• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

Just thinking back to when the 9ers demolished the Packers in the playoffs and everyone marveled over the revolutionary new prototype mobile QB and Harbaugh's fancy offense that would take over the league. Capers was just a washed up and outdated coordinator stuck in the 1970s and Rodgers was said to be the last relic of the old type of QB. Now they can't even manage a win against the Raiders

Fun times.

OK maybe that Capers thing still applies :p. But just like usual, looking back at all the hyperbole is fun

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

:jnc I love Joique. Guy went from security guard at Ford Field to our best running back. I don't think I saw Riddick on the field once yesterday. If those screens to Bush don't start working soon I think we'll see more of him.

The Packers are due for a let down game anyday now.....

gratin.gif

It's almost like he really did choke. I know he isn't a good QB, but he looked like a completely different guy against the Cowboys. That first throw that almost got picked off by Sherman looked like it made him gun shy. Even on that INT, Sanchez had the option to run the ball for the first down or throw it to a wide open Matthew running a post.

It seemed like Sanchez went away from picking on the matchups Matthews and our TEs had on guys. You would see Cooper catching balls well before the sticks and Sanchez rolling to the ground to avoid contact, just short of a first down.

The biggest issue the Eagles had was how the running game couldn't get going. Where the fuck was Polk yesterday? Shady may have had a rough week with his live-in cousin dying in a car crash, but the Eagles had options.

There were also zero screen plays called. The Eagles never really had enough time with the ball to call a varied game. The Eagles offense was going three and out. The Seahawks were extending drives with low percentage third and long plays/penalties. The Eagles couldn't get anything going.

It seems that the Eagles have more trouble with 3rd and 15 than they have with 3rd and short. Seth Joyner said the Eagles only had 10 defensive players on the field for the Marshawn Lynch TD. So many confusing things happened yesterday. I still think the Eagles can hand with the Hawks if scared Sanchez doesn't show up and they can get the running game going. The Eagles dropped chances to win the game yesterday with the Shady fumble, the PI call, and the Jenkins dropped pick six.

There's no question the Seahawks outplayed the Eagles. I'm just afraid that we will never see a consistent Sanchez this season. My hope is that Foles's time off with his injury will give him some time to reset his mechanics and head for the playoffs. We're probably going to need him.

It didn't help that the Hawks played outstandingly good football and looked every bit as dominant as they did at their height last year.

The run game not getting started is the thing that really surprised me the most, and a lot of it was McCoy, but I think the offensive line wasn't really making him any holes either. I thought that was a point where they matched up pretty well against Seattle too. I mean, I knew it wouldn't be a huge game for the run, but I expected much more than they had.

But it all comes down to the fact that Sanchez refused to run even though he had plenty of opportunities, which made the read option worthless, and that Sanchez couldn't throw easy passes to open receivers only 10-15 yards down the field. I don't even know why he tried to throw it to Cooper.

Just thinking back to when the 9ers demolished the Packers in the playoffs and everyone marveled over the revolutionary new prototype mobile QB and Harbaugh's fancy offense that would take over the league. Capers was just a washed up and outdated coordinator stuck in the 1970s and Rodgers was said to be the last relic of the old type of QB. Now they can't even manage a win against the Raiders

Fun times.

OK maybe that Capers thing still applies :p. But just like usual, looking back at all the hyperbole is fun

I remember when the Niners beat the Packers and Packers fans insisted Capers was washed up and din't know football anymore.

They kind of did hang with the Seahawks for most of the game though. The Eagles squandered opportunities that they created to beat the Hawks. They forced turnovers on ST and on defense. They lost by 10 points even though the Eagles stopped the Seahawks running game.

I don't know if you gets to double digit points without that botch punt though. Not saying Eagles can't hang, but just saying for that particular game that wasn't really hanging with us. Every team has a bad game meh w/e.... I'm still scratching my head over our Rams lost but then again who isn't?

Colasante

The Bills waived/injured WR Mike Williams. I wonder if they regret trading away Stevie Johnson and trading for Mike Williams now. I also wonder if Williams has anything left, since his disappointing Bills tenure seemed more attitude-related than skill-related from the outside.

