• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

My mom says I'm a bad person for wanting interest from my 11 year old brother if he borrows 10 bucks from me to buy Pokemon.

I think it would be a wise lesson for him.

Tamanon

Banned
So if Rivera gets canned (unlikely), who are the top candidates? I don't really like any of the names from the assistant ranks, especially Bevel or Gase. McAdoo is intriguing but he's likely to just get promoted in NY. Out of the college ranks, Malzahn reuniting with Cam sounds good, but he strikes me as more of a coordinator at the next level than a HC. I think his teams would eventually flame out like Trestman's did in Chicago.

Cowher finally back!

Crisco

Banned
If you're going to hire Malzahn to reunite him with Cam, you'd need to commit to him long term. I don't think that's worth doing at this point no matter what offense he's in.

Honestly we couldn't pick a better time to commit to him long term. He'll never be cheaper than during this offseason. It's almost like that was the plan all along.......

Crisco

Banned
I frankly think he's damaged goods at this point.

I can agree that he's quite possibly shook right now due to regularly taking 320 pound nose tackles to the face. Who wouldn't be? But physically I don't think there's anything there that a normal offseason won't fix. I would hope that Philip Rivers taught everyone not to write a QB off due to one or two subpar seasons under strained circumstances.

Fantomex

In my season preview I called him Kevin "Consistent Decline" Coyle! I will say though, other than the past few weeks the defense has been surprisingly good this year.

He's very vanilla. Never really takes creative liberties other than stunts and maybe some disguises for his cover zones.

MechDX

ZhdcaBB.gif

BOOOOO! Free Johnny Football!

He's very vanilla. Never really takes creative liberties other than stunts and maybe some disguises for his cover zones.
I liked the 5-2 against NE! But yeah, generally speaking you're right.

Then when he mixes it up it's like... Dion Jordan defending Megatron 20 yards downfield (this actually happened).

In my season preview I called him Kevin "Consistent Decline" Coyle! I will say though, other than the past few weeks the defense has been surprisingly good this year.

They have played better but there are a lot of mistakes (coaching mostly) that have cost us 3 games that are on the defense, Tannehill gave us the lead with minutes to go and the D crumbled.

I think the league is catching onto the slick shit. All these stunts and crosses aren't getting home because the good to great quarterbacks have the ball out by the time they execute.

A good defense needs to focus on beating the man in front of them. That's why I think Rex is a great DC, he understands the concept and focuses on sending as many guys as possible from different directions, which explains why the Jets constantly get pressure with so few athletes on the field.

edit: maybe it's just me, but i've noticed that the better quarterbacks have been more flustered than usual with run of the mill blitzing. Get that timing off to force poor throws.

Fantomex

I think the league is catching onto the slick shit. All these stunts and crosses aren't getting home because the good to great quarterbacks have the ball out by the time they execute.

A good defense needs to focus on beating the man in front of them. That's why I think Rex is a great DC, he understands the concept and focuses on sending as many guys as possible from different directions, which explains why the Jets constantly get pressure with so few athletes on the field.

Yup. In the end a defense should be able to have an answer for any offensive audible or scheme. Rex is a dang good DC. One of the best currently. His disguises, mixed and straight up fakes are a big reason for his past success. His pops was probably one of the greatest defensive minds to ever coach in the NFL.

Also, Coyle was calling stunts in the last 4 minutes of the fourth quarter.....BWAHAHAHA. That idiot couldn't tell his defense was absolutely exhausted and could barely stand up as it was.

Doesn't look like much of anything from that gif.

I dunno, i'm not sold on procedurally generated games. They substitute tight gameplay for randomness. Can't say i've ever played one that i've actually found fun.

Well I'm sure you're aware there's much more footage of the game than just that gif but I'm just poking fun anyways with the comment.

There's always the possibility that the game falls flat on its face despite all of the hype but I like what they've shown and what they're going for. I agree with you on procedural generation though. It's very very difficult to get right and not feel "fake" but I don't think the spontaneous nature of the design is mutually exclusive to tight gameplay. Someone just had to prove it can be done.

The biggest problem for No Man's Sky (at least for me) is that they have shown a whole lot of disparate elements of the game but not a cohesive "this is what you do when you're playing" demonstration. I love the idea of having a massive galaxy to explore but there has to be some kind of hook to keep you there. We know there's space and ground gun play of some type and cataloging creature discoveries but how that all ties together is going to be key.

Either way, I'm excited that someone is trying to do something interesting with procedural generation besides "the level will be different each time" bullshit. I hope they nail it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/99446/power-rankings-sanchez-boosts-eagles
The Philadelphia Eagles were No. 5 in the weekly ESPN.com NFL Power Rankings before Nick Foles’ injury. Since then, the Eagles have improved to No. 4 in the rankings with Mark Sanchezas quarterback.

The Eagles are 3-1 and averaging six more points per game in Sanchez’s starts this season, but are they really better with him at quarterback? The numbers say yes, but with games against the Seahawks and Cowboys the next two weeks, those numbers will be put to the test.

Offense moving better
Under Sanchez, the Eagles’ offense has been better at finishing drives and limiting turnovers. Granted, the Eagles still lead the NFL in turnovers this season (28); they were averaging more than 2.6 per game in Foles’ starts this season. In Sanchez’s starts, that rate has dipped below 2.0 (1.8).

Fewer turnovers mean more opportunities to score, and Sanchez has been able to convert. The Eagles are scoring on nearly half of their drives with Sanchez after scoring on one-third of their drives with Foles.

