• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

LevelNth

Banned
Last night was an amazing example of the Seahawks O without Marshawn Lynch, and the O with him when he came in in the 2nd quarter.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Nevermind.
Packers are locked into 5th seed.
Whoever makes it out of the NFC South is going to host Green Bay.

One of my friends is a Wisconsin native, and I always get an earful when the Pack takes it to the Falcons.
Guess he might get a second opportunity to gloat this season.

Huh? They're playing Detroit next week basically for the NFC North championship. They could end up as high as the #1 seed if everything breaks right.

Furyous

Can we talk coach of the year and MVP for a second? Of the teams in the playoffs or in the hunt, who is your choice for coach of the year?

Who is your choice for MVP?

---

Coach Tomlin has a done a great job in Pittsburgh. He's coached his ass of this year and is earned strong consideration for the award, in my opinion. Bruce Arians coached a team with carousel of Logan Thomas, Drew Stanton, and Ryan Lindley to 11 wins (possibly 12 *crosses fingers*). He deserves the John Fox award for "look at who the starting QB is" at the very least, in my opinion. Of course I support coach Arians in this case.

Brady Manning wins this award, IMHO. My vote goes to either Romo or Russell. Romo battled back injuries and all types of adversity this year. Russell Wilson is a great young QB in a class of his own that continues to prove talent evaluators need to spend more time in the film room.

Respect

I think they will make it to the SB, i dont see any team wining against them in foxborough, been that said, i also dont think they can win against a team like the Seahawks, im a pats fan, but The seahawk will probrably win another SB if they keep number one seed, that team is playing out of their mind, and Im no longer a Russ Wilson doubter.

Pats would need a perfect game against the Seahawks in addition to a couple turnovers at least. SEA is playing out of their mind right now and would easily beat anyone anyway, but even if they come off this hot streak, they are still a bad matchup for NE. They can pressure the QB without blizting and their secondary is the best.

Most good defensive teams have either a good front 7 that needs to compensate for a weaker secondary or a strong secondary that can hold up when your front 7 needs to blitz to put pressure. Seahawks are the rare team that have both...that is why they can dominate in this pass happy NFL.

eznark

Banned
First, welcome!

Start here my friend. The intention of the thread never worked out as intended unfortunately but its still a good resource to learn:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

Was just thinking about that thread this morning. I took on some new roles this year so I ended up not even getting the All-22 video package this year, but I think I'll be able to do it again moving forward. That was always the fun part of it for me, trying to out Bedard Bedard.

MechDX

EasygoingDecentBuzzard.gif

Ole' motherfucker!!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Pats would need a perfect game against the Seahawks in addition to a couple turnovers at least. SEA is playing out of their mind right now and would easily beat anyone anyway, but even if they come off this hot streak, they are still a bad matchup for NE. They can pressure the QB without blizting and their secondary is the best.

Most good defensive teams have either a good front 7 that needs to compensate for a weaker secondary or a strong secondary that can hold up when your front 7 needs to blitz to put pressure. Seahawks are the rare team that have both...that is why they can dominate in this pass happy NFL.

Same with the Pats.

The issue for the Pats would be Russell Wilson and the issues he introduces with his mobility.

Oh god ESPN First Take. What Skip did to Stephen A. He's wearing a Dallas Cowboys hat and a I <3 Jerry Jones t-shirt. I wouldn't wished that on my enemies

"If you look at our season, besides two or three games, we've been in every game," said rookie safety Calvin Pryor. "You can cut it and slice it how you want to. I think we're -- what are we, 3-12? -- I think we're the best 3-12 team in the history of football. No doubt about it."

jest.txt

LevelNth

Banned
Same with the Pats.

The issue for the Pats would be Russell Wilson and the issues he introduces with his mobility.
I don't think that will be a problem, the Pats don't have a wholly incompetent DC like many teams.

Even the broken, injury riddled Niners D with their patented 3-and-out-again? offense this season held Wussle to less than 70 yards combined over like 15 carries in their two games.

