• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

Mrbob

I'm not terribly concerned about home field advantage, so to me it didn't matter. I don't think the Packers can beat the Seahawks in Seattle, Green Bay, the moon, your moms vagina, or in any other stadium sized facility.

#2 seed to me is the same as the #1 seed, because they need someone to beat Seattle for them. And I am not concerned about going to Arizona or Detroit.
Packers have no chance in Seattle. But according to the Bionic rule wouldn't that make GB the favorite? Fraudgers positioned for another super bowl run. Might be better to get the wild card.

eznark

Banned
I wonder if Atlanta doesn't win this week if it'll be the first time in NFL history every team in a division had a negative point differential. Pathetic.

NFC West in 2006
NFC West in 2005 was 11 points off. Interestingly the 13-3 Seahawks were only +11. Wonder if that's the lowest for a 12+ win team?
NFC West 2004

I think that's it. I'd be surprised if it ever happened in the era of three divisions per conference.

Bread

Banned
rando's still here...

so it wasn't a dream!?

telephone-happy-dance-o.gif

eznark

Banned
Packers have no chance in Seattle. But according to the Bionic rule wouldn't that make GB the favorite? Fraudgers positioned for another super bowl run. Might be better to get the wild card.

I don't think it matters if they are a WC or the #1 seed. If they play Seattle they will lose. If they don't play Seattle they will win their 14th championship. Just an impossible matchup for that roster.

They'll probably do that punk ass shit and give him and Rodgers co-MVP like they did Barry Sanders and Brett Favre in 97
This is the best fucking idea anyone has ever come up with.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
He has. It's one of the positives to take away from the season and makes it easier for the team to extend his contract and bring his cap number down significantly in 2015. Which was a big question mark coming into the season.

I may take on a season breakdown for the Giants after next week. I wanted to do a post-mortem type of thing when its all said and done anyways. There are so many factors that torpedoed this season that its hard to pinpoint one thing. What I will say is that after turning over a large portion of the offensive coaching staff last year, I'll be stunned if the same isn't done for the defensive side of the ball this off-season. The Giants defense was/is a god damned embarrassment at the moment.

The Giants defensive personnel is an embarrassment. Take away the names from the players, who would you keep on that DL at the prices required? Just Hankins IMO, MAYBE Ayers.

I like the secondary, to be honest.

ShaneB

Well Squall is kicking your butt in the SiF championship!

Cheers for the book recommendation, looks like just the kind of thing I'm after. Downloaded ready for the commute tonight! Been drawn to the game for the same kind of reasons as you, the strategic nature just seems massive compared to most other sports. And will also be trawling through the thread posted, thanks guys.

The general consensus is Mike Smith is out after this season right? Glad he's quit with the insane clock management in the past couple of weeks but I'm assuming nothing short of somehow winning the Super Bowl keeps him in Atlanta?

I'll recommend reading "Football for Dummies" as well.

I've been a sports fan all my life, but only a casual football fan until recently after deciding to get into it more seriously, so I've been learning a bit more as well about the intricate aspects of the sport, namely formations and whatnot like you've mentioned too. The strategic nature is what makes it so appealing. Picking plays against each other and seeing how it all ends up. The downtime I've often said is about reflecting, seeing the replays of why things didn't work.

Glad to have you aboard!

:jnc, so brutal.

Unrelated, I am so tired of Tannehill getting compared to Alex Smith. I know why that narrative has caught on, it's the simple fact that the Dolphins offense doesn't feature many deep passes, but it's absurd to act like Tannehill is as limited as Smith physically. Tannehill consistently throws deep comebacks and in routes on a rope, something Smith could only dream of doing. The Dolphins offense is designed around lots of quick hitting timing routes but at least they are going to WR's most of the time. Regardless, Tannehill has a very strong arm, he has just struggled with deep ball accuracy at times.

If Tannehill really was as limited as Smith I would not be okay with keeping him around. Alex Smith is one of my least favorite QB's to watch. He's efficient but his style of play is extremely limited and boring as hell.

Such a lazy comparison, drives me nuts.

Sadly I'm starting to agree with you. I like Alex Smith as a sort of security blanket QB, I certainly don't mind him in the position, but there has been little to really wow me at all. Some of it comes down to play calls and personnel and all that sure, but I'd be perfectly fine with a change at position too, which of course is easier said than done to find something stable.

bionic77

The Packers are clearly frauds but not big enough frauds to win it all this year.

