• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 15 |OT| Drunk in Love

zychi

Banned
Pedro Martinez was the GOAT in his prime.. Love him. Manny Ramirez was my favorite player for years edit- sucks what happened to him :(, even I tried to convince myself it was all about that sweet stroke. People STILL try to convince themselves Griffey didn't roid.

Who cares if they "roid" Can you hit a 90mph curveball over the monster during the World Series with millions of people watching and be one of the best postseason hitters of all time?

Because 99% of the people on Earth can't do that.

Bread

Banned
Didn't even have to waterboard you to get this out. Doesn't feel right.
i'm ready to admit it

the pats have developed a super strain of HGH cream that is undetectable. it does not improve any football related skills, but it does turn their fat stomachs into chiseled works of art and their gata faces into beauty.

cdyhybrid

Yeah like Holding on to Aldon Smith despite the DUI, the bomb threat, the general scummy stuff.

I mean, I'm not going to argue that the Niners *as a whole* aren't an absolutely disgusting organization and fanbase as they currently stand, but the discussion was about PED use, and they've done alright there aside from the aforementioned Eric Wright mistake.

As for the rest of your post, like I said, most of our teams do things we don't approve of as morally upright fans. But that doesn't change the fact that these things are wrong.

You would've gotten off relatively easy with your team if you ignore the whole Spygate thing (which is impossible, obviously): endorsing PED use is much less objectionable than endorsing terrorism like the Niners.

Now I think you're trolling. Before, no. But now, yes.

I realize I could have clarified my assertion there. I was making a statement within the framework of a discussion about PEDs. They haven't been any worse than the rest of the league in that sense. As far as everything else, they're indeed pretty much the spawn of Satan himself.

This is probably why Joe Fauria wanted to go on IR. How embarrassing having his girlfriend slob on Russell's knob in a public forum like Twitter.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Who cares if they "roid" Can you hit a 90mph curveball over the monster during the World Series with millions of people watching and be one of the best postseason hitters of all time?

Because 99% of the people on Earth can't do that.

I agree to an extent, but yeah not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. I made the point that EVERYONE is doing it, so let's not argue and pretend like that's a valid reason to discredit a team.

Who actually cares about PED use

Apparently anybody not a pats fake edit* boston sports fan. Any other team with PED users was either an honest mistake or were punished properly.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I mean, I'm not going to argue that the Niners *as a whole* aren't an absolutely disgusting organization and fanbase as they currently stand, but the discussion was about PED use, and they've done alright there aside from the aforementioned Eric Wright mistake.

As for the rest of your post, like I said, most of our teams do things we don't approve of as morally upright fans. But that doesn't change the fact that these things are wrong.

You would've gotten off relatively easy with your team if you ignore the whole Spygate thing (which is impossible, obviously): endorsing PED use is much less objectionable than endorsing terrorism like the Niners.

It's not necassarily about JUST PED use it's the argument that a team advocates or allows bad stuff to go on. Keeping Irvin despite the positive test proves that the team is willing to give the guy another shot and honestly what it really is (most likely not a fact but 99% sure about this) is that they know this guy is roiding amongst others but they don't give a shit. Just llike every other franchise in the league... I mean look at that list of players and you have just about every team in the league accounted for. Pats are just as guilty as others, but nobody gives a shit. How about the other teams that put in offers on Talib or Browner? They clearly "advocate" it as well.

zychi

Banned
I agree to an extent, but yeah not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. I made the point that EVERYONE is doing it, so let's not argue and pretend like that's a valid reason to discredit a team.

Apparently anybody not a pats fake edit* boston sports fan. Any other team with PED users was either an honest mistake or were punished properly.

I'm a huge Manny, Papi and Pedro fan. The Red Sox are my American League team.

So I'm not against them.

I also don't give two shits about PEDs. If it helps the human body heal, why is it illegal? Ryan Leaf could have taken every PED in the world, he wasn't going to become a great NFL QB.

It's one thing to crash your car and murder a teammate while on a legal substance (Josh Brent) it's an entirely different thing to get caught taking an illegal substance that should help you heal faster so you can help your team win (A-Rod).

One of the best scorers of all time in soccer grew up on HGH to keep him healthy, and his team paid for it, why isn't that banned in sports?

But a WR can't take Adderall to help him study a playbook.

It's a dumb issue, and GodSlay is just a giant troll at this point.

cajunator

Banned
Quote from the book I'm currently reading. Regarding people who stick around in jobs they hate..

"Most were just too scared to leave. They tolerated the daily drudgery of work because dealing with daily drudgery was easier than quitting and doing something truly scary: sailing into unknown waters in pursuit of a dream."

=*(

Jobs are jobs. I'm working my dream career in an excellent job making boatloads of cash. I still absolutely hate going to work every day. That's not going to change even if you are living your dream. Working is, plain and simply, not going to be fun. The only way I can remotely think of work ever being fun is if you were on the verge of making it big with your own business, and then it'd be just as stressful as it was fun. Even when you work in a job that is your dream life has a great way of taking your dream and making it boring or torturous for you. I'd rather work a job that paid well and was low stress than a dream job if it didn't pay well and resulted in stress. I got lucky in that my dream and a good salary worked hand in hand, but it's not like I didn't work my ass off to get it either.