Stopping Marshawn is the crux to completely negating the Seahawks O, and having corners that won't bite on the run fakes and blowing coverages for the passing chunk plays they scheme for. You take that away, and the team simply cannot put up points. It's been done this year, the film is there.

This defense? Hah.
And then add in the regression of the o-line in recent weeks?

Pats need a miracle to make it to the SB, let alone go up against Seattle, GB, Dallas or Detroit.
This defense hasn't given up a 2nd half touchdown since the Colts game. They've played green bay, Detroit, San Diego, and Miami in that stretch.

Was just thinking about that thread this morning. I took on some new roles this year so I ended up not even getting the All-22 video package this year, but I think I'll be able to do it again moving forward. That was always the fun part of it for me, trying to out Bedard Bedard.
Work has been tough for me this year as well. I don't have as much time during the day as I used to to post. The other part (and I'm just being honest) with the Giants being shit - it's hard to muster the interest in going over film of bad play. I can't imagine most anyone has any interest in reading about it either.

Yep. Defense and special teams has been carrying the offense since the GB game. Too many 3 and outs. I can deal with punting at mid field but 3 and out punting from the freaking 20 or less is getting aggravating.
Hopefully they run the ball more in the playoffs and not try to get all cute.

Respect

Yep. Defense and special teams has been carrying the offense since the GB game. Too many 3 and outs. I can deal with punting at mid field but 3 and out punting from the freaking 20 or less is getting aggravating.

Yeah, this song and dance is pretty familiar...peak at mid season and decline going into the playoffs. Defense has been consistent, but they are not quite good enough to carry the team to a SB let alone win it.

Ibio

Neo Member
I have read and recommended Pat Kirwan's book "Take Your Eye Off the Ball". I would send you my copy but I am pretty sure I passed it on to another GAFfer some years back.

Cheers for the book recommendation, looks like just the kind of thing I'm after. Downloaded ready for the commute tonight! Been drawn to the game for the same kind of reasons as you, the strategic nature just seems massive compared to most other sports. And will also be trawling through the thread posted, thanks guys.

The general consensus is Mike Smith is out after this season right? Glad he's quit with the insane clock management in the past couple of weeks but I'm assuming nothing short of somehow winning the Super Bowl keeps him in Atlanta?

Caja 117

Thats what I think, It all falls down to the QB, and Pats have problems against these types of QB, and Wilson is the best right now when it comes to Mobile QB.

Also, Jets game should not be a messure of how good the team is, The didnt play with Elderman and Blount. I do agree that the o-line has been bad the last couple of games.

Tabris

Much like last season, Pats aren't getting past Broncos in the playoffs. They may have won the regular season contest, but Brady will choke vs a Manning like he has since 2006.

bionic77

That title will always belong to Peyton Manning
Its closer now than it was before.

There was a stretch of like 4 years where Manning got the bye every year and shat the bed in his first game at home.

Hell in 2 of those years if I recall correctly they even had a chance to go undefeated but sat everyone after they went 14-0. Definitely happened once but I feel like it happened more than that as well. Maybe they were 15-1 the 2nd time. I don't remember and don't feel like looking it up.

Will never forget that glorious look on Mannings face after the Steelers upset them. I am pretty sure that was one of the 14-0 years. And they had just fucked us up 8 weeks before. Ben on the other hand saved the day after that fat fuck Bettis tried to throw the game. Best tackle by a qb in NFL history.

eznark

Banned
Work has been tough for me this year as well. I don't have as much time during the day as I used to to post. The other part (and I'm just being honest) with the Giants being shit - it's hard to muster the interest in going over film of bad play. I can't imagine most anyone has any interest in reading about it either.

To be honest I kind of wish someone would long form their season. I don't fully understand what happened. Last year I understand since you can't win football games with a quarterback playing like that, but this year Eli has been better than solid.

Top Bottom