I don't know if you gets to double digit points without that botch punt though. Not saying Eagles can't hang, but just saying for that particular game that wasn't really hanging with us. Every team has a bad game meh w/e.... I'm still scratching my head over our Rams lost but then again who isn't?

Eh, I think there were enough things that could have gone both ways in the game to balance that out. I think that PI call could have gone either way, as PI calls always seem to be 50/50 in that sort of situation, and you can maybe subtract that TD from the Seahawks total if you want to play the what if game. I would still say that hung with them even with the gift points Seattle gave them. The Eagles D kept it to a very reasonable game despite the fact they were on the field for 40 minutes.

MechDX

Had a source connected to the Browns QB decision estimate there is a 99% chance Manziel starts Sun. Maybe even 99.5%-LaCanfora

Should give Shaw a chance first

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago
Had a source connected to the Browns QB decision estimate there is a 99% chance Manziel starts Sun. Maybe even 99.5%

itshappening.gif

Mech's burning his penis as speak

You're full of it, I posted after both games like I always do. I just didn't post last week until Tue I think because I went out of state for Thanksgiving and didn't get back home until Monday evening. I posted here during 5 win seasons so don't try to infer I'm fair weathered ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=943306 -< 19
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=939289 - < 14
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=934897 - < 28

I still love you, but from 28 to 14? 50% BRO!

YERRRRP..

=)

See you in a few weeks!

Eh, I think there were enough things that could have gone both ways in the game to balance that out. I think that PI call could have gone either way, as PI calls always seem to be 50/50 in that sort of situation, and you can maybe subtract that TD from the Seahawks total if you want to play the what if game. I would still say that hung with them even with the gift points Seattle gave them. The Eagles D kept it to a very reasonable game despite the fact they were on the field for 40 minutes.

Yea but the PI gave us like 30-40 yards? We still needed another 40 yards. The botch punt put you into the red zone where you had to convert on 4th down. I don't think you go for that 4th down on your own 30. Either way... w/e. We bird bros and 9-4 bros now!

MechDX

Jason La Canfora &#8207;@JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago
Had a source connected to the Browns QB decision estimate there is a 99% chance Manziel starts Sun. Maybe even 99.5%

itshappening.gif

Mech's burning his penis as speak

I want it to happen. We all love watching a car wreck. Let the Leaf 2.0 experience commence !

JABEE

I think the same could be said of the PI penalty that Baldwin drew to set up a TD. The dropped pick six. The Eagles were losing 10-7 at half time. They then coughed the ball up.

Take away the TD from the gift McCoy fumble and the TD off the botched PI call, and you have a game that is 10-7 Seahawks. Either way the Eagles probably lose that game, but I still felt that the game could have went either way, despite our offense shitting the bed.

Our defense coming into form is going to help the Eagles win games when our offense doesn't perform. Hopefully, Sanchez can get back to being successful now that he doesn't have to face the best defense in the league next week.

Fox318

Why did they let Revis go? The whole staff should be fired for that.

Owner got sick of him sitting out of camp demanding more money. Pats are gonna have an issue with him next year. He is set to get paid $20 mil and if Revis is cut he is gonna go to the highest bidder.

Bread

Banned
Owner got sick of him sitting out of camp demanding more money. Pats are gonna have an issue with him next year. He is set to get paid $20 mil and if Revis is cut he is gonna go to the highest bidder.
Well of course he will, it would be dumb if they cut him. Hopefully they can restructure that deal into something long term to keep my beautiful Revie in new england.

Colasante

Well of course he will, it would be dumb if they cut him. Hopefully they can restructure that deal into something long term to keep my beautiful Revie in new england.

At this point, I'm sort of not worried about Revis leaving, but it's also possible that I'm suppressing the inevitable disappointment. It's not like Bill signed Revis for $12 million expecting him to play like a bum. He knew Revis might return to form and ball out, and that he'd have to pay accordingly if that happened. I don't see any reason why the two sides wouldn't strike a deal, but you obviously never know.

