• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

MechDX

^He better win the MVP

!

Another way to look at it, which is the way I tend to do, is that if anybody but Watt wins the league’s Most Valuable Player award this season, the NFL might as well do away with the damned thing. Because as impressive as Rodgers is this season (a 66.3% completion rate for 3,325 yards, 32 touchdowns and three interceptions), what Watt is accomplishing has literally never been seen before. Not at any level of football

No.

10847863_1012124542153342_8366435545910427669_n.jpg

eznark

Banned
No.

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10847863_1012124542153342_8366435545910427669_n.jpg?oh=654328bcac77acf16422a9a0e28387d0&oe=54FE8DB9[/img[/QUOTE]

That's the same guy who said Ryan Mallett was going to be a super star right?

Take away Rodgers, Packers lose ~8 more games and miss the playoffs.

Take away Watt, Texans lose ~2 more games and miss the playoffs just like they will with him.

Rodgers = MVP

Tom Penny

I'd love to see Rodgers on Houston and Put Fitz and Watt on the Packers just to kill the notion that a defensive player has the same impact as the best QB in the league. It's laughable and I don't care what math geek is coming up with stats. The math would be in the win totals.

MechDX

Take away Watt, Texans lose ~2 more games and miss the playoffs just like they will with him.

Rodgers = MVP

Watt is doing things on defense no one has done in years, if ever, in the league. How much difference is what Rodgers is doing to what Peyton did just last year? That is not discrediting Rodgers at all, he is the best QB in the league, but Watt is rewriting what a defensive player can do in an era where you can no longer play defense like in the past.

The same way Rodgers is basically "the offense" in GB Watt is "the defense" in Houston. This is not about team wins and losses it is about awarding the best single player on an individual team in the league.

Watt is doing things on defense no one has done in years, if ever, in the league. How much difference is what Rodgers is doing to what Peyton did just last year? That is not discrediting Rodgers at all, he is the best QB in the league, but Watt is rewriting what a defensive player can do in an era where you can no longer play defense like in the past.
The point of the NFL is winning games and winning the SB, right? Rodgers is more important to his team in that regard than Watt. I realize that means a DE will probably never be able to win MVP but that's the nature of a QB driven league.

It's all based on what you think MVP is. To me "value" in a player is based on how they affect wins and losses. Obviously the QB will almost always have the biggest impact in that regard, but I'm okay with that.

The same way Rodgers is basically "the offense" in GB Watt is "the defense" in Houston. This is not about team wins and losses it is about awarding the best single player on an individual team in the league.

None of that makes Watt the most valuable player. The Texans are a bad team with him, and would be a bad team without him. Packers are the best team in football with Rodgers, and would be a bad team without him. There is no way that Watt deserves MVP over Rodgers.

brentech

What's your PSN ? I wanna play Fifa too!
Same ID on PSN

Rodgers = MVP
Exactly what I was thinking while reading the last page.

No one is taking away what Watt is doing as absolutely amazing. But I think you misunderstand what MOST VALUABLE PLAYER actually means. What Watt has done compared to other defensive players doesn't change what the entire concept of the award is.

MechDX

The point of the NFL is winning games and winning the SB, right? Rodgers is more important to his team in that regard than Watt. I realize that means a DE will probably never be able to win MVP but that's the nature of a QB driven league.

It's all based on what you think MVP is. To me "value" in a player is based on how they affect wins and losses. Obviously the QB will almost always have the biggest impact in that regard, but I'm okay with that.

Then rename it "The Most Valuable QB in the League" award. That is not what an MVP is.

Tom Penny

Weird how Michael Jordon never won 10 MVP's in a row..

eznark

Banned
JJ Watt is on the 10th best scoring defense in the league. I agree with Mech though we need to stop giving it to a QB. So give it to the best defensive player on one of the 9 defenses better than the garbage ass Texans.

LJ, which Bill should we give the MVP to?

brentech

I think mech believed we're all slighting Watt in some way, but he literally is misinterpreting what MVP stands for. Maybe he didn't see what happened when Rodgers missed extended time last year.
maybe he is just gagging on his JJ Watt figurine, but he clearly is losing oxygen to his head and can't comprehend basic wording.

This isn't the heisman trophy, which Watt would have a much greater chance at winning. Won't even be mad if he wins the MVP. I just don't THINK he will. On the basis of what the award is given for.

BigAT

Texans fans have had to redefine value to not include silly things like wins, Super Bowls, success, etc.

JJ Watt is on the 10th best scoring defense in the league. I agree with Mech though we need to stop giving it to a QB. So give it to the best defensive player on one of the 9 defenses better than the garbage ass Texans.

LJ, which Bill should we give the MVP to?

Would be perfect if Mario Willams won it

If we had an all-time fantasy draft. Who would you guys take? (After the obvious number 1 Tom Brady of course)

Montana? Barry Sanders? Rice? Vrabel? Moss?

Respect

Dobson to IR

shocker

Disappointing, but he seems to always have some nagging injury in addition to the fact he fell out of favor with the coaching staff anyway. Another wasted pick on a receiver by NE. Hopefully he took the injury bug from Gronk.

The Dobson/Thompkins era has now completely ended in NE.../moment of silence

MechDX

I hope you people are enjoying the Texans farm system!

Barwin, Williams, Glover Quinn, Jacoby jones
Fuck him!
, 1/3 of the Eagles roster, Schaub
lol. We got a 6th round pick!
, Forsett, etc....

Top Bottom