• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

Kiryu

Someone need to gif of that old man doing best "ref draw penalty flag" impression after Wilson pass to Willson for TD.

and other gif I wanted to see was where Pete Caroll goes "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh" when Russell scrambles for a TD I think. :O

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Who cares just marvel at this picture.

B5cCYfECIAEy5so.jpg

https://m.soundcloud.com/seattleseahawks/seavsaz-lynch-79-yard-touchdown

Lol

cdyhybrid

I think that title still belongs to Staubach who is one of the best QBs of all time. Yard stats don't mean particularly much. Although, it was fitting that he broke Aikman's record by throwing to Witten. Those two have a special bond.

Unless you are being sarcastic, because if you are it went over my head. Are you being sarcastic?

I was trying a :tompenny impression, but seriously - grats to Romo. He's pretty good, even though he tends to choke in big situations.

Farooq

Banned
I was trying a :tompenny impression, but seriously - grats to Romo. He's pretty good, even though he tends to choke in big situations.

Ah, I understand.

So I was talking with moms earlier, she could tell I was out of it, asked me what was wrong, I'm like the Bills lost and are out of the playoffs. She's like, "well, they can't win every game or go to the playoffs every year." Even she's trolling me.

I empathise man (about the loss, and missing out on the playoffs). Not much I can say, but I know it sucks.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've always liked Romo despite him being a Cowboy. Seems like a good dude who went undrafted and proved a lot of people wrong and had provided NFL fans with years of hilarity.

If anyone deserves a Super Bowl its the Detroit Lions franchise, the city of Detroit and Calvin Johnson.

Fuck the bandwagon Seahawk and Cowboys they already have a Super Bowl. And by the Football Gods I couldn't take another offseason of smug Packer fans talking about another Super Bowl win.

We're the team of destiny with an elite defense that can stop anybody and leaders and playmakers on offense from QB to WR that can't be stopped when they play at the level they're supposed to.

This is our year, 1st seed, 2nd seed or 6th seed.

Restore the Roar 2014.

zychi

Banned
I've always liked Romo despite him being a Cowboy. Seems like a good dude who went undrafted and proved a lot of people wrong and had provided NFL fans with years of hilarity.

If anyone deserves a Super Bowl its the Detroit Lions franchise, the city of Detroit and Calvin Johnson.

Fuck the bandwagon Seahawk and Cowboys they already have a Super Bowl. And by the Football Gods I couldn't take another offseason of smug Packer fans talking about another Super Bowl win.

We're the team of destiny with an elite defense that can stop anybody and leaders and playmakers on offense from QB to WR that can't be stopped when they play at the level they're supposed to.

Restore the Roar 2014.
If ive ever seen an elite defense, it was today against Jimmy Clausen and no BMarsh! All those points they put on the worst defense in the league today was record breaking! Remarkable to watch! I bet Staffordnis celebrating with 6 deep dish pizzas!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If ive ever seen an elite defense, it was today against Jimmy Clausen and no BMarsh! All those points they put on the worst defense in the league today was record breaking! Remarkable to watch! I bet Staffordnis celebrating with 6 deep dish pizzas!

One TD came after a muffed Punt return that gave you guys the ball at the 10 yard line and the other TD was a result of another Special Teams miscue, roughing the kicker, that gave you the ball back.

Matt Forte had 19 rushes for 55 yards and Suh got two sacks.

All in all great day for the defense considering the circumstances given to them by Special Teams.

Our run defense is historically great, statistically speaking, and Nick Fairley will be coming back either this week or for the playoffs.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Restore the Roar 2014.
Already prepping for your loss to the Packers I see.

zychi

Banned
One TD came after a muffed Punt return that gave you guys the ball at the 10 yard line and the other TD was a result of another Special Teams miscue, roughing the kicker, that gave you the ball back.

Matt Forte had 19 rushes for 55 yards and Suh got two sacks.

All in all great day for the defense considering the circumstances given to them by Special Teams.

Our run defense is historically great, statistically speaking, and Nick Fairley will be coming back either this week or for the playoffs.
Restore the roar 2014.
Elite team barely beating a bottom feeder team. 2 sacks against an offensive line missing two starters, and Jimmy 1-10 as a starter Clausen as the QB. Coach being fired, and statistically one of the worst defenses of all time!
Can't wait for that playoff run!

Restore the roar 2014!

Kiryu

Sad to hear that Falcons vs. Panthers won't be the SNF game. :(
Same. I am more excited with that game more than AFC North. Who hella would be excited about Bengals or Steelers win AFC North but will be one and done in playoff. I mean come on! One of them have to go up against Broncos or Patriots?

