• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 15 |OT| Drunk in Love

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 16m16 minutes ago
"He's a good football player. The 1 game I saw him in person, he played like a starting quarterback," -- Lovie Smith on Derek Anderson.

Hell of an endorsement from Lovie.

kave ya boy made it to the Big Leagues!

B4g0pVUIAAECvIk.jpg:large

At Marvin Lewis's press conference

=( Well it was more about just not being scared of making a change, I guess I have no idea what dream to be heading towards either.

I just don't care at all about being here. I don't care about advancing, I don't care about the crap we make here, it all feels so useless and ultimately makes me feel worthless. It's just not what I pictured my life being at 32, I guess I had no idea what I pictured in any case. I want to be proud of what I do, feel like I can brag about my job. I don't make a lot of money, so it's not like that helps either, but I just want to not feel ashamed when I tell people what I do, or mumble away and hope the topic changes. This sort of stuff is what I'm nervous about when I go home for Christmas and people ask how work is going, etc etc. Know it can always be worse sure, but the fact things are so stagnant makes it hard to sleep at night when I dread the next day.
Save up >6 months living expenses and start looking for a way out (e.g. new job, asking for promotion/change... standard "what are you going to do, fire me? Be my guest!" stuff). If you can't find a way out without quitting, quit. (That's what the 6 months is for!)

bionic77

=( Well it was more about just not being scared of making a change, I guess I have no idea what dream to be heading towards either.

I just don't care at all about being here. I don't care about advancing, I don't care about the crap we make here, it all feels so useless and ultimately makes me feel worthless. It's just not what I pictured my life being at 32, I guess I had no idea what I pictured in any case. I want to be proud of what I do, feel like I can brag about my job. I don't make a lot of money, so it's not like that helps either, but I just want to not feel ashamed when I tell people what I do, or mumble away and hope the topic changes. This sort of stuff is what I'm nervous about when I go home for Christmas and people ask how work is going, etc etc. Know it can always be worse sure, but the fact things are so stagnant makes it hard to sleep at night when I dread the next day.
You are placing too much importance on your job.

Not saying that changing jobs might not be a good idea, but I would first suggest surrounding yourself with awesome people. It is a lot harder to find awesome people you can be close with than a good job.

I remember going through a similar phase as what you are going through, but in my late 20s. I was about to quit my job and go to DC and work for a congressman who I really liked. It paid less than half of what I made but I felt like that the job being more important in the grand scheme of things would make me happier somehow. Before I went he lost in the primary and that was the end of that. And now I am glad that I stayed where I am. I have a friend who works for the congressman who beat the one I was going to work for and she hates it and is trying to get back into the legal field.

zychi

Banned
One of the strengths of the NFL is that there are fans from every team all over (Gata for example).

Whereas in the NHL, MLB, and the NBA its way more local.

You won't find a bunch of Blazers fans in Kentucky for example.

But you'll find winning teams fair weather fans all over.

Bulls fans coming out of the wood work when I was in SF.
Blackhawks fans are everyyyyyywhere now
Cubs fans slowly coming back nationwide.

It's not just an NFL thing, it's a fairweather fandom thing.

Bowser

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 16m16 minutes ago
"He's a good football player. The 1 game I saw him in person, he played like a starting quarterback," -- Lovie Smith on Derek Anderson.

Hell of an endorsement from Lovie.

kave ya boy made it to the Big Leagues!

You hear that DM? If you're lucky, you might just get a glimpse of the next Tampa Bay starting QB.

Jobs are jobs. I'm working my dream career in an excellent job making boatloads of cash. I still absolutely hate going to work every day. That's not going to change even if you are living your dream. Working is, plain and simply, not going to be fun. The only way I can remotely think of work ever being fun is if you were on the verge of making it big with your own business, and then it'd be just as stressful as it was fun. Even when you work in a job that is your dream life has a great way of taking your dream and making it boring or torturous for you. I'd rather work a job that paid well and was low stress than a dream job if it didn't pay well and resulted in stress. I got lucky in that my dream and a good salary worked hand in hand, but it's not like I didn't work my ass off to get it either.

Fun is when you get home from work and you can relax and do what you want and look back on all you've actually accomplished. Fun is rarely related to your career.

MechDX

T.Y. Hilton was the buzz word today in the #Texans locker room. Pretty clear who they need to stop.

Well no Shit. Never done it before .

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
One of the strengths of the NFL is that there are fans from every team all over (Gata for example).

Whereas in the NHL, MLB, and the NBA its way more local.