Fun is when you get home from work and you can relax and do what you want and look back on all you've actually accomplished. Fun is rarely related to your career.

I dont agree with this. there are frustrating days at my work related to fuel allocation/rack breakdowns being pretty ridiculous and customers occasionally being obnoxious/dumb, but the actual job itself, what I do, is enjoyable to me. Its not flashy or hugely exciting, but the people I work with are more friends than acquaintances and we all work together to help each other and not separated in our own little worlds, though our terminal division areas are our responsibility to manage. It is consistently challenging to keep the trucks moving and stores staying fueld up, especially when things go wrong, and the pay isnt great but honestly Im happy. Im very content. I can leave when I want to take breaks, I can watch whatever is available on the TVs (they have LUS fiber HD channels so I get NFL Network and ESPN as well as movie channels) and generally I can sit at my desk playing on 3DS for a few hours as long as my work gets done.
Id say my job is pretty damned fun. I rarely ever walk into work at 6 dreading being there. I know when the crazy busy nights will be so I can anticipate when I will have to work harder most of the time. There is even a popcorn maker and I am surrounded by great food choices all around the office and on the way to work. I dunno. Maybe thats one of my reasons for being happy all the time because I dont hate my job. I mean I look forward to the real off time like Im right now because I have time to enjoy the entertainment and stuff that I buy but thats an entire week of off time so I put my nose to the grinder on my work week because its worth it. I cant go to movies or play much games on my work week because of the long hours. But that doesnt mean those 12 hours at the office are a drag.

Msdstc, you take this stuff too personally. People hate the Pats, and that's that. I'm a Ravens fan, one of the most universally despised franchises out of their city. I could care less if other people think we're thugs or murderers. We win a lot of games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

So I'm not against them.

I also don't give two shits about PEDs. If it helps the human body heal, why is it illegal? Ryan Leaf could have taken every PED in the world, he wasn't going to become a great NFL QB.

It's one thing to crash your car and murder a teammate while on a legal substance (Josh Brent) it's an entirely different thing to get caught taking an illegal substance that should help you heal faster so you can help your team win (A-Rod).

One of the best scorers of all time in soccer grew up on HGH to keep him healthy, and his team paid for it, why isn't that banned in sports?

Ehhh i loved Manny, my favorite player at the time, thought he was amazing to watch... however his run at the end was shameful. The confrontations with teammates and his agent, hitting his wife, the constant suspensions. It was messy. Ortiz has done well of shedding that "leak" and I don't fault him for it because it's clear as day that the majority of the league, and I mean VAST majority, are roiding. Hell there were a ton of big names on that A-Rod list that nothing ever really came of. I agree HGH/Steroids is not a one way ticket to success... what I'm saying is if you take 2 players of identical stature, one is a multi-time all star, the other is a multi-time MVP first ballot guy. Look at Adrian Beltre that one season, or any of those 1 year wonder guys, just recently you had Chris Davis. It is enough to make that kind of diffference for sure, and some people legitimately don't want to do that, but in order to reach that level may have to.

Msdstc, you take this stuff too personally. People hate the Pats, and that's that. I'm a Ravens fan, one of the most universally despised franchises out of their city. I could care less if other people think we're thugs or murderers. We win a lot of games.
Thugs and murderers are a bit different than using steroids.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Honestly I don't take it "personally" if you read through the progression of the argument, all I did was say gronk is potentially losing his hair and BAM hgh argument. I just have trouble in all arguments not just flipping logic on people. The idea to me that Gronk potentially did HGH and that's wrong is hilariously biased, same with the whole "bruce irvin is young so he's fine", that's silly. I'm confused how this is "whining" though, I argue to no end about 1 sided logic like this in any thread. I'd say it's more an OCD thing, even though I know there's no end in sight for it ;)

cdyhybrid

Honestly I don't take it "personally" if you read through the progression of the argument, all I did was say gronk is potentially losing his hair and BAM hgh argument. I just have trouble in all arguments not just flipping logic on people. The idea to me that Gronk potentially did HGH and that's wrong is hilariously biased, same with the whole "bruce irvin is young so he's fine", that's silly. I'm confused how this is "whining" though, I argue to no end about 1 sided logic like this in any thread. I'd say it's more an OCD thing, even though I know there's no end in sight for it ;)

I never said it was fine. You tried to give the Pats a pass by saying everyone else was doing the same thing, but that's false.

Of course it's biased! That's the point! I do love watching you argue with everybody, but don't let it get to you. Slay is good peoples.

Godslay

Banned

So I'm not against them.

Good god, disgusting.

I shit on Jay Cutler every chance I get. If that makes me a troll, I'll get a damn tattoo on my face that says giant troll.

A WR can take Adderall under the league's rules, if he gets a script and is league approved. Apparently, you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to this stuff. PED != Substance Abuse. Plus players can get approved for these drugs in most legitimate cases it's called a therapeutic use exemption.