Why do fans give a shit about cap room?

A team with cap room has the ability to sign free agents, trade for a player with a high salary, or extend one of its own players.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A team with cap room has the ability to sign free agents, trade for a player with a high salary, or extend one of its own players.

Idzik has shown the inability to sign guys he targets and the Jets really don't have many guys worth extending.

So I expect more salary dumps from other teams this offseason. Hooray? Wonder how much it'd take the Jets to get Cutler. Can't imagine it'd be that much.

Hopefully hes gone though.

Ike Taylor going to the bench sure helped. It really snowballed out of control after Dalton fumbled on a read option

Bungles bungled and Ben and the O were on. When they're on, they have a shot. The defense still has monstrous holes and are going to keep every game a mystery. Shitty Falcons up next, toughest remaining game on the schedule for the Steelers.

Respect

Why did they let Revis go? The whole staff should be fired for that.

From what I remember, Rex really wanted Revis and Revis really wanted to go back to the Jets, but Idzik didn't want him...thanks Idzik, sincerely pats fans. #retainidzik

EDIT: Guess woody didn't want him, makes sense. I doubt NE keeps him beyond this year, but, so far it's definitely been worth the pick up.

I didn't ask what cap room gets you. i asked why fans give a shit. Any half decent organization is going to make sure they have enough money to sign players they deem valuable or free agents they need, which leaves high priced guys, which rarely if ever turn around a team's fortunes.

I think the same could be said of the PI penalty that Baldwin drew to set up a TD. The dropped pick six. The Eagles were losing 10-7 at half time. They then coughed the ball up.

Take away the TD from the gift McCoy fumble and the TD off the botched PI call, and you have a game that is 10-7 Seahawks. Either way the Eagles probably lose that game, but I still felt that the game could have went either way, despite our offense shitting the bed.

Our defense coming into form is going to help the Eagles win games when our offense doesn't perform. Hopefully, Sanchez can get back to being successful now that he doesn't have to face the best defense in the league next week.

I disagree with the bold. I don't think the Eagles could have beaten Seattle at all the way they played. I think the game was unwinnable after Seattle took the lead. The only way I saw the Eagles winning is if they took an early lead and maintained it. As soon as it became a two possession game it was over. But I do agree that they did hang in there with Seattle. If they rematched and the Eagles were able to maintain an early lead longer into the game I think they could beat Seattle, but that is pretty much the only way.

Fox318

#RetainIdzik

if he is to stay around he needs to come out and explain this.

1. Why did he cut Cromartie?
  2. Why didn't he trade for that Revis contract?
  3. Why did half of his draft picks not even make it to the practice squad?
  4. Why did 0 of his WR picks pan out when nearly every other WR picked has panned out for other teams?
  5. Was he really expecting an injury prone rookie to replace Cromartie?
  6. Explain if he believes if he is good at talent evaluation?
  7. Why didn't he spend his extra cap money when the team clearly had holes?
  8. What did he see in Geno besides a cheap contract?
  9. If he believes he was doing the right thing and most of the faults fall on the coaching staff why didn't he fire them?
  10. Why should ticket holders and fans believe that his plan is worth the time?

zSTm7aR.png

Fun times.

Defense will always catch up to offense and have the advantage but for the league instituting rules to hamstring a defense. It has nothing to do with a running qb and everything to do with bad mechanics and accuracy.

Sleep well my sweet prince packer fsns. Kap and the big bad bully niners can't hurt you this year :(

Colasante

I didn't ask what cap room gets you. i asked why fans give a shit. Any half decent organization is going to make sure they have enough money to sign players they deem valuable or free agents they need, which leaves high priced guys, which rarely if ever turn around a team's fortunes.

Do you legitimately not understand why fans care about cap room? Fans want to see their teams win, and teams win with smart management of their cap. The Steelers and Cowboys have both seen their depth depleted because of cap mismanagement in recent years, while teams like the Patriots and Packers have remained consistent because they've managed it well. We don't live in an age where fans put their heads in the sand and pull them out to watch football on Sunday; fans are constantly engaged in watching their teams' team-building process unfold, and they see what can happen in free agency. Cap room represents the idea of overnight improvement, which every fan yearns for.