You won't find a bunch of Blazers fans in Kentucky for example.

Let's not pretend like bionic wouldn't drown his kids in the bathtub if they were Pats fans or ez's kids getting into a "hunting accident" if they were Bears fans.

I know if my kids become anything other than Packer fans, something went wrong somewhere.

Bowser

ErrZfku.gif

Jobs are jobs. I'm working my dream career in an excellent job making boatloads of cash. I still absolutely hate going to work every day. That's not going to change even if you are living your dream. Working is, plain and simply, not going to be fun. The only way I can remotely think of work ever being fun is if you were on the verge of making it big with your own business, and then it'd be just as stressful as it was fun. Even when you work in a job that is your dream life has a great way of taking your dream and making it boring or torturous for you. I'd rather work a job that paid well and was low stress than a dream job if it didn't pay well and resulted in stress. I got lucky in that my dream and a good salary worked hand in hand, but it's not like I didn't work my ass off to get it either.

Fun is when you get home from work and you can relax and do what you want and look back on all you've actually accomplished. Fun is rarely related to your career.

Truth.

MechDX

Let's not pretend like bionic wouldn't drown his kids in the bathtub if they were Pats fans or ez's kids getting into a "hunting accident" if they were Bears fans.

I know if my kids become anything other than Packer fans, something went wrong somewhere.

Dad's side of my family are all Bears fans, mom's side are all Packer fans

I said fuck it and then of course married into a Patriots family.

Edit 2: and oddly enough my neighbor is a real Jags fan.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I think I figured out the source of your anger being the product of two fanbases like that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Truth right there.

Some days I love my job but most days I can't stand it but I deal with it for now at least.

I try to never tell people where I work because for the people that actually know what my company does they usually hate us. I take pride in what I do but unless grilled on it I never say where I work.

I definitely make the least amount of money from any of my close friends but I tend to have the most fun as I'm not at the office until 10 or 11 at night.

Actually I take that back. My best friend works at Google and his long work hours are mixed in with ridiculously fun stuff.

cdyhybrid

Truth right there.

Some days I love my job but most days I can't stand it but I deal with it for now at least.

I try to never tell people where I work because for the people that actually know what my company does they usually hate us. I take pride in what I do but unless grilled on it I never say where I work.

I definitely make the least amount of money from any of my close friends but I tend to have the most fun as I'm not at the office until 10 or 11 at night.

Actually I take that back. My best friend works at Google and his long work hours are mixed in with ridiculously fun stuff.

Kave is a hitman confirmed. Just got back from a job in North Carolina haven't you?

LevelNth

Banned
I've been thinking about trading in my iPad 3 to get a new Air 2, as iOS 8 and the old 3 don't exactly play well together (and its almost 3 years old anyways).

Is that model still in demand secondhand enough for me to sell that way or are the trade in's at Best Buy and the like more worth my while ie. enough cash for being quick and effortless?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think nearly every major employer in Houston is hated internationally since they're all oil and gas. Halliburton for instance is a huge employer.

ShaneB

Save up >6 months living expenses and start looking for a way out (e.g. new job, asking for promotion/change... standard "what are you going to do, fire me? Be my guest!" stuff). If you can't find a way out without quitting, quit. (That's what the 6 months is for!)

Yeah, I think I'll probably be spending time during my Christmas vacation really trying to do some soul searching.

You are placing too much importance on your job.

Not saying that changing jobs might not be a good idea, but I would first suggest surrounding yourself with awesome people. It is a lot harder to find awesome people you can be close with than a good job.

I remember going through a similar phase as what you are going through, but in my late 20s. I was about to quit my job and go to DC and work for a congressman who I really liked. It paid less than half of what I made but I felt like that the job being more important in the grand scheme of things would make me happier somehow. Before I went he lost in the primary and that was the end of that. And now I am glad that I stayed where I am. I have a friend who works for the congressman who beat the one I was going to work for and she hates it and is trying to get back into the legal field.

Glad it worked out for you in the long run, I guess I get scared of making a big choice again because it seems like every big choice I've made before has turned out to be a wrong one. And I know you're right in the surroundings comment, I'm a pretty lonely guy, so work has taken my already meaningless life, and makes it feel even more meaningless.

