• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 15 |OT| Drunk in Love

zychi

Banned
So I have $80 in my psn wallet, and I want a new game. Talk me into anything but TLOU and MLB(own them already) and talk me out of buying WWE

Remember when Ben and the Steelers spammed Hines Ward so he could reach 1000 catches. I wonder if they'd do the same for Antonio Brown to get the single season record if he has a good game against KCC.
Brown already has the catches record. He's two yards from breaking the yards record that he broke last year.
I never said anybody but Philbin! I would prefer if the next HC was an improvement.

I thought we were talking about why Philbin doesn't deserve another season so I addressed that point.

Thing is you never mention who does deserve it.

Hiring just anybody is a great recipe for the past getting repeated. Too often fans want their guy out but have no idea who the replacement should be (often because there is no one qualified to take it) then complain when it happens and the new guy is no better

eznark

Banned
What GM is going to want this job if Philbin is staying? Isn't that exactly what happened last year with Dennis Hickey?

By the way, Hickey has done fine so far. Top two picks are already two of the best players on the team and a lot of the others have potential.

Right now Philbin is problem number one.

Ha, I totally forgot they brought in Hickey. Can't do anything about the ownership. Hm, guess you're just fucked unless you can find a miracle worker HC. This is a pretty piss poor year to be looking though, which is another reason I'd let him play out the string.

Most importantly though is Tannehill's development. You want him to have another system to learn after a kind of exceptional step forward this year?

A suspended Panthers defensive end has been reinstated.

Frank Alexander gets back this week after his two consecutive PED related suspensions. They've got 7 days to cut him or cut someone else (currently over 53 men on the roster)

Trey

Bills still lead the league in sacks and sack rate after only getting 1 in the last two games. They played the two best QBs of the current era in those two games. Peyton Manning got rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds on average and dropped back less than 25 passes all told. Rodgers did a lot of play action and generally employed RB pass pro with the Bills only rushing 4 for most of the day.

Now if the Bills somehow do the same to Brady, I'll be happy with this season.

zychi

Banned
Driveclub

don't buy WWE

not a big racer fan. got gta v for when i need to virtually drive things

e: thinking i may just preorder uncharted 4. there's really nothing on the horizon on want. i dont usually preorder this early tho

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
NhgirjN.png

Bills you are awesome.

God I love this image.

Restore the Roar 2014.

njean777

So I have $80 in my psn wallet, and I want a new game. Talk me into anything but TLOU and MLB(own them already) and talk me out of buying WWE

Do you like RPGs? If you do dragon age may be worth a look. It's a long ass game though if you are a side quest person.

manfestival

woooooo just got great news that I am gonna be performing on Friday. I was told two weeks ago that I would not be debuting with my team essentially because I sucked too much(trying to shorten the story). I worked my butt off last week and now earned my spot back in the debut. FYI its a dance team.

DMczaf

woooooo just got great news that I am gonna be performing on Friday. I was told two weeks ago that I would not be debuting with my team essentially because I sucked too much(trying to shorten the story). I worked my butt off last week and now earned my spot back in the debut. FYI its a dance team.

Just make sure you Step Up......to the Streets.

Brown already has the catches record. He's two yards from breaking the yards record that he broke last year.

Hiring just anybody is a great recipe for the past getting repeated. Too often fans want their guy out but have no idea who the replacement should be (often because there is no one qualified to take it) then complain when it happens and the new guy is no better
This is not my problem to solve. I am not saying the next coach is guaranteed to be better. We are discussing whether or not Philbin deserves another season and in my opinion the answer is no. That is the discussion.

Now, if you want to get into who they should hire that's a different subject. Related, but still different. Like I said, I don't know how to evaluate NFL head coaching prospects as I'm just a guy but I wouldn't be upset if Harbaugh or Rex Ryan got the job (if it's Rex the OC would need to be really good).