Eagles’ Drives by QB – This Season Foles Sanchez Pts per drive 1.7 2.4 Red zone effic 35% 52% Score pct 33% 47% TO pct 19% 15%
Not only is the Eagles’ offense scoring more frequently under Sanchez, but they’re scoring more touchdowns as well, especially in the red zone.

The Eagles scored a touchdown on 35 percent of their red zone drives under Foles, which would be the lowest in the NFL this season (49ers currently are lowest: 39 percent). Under Sanchez, the Eagles are closer to the league average (55 percent), scoring a touchdown on 52 percent of their red zone drives.

But why is Sanchez doing better?
Sanchez may be working the Chip Kelly offense more to design than Foles had been this season. Sanchez is getting rid of the ball quicker, throwing shorter and getting more yards after the catch than Foles was.

Sanchez’s passes have been thrown an average of 2.45 seconds after the snap this season, quicker than Foles’ 2.73-second average. The difference might seem minimal, but of the 39 quarterbacks with 100 passes this season, Sanchez’s time from snap to release ranks as the 11th-quickest. Foles’ ranks 33rd.

Eagles’ QB Comparison - This Season Foles Sanchez Comp pct 59.8% 63.4% Yds per att 7.0 8.0 Air yds per att 9.3 8.1 YAC per comp 5.3 6.1
One of Foles’ biggest faults this season was his deep passing. Foles threw the ball at least 30 yards past the line of scrimmage 22 times this season. He hasn’t played since Week 9, and that’s still within three of the league lead. Foles completed four of those passes (18.2 percent), and although three of those were touchdowns, he also had four interceptions deep.

Sanchez has done a better job of picking his spots, going 3-of-6 on passes thrown at least 30 yards downfield with no interceptions. And by picking his spots better and getting the ball out quicker, Sanchez has been more effective passing to the Eagles’ biggest play-making receivers.

Targeting Jeremy Maclin,
Jordan Matthews This Season Foles Sanchez Comp pct 55.9% 74.0% Yds per att 7.7 10.9 TD-Int 9-6 7-1 Total QBR 75.5 98.6
Sanchez has completed 74.0 percent of his passes to Jeremy Maclin and Jordan Matthews this season after Foles completed 55.9 percent of his passes to the duo. Sanchez has especially taken a liking to Matthews, who has caught five of his eight pass touchdowns this season. Matthews had two touchdowns with Foles at quarterback.

So the Eagles offense has been much better with Sanchez then with Foles. Hopefully this means we never have to suffer watching Foles again.

Well I'm sure you're aware there's much more footage of the game than just that gif but I'm just poking anyways.

There's always the possibility that the game falls slat on its face despite all of the hype but I like what they've shown and what they're going for. I agree with you on procedural generation though. It's very very difficult to get right and not feel "fake" but I don't think the spontaneous nature of the design is mutually exclusive to tight gameplay.

The biggest problem for No Man's Sky is that they have shown a whole lot of disparate elements of the game but not a cohesive "this is what you do when you're playing". I love the idea of having a massive galaxy to explore but there has to be some kind of hook to keep you there. We know there's space and ground gun play of some type and cataloging creature discoveries but how that all ties together is going to be key.

Either way, I'm excited that someone is trying to do something exciting with procedural generation besides "the level will be different each time" bullshit. I hope they nail it.

As i'm sure you've guessed I knew nothing about this game until that gif was posted.

Still, color me skeptical that the game will be little more than looking at barren single entity rock filled planets 95 percent of the time, with the other 5 being specific non procedurally generated planets with dedicated populations. Worked for Mass Effect, but that games pull wasn't necessarily about planet exploration which this one is.

edit: just watched the trailer, yeah, kind of looks like Pokemon Snap with a shooting gallery.

bionic77

Has Sanchez been going deep?

With the Jets his biggest problem was he was too quick to check down to the safe, short pass. I think that was the result of playing for a defensive coach who didn't want the offense to take any chances or make any mistakes.

So the only way Foles should come back according to you is if they can guarantee that they have a 100% healthy OL?

Maybe if you're bad at interpreting things?

Sanchez has had the benefit of an established run game and less pressure because of the healthy offensive line. Foles hadn't had that basically all season. It's a clear factor in why he has better stats, plain and simple. I'm not saying Foles is better, I'm saying logically when your line can open up the run and give your more time in the pocket your stats are going to go up. I am honestly curious to see if Foles came back in with the line healthy and having the cohesion it has now, if he's be putting up the same numbers as Sanchez. I think it's likely he would, and I'd rather see him play behind a healthy line again and see what he does than write him off already.

Fantomex

Does anybody want a Surface Pro? I'm wondering if they're heavy advertising is paying off. I still see people buying iPads or MacBooks instead. But I'm in the creative field.

Does anybody want a Surface Pro? I'm wondering if they're heavy advertising is paying off. I still see people buying iPads or MacBooks instead. But I'm in the creative field.

My brother got one and honestly they are incredible. In a lot of ways it's always what I wanted from a tablet. A tablet that is essentially a laptop in terms of software features.

Has Sanchez been going deep?

With the Jets his biggest problem was he was too quick to check down to the safe, short pass. I think that was the result of playing for a defensive coach who didn't want the offense to take any chances or make any mistakes.

Sanchez rarely goes deep. He gets YAC, but no deep balls. Foles was much better in that regard.

Top Bottom