I'll take this shot 100% of the time. You are a master logician, at the level of Bertrand Russell. It's amazing to watch really. I'm still stuck on the paradox of admitting that PEDs tainted the Red Sox, but Spygate didn't taint the Pats. It doesn't make any sense. One is for personal performance which in some cases the team has no control over, and the other is systematic cheating on a franchise level. Do you condone both as a means to win? It certain appears that way.

jakncoke

Banned
In 1997 no one made 6 a year

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press reported today that Sanders agreed to a $34.56 million contract that averages slightly more than $5.7 million a season. Troy Aikman had been the NFL's top-paid player, averaging $5.671 million a year.

The contract also includes a clause mandating Sanders be the highest-paid running back in the NFL in the sixth year of the contract, the Free Press reported.

what a clause

http://juneauempire.com/stories/072197/sanders.html

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Of course it's biased! That's the point! I do love watching you argue with everybody, but don't let it get to you. Slay is good peoples.

It's an uphill battle that's for sure, poking holes in false logic. I think people would be surprised because I do this kind of thing against my own team, I try my best to be unbiased. If Tom is playing like shit he's playing like shit. I have been attempting to walk away from stuff like that, because it's something I end up spending a lot of time on, but again it's more of an OCD thing, and I know for sure it pisses some people off or rubs them the wrong way. As for the Godslay thing, I'm sure he's fine a lot of people like him, I know PERSONALLY I'm not the only one who shares that he takes it too seriously. It's obnoxious trying to either share an opinion or just start a light conversation and hearing a long list of facts on why his team is right yours is wrong. I do what I can to not get sucked in, but I'm an easy target for debating it's something I've always done. I do appreciate the sentiment though, I'm doing what I can to share my thoughts and let the trolling go.

I never said it was fine. You tried to give the Pats a pass by saying everyone else was doing the same thing, but that's false.

Sorry post got deleted. I wasn't "giving the pats a pass" I was saying it doesn't bother me, because if it did than every team in the damn league would bother me. If you honestly believe your team isn't knowingly employing somebody juicing, well that's your opinion, but it's ridiculously unlikely, and I'm trying to not be "offensive", but cmon man use your head.

edit- I'll take this shot 100% of the time. You are a master logician, at the level of Bertrand Russell. It's amazing to watch really. I'm still stuck on the paradox of admitting that PEDs tainted the Red Sox, but Spygate didn't taint the Pats. It doesn't make any sense. One is for personal performance which in some cases the team has no control over, and the other is systematic cheating on a franchise level. Do you condone both as a means to win? It certain appears that way.

Had to say it, but I never said the sox were tainted. I said I would be stupid to think players on that WS team weren't roiding, just like any other team to win a WS would be, somehow you got that I said they were tainted though......... You'd also be ignorant (IMO) if you didn't think your team hasn't cheated or juiced in some way. It is legitimately part of sports, and if you think otherwise again it's very oblivious and ignorant. It's like all those people who get upset hearing that a celebrity cheated on their spouse, or when people were mad brady was dropping F bombs... lol really, it's rampant.

cdyhybrid

edit- I'll take this shot 100% of the time. You are a master logician, at the level of Bertrand Russell. It's amazing to watch really. I'm still stuck on the paradox of admitting that PEDs tainted the Red Sox, but Spygate didn't taint the Pats. It doesn't make any sense. One is for personal performance which in some cases the team has no control over, and the other is systematic cheating on a franchise level. Do you condone both as a means to win? It certain appears that way.

Can you clarify this part? I think you're trying to be sarcastic at the beginning but I can't tell where the sarcasm ends (I'm not being snarky here).

I never condoned PED use or Spygate, I'm not really sure where you're getting that notion. They both tainted the RedSox and Pats, and the Pats, respectively. Can you clarify what you're referring to?

Had to say it, but I never said the sox were tainted. I said I would be stupid to think players on that WS team weren't roiding, just like any other team to win a WS would be, somehow you got that I said they were tainted though......... You'd also be ignorant (IMO) if you didn't think your team hasn't cheated or juiced in some way. It is legitimately part of sports, and if you think otherwise again it's very oblivious and ignorant. It's like all those people who get upset hearing that a celebrity cheated on their spouse, or when people were mad brady was dropping F bombs... lol really, it's rampant.

Of course my team has had people get busted for stuff, but most of them are no longer with the team. That's my point - we're not going out looking for roiders to pay.

zychi

Banned
Good god, disgusting.

I'll take this shot 100% of the time. You are a master logician, at the level of Bertrand Russell. It's amazing to watch really. I'm still stuck on the paradox of admitting that PEDs tainted the Red Sox, but Spygate didn't taint the Pats. It doesn't make any sense. One is for personal performance which in some cases the team has no control over, and the other is systematic cheating on a franchise level. Do you condone both as a means to win? It certain appears that way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The NFL fined the Denver Broncos and coach Josh McDaniels $50,000 each because the team's video operations director filmed a San Francisco 49ers practice in London last month, breaking league rules.

Just stop it. Jimmy Johnson came out publicly and said teams have been doing it for years. Teams swap practice film with each other all the time. Just stop.

Grasp another straw. I hear Aaron Hernandez went to jail, you should try that one.

Top Bottom