• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 17 |OT| - For the Division

MechDX

Question to NFL-Gaf: I want to understand why the NFL only plays 16 regular season games - of which 6 are from within your division - therefore each team in the NFL only plays 13 of a total of 31 opponents within a season. Why does the NFL (and team owners) think this is acceptable? How can you state that a team is the best in the league when they play less than half of the other teams in the league?!

I started to really get into American football this year, and i was shocked to hear than the Pats and Packers won't ever play each other again until 2018 (unless they meet in the super bowl). This is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems to me all the statistics are meaningless if you aren't playing every team in the league.

Thoughts?

Because if every team played every other team each season all players would be brain dead within a year.

Sanjuro

American football is a grueling sport, there are players who dont get out of bed until Tues afternoon from the amount of physical wear it takes.

Demarco Murray for example drinks 24 bottles of water before a game to stay hydrated. Injuries are alread a problem and hurt the league, adding more games would water down the league even worse then it is come mid-season.

Murray is brought to you by Dasani though.

Question to NFL-Gaf: I want to understand why the NFL only plays 16 regular season games - of which 6 are from within your division - therefore each team in the NFL only plays 13 of a total of 31 opponents within a season. Why does the NFL (and team owners) think this is acceptable? How can you state that a team is the best in the league when they play less than half of the other teams in the league?!

I started to really get into American football this year, and i was shocked to hear than the Pats and Packers won't ever play each other again until 2018 (unless they meet in the super bowl). This is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems to me all the statistics are meaningless if you aren't playing every team in the league.

Thoughts?

You'd have entire teams on IR before they hit 31 games.

Barry was my favorite non-Packer player growing up. God should forever condemn the Detroit Lions to a future devoid of success for driving him out of football. It takes a considerably evil organization to break a man's will.

After Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks went down in the span of less than 2 years, Barry was my favorite offensive player in the league, period, until he retired.

It helped that he always struggled against the Packers. And that he was a highlight film every play.

Greg

if you're the best, you'll beat whoever when you need it

and it's not like it matters because anything can happen on Sunday, and that's why we watch!

MechDX

In all seriousness: history. You had the NFL which then got a rival in the AFL. They decided that they needed a game to highlight the best from each league. Hence the Superbowl

Then the two leagues merged basically forming the AFC and NFC.

And the players would all be on IR or braindead

Greg

In all seriousness: history. You had the NFL which then got a rival in the AFL. They decided that they needed a game to highlight the best from each league. Hence the Superbowl

Then the two leagues merged basically forming the AFC and NFC.

And the players would all be on IR or braindead
except JJ

he'd be sackin' corpses and catching passes thrown to himself

Quotient

NHL a few years ago didn't have cross-conference play. MLB used to, before Bud Selig ruined it.

Regular season records mean nothing. Whole point is you advance, and play the best team in the opposing conference. That has always been the point, but deluded due to exposure.

In my mind the playoffs would make sense if you only played every team within your conference. You could then state the teams in the AFC playoffs are the best teams within the AFC.

American football is a grueling sport, there are players who dont get out of bed until Tues afternoon from the amount of physical wear it takes.

Demarco Murray for example drinks 24 bottles of water before a game to stay hydrated. Injuries are alread a problem and hurt the league, adding more games would water down the league even worse then it is come mid-season.

Because if every team played every other team each season all players would be brain dead within a year.

You'd have entire teams on IR before they hit 31 games.

Physicality of the sport is an argument. Has the league considered modify the season so you atleast play every team within your conference, perhaps decrease the number of games you play against your division rivals to only one.

Cheers for the response by the way. I've only been living in the states for 4 years so American football is very new to me.

EDIT: You could counter the injuries by increasing the roster size so teams could compensate for injuries, perhaps provide a mid-semester break of a few weeks. Has their been talk of increasing say to 20 games a year - perhaps folding the preseason into the regular season?

Thoughts?
Not meaningless, but yes, unbalanced scheduling is inherently unfair -- both from a stats perspective and an overall wins/losses perspective. In a perfectly fair world, every team plays every other team, and there are no playoffs required. However:

1) even balanced scheduling is pretty unfair in the NFL, considering the inevitability of injuries. Even if all teams played 31 games, some would lose their star players in game 15, and the lucky teams that faced them during the back half of the schedule would benefit. This already happens even with 16 games -- see Seattle playing Arizona for the division last week against the Cardinals 50th backup QB of the year.

