• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

eznark

Banned
I didn't bring up Cam because I wanted you to know I was sincere! Thanks for the answer.

The Bears should be a fun game. Cam will have all day but Cutler is better against a good front and bad secondary than the reverse, so he should play well as well. Cincinnati is just a much better Pittsburgh at this point so...good luck there. Green Bay is a crap shoot. If your front is still poor you will get destroyed.

So what did you guys think of Tannehill's performance yesterday? Looked to me like he was playing a lot more comfortably and loose. We finally saw him run a few times and make some nice passes outside of the pocket. Coming to grips with the new offense or "because Raiders"?

For real? I've never played a PES but I know it was supposedly the best in the PS2 days.
He was causally throwing the ball downfield and to intermediate routes. Like he had a revelation.

Bowser

Chances Shula gets fired this season?

Over/Under: 65%

I don't understand how this man keeps getting prominent jobs. He's about as vanilla and unimaginative as you can get as a playcaller. I really do think the only reason we didn't hire Hue Jackson as OC even though we interviewed him is because Rivera was afraid if he had a shitty start to last season, he would have been canned because Jackson could be installed as interim coach. Richardson sure as hell wasn't going to install Shula as interim coach.

eznark

Banned
I don't understand how this man keeps getting prominent jobs. He's about as vanilla and unimaginative as you can get as a playcaller. I really do think the only reason we didn't hire Hue Jackson as OC even though we interviewed him is because Rivera was afraid if he had a shitty start to last season, he would have been canned because Jackson could be installed as interim coach.

You guys hated Chud, one of the more creative guys in the entire league, and you hate Shula.

Who do you want?

Dumbass mods in this dump should forget about being the PC police and start cracking down on the really insulting stuff people say, like demanding coaches be fired without stating who should replace them.

So you're telling me that Geno dropping the f bomb trumps Jeter's final game as front page material on the New York Post. That news paper has absolutely no class and should be ashamed of themselves.

jbug617

Banned
Grabbing that and Horizon 2 on Tuesday :)

Try and grab it from Target. Your suppose to get 30% off another XB1 game when you buy Forza Horizon 2

So you're telling me that Geno dropping the f bomb trumps Jeter's final game as front page material on the New York Post. That news paper has absolutely no class and should be ashamed of themselves.

Did you see what they did to Clinton?

BynoTeXIYAEl_js.jpg

Bowser

You guys hated Chud, one of the more creative guys in the entire league, and you hate Shula.

Who do you want?

Dumbass mods in this dump should forget about being the PC police and start cracking down on the really insulting stuff people say, like demanding coaches be fired without stating who should replace them.

Someone in between the two! Like I said, I would have loved Hue Jackson in Carolina. We also tried to hire Norv Turner as OC after Chud got the Browns gig, but Chud somehow lured him to CLE. Either of those two would be a massive improvement over Shula.

I hate having guys who lean to the extremes one way or the other. Shula was a huge overcorrection from Chud. He wants to play football like it's the 1980s and acts like we have the 85 Bears defense to lean on.

Since Shula was installed as OC, the Panthers are 0-5 when the defense gives up 21 or more points. Basically, we are dead in the water if the defense can't hold a team to less than 3 TDs. That's terrible.

Who do you want?

I'd take Chudzinski back in a heartbeat. If he's learned that Cam Newton is not a running back and shouldn't be running the ball on every play.

I guess making our QB a human wrecking ball is still better than Shula though.

eznark

Banned
Someone in between the two! Like I said, I would have loved Hue Jackson in Carolina. We also tried to hire Norv Turner as OC after Chud got the Browns gig, but Chud somehow lured him to CLE. Either of those two would be a massive improvement over Shula.

I hate having guys who lean to the extremes one way or the other. Shula was a huge overcorrection from Chud. He wants to play football like it's the 1980s and acts like we have the 85 Bears defense to lean on.

When you guys go 4-12 and fire Ron you should hire Bevell. He'd be pretty amazing for Cam and then I would instantly become a Cam die hard.

Bowser

When you guys go 4-12 and fire Ron you should hire Bevell. He'd be pretty amazing for Cam and then I would instantly become a Cam die hard.

Another name that I wouldn't mind at OC is an in-house option - John Ramsdell. Hired this past offseason, I think he's a good fallback option if Ron grows a pair and axes Shula:

Panthers hire John Ramsdell as offensive assistant

The Panthers have hired longtime NFL assistant coach John Ramsdell to serve as a senior offensive assistant.

Ramsdell fills the vacancy created when former offensive quality control coach Lance Taylor left to take a position at Stanford.