I have a feeling that we might get a very garbagio champion from the AFC like the Steelers or some other shit team that gets lucky. They could beat Seattle because they have a legit elite running back. I don't think Green Bay and Detroit can do the same so their only hope is that Seattles offense plays worse than usual and they squeak out a 10-8 win. Seattle is the best team in football but I have a feeling some shit team steals it from them this year.

And Watt should be the MVP. No one is going to remember Rodgers season from this year unless he wins the SB. Watt played so far and above what his position normally does that he was able to keep a garbage team competitive. In a position that usually doesn't impact or effect many games in 2014. Rodgers could not even beat the Bills when home field was on the line. He is automatically disqualified. Rodgers was a home dog fraud who scored most of his touchdowns against the Bears. Not impressed.

MechDX

Joe Flacco, QB: -10.1

Breakdown: As rough an outing as Flacco has had all season, with the Ravens signal-caller really struggling to cope with how much pressure he was under. Too many throws missed downfield and a really poor decision on one of his three interceptions doomed him to his lowest grade of the year so far.

.J Watt, DE: +15.2

Breakdown: We expected an exciting battle between the league’s premier defensive player and the right side of the Baltimore offensive line, but in the end it was a battle won easily by Watt. Spending most of his time going up against the right tackles, he gave Ricky Wagner plenty to think about before he left the game injured. After the injury to Wagner, Watt would be up against rookie undrafted free agent James Hurst, and the result was as you would expect, with Watt finding success against him as a pass rusher throughout.

PFF Game Ball

It’s hardly surprising but once again J.J. Watt was the best player on the field. It was always going to be tough to stop him, but when he was left alone against an undrafted rookie free agent in the second half it was a disaster for the Ravens’ offense.

Kubiak with that swerve. Stay consistent Kubes!

bionic77

This is the best fucking idea anyone has ever come up with.
Unless they both wear Zubaz clothing while they accept the award I can't sign off on this and Watt should get it by himself.

These ideas are crazy at best and need something like Zubaz to make it work.

Caja 117

Other than butt fumble game and that Monday night blowout (subsequently getting their ass kicked by the Jets a month later in the playoffs) are the only games I can think of that NE hasn't either lost or struggled to beat the Jets since Rex took over as HC. I doubt either Edelman or Blount would have changed the game narrative too much had they been healthy and available.

It is concerning, but it isn't surprising.

I agree with other season, but I think this game would had been problematic for the patriot, but with the patriots scoring more points. Im taking in consideration How the play them Earlier this season.

eznark

Banned
If it has to go to one person I'd give the MVP to Rodgers. He's the most important player in football. You switch Rodgers and Watt and the Texans make the playoffs while the Packers do not. Easy.

That said, if I were a voter and thought with a brain I'd give the MVP to the Cowboys offensive line. I think you could put that line on any team in football and that team would win their division, regardless of surrounding personnel. Christ they could make Kaepernick look like he was playing the Packers every week.

Coach of the Year is Arians.
DPOY is Watt
Executive of the year is Idzik
Worst coach of the year is Hardon

Crisco

Banned
And Watt should be the MVP. No one is going to remember Rodgers season from this year unless he wins the SB. Watt played so far and above what his position normally does that he was able to keep a garbage team competitive. In a position that usually doesn't impact or effect many games in 2014. Rodgers could not even beat the Bills when home field was on the line. He is automatically disqualified. Rodgers was a home dog fraud who scored most of his touchdowns against the Bears. Not impressed.

Yeah well, then Watt should have been a QB. At the end of the day, chasing down dudes who are less athletic than you is an easier job than what Rodgers does.

Tim Twentyman ‏@ttwentyman 4m4 minutes ago
Per @EliasSports, Det. vs. GB Sun. will be 1st time since 1993 two 11+ win teams play each other in last game to determine division champ

Cowboys and Giants faced off at 11-4 for the division that year.

Sadly I'm starting to agree with you. I like Alex Smith as a sort of security blanket QB, I certainly don't mind him in the position, but there has been little to really wow me at all. Some of it comes down to play calls and personnel and all that sure, but I'd be perfectly fine with a change at position too, which of course is easier said than done to find something stable.
I will admit I was too harsh on him going into the season. He gives your team a chance to win and he has pretty good mobility and short to mid-range accuracy. But yeah, he isn't going to "wow" you ever. When you look in the football dictionary for "game manager" it should be a picture of Alex Smith because he absolutely defines it perfectly. A team can be successful with a guy like that if the defense and surrounding offensive talent is good enough but as a fan I would hate to have to deal with that stale brand of offense.