The bottom line is Philbin has shown who he is and it's not good enough. Ross, not me, needs to find someone better.

eznark

Banned
This is not my problem to solve. I am not saying the next coach is guaranteed to be better. We are discussing whether or not Philbin deserves another season and in my opinion the answer is no. That is the discussion.

Now, if you want to get into who they should hire that's a different subject. Related, but still different. Like I said, I don't know how to evaluate NFL head coaching prospects as I'm just a guy but I wouldn't be upset if Harbaugh or Rex Ryan got the job (if it's Rex the OC would need to be really good).

The bottom line is Philbin has shown who he is and it's not good enough. Ross, not me, needs to find someone better.

If you don't know who can do the job better, how do you know Philbin isn't your best option?

Harbaugh for 2015, 2016, and 2017 first round picks.

jakncoke

Banned

Im talking marvins record

Sanjuro

Josh McDreamy awaits.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The WWE game this year is total trash. Wait until next year when they have a year under their belts. If you don't have Resogun or Geometry Wars 3, buy those.

If you don't know who can do the job better, how do you know Philbin isn't your best option?
I never claimed to know that. My view is the Dolphins will never win a SB under Philbin as we've seen his ceiling so it's time to move on. This season was his chance to prove otherwise and he failed.

The point about Tannehill is a good one. I am worried about him having to play in a third offense in three years. Hell, let's just make Lazor the HC, kill two birds with one stone.

Bowser

Joe Trahan ‏@JoeTrahan 12m12 minutes ago Irving, TX
On his radio show Stephen Jones says DeMarco Murray has a broken bone in his hand and will need surgery - hopes he can play vs Colts.

Zeke

So Free and Martin are both gimped not good. Martin looks like he's good said he twisted it. I haven't seen any updates on free tho. Looks like free has a sprain. Murray having surgery on his hand which he apparently broke last night. Fuck me randle and Dunbar better have their shit together.
Edit: Damn it bowser!

And that's the problem with being a fan. We can say anything. No accountability for anything but can complain at the first opportunity. It's also why (smart) front offices don't listen to us.

I haven't paid much attention to the Dolphins this season but from a cursory look they have improved skill positions, an improved offensive line, an impressive and at times dominant defense, and a QB on the upswing. Is none of that due to Philbin?

oneHeero

Joe Trahan ‏@JoeTrahan 12m12 minutes ago Irving, TX
On his radio show Stephen Jones says DeMarco Murray has a broken bone in his hand and will need surgery - hopes he can play vs Colts.
Crazy news but should be able to with a cast if they can get it done in time. If not, I think Dunbar and randle do a good job when given the chance and w our Oline.

Sucks either way cuz we really need this win.

eznark

Banned
So likely job openings in the NFL after this season:

Bears
Jets
49ers
Falcons
Raiders
Dolphins

Potential openings:
Panthers
Jaguars
Buccaneers
Redskins
Giants

Of those I'd say the most attractive jobs are SF, Atlanta, Carolina, NYG, Chicago, Tampa Bay. The rest are all kind of fighting for relevance, with Oakland clearly being a no-fucking-way zone.

Dolphins kind of get lost in that picture. They'll end up with a guy like Philbin, while still paying Philbin! Or worse, they'll get another Saban-type. When you are a middling franchise you don't want to be looking for a coach the same year the Bears, Jets, Giants, 49ers and Redskins are looking for a coach. You can't compete.

zychi

Banned
The WWE game this year is total trash. Wait until next year when they have a year under their belts. If you don't have Resogun or Geometry Wars 3, buy those.

I rented it on x1 and enjoyed it. It's still crap, but it's fun crap.

Resogun was free on psn, and GW3 is just meh to me. GW1 was the best

eznark, scratch Bears off that, word around Chicago is that only Tucker is leaving at this point

DMczaf

No way the Bucs fire Lovie. They're already still paying Schiano to not work, paying TWO HCs not to work while also hiring a 3rd?!