Doctors at Emory's Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta have diagnosed Georgia native and the Kansas City Chiefs’ Eric Berry with Hodgkin lymphoma after completing a medical work-up and thorough testing.

Christopher R. Flowers, MD, director of the Emory Lymphoma Program at Emory's Winship Cancer Institute, gave the following statement.

"This is a diagnosis that is very treatable and potentially curable with standard chemotherapy approaches. The goal of Mr. Berry’s treatment is to cure his lymphoma and we are beginning that treatment now.”

Berry released the following statement:

“My family and I are very grateful for the amount of support we have received over the last couple of weeks. I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate all the words of encouragement, the blessings and well wishes. I want to thank the Emory University School of Medicine, along with Dr. Flowers and his team, for all of their hard work and effort in diagnosing and creating a plan for me to battle this thing. I will embrace this process and attack it the same way I do everything else in life. God has more than prepared me for it. For everyone sharing similar struggles, I’m praying for you and keep fighting!”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/articl...c07-41ce59576816?campaign=kc:fanshare:twitter

if he is to stay around he needs to come out and explain this.

1. Why did he cut Cromartie?
  2. Why didn't he trade for that Revis contract?
  3. Why did half of his draft picks not even make it to the practice squad?
  4. Why did 0 of his WR picks pan out when nearly every other WR picked has panned out for other teams?
  5. Was he really expecting an injury prone rookie to replace Cromartie?
  6. Explain if he believes if he is good at talent evaluation?
  7. Why didn't he spend his extra cap money when the team clearly had holes?
  8. What did he see in Geno besides a cheap contract?
  9. If he believes he was doing the right thing and most of the faults fall on the coaching staff why didn't he fire them?
  10. Why should ticket holders and fans believe that his plan is worth the time?

zSTm7aR.png

Looks an awful lot like Matt Millen time in here.

vufVWPa.png

Do you legitimately not understand why fans care about cap room? Fans want to see their teams win, and teams win with smart management of their cap. The Steelers and Cowboys have both seen their depth depleted because of cap mismanagement in recent years, while teams like the Patriots and Packers have remained consistent because they've managed it well. We don't live in an age where fans put their heads in the sand and pull them out to watch football on Sunday; fans are constantly engaged in watching their teams' team-building process unfold, and they see what can happen in free agency. Cap room represents the idea of overnight improvement, which every fan yearns for.

The Steelers have not mismanaged their cap. The Steelers very purposely locked in what was at the time a championship team. They are also not the type of team to waste their money on overpriced free agents and have never had a problem paying players who actually perform. The only guys who have left recently are Emmanuel Sanders, who the Steelers had more than enough room to keep but chose to let walk (for reasons that we've gone back and forth about ad nauseum) and Mike Wallace, who is enjoying a mediocre career being overpaid in Miami.

Cap room is just some shit armchair GMs worry about when some overpriced pass rusher comes available. It's only ever an issue in the off season when bottom dwellers like the Redskins and Browns need to hype up their fanbase.

Bowser

As much as I'd love Mech to stew over JFF leading the Browns to the playoffs, unfortunately I'm gonna need the Panthers to beat that ass on our march to 7-8-1 division champs.

Colasante

The Steelers have not mismanaged their cap. The Steelers very purposely locked in what was at the time a championship team. They are also not the type of team to waste their money on overpriced free agents and have never had a problem paying players who actually perform. The only guys who have left recently are Emmanuel Sanders, who the Steelers had more than enough room to keep but chose to let walk (for reasons that we've gone back and forth about ad nauseum) and Mike Wallace, who is enjoying a mediocre career being overpaid in Miami.

Cap room is just some shit armchair GMs worry about when some overpriced pass rusher comes available. It's only ever an issue in the off season when bottom dwellers like the Redskins and Browns need to hype up their fanbase.

Wait, do Steelers fans really believe this?

Top Bottom