I think Steelers have better chance of pulling "wildcard Eli playoff card" but that's pretty much it.

Striker

I think Steelers have better chance of pulling "wildcard Eli playoff card" but that's pretty much it.
They already did in 2005, so did Green Bay in 2010. Pittsburgh have the most realistic chance, but a team like Cincinnati would surprise everybody considering their post-season results of recent years.

I see Jeff Fisher was up to is usual tricks in the game yesterday. Cheap shots and late hits, primarily targeting Odell Beckham. Why the hell is Gregg Williams still employed? Only Fisher. Odell gave no fucks.

A6JoL2r.jpg

Tabris

I think Manning is getting his bad games out now instead of the playoffs. Let's start that playoff run. Channel that inner Eli. I believe in Peyton!

Ibio

Neo Member
Trying to come out of the lurker's shadow a bit and finally start posting...

This is the first season that I've really dived into the sport, haven't missed a game, and what a season to do it as a Falcons fan...I was at the London game to suffer the ridiculous highs and lows in person. After 25 years of not 'getting' sports, never watching a full football (soccer) game in my life, I am now screaming in jubilation and pain at the TV, seriously confusing my family in my abrupt change in attitude to sports.

So I'm definitely feeling more and more comfortable with the game, but I still don't really 'understand' a lot of it. I couldn't for the life of me, for example, explain what a nickel defence is and it's pro and cons against different plays. I've dragged a few friends into getting into the game, we play a bit of Madden now and again, and we just select any play without much consideration. So I wanted to ask if any of you had any tips or videos to watch to increase this kind of game knowledge? Or do you think it's the kind of thing you just pick up with watching more and more of games in general?

And I just want to say how awesome Gamepass is. At first I felt like I'd paid way too much for what it is, but have with watching as many games as I have and really entertaining/intresting docs, definitely got my moneys worth. Looks like the US kind of get's shafted to access the same level of stuff?

Duxxy3

Hate to say it, but unless the patriots make a move for help at offensive guard they are not a real threat. The people they have are just not good enough at pass blocking. LT/C/RT are good enough, but those guard spots are not filled with talented people.

FTF

This defense? Hah.
And then add in the regression of the o-line in recent weeks?

Pats need a miracle to make it to the SB, let alone go up against Seattle, GB, Dallas or Detroit.

All this from a bad win over the Jets? The defense is still fine, the o-line is a concern yes, but I feel good at home against most of the AFC teams and would feel good against Cowboys and Lions. GB would be a coin toss and Seattle of course would be trouble, but not impossible.

Tomlin's back in the show with perhaps the worst Steeler secondary in 30-some years. Not sure whether to give him props or hell for that feat. I guess props since I wrote this team off about three weeks ago or so. As long as Ben is healthy and the O stays on point, they can make some noise. If not, they'll get steamrolled. As for the Chefs, fuck them. Hope that trash talkin asshole Rivers lights them up.

So I was talking with moms earlier, she could tell I was out of it, asked me what was wrong, I'm like the Bills lost and are out of the playoffs. She's like, "well, they can't win every game or go to the playoffs every year." Even she's trolling me.
:jnc, so brutal.

Unrelated, I am so tired of Tannehill getting compared to Alex Smith. I know why that narrative has caught on, it's the simple fact that the Dolphins offense doesn't feature many deep passes, but it's absurd to act like Tannehill is as limited as Smith physically. Tannehill consistently throws deep comebacks and in routes on a rope, something Smith could only dream of doing. The Dolphins offense is designed around lots of quick hitting timing routes but at least they are going to WR's most of the time. Regardless, Tannehill has a very strong arm, he has just struggled with deep ball accuracy at times.

If Tannehill really was as limited as Smith I would not be okay with keeping him around. Alex Smith is one of my least favorite QB's to watch. He's efficient but his style of play is extremely limited and boring as hell.

Such a lazy comparison, drives me nuts.

Slo

:jnc

Oh man, I don't want to laugh cause I feel bad for you, LJ but well that's funny in the worst possible way.:)

In stat related news that boggles the mind - the Giants snapped a 31 game streak yesterday. Its the first time in 31 games they did not commit a turnover.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Woah hahaha

Trying to come out of the lurker's shadow a bit and finally start posting...

This is the first season that I've really dived into the sport, haven't missed a game, and what a season to do it as a Falcons fan...I was at the London game to suffer the ridiculous highs and lows in person. After 25 years of not 'getting' sports, never watching a full football (soccer) game in my life, I am now screaming in jubilation and pain at the TV, seriously confusing my family in my abrupt change in attitude to sports.