Get people here saying truths to this, but I’m going to say it’s a load of bull. Jobs are not just jobs. To feel that way about how most of your day is spent is silly. For some people it can simply be a paycheque, big or small , for other people it can be a means of learning and constantly evolving, for others it can be means of personal fulfillment, doing something they love and just happening to get paid for it, which at that point it doesn’t feel like work or a job, etc. To have such a limited scope of what it means to “work” is ridiculous in my opinion. I mean cajun posts about how much fun he has at work and we think he's crazy, good for him if that's how he feels. I'd pull another quote from the book I'm reading if I could, since it is perfectly appropriate to what I'm saying. Just about a man who had said he'd work until he was a hundred since he loved what he did.

Shane, I'm with you. You can be happy at your job, it's possible. I'm not, but I have kids and responsibility, so I'm boxed in. I actually just had a conversation with my parents where they essentially said it's only important to make money, not be happy. I asked them if I could be a garbage man and make the same money/benefits as I do now, but it would make me happy (outdoors, driving around all day, service to the community), what would they think. They said they'd rather me be unhappy, because I'd never make the same money. I said it's just a hypothetical, and they said they'd rather me be unhappy than have the stigma of me being a trashman. My Dad even dropped a "your happiness isn't worth the embarassment your kids will have". I told them they were judgmental dicks and hung up.

I had a good laugh about it. It was pretty telling.

Get people here saying truths to this, but I’m going to say it’s a load of bull. Jobs are not just jobs. To feel that way about how most of your day is spent is silly. For some people it can simply be a paycheque, big or small , for other people it can be a means of learning and constantly evolving, for others it can be means of personal fulfillment, doing something they love and just happening to get paid for it, which at that point it doesn’t feel like work or a job, etc. To have such a limited scope of what it means to “work” is ridiculous in my opinion.

People who say they "would do it even if it weren't for the money" are mythical creatures man. I can say "I love my job" and still say "Going to work daily is drudgery." Everything I do at work I also do on my free time as a hobby. It literally is what I love doing. Doing it as a job, however, manages to steal all of the fun and magic from it 90% of the time. Being forced to be in one place at a certain time every day working on things you may or may not feel like working on turns fun into work no matter who you are. Plus, it's not how most of my day is spent. I spend 8 hours a day at work for 5 days a week. It's how I spend 40 hours out of 168 hours in a week, less than a quarter of the time. Focus on making the other 128 hours good and chalk up work time to work.

bionic77

I think we found out why you are so damn crazy.

Shane, I'm with you. You can be happy at your job, it's possible. I'm not, but I have kids and responsibility, so I'm boxed in. I actually just had a conversation with my parents where they essentially said it's only important to make money, not be happy. I asked them if I could be a garbage man and make the same money/benefits as I do now, but it would make me happy (outdoors, driving around all day, service to the community), what would they think. They said they'd rather me be unhappy, because I'd never make the same money. I said it's just a hypothetical, and they said they'd rather me be unhappy than have the stigma of me being a trashman. My Dad even dropped a "your happiness isn't worth the embarassment your kids will have". I told them they were judgmental dicks and hung up.

I had a good laugh about it. It was pretty telling.
You know your parents are dicks but honestly I would stay at a miserable job if it meant a better life for my kids.

But that is my choice and I won't expect that everyone would or should make the same choice.

That said being a lawyer is awesome. You spend all day fighting with people. Its very competitive. Its like sports in a way because you get a winner. There is nothing quite so satisfying as making someone else look like a total Gata during cross-examination.

That said lawyers, doctors and most executives are often grossly overpaid and hugely entitled. Never mind actually almost all Americans are hugely entitled. Everyone in this country thinks they should be paid a million dollars. We definitely suck as a people in a lot of ways.

Bowser

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 14s14 seconds ago
"(Cam) feels like he's letting everybody down," Rivera said of Newton's mood

tothatsmyqb.gif

eznark

Banned
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 14s14 seconds ago
"(Cam) feels like he's letting everybody down," Rivera said of Newton's mood

tothatsmyqb.gif

I assume this was a quote from before he got injured and gave the Panthers a chance to win?

I think we found out why you are so damn crazy.

You know your parents are dicks but honestly I would stay at a miserable job if it meant a better life for my kids.

But that is my choice and I won't expect that everyone would or should make the same choice.

That said being a lawyer is awesome. You spend all day fighting with people. Its very competitive. Its like sports in a way because you get a winner. There is nothing quite so satisfying as making someone else look like a total Gata during cross-examination.

That said lawyers, doctors and most executives are often grossly overpaid and hugely entitled. Never mind actually almost all Americans are hugely entitled. Everyone in this country thinks they should be paid a million dollars. We definitely suck as a people in a lot of ways.

Darkest_Red is married to a pats fan and he's not crazy

Top Bottom