2) gridiron football is a brutal game. Players are already at the upper limit for how much punishment their bodes can take over a 16 game season. More is insanity. (in Goodell's case, greed for an 18 game season...)

3) having playoffs is more fun anyway.

Quotient

Not meaningless, but yes, unbalanced scheduling is inherently unfair -- both from a stats perspective and an overall wins/losses perspective. In a perfectly fair world, every team plays every other team, and there are no playoffs required. However:

1) even balanced scheduling is pretty unfair in the NFL, considering the inevitability of injuries. Even if all teams played 31 games, some would lose their star players in game 15, and the lucky teams that faced them during the back half of the schedule would benefit. This already happens even with 16 games -- see Seattle playing Arizona for the division last week against the Cardinals 50th backup QB of the year.

2) gridiron football is a brutal game. Players are already at the upper limit for how much punishment their bodes can take over a 16 game season. More is insanity. (in Goodell's case, greed for an 18 game season...)

3) having playoffs is more fun anyway.

You make a great point with Arizona. I have noticed that finding capable replacements for positions like QB is an extraordinary difficult task in American Football in comparison to many other sports.

Thanks for the response.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It made more sense before inter conference games when both conferences were considered their own leagues, the playoffs the champions league, and the super bowl the championship game.

In my mind the playoffs would make sense if you only played every team within your conference. You could then state the teams in the AFC playoffs are the best teams within the AFC.

Physicality of the sport is an argument. Has the league considered modify the season so you atleast play every team within your conference, perhaps decrease the number of games you play against your division rivals to only one.

Cheers for the response by the way. I've only been living in the states for 4 years so American football is very new to me.

EDIT: You could counter the injuries by increasing the roster size so teams could compensate for injuries, perhaps provide a mid-semester break of a few weeks. Has their been talk of increasing say to 20 games a year - perhaps folding the preseason into the regular season?

It's still insane.... the football career is really short compared to a basketball and baseball and I think the schedule is perfectly fine.

A) It's 6 games within your division.
B) It's 4 games against a division within the same conference.
C) it's 4 games against a division within the other conference.
D) it's 1 game against a team within the same conference from another division that finish the same spot within their division as you did in yours from the previous year. For Example NFC West #1 vs NFC North #1 from last year.
E) Same thing as E but from the last division. Ex: NFC West #1 vs NFC South #1 (implying B was NFC East).

You make a great point with Arizona. I have noticed that finding capable replacements for positions like QB is an extraordinary difficult task in American Football in comparison to many other sports.

Thanks for the response.

Not just QBs, look at teams like the Raiders, Titans, Jags, massive lack of talent on those teams. There just aren't enough good players to go around. Increasing roster size would delude the play on the field.

I think it's also fair to note that the NFL has iterated quite a bit on their scheduling rules as they've expanded. Essentially, the "problem" from a pure game theory perspective is that there are too many teams and too few games. They've done a few things that we now take for granted:

1) play your division rivals twice, every year. Home/away. No doubts who the best team in the division is most of the time.
2) added the "wild card" playoff spots, which make an attempt to account for unfairness where one division has a disproportionate amount of good teams.
3) scheduling that attempts to maintain balance by forcing the division champs in the same conference to play each other the following year
4) round robin-ing everything else, to make sure the league stays as a cohesive entity. Every team plays every other team within a 4 year span.

I do think there's a case to be made that the NFL split the divisions too thin when the New Browns/Texans joined. Going from 3 division winners with 3 wild cards to 4 with 2 wild cards is ultimately what's getting us these 7 win division champs.

(the problem is, you can't split "32" very many ways.)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Just make teams play every other week. 32 weeks of Football with 8 games every Sunday. Add in Byes and the playoffs and we've got the NFL Year Round!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
And then the reg season is pointless like every other sport. No thanks.
It was a joke. The 16 game schedule is pretty much as good as it's gonna get. I think the only thing I'd like to see different is 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs. But really, even then I can't complain because top two seeds having a first week bye is a fantastic incentive to have a great regular season.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Fuck you kas

barry-sanders-o.gif

Forever fuck your team for making this man quit football.

jRoQ4z6.jpg

It was probably for the best. The guy had a couple more seasons in him but the franchise was going no where, and Matt Millen would be hired two years later.

