• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 15 |OT| Drunk in Love

Fantomex

Tannehill is improving because Marino is breaking down film with him. Lazor has improved the offense. Philbin just "keeps the locker room together".

Fire Philbin now and we'll be having this same discussion in 3 years. If you haven't squickened by then that is.
I don't understand the counter point you guys are making. You know the ceiling of the guy you have, 8-8 or 9-7 with a collapse in big games, but you want to keep that instead of taking a risk on a new guy? There is zero upside.

This was the exact same discussion last season and Philbin got another shot, but the Dolphins will always suck so let's keep him for 30 more years!

eznark

Banned
You want to keep Lazor? Can't fire Philbin

Dolphins are a better team than all of the listed. Maybe SF is a wash.

How are those places more attractive? Chicago and NYG because of market, sure. But what does that matter to a HC?

Pay mostly, and stability. Both New York teams are slow to ax, Chicago will be in rebuild so they can afford to spend on a coach if they really want to, and Trestmann is cheap so paying out that contract won't hurt.

Also playoff prospects are better in most of those cases. Who wants to face The Cheat twice a year? Also ownership.

I put the Jets ahead of them only based on patience, pocketbook and a new GM. Ownership is a huge issue there too.

Fantomex

I guess if I can speak for Red, what all of us are trying to say is, we are the niners 3 years ago. just a really good coach away from gettig deep in the playoffs. Does that translate better? like when the Bucs just needed Gruden, like when the Colts needed Dungy.

we are mediocre on offense, great special teams and great defense.

MechDX

I don't understand the counter point you guys are making. You know the ceiling of the guy you have, 8-8 or 9-7 with a collapse in big games, but you want to keep that instead of taking a risk on a new guy? There is zero upside.

This was the exact same discussion last season and Philbin got another shot, but the Dolphins will always suck so let's keep him for 30 more years!

You need to learn you can not argue with Steelers GAF. They are always correct.

I see what they are saying though, kind of. You stick with the guy though and potentially get Kubiaked. Great guy, good OC , bad HC. Team keeps him because he is good enough and you show " signs" every year

eznark

Banned
I guess if I can speak for Red, what all of us are trying to say is, we are the niners 3 years ago. just a really good coach away from gettig deep in the playoffs. Does that translate better? like when the Bucs just needed Gruden, like when the Colts needed Dungy.

we are mediocre on offense, great special teams and great defense.

Looks like you guys are going to end up giving up more points this year than you have since 2009. Bad trends man.

Pretty much the position we're in with Coughlin and McAdoo. You fire Coughlin, McAdoo is gone as well. You can't properly higher a head coach while telling said candidate he's forced to keep the offensive coordinator from the previous regime.

You are mainly arguing with 2 guys who root for organizations that have stability in the front office (probably would have been 3 if Future could ever stop wallowing in self pity)

Typically, the most successful franchises in any sport are the ones who have stability and solid leadership in their FO. For obvious reasons the jury is out on your GM, but has Philbin even done enough to get fired if you aren't a jaded Dolphins fan? As i've said earlier from a cursory glance the entire team has improved from having next to nothing at the beginning of his tenure to having some kind of identity and an improving quarterback (and all that with a "scandal" to deal with just last season).

If you don't think Philbin is the guy. That's fine - you're a better fan of your team than I am. I just think it's silly to fire him (or ANY coach) just for the sake of firing them. That's the antithesis of stability. That flying by the seat of your pants.

dionysus

Yaldog

Pay mostly, and stability. Both New York teams are slow to ax, Chicago will be in rebuild so they can afford to spend on a coach if they really want to, and Trestmann is cheap so paying out that contract won't hurt.

Also playoff prospects are better in most of those cases. Who wants to face The Cheat twice a year? Also ownership.

I put the Jets ahead of them only based on patience, pocketbook and a new GM. Ownership is a huge issue there too.

You also had the Redskins in that list. That seems to me to be one of the least desirable places to be. Meddling dumbass owner, short leash on coaches, lots of media scrutiny, and probably a QB search in the near future.

Colasante

I'd love it if the Dolphins kept Joe Philbin. I don't think they'll ever win a Super Bowl with him. I'd be very frightened of them next season if they were to hire Jim Harbaugh. Even acknowledging Colin Kaepernick's decline this season, I think Harbaugh would turn Ryan Tannehill into a Pro Bowl quarterback.

Fantomex

Looks like you guys are going to end up giving up more points this year than you have since 2009. Bad trends man.

Yup. I honestly wouldn't care if we were Jets levels of bad. But this team folds in the second half, and loses the games were we are dominating at points.

eznark

Banned
Pretty much the position we're in with Coughlin and McAdoo. You fire Coughlin, McAdoo is gone as well. You can't properly higher a head coach while telling said candidate he's forced to keep the offensive coordinator from the previous regime.

Make him AHC and give him the job in 2016, make Coughlin personnel guy. Love me some McAdoo!

You also had the Redskins in that list. That seems to me to be one of the least desirable places to be. Meddling dumbass owner, short leash on coaches, lots of media scrutiny, and probably a QB search in the near future.

Didn't have them on the desirable places to be list though!

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think Jags are a possible coaching opening. Position coaches? Absolutely, but this is clearly a personnel issue, not a coaching issue with the team. Gus will get another year at least to build the team.

Tom Penny

I can see it now...McDaniels will incorporate the read option into the game plan.

What's sad is he probably would run a Brady roll out run before a run right up the gut on the 1 SMH. I fully approved of the QB sneak though. Brady has got to be one of the best at it.

eznark

Banned
I'd love it if the Dolphins kept Joe Philbin. I don't think they'll ever win a Super Bowl with him. I'd be very frightened of them next season if they were to hire Jim Harbaugh. Even acknowledging Colin Kaepernick's decline this season, I think Harbaugh would turn Ryan Tannehill into a Pro Bowl quarterback.