Yeah, we are dumb enough to do this.

Since Ez mentioned it as a potential opening - Dan Graziano on Coughlin's status popped up in another article (after Serby with the post claimed a 99.9 percent chance he comes back). Another mention of sources saying that the old man is staying (good).

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gi...t-judging-tom-coughlin-on-his-win-loss-record

But Coughlin doesn't work for most teams. Coughlin works for the Giants, and in spite of the guarantee of a second straight losing season and a fifth season out of six without a playoff appearance, the strong likelihood is that Coughlin returns next year for a 12th season in his current job. I'm not able to put a percentage on it as the New York Post did, but the sense I get from talking to people in that building is that a lot of minds would have to be changed in the next two weeks for the Giants to decide to replace Coughlin.

If the Giants believed Coughlin was among their biggest problems, they likely would make a change. But the Giants don't view Coughlin as a collection of wins and losses. They look instead at the tone he sets week to week in the locker room and in the meeting rooms, the energy he brings to the job, the way the players respond to him and the public face he puts on the organization as the one who has to face the public on a daily basis. These are all very important aspects of a head coach, and the Giants choose to prioritize them on a high level -- maybe even higher than they prioritize the win-loss record, which they view as subject to the whims of injuries and week-to-week tumult in an unpredictable league. There is evidence throughout Coughlin's career that a decision to stick with him through lean times can bring the sweetest of rewards, and the Giants choose to focus on that when deciding he's still the man for their biggest job.

You may disagree. You may want change for change's sake. You may believe Coughlin is simply not good enough a coach, or that his time has passed, or that the Giants aren't far enough into their current rebuild to justify the return of a coach who'll be 69 when next season starts. It is your perfect right to believe any or all of that. But to this point, the people deciding Coughlin's fate continue to believe he's the right man to coach their team. And they're looking well beyond his record to arrive at that decision.

New defensive and special teams coordinators are necessary, IMO. A good portion of the defensive coaching staff needs turned over in fact. Outside of maybe Robert Nunn but that's for a new DC to decide.

Either way, I don't believe Coughlin should be let go and if you believe the hub bub that the Giants are very high on Ben McAdoo to eventually take over the reigns, you've got to stay the course and keep building the offense around Eli with Ben at the helm.

Bears
Jets
49ers
Falcons
Raiders
Dolphins

Potential openings:
Panthers
Jaguars
Buccaneers
Redskins
Giants

Of those I'd say the most attractive jobs are SF, Atlanta, Carolina, NYG, Chicago, Tampa Bay. The rest are all kind of fighting for relevance, with Oakland clearly being a no-fucking-way zone.

Dolphins kind of get lost in that picture. They'll end up with a guy like Philbin, while still paying Philbin! Or worse, they'll get another Saban-type. When you are a middling franchise you don't want to be looking for a coach the same year the Bears, Jets, Giants, 49ers and Redskins are looking for a coach. You can't compete.

I agree with your point, but I don't think the Niners are atop that list. Kaepernick is a lame duck and whoever the next coach is is going to want his own guy. Either the team tanks to get one or settles for a middle of the road guy.

And that's the problem with being a fan. We can say anything. No accountability for anything but can complain at the first opportunity. It's also why (smart) front offices don't listen to us.

I haven't paid much attention to the Dolphins this season but from a cursory look they have improved skill positions, an improved offensive line, an impressive and at times dominant defense, and a QB on the upswing. Is none of that due to Philbin?
Check my post history, I'm tired of rehashing stuff I've already gone over in 1,000 word posts.

Any improvement to the offense this season is from Lazor's new system and Tannehill's development. If anything Philbin has hampered them from progressing more.

And yeah, I'm just a fan who is sick of going 7-9 or 8-8 and collapsing in December. Sue me.

eznark

Banned
No way the Bucs fire Lovie. They're already still paying Schiano to not work, paying TWO HCs not to work while also hiring a 3rd?!