I know I sound like a huge Tannehill homer lately but it only takes a few minutes of highlights to see that he is capable of a lot more than Smith in terms of arm talent.

ShaneB

Andrew Luck has better stats than Rodgers. If by default it goes to a QB, than just give it to the one with the best stats.

Mrbob

The Packers are clearly frauds but not big enough frauds to win it all this year.

I have a feeling that we might get a very garbagio champion from the AFC like the Steelers or some other shit team that gets lucky. They could beat Seattle because they have a legit elite running back. I don't think Green Bay and Detroit can do the same so their only hope is that Seattles offense plays worse than usual and they squeak out a 10-8 win. Seattle is the best team in football but I have a feeling some shit team steals it from them this year.

This seems like the perfect opportunity for the colts to win it all with Trent truck leading the way.

The Giants defensive personnel is an embarrassment. Take away the names from the players, who would you keep on that DL at the prices required? Just Hankins IMO, MAYBE Ayers.

I like the secondary, to be honest.
I'd keep JPP. I know that won't be popular given a vast majority of his production has come in the second half of the year but if we can lock him up with a reasonable contract - I think you have to. He's one of the core players I'd build around. That's *IF* we can lock him up long term without breaking the bank. He isn't worth JJ Watt/Mario Williams money given his production.

MechDX

In Shanes defense: if we use the idea of MVP being "you remove the player from the team where would they be" then Luck is the MVP hands down. The Colts would be 2-14 at BEST without Luck

LevelNth

Banned
Worst coach of the year is Hardon
I agree with this, and it's not close.

Even considering Kap's horrible play and our numerous injuries, both are simply not significant enough (Kap is not Rodgers, don't go 5 spread when we're up by 14; and the D didn't suffer, still Top 5 in the league when it counted).

Redzone stats, 2nd half stats, 4th quarter stats, number of wasted timeouts, poor adjustments. So many different points to pick to rail on Harbaugh this year.

It's insane the different from the previous 3 years, so often we looked like a college coached team in the NFL.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
In Shanes defense: if we use the idea of MVP being "you remove the player from the team where would they be" then Luck is the MVP hands down. The Colts would be 2-14 at BEST without Luck

So you want to penalize Fraudgers because HoFlynn would lead the Packers to a dynasty?

Andrew Luck has better stats than Rodgers. If by default it goes to a QB, than just give it to the one with the best stats.
Setting aside the Luck/Rodgers comparison, it doesn't go to a QB by default, it goes to the most valuable player. It just so happens that QB is inherently a much more important position than anything else.

Everyone who supports Watt falls back on his historic year and the stats and blah blah blah. But is he more important to the W/L column than Rodgers? That is value! That's what it ultimately comes down to.

ez is right, switch Watt and Rodgers and the teams change fates. It is that simple when discussing value.

ShaneB

I will admit I was too harsh on him going into the season. He gives your team a chance to win and he has pretty good mobility and short to mid-range accuracy. But yeah, he isn't going to "wow" you ever. When you look in the football dictionary for "game manager" it should be a picture of Alex Smith because he absolutely defines it perfectly. A team can be successful with a guy like that if the defense and surrounding offensive talent is good enough but as a fan I would hate to have to deal with that stale brand of offense.

I know I sound like a huge Tannehill homer lately but it only takes a few minutes of highlights to see that he is capable of a lot more than Smith in terms of arm talent.

Yeah, I said those things at the start of the season. A chance to win is certainly something a good portion of the QBs in the league wish they could say about themselves. And yes, Tannehill has shown a lot of great stuff this season.

bionic77

This seems like the perfect opportunity for the colts to win it all with Trent truck leading the way.
Yeah this makes a lot of sense (in that it makes no sense whatsoever).

I could see the Colts defense being college worthy and suddenly developing a running game and riding Luck's hot hand to a SB making the city forget about that big headed guy who played there a few years ago.

This could be a Ravens-esque SB run.

It is a real stretch for that defense to get hot though. One of the worst I have ever seen.

Yeah well, then Watt should have been a QB. At the end of the day, chasing down dudes who are less athletic than you is an easier job than what Rodgers does.
I would argue that with all of the rules in favor of the offense it is harder to do what Watt is doing than what Rodgers is doing.

Compare Watts stats to the next nearest at his position along with his impact and then compare Rodgers to his closest peer.

Top Bottom