth Joyner said the Eagles only had 10 defensive players on the field for the Marshawn Lynch TD. So many confusing things happened yesterday. I still think the Eagles can hand with the Hawks if scared Sanchez doesn't show up and they can get the running game going. The Eagles dropped chances to win the game yesterday with the Shady fumble, the PI call, and the Jenkins dropped pick six.

There's no question the Seahawks outplayed the Eagles. I'm just afraid that we will never see a consistent Sanchez this season. My hope is that Foles's time off with his injury will give him some time to reset his mechanics and head for the playoffs. We're probably going to need him.

I just watch Friday's episode of Girl meets World. I was pretty dope seeing the most of the old cast outside of Eric. Pretty nostalgic episode for me.

Niners imploding, losing coach after this season. Chickens lose Beastmode next year and Wussel will be FULLY exposed. Cardinals get a trillion players back and win the division with ease. Next year will be the year of the Cardinal! I thought it'd be this year though :( Whatever, still on top so "Don't stop, belieeeeeeviiiiiiiing"! Yes I know you'll get your OL back next year but Wussel still sucks.

Gotta get past the Rams tho.

#RestoreTheBaaa

Here's all you have to do to defeat the 49ers this season:

or blitz Kaepernick, he's going to be in a 5-7 step drop and looking 25-30 yards down field with nobody to throw the ball to

Kap is actually good against the blitz. Teams are getting to him with 4 or even 3 down linemen while dropping everyone into zone and spying him. The trick is to make him hold the ball and make a decision.

Top Bottom