• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
So, is New Orleans' defense really that bad or is Atlanta's offense really that good?

probably a mix of both.
Saints didnt really let any impact players go, just aging vets who didnt really have much left, and they upgraded at safety and got younger at corner and signed some guys who played lights out last year. I think part of it is scheme. Rob Ryan tried something new in that game and it was a miserable failure. also the Dline wasnt getting the pass rush like they did last year despite the same guys being on the field. SO theres some work to be done but its not for lack of talent.
Not to mention the Falcons also gave up a shit ton of yards so both defenses were garbage-tier in that game.

Striker

Man, I don't know what happened to him. He just seemed to be cooked over night.
The offense has bigger problems in no depth across the OL, no big playmaking TE (look at other playoff teams, sans GB [who had one], and they all have one), no downfield threats to take focus off Cruz. It's a big mess and it's only Reese's fault.

Bowser

Same. We struggled with the Giants' big TE Donnell, Benjamin will be far harder to handle. Carolina has a good defense, Cam will be back, away game...we won't get away with bad penalties against this team.

Carolina fans, how does your defense compare to last year? And outside of Benjamin and Olsen how are your receivers/TEs?

Honestly, I would say the defense is on par with last year. The secondary was average last year, and it's average this year. Cason's best year came when Rivera and Wilks were the DC and DB coach, respectively, in San Diego, and he looks pretty good so far. Melvin White acquitted himself extremely well as a rookie UDFA last year and he's got another year under his belt. I think people thinking the defense was going to regress was severely overblown. We had spare parts in the secondary last year. While Mike Mitchell was solid in run support, he wasn't great in coverage, and the front 7 got him $25m from the Steelers. Harper is basically an older version of Mitchell.

As for the WRs/TEs, I'd argue we're better off there than we were last year. KB looks like a stud, Olsen was our leading receiver yardage-wise last year anyway, and I'm glad to have traded the stone hands of LaFell (especially for the price he commanded) for the sure hands of Cotch. The only regret I think the Panthers have with regards to their WRs was being too cap strapped to be able to retain Ginn. He was a great returner and kept defenses honest with the occasional deep ball. Seems like he's buried as the #4/5 WR in Arizona, so I hope he enjoys the cash and weather.

Maryland Terrapins Will Wear Bold Star Spangled Banner Uniforms

Ray+Lewis+hand+on+heart+in+game.jpg

Edit: Ravens Arthur Brown is on the trade block. Anybody need a second round linebacker who failed to impress last year?

eznark

Banned
Who is excited to see which two year old Android features Apple has invented for the new iphone this year?!

Woooooooooooooooo marketing!

lol at still having to pay a fine for under a ounce. i guess its a step in the right direction.

It's still illegal, just not criminal. The fine needs to stand for a few reasons, as far as I am concerned. Until it's legalized by the state it can't be properly taxed or regulated. Because of the lack of regulation it's still being sold by drug dealers who don't exactly have a friendly reputation. All of that shit has added costs on society that need to be offset somehow until the state/country get their act together and do what needs to be done.

Firstly, nice editing. Guessing they were high when they wrote that article.

Secondly, Mayor Nutter.

That Nutter is a Wharton grad. He's also the president of the US Council of Mayors.

Who is excited to see which two year old Android features Apple has invented for the new iphone this year?!

Woooooooooooooooo marketing!
My first smartphone was a Droid Incredible. I liked it well enough but when it was time to upgrade I went with an iPhone 5 just to see what the other side was like. It's been a decent two years but honestly I'm thinking I might go back to Android this time around. Apple will have to show something pretty special for me to stick around.

I'd probably be happy with either, it's just a phone.

Washington RT: "Oh shit! 'Oh shit! Oh Shit!'

Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't think he did a terrible job blocking him. He tried moved him to the outside/around the QB. RGIII has to sense that pressure a bit better and move up in the pocket. The interior of the line blocked up the middle nicely.

MechDX

Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't think he did a terrible job blocking him. He tried moved him to the outside/around the QB. RGIII has to sense that pressure a bit better and move up in the pocket. The interior of the line blocked up the middle nicely.

Don't ruin my buzz dammit!

Cant find a gif of the play where Watt basically picks up the RG and throws him at RG3

My first smartphone was a Droid Incredible. I liked it well enough but when it was time to upgrade I went with an iPhone 5 just to see what the other side was like. It's been a decent two years but honestly I'm thinking I might go back to Android this time around. Apple will have to show something pretty special for me to stick around.

I'd probably be happy with either, it's just a phone.
At this point, all phones are basically the same.

Yeah. Not a bad outside rush for a DT, though!