If they can get Harbaugh I'd fire Philbin. I don't think they can. I'd love to see Harbaugh with a quarterback who can pass, if only because then he'd have to prove this unfounded QB guru praise.

Make him AHC and give him the job in 2016, make Coughlin personnel guy. Love me some McAdoo!
They'll keep grooming him under Coughlin for another season. If the old man can get the team back to relevance in 2015, then great.They're rewarded for their patience. If he can't and the rebuild must continue, then yeah I think they'll absolutely give McAdoo the reigns. Word from many inside the organization is that they love McAdoo and hired him with the expressed intention of him taking over at HC once Coughlin moves on.

Win/win position really for the organization outside of sacrificing another season but considering the rebuild we have in front us - I'm fine with it.

Tom Penny

Didn't they say something like Tannehill's TD to Wallace was the 1st one this year were the ball traveled 20 yards in the air?

eznark

Banned
They'll keep grooming him under Coughlin for another season. If the old man can get the team back to relevance in 2015, then great.They're rewarded for their patience. If he can't and the rebuild must continue, then yeah I think they'll absolutely give McAdoo the reigns. Word from many inside the organization is that they love McAdoo and hired him with the expressed intention of him taking over at HC once Coughlin moves on.

Win/win position really for the organization outside of sacrificing another season but considering the rebuild we have in front us - I'm fine with it.

I hope so, love McAdoo. He and Bevell are the two guys I most want to see get a head coaching job. I want to see Scott Tolzien as an OC too.

Solution TDR, that's what we need more of! If you tell me fire Philbin and bring in Bevell as HC I'll dance a jig with you if it happens!

x3GRHjU.png

Look at Borland go Ez!

Draxal

Would McAdoo count as being from the Coughlin tree or the McCarthy tree.

It's kinda insane how Belichick and Coughlin have barely anybody on their trees.

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 3m3 minutes ago
Gruden: I'd like to see him improve and hopefully there wont be any debate...this is Robert's team now

Jon's brother is the most bipolar passive-aggressive man in pro football

My right eye is streaming tears of joy. My left eye, those are tears of sadness.

Though it's hard to be too upset considering we took HaHa and Adams in the 1/2 and both look like studs to me.

He won't get much playing time if Bowman and WIllis stay healthy though. They are both under contract for awhile. So I'm not sure what will happen to him. I can't see them moving him around a ton on D. Its a shame we suck so much, our backups/rookies on D played great this year.

Haha and Adams look absolutely ridiculous so far.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's one of the worst ran organizations in sports. The only teams worse is every team in Cleveland.

2 Super Bowl appearances since it began. 1 win. May as well just be the Cubs of the NFL.

Any time I hear any fanbase complaining about "only" one Super Bowl win I just shake my head.

Le sigh.

Draxal

I'm actually thinking the Giants will be pretty decent next year, we have some young talent, and if we get a stud ol in the draft and one guard in fa, I think we should be in playoff contention.

Unless you Jerry Jones, the Giants don't do that, if they fired TC Ben is gone..

Yup! We got fucked by injuries yesterday. Not that we were gonna win but it would have been more interesting. That first half was the first full half I've seen out of this team in four weeks.

that was actually kap's best game against the seachickens in seattle. i actually felt ok about his performance. he was still average at best but i've seen great QB's completely collapse in seattle. kap missed some throws, missed some reads but overall he played much better than he did 2 weeks ago. also felt our offensive line did good work. hyde was beasting and although i am sad to see gore (likely) gone, hyde has shown a lot of explosiveness

I'm hearing that it's possible that Daniel Snyder could take the Redskins franchise (under a different name) to LA and the DC area would just have to wait three years to get another franchise.

I'd take that deal.

I'm actually thinking the Giants will be pretty decent next year, we have some young talent, and if we get a stud ol in the draft and one guard in fa, I think we should be in playoff contention.
I don't think we're far off on the offensive side of the ball. I think we have the pieces to put together a solid offensive line. Injuries and some poor FA decisions have put in a shitty position right now.

JD Walton needs to go. If he would have been a vet minimum signing, fine but he's paid starting center money. Fuck that. Cut him. Weston Richburg is the future at center. Slide the kid over and let him play his natural position. He's been up and down at guard but I'd prefer that and him getting experience than sitting on the bench.

Beatty/Pugh on the outside is fine. Pugh has been up and down in his second year but he'll level out. Geoff Schwartz needs to be in his natural RG position. We need a stud at LG and that's a solid line. The other option is grab a tackle at the top of the 1st and slide Pugh inside but I think the Giants solidly want him at RT.

Defensively is where things on this team get interesting. Safety is a gaping hole next season. Linebacker continues to be a joke outside of Kennard who's been a fucking breath of fresh air and we still need depth on the defensive line. Especially if we let JPP walk.Whatever we do personnel wise, Perry's time is over. Outside of 2010 and the SB run, his defenses have been poor even when the team was healthy.

Unless you Jerry Jones, the Giants don't do that, if they fired TC Ben is gone..

Yeah I think we're saying the same thing.;)

ShaneB

CHIEFS DEFENSE DOES NOT ALLOW A RUSHING TD: The Chiefs defense did not allow a rushing touchdown in today’s game. Through 14 games, they have only allowed two rushing touchdowns. The NFL record for fewest rushing touchdowns allowed in a single season is two, set by four teams: 1934 Detroit Lions, 1944 N.Y. Giants, 1968 Dallas Cowboys and the 1971 Minnesota Vikings.

Would love if the Chiefs could shut down Bell next week, and whoever the Chargers run by committee in week 17 and tie that record at just 2 allowed.

Top Bottom