So I'm definitely feeling more and more comfortable with the game, but I still don't really 'understand' a lot of it. I couldn't for the life of me, for example, explain what a nickel defence is and it's pro and cons against different plays. I've dragged a few friends into getting into the game, we play a bit of Madden now and again, and we just select any play without much consideration. So I wanted to ask if any of you had any tips or videos to watch to increase this kind of game knowledge? Or do you think it's the kind of thing you just pick up with watching more and more of games in general?

And I just want to say how awesome Gamepass is. At first I felt like I'd paid way too much for what it is, but have with watching as many games as I have and really entertaining/intresting docs, definitely got my moneys worth. Looks like the US kind of get's shafted to access the same level of stuff?

Dude it takes time. My whole family was essentially into baseball and basketball then nothing else. I literally learned football by playing Tecmo Bowl, Madden, and NFL Gameday. From then I just devoured as much information as I could about the sport. It was so chess-like to me and so intensely strategic that I was drawn to it like a fly to shit. I have read and recommended Pat Kirwan's book "Take Your Eye Off the Ball". I would send you my copy but I am pretty sure I passed it on to another GAFfer some years back.

If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me. I have become the guy that my friends want to watch football games with. It's gotten to the point where watching the broadcast I am breaking down plays before the announcers even get to it. They seem to really enjoy that I can explain what is going on one on one rather than the general broadcast explanation.

Back when I was growing up, I honestly did learn a lot about formations and stuff from playing Madden. There are always things online you can read/watch though. You can just start with Wikipedia.

First, welcome!

Start here my friend. The intention of the thread never worked out as intended unfortunately but its still a good resource to learn:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

Feeling a little better 'bout the Falcons.
What are the chances if they get in that they'd host the Cards again?
That seems like a perfectly winnable game at this point.

BigAT

First, welcome!

Start here my friend. The intention of the thread never worked out as intended unfortunately but its still a good resource to learn:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

I thought it was good while it lasted, just not enough people to sustain it. I always thought it was funny that the main participants in that thread were fans from just a select number of teams.

Looking through the last page of it reminded me, fuck Hakeem Nicks for quitting on every one of his routes his final year:

ibh5CWIE438qbg.gif

Greg

:jnc

I thought it was good while it lasted, just not enough people to sustain it. I always thought it was funny that the main participants in that thread were fans from just a select number of teams.

Looking through the last page of it reminded me, fuck Hakeem Nicks for quitting on every one of his routes his final year:

ibh5CWIE438qbg.gif
I'm still sort of dumbfounded at how far he's fallen in his career. The entire offense was broken in 2013 but Nicks did absolutely nothing to help. Now he's basically a non-factor for the Colts and likely to be without a team in 2015 and possibly out of the NFL when no one bothers to pick him up.

For a guy that could have been considered one of the top wideouts in the game after 2011. Insane.

EDIT: ....fuck Beatty was horrible last season. He had a rough game yesterday but has had a nice bounce back season this year, thankfully.

Slo

Most "base" 4-3 or 3-4 defenses have 4 players in the secondary: 2 cornerbacks and 2 safeties. Those are ideal for matching up with 2 WR formations. A "nickel" defense has 5 defensive backs, swapping out a linebacker for an extra cornerback. You'd want to use this when the offense puts a 3rd WR on the field so that you have enough cornerbacks to match up with them. Otherwise you might have a linebacker trying to cover a WR.

A "dime" package is 6 defensive backs, 4 corners and 2 safeties. Use this to match up with 4 WR formations.

Slo

Also, naturally the more secondary players you have on the field the better you are against the pass, but the worse your defense is against stopping the run. Put the appropriate defense on the field for the given situation. If it's 3rd and 27 and your opponent comes out in a 2 WR set, you might as well play dime anyway because you know he's going to pass.

Caja 117

This defense? Hah.
And then add in the regression of the o-line in recent weeks?

Pats need a miracle to make it to the SB, let alone go up against Seattle, GB, Dallas or Detroit.

I think they will make it to the SB, i dont see any team wining against them in foxborough, been that said, i also dont think they can win against a team like the Seahawks, im a pats fan, but The seahawk will probrably win another SB if they keep number one seed, that team is playing out of their mind, and Im no longer a Russ Wilson doubter.

One of my friends is a Wisconsin native, and I always get an earful when the Pack takes it to the Falcons.
Guess he might get a second opportunity to gloat this season.

Top Bottom