I remember the Bucs vs. Lions playoff game in 1997 only to lose in the wildcard.

It was a joke. The 16 game schedule is pretty much as good as it's gonna get. I think the only thing I'd like to see different is 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs. But really, even then I can't complain because top two seeds having a first week bye is a fantastic incentive to have a great regular season.

With 8 teams no one gets a bye.

I think 7 teams is best. Only #1 gets a bye and the other 6 duke it out. Leaving 3.. and then you have 4.

8 teams also means 16 teams in the playoffs which means 50% of the league make the playoffs.

With 8 teams no one gets a bye.

I think 7 teams is best. Only #1 gets a bye and the other 6 duke it out. Leaving 3.. and then you have 4.

8 teams also means 16 teams in the playoffs which means 50% of the league make the playoffs.
I think 7 teams in the playoffs (14 total) would be a mistake.

Would sooner jettison the 7 win division champ.

cajunator

Banned

Thoughts?

The cream always rises to the top and the shit sinks to the bottom regardless of who plays who. It has a way of sorting itself out.
I do agree it gives some teams a pretty easy road to the playoffs if a division is continuously mediocre.

watershed

Banned
I like the nfl season as it is now. More games is just begging for more injuries, more tired players, and lower quality play. Right now there are enough games for teams to rise and fall and course correct along the way. I like the amount of in-division games everyone plays and the way the final quarter of the season is stacked. The playoffs are solid too especially with so many top teams still competing for a 1st round bye.

I'm sure if you gave players a choice between how the schedule is now and 1 week between the NFC/AFC Championship game and Super Bowl but a second bye, 99% of the players would take the second bye.

I usually don't buy division champion apparel since it's not nearly as impressive as, say, Super Bowl Champions, but I might make an exception since I have some free time on Monday. After the playoffs I'll put it away so I won't be the only one wearing that tired stuff while every other Packer fan is wearing Super Bowl XLIX Champions attire.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The season is fine as it is. Any longer and it'd start to wear out its welcome. Baseball would almost be watchable if it was 40-50 games a season, too.

The NFL needs a real minor league division (no, the NFC South doesn't count) though. Put it during the offseason and groom talent for the big boy league and it'd be pretty cool.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't agree with that. Hightower has been excellent all season, better pass rushing and against the run than Collins; the only advantage Collins has is his athleticism which makes him better in pass coverage. Hightower is the #1 inside linebacker according to Pro Football Focus, with positive grades in coverage, rush, and against the run.
That 'only' advantage Collins has makes him a far more versatile player. He has far more tackles than Hightower, more tackles for a loss, 3 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions and a blocked kick. The guy is all over the fucking place, making big plays.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
How the hell is Stafford an alternate? Stupid Pro Bowl.

Because:

1.) Stafford is an elite Pro Bowl QB

2.) Because Eli Manning robbed Stafford of his 2011 Pro Bowl Selection when Stafford fucked around and dropped 5,000 yards, 41 TDs and led the Lions to the playoffs.

3.) Because the Lions are in the playoffs again due to Staffords leadership and clutch throws.

2014-10-1912_54_32.gif

TateTD.gif

Restore the Roar 2014.

MRSA

Banned
Fatford will make it into the Pro Bowl because he's going to be an alternative for whoever goes to the Super Bowl.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
That's not funny.

Don't you dare try to insinuate or encourage injuries on our franchise QB, Matthew Stafford. Stafford has a strong jaw which can take an impact to the head, but that hit is no joke.

I don't care if I have to go to Albania or Cambodia I will find you. Good Luck.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
stafford-sack-lions-q3-545.gif

Come at me kas, knowing you, you probably can't even walk outside your door fatty.

Listen, if you post gifs trying to insinuate or hope for an injury to Matthew Stafford you have something else coming for you.

And even in this garbage gif Stafford takes the sack like the fucking mans man he is. He took that sack from the sorry ass Packers and we still won.

. “Let me just tell you something: He’s a man’s man. He’s a tough guy. He gets hit out there every single ballgame, he hangs in there, and there may be one he’d like to have back, but then there’s a couple others, or one other that’s probably not all his fault.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ppreciation-for-matthew-stafford-around-here/

When the fuck has a garbage Bucs QB ever had the balls of steel that Matthew Stafford has?

11-4
Playoffs

lollions.gif

Top Bottom