I am spoiled by Wake. Dude gets off the line like an olympic sprinter.

BigAT

The Onion always cuts through the bullshit.

They had a good headline as well yesterday.

"Ravens Lauded For Brave Decision To Cut Ray Rice 4 Months Too Late"

I meant punishments in general. I was mainly responding to the assertion that we as fans should have seen this coming because it's a pattern of not punishing players. Don't agree with that. We were all in shock when he got only 2 games.

The new domestic abuse policy seems strict enough no?

I don't know, Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald both played Sunday.

lulz are you just going to pick whoever's playing the Hawks for the rest of the season!!
No I'm not!

You're goddamn right!

But seriously I'm just taking it for the upset special. I actually thought GB had a reasonable chance at winning last week but then their butter defense reared its ugly head.

Crisco

Banned
Same. We struggled with the Giants' big TE Donnell, Benjamin will be far harder to handle. Carolina has a good defense, Cam will be back, away game...we won't get away with bad penalties against this team.

Carolina fans, how does your defense compare to last year? And outside of Benjamin and Olsen how are your receivers/TEs?

I'm tempted to write a post gushing about how good we looked across the board on Sunday, or how I expect us to dominate the Lions, but then I remind myself we played the Bucs. The one thing I will say is that we showed basically nothing offensively, that was a preseason-esque gameplan. I can't wait to see Cam behind the surprisingly effective line play and running game we saw on Sunday.

cdyhybrid

Go Hawks

PIT @ BAL
MIA @ BUF
JAX @ WAS
DAL @ TEN
AZ @ NYG
NE @ MIN
NO @ CLE
ATL @ CIN
DET @ CAR
STL @ TB
SEA @ SD
HOU @ OAK
NYJ @ GB
KC @ DEN
CHI @ SF
PHI @ IND

They had a good headline as well yesterday.

"Ravens Lauded For Brave Decision To Cut Ray Rice 4 Months Too Late"

I don't know, Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald both played Sunday.

Hardy is appealing and Ray still hasnt even been charged yet. Their teams could make them inactive but there isnt any thing the league can do yet. They dont want to suspend Hardy only to have him win his appeal. I am surprised the 9ers havent done anything about Macdonald yet seeing as how best Hards said all that shit about no one who is violent towards a woman can play for him. I guess all the offseason losses on defense made him rethink that.

PIT @ BAL
MIA @ BUF
JAX @ WAS
DAL @ TEN
AZ @ NYG
NE @ MIN
NO @ CLE
ATL @ CIN
DET @ CAR
STL @ TB
SEA @ SD
HOU @ OAK
NYJ @ GB
KC @ DEN
CHI @ SF
PHI @ IND

Bread

Banned
Sorry it took me 3 hours to post here, I've been marathon jerking it to the OP.

JIMMY G UNLEASH THE DICK!

Doomsayer

Hardy is appealing and Ray still hasnt even been charged yet. Their teams could make them inactive but there isnt any thing the league can do yet. They dont want to suspend Hardy only to have him win his appeal. I am surprised the 9ers havent done anything about Macdonald yet seeing as how best Hards said all that shit about no one who is violent towards a woman can play for him. I guess all the offseason losses on defense made him rethink that.

I doubt that's the case. As always, we wait for the legal process to play out. If he get's charged he's cut. It's that simple.

PIT @ BAL
MIA @ BUF
JAX @ WAS
DAL @ TEN
AZ @ NYG
NE @ MIN
NO @ CLE
ATL @ CIN
DET @ CAR
STL @ TB
SEA @ SD
HOU @ OAK
NYJ @ GB
KC @ DEN
CHI @ SF
PHI @ IND

Doomsayer

Actually, funny you guys bring that up Matt Barrows just wrote an article about the matter.

Some quotes from Jed York in there.

“I would rather have someone criticize me for doing that than punishing someone who is innocent,” York said.

One week after his arrest, McDonald started at his usual spot at defensive end and played more snaps, 60, than any other 49ers lineman against the Cowboys. The decision to play McDonald was criticized in the media, including from two of the franchise’s most respected alumni, Ronnie Lott and Steve Young.

York repeated the “due process” sentiment several times, including when asked about Ray Rice’s indefinite suspension for striking his wife in an Atlantic City elevator.

"Each case is its own separate case,” York said. “Ray McDonald is not Ray Rice.”

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/09/6691954/jed-york-no-punishment-for-ray.html

stafford.gif

Stevie Brown just looks at the QB and runs right into DRC instead of picking up the coverage. DRC is in pretty good coverage up to that point. Even if Stevie had maintained coverage you're looking a a one one situation here that Megatron can win but at least its a contested ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom