• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Just beat Sunset Overdrive. Love the ending :)

Also Packers hopefully roll the Falcons this Monday night. Keep the pedal down!

Sunset was a fun game. I started off wondering if i'd like it but I got used to the controls and really enjoyed that game.

MechDX

Technically, a 3-13 team could make the playoffs while a 13-3 team doesn't. But it's still not likely.

Eliminating the division champs for playoffs wouldn't help parity. It would make the whole attempt at a rotating 3/4 year schedule pointless. And even then people would just complain about 1 division hogging all the playoff spots just because they faced a terrible division that year (see the AFC North).

The only way to make the playoff spots more fair like you want would be to play more games so that the sample size is greater and fluke wins/losses matter less. But then we'd just be watching basketball and all the "parity" and any given sunday fun would be dead.

It will never happen but include a new rule that a division winner must be above .500 to make the playoffs or that spot goes to the next conference team with the best record.

Ill submit it to Dutch for his review when he makes commissioner

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
As I stated earlier in the thread, you guys HAVE to win 3 of the next four. 2 wins might not cut it, 1 win and there is no way in hell. 2 wins is easy, three is doable. Odds are, you guys get that sixth seed and travel to whatever NFCS team gets in.

Doesn't the sixth seed have to play whoever is the third best division leader? So that would probably be the NFC winner in this scenario like Seattle?

RELAYER

Banned
I never said they didn't. But IN MY DAMN OPINION they should not have been in the playoffs with a losing record. PERIOD

It's kind of a dumb opinion that flies in the face of actual events considering that they won their game, but w/e.

It will never happen but include a new rule that a division winner must be above .500 to make the playoffs or that spot goes to the next conference team with the best record.

It happens so irregularly its almost completely pointless.

There have been three teams with losing records that made the playoffs ever and two of those were from the strike shortened 82 season. The other being the Seahawks.

Like Bowser said, the Saints are going to win out so it doesn't matter.

PS4 arrives today. Over/under 7 days before I yank it from under the tree and tear into it.
Tell the kids Christmas came early.

My xbone arrived today, probably won't open it till this weekend or maybe next though. Busy with projects and finals

https://twitter.com/WeightRoomShoe/status/539832298179276800

The #Seahawks are now the only NFL team since 1954 to be penalized 2x as often as their opponent. Gap is on pace to be widest in NFL history

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...opponents-are-the-least-penalized-team-in-nfl

The Seattle Seahawks are the third most penalized team in the NFL (penalties per game accepted against). Pete Carroll has brought up the penalty disparity between the Seahawks and their opponents several times in the last few weeks. His detractors would argue that the disparity is because the Seahawks are so wont to get flagged. He refined his argument this week to suggest that he is not so much complaining about the calls against the Seahawks, but rather the lack of calls that are made against the Seahawks' opponents.

#BringIt
#FuckTheZebras
#GoHawks

Tell the kids Christmas came early.

My xbone arrived today, probably won't open it till this weekend or maybe next though. Busy with projects and finals

You get every damn console, buy me one pls

I'll have my people look into it

MechDX

DeAndre Nuk Hopkins becoming one of the best WR's in the NFL?

The last time we broke down a receiver's big day in Quick Reads, it was Week 6, when T.Y. Hilton of the Indianapolis Colts shredded the Houston Texans for nine catches in nine targets for 223 yards and a touchdown. It was the best game for a wide receiver in eight years. And it goes without saying that it was one of the best games of 2014 -- the key word there being "was." In a bit of karmic revenge on the universe, seven weeks after Houston's defense surrendered that big day to Hilton, it was one of their own, DeAndre Hopkins, who surpassed it.

As for Hopkins, is it too early to name him one of the best receivers in football? Going into the Jets-Dolphins Monday night game, he ranks fifth this season among wide receivers in total DYAR, and the four men ranked ahead of him have benefited from playing with former Super Bowl champions Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger. Hopkins, meanwhile, has mainly been catching passes from Ryan Fitzpatrick -- and as we have seen, that is often a heavy burden to bear. In all likelihood, Houston will make a move at quarterback after this season, and then we might get to see the kinds of things Hopkins can really do.

Why did Mallett tear his tittie? :( Foster, Nuk, Dre, Graham........all my balls for a QB

Why don't some people want Manziel to take over over for utterly mediocre Hoyer?
Some people are straight homers for Hoyer cause he's a home town guy, some people don't want Manziel at all, some just want him to sit for the whole season.

Manziels my favorite player, but if he say the whole season I woudlnt be bad. I fully expect him to start this weekend Though now.
250 pass yds, 2 TDs , 50 Rush yds , 1 rush Td, 1 Int. Browns wins! Prosperity!
You get every damn console, buy me one pls

I'll have my people look into it
I'm just super indecisive with consoles, I get them then eventually trade em for another one. This is the first time I'll actually own multiple consoles ( 2 ). I almost feel like I'm not a college poor.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Then I'm all alone.

I wouldn't do that Rell. Drank way to much last night and am hungover. Hanging out at Starbucks somewhere outside of Detroit trying to get rid of this headache.

On the plus side we have a stud for a franchise QB. :*)

staff-body-090212.jpg

Restore the Roar 2014.

cdyhybrid

The joys of having a terrible O-line. Every decent Beast Mode run gets called back.

And before anyone says anything dumb, I refer you to http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Seahawks are (at least tied for) the worst offenders in:
-false starts
-neutral zone infractions
-offsides
-illegal motion
-tripping

The worst offenders for what people will assume:
-Defensive holding: New England
-DPI: Tennessee
-Illegal contact: Cinci and SF

We're also the smallest beneficiaries for either flavor of PI :( I'm sure part of it is that we don't throw as much as most teams, but still.

MechDX

BG. I honestly hope you start Manziel this week and just bitch slap the Colts.

I feel so dirty now and need to shower......

Respect

I like the Chargers. Philip Rivers is awesome. That being said, I'm not worried about the Patriots against them. The Chargers definitely could pull off a win, but I don't think they will.

I hope Bill unleashes Dominique Easley on the Chargers' fifth string center. Build up his confidence some before the playoffs.

I certainly like their chances more coming off of a loss...if they get that win in GB, this games sets up perfectly for a letdown. Those Norv Turner charges always gave NE fits...similar to how Shanhan teams did. Fortunately for NE the Chargers front 7 isn't as good as it has been. Hopefully the O-line gets their shit together, they get dominated like they did in GB, this one could go bad.

-Defensive holding: Brandon Browner

Fixed!

Mindlog

Just beat Sunset Overdrive. Love the ending :)

Also Packers hopefully roll the Falcons this Monday night. Keep the pedal down!
Nah, the Pack are due for a let down game. Just take it easy and make it through this week. Let's rally together and save Mike Smith's job.

The joys of having a terrible O-line. Every decent Beast Mode run gets called back.

And before anyone says anything dumb, I refer you to http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Seahawks are (at least tied for) the worst offenders in:
-false starts
-neutral zone infractions
-offsides
-illegal motion
-tripping

-Defensive holding: New England
-DPI: Tennessee
-Illegal contact: Cinci and SF

We're also the smallest beneficiaries for either flavor of PI :( I'm sure part of it is that we don't throw as much as most teams, but still.

Thanks Browner

cajunator

Banned
Only two types of people exist in this world.

Those who love eggnog, and those who think it is fucking disgusting.

I have never met anyone in between who thinks it's just ok.

I love eggnog man. So good!

I never said they didn't. But IN MY DAMN OPINION they should not have been in the playoffs with a losing record. PERIOD

As a fan of the team that got screwed by that Seahawks team, yeah they did belong. Was I mad, yeah, but we didnt do well enough to win the division that year so we had to travel. thats sports. If a better team has to come into an NFC South teams house and play, well thats the way it is. Beat them there if you are better. thats the long and short of it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Slingin' Staffords' beat Driving Through the Influence 106.70 to 101.94. My last minute decision to start Tre Mason as RB #2 paid off.