Ramsdell, 59, worked with Philip Rivers as San Diego's quarterbacks coach from 2006-2012 when Panthers coach Ron Rivera was a Chargers assistant.

Ramsdell spent 11 years in St. Louis in a variety of offensive roles from 1995-2005 -- a stretch that included the Ram's Super Bowl season of 1999 with an offense dubbed the 'Greatest Show on Turf.'

Crisco

Banned
We actually already hired Shula's replacement, John Ramsdell, during the off-season. He's never been coordinator but has been involved in a lot of elite passing offenses. We could hand him the keys at any time.

eznark

Banned
^ the Bears couldn't run it with Cutler (a much better pure passer than Newton) yet you want to run wide open with Cam and one wide out? OK!

We are all Chiefs fans today!

ne-kc-tom-brady.jpg

dionysus

Yaldog
First game I got to see of the Saints. They look like a sub-500 team in a bad division. I see them dropping a few home games too.

Our offense made Dallas D look good, that is a problem.

Well, it's not like this level of performance is unusual. Kind of reminds me of how I felt during a Haslett season. High expectations in the preseason quickly giving way to mediocrity on the field.

Re-evaluating after the first four weeks of the season, the games against Chicago, New Orleans (at home on a short week for NO), and @ PHI don't look QUITE as bad as they did before the season. @ CIN, @ GB, and SEA is a 3-game losing streak for sure though.

How does Philly look less bad now then before the season? They are 1 yard away from being 4-0 with no OL at all. They will start getting some of those guys back this week with Lane coming back. The run game will improve and Nick will go back to having all day to find the wide open guys. If anything their defense looked actually good at times yesterday, I am still really pissed about how they lost but overall I feel much better about them now then I did in the pre-season. I thought 2-2 at this point was the best case.

About yesterday I think the biggest reason they lost was because Chip ran the clock down to the 2 minute warning at the end. After Shady broke that 7 yard run down to the 1 yard line, they should have ran up like they were going to run a play. 9ers had no timeouts and either they could have caught them being confused and gotten an easy TD, or they would have forced the 9ers to defend the goal line with their base defense. Eagles could have lined up but not snapped the ball until there was 2 seconds left before the 2 minute warning so that the play still would have made the 2 minute warning happen.

I don't care what anyone says, the parity in this league is real. There are a handful of teams at the top and bottom for sure but the majority fall into a big pool of near randomness. It makes a lot of teams in this league look bipolar. Look at the Steelers, Panthers, Falcons, Packers, Dolphins, Niners, Giants, etc. Which version of those teams is going to show up in a given week? Hell if I know! It's fun to watch.

bionic77

We are all Patriots
How the fuck do you post this much in Florida?

The internet was complete garbage there.

Amelia island was nice but I stand by my opinion that the rest of the state is a 3rd world country (and to be honest that is not fair and is kind of an insult to Haiti and other 3rd world countries who don't want to be compared to Florida). I think Detroit might actually be an improvement for you (aside from the weather).

Also fuck our coaches. We consistently throw 2 games away a year from mental mistakes and penalties. Isn't that what coaches are supposed to correct? Cmon Tomlin! This shit never happened with Cowher! Glad I didn't see much football yesterday.

Hopefully Tammy continues to suck tonight. That will at least be one positive.

Also, fuck Fantasy Football. I am not bad at it (at least in my league), but this shit is an abomination!

bionic77

^ the Bears couldn't run it with Cutler (a much better pure passer than Newton) yet you want to run wide open with Cam and one wide out? OK!

We are all Chiefs fans today!

ne-kc-tom-brady.jpg
Amen brother!

Beautiful picture. I should have that framed in my office...

eznark

Banned
It's 10 am! I already ran 10 miles and read the paper. This is why you are a failure living in your moms basement. Probably also why you are only 5'4''

How does Philly look less bad now then before the season? They are 1 yard away from being 4-0 with no OL at all. They will start getting some of those guys back this week with Lane coming back. The run game will improve and Nick will go back to having all day to find the wide open guys. If anything their defense looked actually good at times yesterday, I am still really pissed about how they lost but overall I feel much better about them now then I did in the pre-season. I thought 2-2 at this point was the best case.

About yesterday I think the biggest reason they lost was because Chip ran the clock down to the 2 minute warning at the end. After Shady broke that 7 yard run down to the 1 yard line, they should have ran up like they were going to run a play. 9ers had no timeouts and either they could have caught them being confused and gotten an easy TD, or they would have forced the 9ers to defend the goal line with their base defense. Eagles could have lined up but not snapped the ball until there was 2 seconds left before the 2 minute warning so that the play still would have made the 2 minute warning happen.

Gifting the 49ers that chip shot field goal didn't help either.

Since Eagles fans were crowing about an accomplishment that Foles almost had, here is one a great quarterback actually did reach yesterday: Aaron Rodgers threw for 25,000 yards in his 98th game. Only Dan Marino (92), Peyton Manning (97) and Kurt Warner (97) achieved that landmark in fewer games.

I don't give a rip about the stats, but since we were handing out participation medals last week this deserved recognition as an actual achievement.

Bowser

True, you are 1 yard away from being 4-0. You are also a few key plays away from being 1-3 (0-4 if Jacksonville wasn't a CFL team). That's why I don't think it looks as bad as it did at the beginning of the season. I thought Philly would be a contender for a top playoff spot and a bye coming into the season. I think so far it's been proven that while the Eagles can beat anyone, they can also lose to anyone. Foles hasn't looked that great, your run game looks atrocious (yeah you have O-line injuries, but you still have Shady and Sproles), and the defense isn't anything to write home about either. I still give y'all the edge as the game is in Philly and Chip Kelly is 1000x better as a playcaller than Shula, but I definitely think we can beat y'all, especially if the defense can fix some of its issues.

gutshot

Eagles game thoughts...

The Good

- Special teams: Dave Fipp has done an outstanding job with this unit. Four games into the season and they already have a blocked FG, blocked punt for a TD, kick return TD and punt return TD. Plus they've been super solid in coverage. Without their contributions yesterday, the Eagles have no chance to win that game there at the end.

- Pass rush: Finally, an actual pass rush! Not sure how much of it was San Fran's O-line struggling, but the consistent pressure they were able to get on Kaep was encouraging. 4 sacks and had they played a less mobile QB, they probably would have had 2 or 3 more.

The Bad

- Nick Foles: Another subpar outing from Foles. Yes, he got no help from the run game and was under a lot of pressure. Still way too many missed passes and some poor decisions. With the run game struggling Foles needs to be near perfect for this offense to function and he wasn't even close to that yesterday. Despite all that, he led the Eagles down the field late in the game and was within 2 yards of stealing another win.

- Riley Cooper: God, does this guy suck. I was lukewarm on his resigning this offseason (I wanted them to get Eric Decker instead) and, sure enough, bringing him back is looking like a huge mistake. He is just not an impact player. Add to that his numerous drops this season and he has to be the worst no. 2 receiver in the league.

The Ugly

- Offensive line: I figured the offensive line play wouldn't be pretty, but didn't think it would be this bad. I had hoped that with a week of practice, Stoutland would have been able to coach up the replacement guys. I figured between that and some creative game planning from Chip would have been enough to keep the offense running. Instead, it was a trainwreck. Lane Johnson coming back next week should help a bit, but we really, really need Mathis and Kelce to get healthy in a hurry.

Overall, I'm not too upset over the loss yesterday. Having to travel cross-country and play a desperate Niners team with a patchwork offensive line didn't give me much confidence in getting a W. It was kind of a bummer that they had a chance to steal another win and they couldn't do it. But you knew eventually they were going to come up a little short with all these comeback attempts. The good thing is we've got 2 winnable games coming up at home, so we have a very real chance at going into the bye at 5-1. I think any fan would have taken that going into the season.

manfestival

Eagles game thoughts...

The Good

- Special teams: Dave Fipp has done an outstanding job with this unit. Four games into the season and they already have a blocked FG, blocked punt for a TD, kick return TD and punt return TD. Plus they've been super solid in coverage. Without their contributions yesterday, the Eagles have no chance to win that game there at the end.

- Pass rush: Finally, an actual pass rush! Not sure how much of it was San Fran's O-line struggling, but the consistent pressure they were able to get on Kaep was encouraging. 4 sacks and had they played a less mobile QB, they probably would have had 2 or 3 more.

The Bad

- Nick Foles: Another subpar outing from Foles. Yes, he got no help from the run game and was under a lot of pressure. Still way too many missed passes and some poor decisions. With the run game struggling Foles needs to be near perfect for this offense to function and he wasn't even close to that yesterday. Despite all that, he led the Eagles down the field late in the game and was within 2 yards of stealing another win.

- Riley Cooper: God, does this guy suck. I was lukewarm on his resigning this offseason (I wanted them to get Eric Decker instead) and, sure enough, bringing him back is looking like a huge mistake. He is just not an impact player. Add to that his numerous drops this season and he has to be the worst no. 2 receiver in the league.

