• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 15 |OT| Drunk in Love

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Divisions can matter but it shouldn't supersede W-L record for playoff seeding
Why not? If you didn't determine it by division, then everyone would complain about teams getting their record artificially raised by playing terrible divisions like the NFC and AFC South. At least this way you're competing with people who had similar schedules to you.

Plus, are the Eagles the team we really want to make this point over? They pretty much just beat terrible teams this year, got trounced when they faced their fellow playoff teams, and have a terrible conference record (which screws them over way more than the playoff system). Plus they had a quarterback injury, so at least they have an excuse.

Warren Buffett hopes Ndamukong Suh stays with Lions

B99225920Z.1_20141214171312_000_GA8DGAAB.1-0.jpg

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ett-hopes-ndamukong-suh-stays-lions/20405557/

Suh is going to the Cardinals

Our problem is that we don't have a proven QB. Foles has been either mediocre or injured for most of the season. Sanchez cost us tonight. We probably would have lost to Seattle regardless. I wish the Eagles could sign a guy like Revis, but we need to draft secondary players. What sucks is that we were so close to getting Ha-Ha. I have been shouting about our corners since last off season too. Too bad corners are such a flukey pick to make in the first round.

Our first round pick this season hasn't contributed at all really. He helped knock the ball out of your punter's hand. That's about it. We need to get lucky with QB in the draft.

I hate drafting DB early. We have a good DB coaches, and Pete has said to be a really good DB coach.

Sherman was 5th round, Max was 6th round, Brandon Browner was picked up from freaking Canada, Earl was 1st, Kam was 5th round.

Thurmond was 4th (before he left), Lane was 6th, Throald Simon is 5th, Jeron Johnson undrafted.

^ That's actually pretty freaking amazing how none or our secondary the last two years was first 3 rounds except for Earl.

The NBA has it where you're in if you win you're division but if record determines seeding. I'm okay with them getting a spot but should be a lower seed. Next year we're getting expanded playoffs anyways.

This I don't have a problem with. A 8-8 team should never host a playoff game against an 11-5 team.

Grexeno

Division winners should always get a playoff spot no matter the record, but I'm not so sure about a guaranteed home game now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Caldwell has them focused on their next opponent though. At least that's the approach he's taking with the team to try not to have them looking ahead.
Which is good because we all remember what happened the last time the Lions became 1st in the division.

Also the best idea I've heard for changing the playoffs is making it so only >.500 teams are eligible. Not that it's a good idea, only the most plausible I've heard.
This is a bad plan because it doesn't account for all situations. You can't guarantee how many teams will be above or below 500. It's theoritically possible for an entire conference to be above or below 500.

JABEE

I was actually surprised the Eagles were able to keep Dez Bryant in check on Thanksgiving with our single-high man coverage defense.

Davis said they were alternating between doubling him and not doubling him, and Romo just read the defense right. I'm kind of pissed off that Billy Davis thinks that Nate Allen is Earl Thomas. He can't cover that much of the field. If you look him off once, you get your weakness on an island against Dez Bryant.

I'm still confused about Williams leaving Bryant wide open on that big conversion on the final field goal drive for Dallas.

Cary is like "let me help you double Terrance Williams on the outside and leave the 6'5" athletic behemoth wide-open with no one in the vicinity of him." You might as well just hand them 3 points and a two possession game.

This doesn't make up for the fact that both Sanchez's interceptions led to TDs. That's where the Eagles lost the game. The Ertz pass. The defense played 40 minutes again, and the defensive line was outstanding against the run and pass rush. We just couldn't stop turning the ball over and shot ourselves in the foot over and over again in the beginning of the game.

Eleuin

I hate drafting DB early. We have a good DB coaches, and Pete has said to be a really good DB coach.

Sherman was 5th round, Max was 6th round, Brandon Browner was picked up from freaking Canada, Earl was 1st, Kam was 5th round.

Thurmond was 4th (before he left), Lane was 6th, Throald Simon is 5th, Jeron Johnson undrafted.

^ That's actually pretty freaking amazing how none or our secondary the last two years was first 3 rounds except for Earl.

To be fair, Thomas is half the reason you guys can use the personnel you do.

An under .500 team made the playoffs in a non-strike shortened season only once in the history of the league. And they won their home playoff game.

I don't see this as a massive problem worth changing the playoff structure over. We're getting expanded playoffs next year so it's all a moot point, but you're suggesting fundamentally changing the postseason of the game for something that is at best a statistical anomaly.

JABEE

It's like in baseball. You play most of your games against divisional teams. You can't have a balanced schedule. Teams are going to get different match-ups. Divisions exist only as a means of determining who gets in the playoffs.

Some years you get a tough division, other years it's easy.

Pepiope

They deserve a spot, this year being the exception. I say force the 4-6 seed to fight it out. Guarantee the top 3 division winners the 1-3 seeds. The "worst" division winner isn't guaranteed a spot, but a non-division leading team has to have at least a half game lead over the 4th division winner in order to unseat them in the playoffs. A division winner would be the ultimate tiebreaker over the H2H match-up. This way, winning the division still has power, but if you suck, then you don't get in.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas, I'm not in the mood tonight for your tomfoolery.

I wish you guys lost today. :( I wouldn't have to sweat making the playoffs.

Good teams win when it matters against tough divisional opponent, JABEE.

We're a great team, JABEE.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just saw the time of possession from the Cowboys /Eagles.

18 mins to 41 for Dallas.... WTF! Chip Kelly and his hurry up and fuck up offense in full stride.

It was a fun season, fellow Eagles fan. What a frustrating team for a ton of reasons, the biggest of all being we are only a few but very key holes away from being an elite team.

Not even close to being over. Colts is a super tough match up for Dallas and Philly cant lose to these two scrubs.

That Washington game might come back to haunt Dallas and even with 11 wins they wouldn't make it.

Has an 11-5 team ever missed the playoffs? Probably but I can probably count on one hand the number of times its happened.

Spinluck

Irsay is a piece of trash and owns the luckiest pro sports team on the entire planet. That was a dirty, cheapass trip that there was no flag thrown for.

karma?

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure Luck might have been playing injured these past few weeks. So we were being karma'd this whole time.

Meh, doesn't help when our QB can't hit a 6'5 TE with about 10 yards of separation.

jnc at that being the problem tonight. Maybe instead of spending the offseason creating new holes at WR, Chip and Howie should have tried to fix the holes in the secondary. 2 weeks in a row the DL makes plays and forces 3rd and longs and the secondary just gives them up. Eagles are a bad team, that got lucky to play a bunch of even worse teams this year. They wont make the playoffs and it is for the best, they need better draft picks for Howie to waste on huge busts.

DarkFlow

Banned
Cowher's waiting for that old fuck to retire, but to be honest is Cowher even any better? Especially with so many years away from the game?

If he took over the giants? No, he's still going to suck. No matter what coach they plug in there, it's not really going to get any better.

Top Bottom