I'm now 2-11 in the SiF league.

cdyhybrid

As a fan of the team that got screwed by that Seahawks team, yeah they did belong. Was I mad, yeah, but we didnt do well enough to win the division that year so we had to travel. thats sports. If a better team has to come into an NFC South teams house and play, well thats the way it is. Beat them there if you are better. thats the long and short of it.

Yep.

I would be worried about having to go into the Superdome and winning a playoff game this season.

Spinluck

Do you guys have any tips for writing a cover letter? I am planning on leaving my job early next year. Kind of fucked me this semester, plus I miss having Sundays to myself. There is this tutoring/teaching gig that's hiring, and they require a cover letter on every résumé.

I have never written one before. Any guides or pointers? My résumé already looks nice as fuck, I just need a cover letter.

I love eggnog man. So good!

:)

Listening to it right now.

Where?

Steve Tisch on Coughlin.

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel 9m9 minutes ago
Full Tisch quote, when asked about coughlin future: "We are going to wait til after the Super Bowl to discuss all these staffing issues."

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel 9m9 minutes ago
Tisch called it "predictable that Tom would sort of say 'it is on my shoulders, it is on my watch.'"

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 29m29 minutes ago
Tisch says he does not blame Coughlin for disappointing season.

Colasante

Thanks Browner

I don't want him to change the way he's playing. He'll get some deserved penalties and some BS ones, like grazing Jordy's facemask, but if the officiating becomes more hands off in the playoffs like they usually do, his physicality will be worth the occasional penalty.

Do you guys have any tips for writing a cover letter? I am planning on leaving my job early next year. Kind of fucked me this semester, plus I miss having Sundays to myself. There is this tutoring/teaching gig that's hiring, and they require a cover letter on every résumé.

I have never written one before. Any guides or pointers? My résumé already looks nice as fuck, I just need a cover letter.

Where?

http://grantland.com/podcasts/

Just basically you're excited to meet with them. You're excited about the position blah blah blah thank them if you have any question here is my contact info blah blah blah.. You love what the company is doing maybe even reference some project you know of about them (wink wink).

Standard shit brah.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Where?

Do NOT mention your cooking skills as an asset.

Tamanon

Banned

Where?

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/723/03/

They're pretty simple, especially after you get your format saved. Just a letter explaining why you want to work there, what your qualifications are and asking for an interview.

If they're waiting till after the SB then not sure how likely Coughlin gets let go.

On that front...

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 1m1 minute ago
From what I've been told, the Giants will NOT wait until after the Super Bowl to discuss the futures of Tom Coughlin/Jerry Reese ...

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 49s50 seconds ago
... All evaluations will happen right after the season, as usual. Steve Tisch apparently misspoke earlier today.

By evaluations I think he means player evals. Keep in mind Tisch doesn't get terribly involved in the football operation side of things. That's more in Mara's wheelhouse.

Pat Traina:

Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina 2m2 minutes ago
Bottom line: If we don't hear something regarding Coughlin/Reese by maybe the 2nd week of January, that means they're probaly going to stay.

EDIT: ...and now Graziano chiming in.

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 2m2 minutes ago
On Tisch/Giants, I am told "he misspoke. Business as usual. Evaluation/conversations at conclusion of our season."

BigAT

I think they're going to see if they can get Coughlin to leave himself. Not sure what the contract/buyout situation is there.

Probably like two years left? They have been extending him on a year-by-year basis to make sure he was never coming in as a lame duck.

Regardless, I feel completely confident in saying that it is a completely irrelevant factor when it comes to what their decision will be with Coughlin.

MechDX

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL · 50m50 minutes ago
Jadeveon Clowney is getting a second opinion on his injured knee from Dr. James Andrews Wednesday.

meh.....hasn't done shit all season anyway. Just put him on IR already

jmdajr

Jadeveon Clowney is getting a second opinion on his injured knee from Dr. James Andrews Wednesday.

Win or lose....been irrelevant.. We don't need him the way he's playing.

Tamanon

Banned

Dr James Andrews is the kiss of death for the season anyways.

Top Bottom