The Ugly

- Offensive line: I figured the offensive line play wouldn't be pretty, but didn't think it would be this bad. I had hoped that with a week of practice, Stoutland would have been able to coach up the replacement guys. I figured between that and some creative game planning from Chip would have been enough to keep the offense running. Instead, it was a trainwreck. Lane Johnson coming back next week should help a bit, but we really, really need Mathis and Kelce to get healthy in a hurry.

Overall, I'm not too upset over the loss yesterday. Having to travel cross-country and play a desperate Niners team with a patchwork offensive line didn't give me much confidence in getting a W. It was kind of a bummer that they had a chance to steal another win and they couldn't do it. But you knew eventually they were going to come up a little short with all these comeback attempts. The good thing is we've got 2 winnable games coming up at home, so we have a very real chance at going into the bye at 5-1. I think any fan would have taken that going into the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sean-mccoy-embarrassed-by-eagles-running-game

Those words are a bit much considering the team managed ok despite not getting any production on the ground.

I'm definitely a fan of Golden Tate. Was a fan back when he was in Seattle but now that I get to see him more as a Lion he's just seem to a great fit for this offense. He stepped up big seeing as how Johnson wasn't himself due to his ankle injury.

ShaneB

yes and you arleady get the best two teams that couldnt win their division via wildcard, now you're going to add another? You're starting to scrap into 8-8 7-9 teams, potentially.

You're not looking at the big picture. Imagine a complete overhaul of the formats, Just say the top 14 teams in the league make the playoffs. You can justify the fact knowing there are 14 good teams in the league. Or I should say.. 14 teams that feel like they can win on Any Given Sunday.

Right now with the division format as it is, you're really only fighting with 3 other teams for a playoff spot. That's all that matters to most teams.

But it's a pie in the sky to think about the "what ifs", I just like to think of different scenarios. I am fine with just being 12 teams in the playoffs as it is, it does create that mystique of getting in, but adding two teams is fine and dandy to me too.

I don't care what anyone says, the parity in this league is real. There are a handful of teams at the top and bottom for sure but the majority fall into a big pool of near randomness. It makes a lot of teams in this league look bipolar. Look at the Steelers, Panthers, Falcons, Packers, Dolphins, Niners, Giants, etc. Which version of those teams is going to show up in a given week? Hell if I know! It's fun to watch.

Yup, it's great so far. Everything feels completely bizarre right now, everything is extremely level week to week. Every team seems like it can win and lose every week.

Also, fuck Fantasy Football. I am not bad at it (at least in my league), but this shit is an abomination!

2-2 in Stafford is Fat.... meh... BUT... unless Alex Smith throws a stinker tonight, I'll be 4-0 in Stragglers!

gutshot

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sean-mccoy-embarrassed-by-eagles-running-game

Those words are a bit much considering the team managed ok despite not getting any production on the ground.

McCoy is used to performing at a high level so it's understandable he would be frustrated right now. And the truth is his struggles are not all on the offensive line. Sproles is averaging 6.7 yards per carry behind the same line. And has looked the much better back overall.

eznark

Banned
I don't want to steal Greg's thunder but apparently he has yet to wake up, which is unfortunate because today is National Coffee Day.

Enjoy, fuckers. I recommend an aeropress or the Toddy Cold Brew system.

RELAYER

Banned
My $20 Mr. Coffee broke last weekend.

I put Folgers in that thing and manually poor boiling water over the grounds. Takes me about 30 minutes to make a pot.
Then I turn on the stove and put the pot on a burner on low.

#lonewolf #ghetto #falconsfan

bionic77

I don't want to steal Greg's thunder but apparently he has yet to wake up, which is unfortunate because today is National Coffee Day.

Enjoy, fuckers. I recommend an aeropress or the Toddy Cold Brew system.
Holy shit.

You post like 40 times a day.

You must be doing something right in your life that you have a job that lets you sit at home all day without your pants on and troll people online about sports.

bionic77

So what's Foles' excuse for playing like shit yesterday? He's not old and it's Chip Kelly.

195 yards on 43 passes, that's Bradyesque...
Foles and Cooper just may not be that good.

Eagles fans shouldn't give up hope yet though. Brady put up numbers in his career too despite being a system qb. Foles should aim for that (but with a penis and without the cheating).

eznark

Banned
Holy shit.

You post like 40 times a day.

You must be doing something right in your life that you have a job that lets you sit at home all day without your pants on and troll people online about sports.

I hire smart people. I also need to be doing like 7 things at a time or I get restless. I've also almost completely stopped working from home and consolidated from five offices to one main office. I'm way more productive.

Top Bottom