Only reason I think it's possible is because you need a new OC and lord knows I would not trust Lovie to hire an OC. Only reason I loved the Lovie hire was because he was bringing Tedford.

I agree with your point, but I don't think the Niners are atop that list. Kaepernick is a lame duck and whoever the next coach is is going to want his own guy. Either the team tanks to get one or settles for a middle of the road guy.

That's a point in the positions favor if you ask me. Kaep is paid nothing. Jettisoning him will be easy. That defense is deep as fucking balls though, and young in some spots. Boner job. Bring in Alex Smith. Win Super Bowl.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Beat the Packers on Sunday and your season will be redeemed, DM. Do it for the Lions and the 2009 QB Draft Class.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
O Brien didn't get the #1 pick under his watch

dude you're not making any sense.

The question was: who was the last coach that coached so poorly they earned the number 1 overall pick, and managed to keep his job with that same team. Kubiak, never did that.

zychi

Banned
Coughlin is one of the best coaches in the league. It's not his fault his stud WRs get hurt every year, and the GM is an idiot. If he gets fired, I would gladly take him here in Chicago

I rented it on x1 and enjoyed it. It's still crap, but it's fun crap.

Resogun was free on psn, and GW3 is just meh to me. GW1 was the best

eznark, scratch Bears off that, word around Chicago is that only Tucker is leaving at this point

Buying games just to buy them is never a good plan.

Colasante

x3GRHjU.png

Despite missing two games, Dont'a Hightower is back atop Pro Football Focus' inside linebacker ratings. Jamie Collins is #5. Even though they were only all together for a few games, it's wild to think that the Patriots had Hightower, Collins, Jerod Mayo, and Brandon Spikes last year. That's some linebacking corps.

eznark

Banned

I won't even believe that if it happens. Though if it does it's because the Bears are smart enough to realize it's a shitty year to go head coach hunting.

Check my post history, I'm tired of rehashing stuff I've already gone over in 1,000 word posts.

Any improvement to the offense this season is from Lazor's new system and Tannehill's development. If anything Philbin has hampered them from progressing more.

And yeah, I'm just a fan who is sick of going 7-9 or 8-8 and collapsing in December. Sue me.

Fire Philbin now and we'll be having this same discussion in 3 years. If you haven't squickened by then that is.

Tom Penny

x3GRHjU.png

Despite missing two games, Dont'a Hightower is back atop Pro Football Focus' inside linebacker ratings. Jamie Collins is #5. Even though they were only all together for a few games, it's wild to think that the Patriots had Hightower, Collins, Jerod Mayo, and Brandon Spikes last year. That's some linebacking corps.

He blew up that one running play for like an 8 yard loss. He's been great all year. He used to be a total liability in the passing game and they figured how to minimize that. Collins made a nice leap and basically continued how he had been playing at the end of last year when he was thrown in the fire.

Trey

Bears
Jets
49ers
Falcons
Raiders
Dolphins

Potential openings:
Panthers
Jaguars
Buccaneers
Redskins
Giants

Of those I'd say the most attractive jobs are SF, Atlanta, Carolina, NYG, Chicago, Tampa Bay.

Dolphins are a better team than all of the listed. Maybe SF is a wash.

How are those places more attractive? Chicago and NYG because of market, sure. But what does that matter to a HC?

MechDX

dude you're not making any sense.

The question was: who was the last coach that coached so poorly they earned the number 1 overall pick, and managed to keep his job with that same team. Kubiak, never did that.

Read all the posts. One person said O Brien and I said it was Kubiak who earned the #1 pick. Pretty damn simple.

zychi

Banned
I won't even believe that if it happens. Though if it does it's because the Bears are smart enough to realize it's a shitty year to go head coach hunting.

It's one of the worst ran organizations in sports. The only teams worse is every team in Cleveland.

2 Super Bowl appearances since it began. 1 win. May as well just be the Cubs of the NFL.

Top Bottom