• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

Browns could have won (or lost) all three games. Bottom line if they're competing and I hope they don't let us down in Tennessee this week.

Fox318

Can you harbaugh this?

Mark_Davis.jpg

DIdCyOZ.jpg

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m16 seconds ago

The Panthers, very depleted in the backfield, are signing RB Chris Ogbonnaya

Who the fuck is this?

Let me drive down to Charlotte. I can carry the football a few times for the league min.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Good news is that after this week they get Browner back. Once Dennard is healthy this secondary is going to be scary good. Lots of options to mix and match according to the opponents. Pats just have to stabilize that offense. Defensively I think they are going to be very solid.

I definitely don't know about scary good. I think Browner brings that edge, and Dennard is clearly better than Logan, in fact his coverage may be right where Revis is at these days unfortunately. I think they'll be above average, which is a dramatic difference from where they've been. Doesn't matter though they have the worst safety in the league and one of the worst front 7 I've seen in a while. Mayo looks gassed, Wilfork is dead and buried, and Chandler jones/hightower are the only 2 with discernable talent. Jamie Collins is a disaster at the moment.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Who the fuck is this?

Let me drive down to Charlotte. I can carry the football a few times for the league min.

gata pls, they'll break you in half.

Bowser

Who the fuck is this?

THE Chris Ogbonnaya?

Superb Owl.

Colasante

Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins are both inactive. I still like Dobson, but this is getting ridiculous. Meanwhile, training camp sensation and preseason dud James White is active for the first time. Hopefully he plays ahead of Brandon Bolden.

Who the fuck is this?

He's a versatile guy. Pretty big, good pass catcher, good runner, but has some fumbling issues. I'd say he's probably better then the Undfa rbs you signed.

Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins are both inactive. I still like Dobson, but this is getting ridiculous. Meanwhile, training camp sensation and preseason dud James White is active for the first time. Hopefully he plays ahead of Brandon Bolden.
Dobson must not be 100% yet. That has to be the only reason he hasnt been playing.

Bread

Banned
I just want to see Tyms Dobson Gronk and Edelman on the field at the same time.

Crisco

Banned
$15M on the most devalued position in the league, and none of them can play. What do you need to prove criminal sabotage? Means, motive, and opportunity, like murder? So all we need is an email of Hurney saying he wanted to ruin the Panthers for years to come and we've got the mother fucker.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think I said it earlier but Rex Ryan is a hell of a defensive coach and if the Jets fire him when they drafted Geno Smith at QB for his offense it'd be a stupid decision. Either way he'll find a job as DC almost on any team.

Also I remember Ken Whisenhunt being my #1 HC candidate. I was wrong and Ken can eat a bag of dicks for thinking Tennesee was a better opportunity at success than our talent loaded team with a franchise QB. Screw him I knew when he made that choice he fucked up. Enjoy being fired in two years.

ESPN had a great article (shock I know) on the defensive adjustments we made after that first drive the Jets ran the ball down our throats:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – It took seven nickel cornerbacks and one defensive wrinkle, but the Detroit Lions appear to have finally found an answer in how to handle the slot on defense.

Use two different packages, each geared with different down-and-distance in mind along with varying tendencies for an opponent. The Lions brought both nickel packages out Sunday afternoon, essentially one on likely running downs and the other in probable passing situations.

When it appeared the Jets were going to run, Detroit used a defensive package with three safeties: James Ihedigbo, Isa Abdul-Quddus and Glover Quin. The Lions would play Ihedigbo, typically a strong run defender, at his traditional strong safety spot. Abdul-Quddus would handle the free safety role, and Quin dropped down to play the slot corner.

The Lions used a couple of different nickel packages with positive results against the Jets.

When the Lions went nickel in traditional passing situations, Detroit kept Ihedigbo and Quin back at safety and brought in Danny Gorrer to handle the slot corner, much like he did last week when Don Carey re-injured his hamstring against Green Bay.

“It worked,” cornerback Rashean Mathis said. “Kudos to the staff, they did a good job of having two guys ready to go, and we need that. We have a lot of versatility in our secondary and it’s showing.”

The Lions used the more traditional nickel package with Gorrer on the field and both Quin and Ihedigbo at safety on 27 plays. Abdul-Quddus played 19 snaps, so that meant 19 plays with Quin down in the bigger nickel.

Ashlee Palmer played 18 snaps, meaning the Lions were in the 4-3 personnel 28 percent of the time Sunday against a heavy run team.

The Lions did this because of New York’s preference to run out of any formation available. New York did rush for 132 yards and 4.9 yards per carry, but 63 of those yards came on the first drive of the game. After that drive, the Lions forced five straight three-and-outs.

“You think about it, they went 12 personnel, which is primary pass form and then they can do some running out of it,” Ihedigbo said. “So to have three safeties in there, it worked out great for us.”

The Lions have some experience with 12 personnel on their own roster, too, as the team has used a single-back, two -receiver, two tight-end set more often this season than last season. So they can practice against this set if necessary.

Detroit guessed right off down-distance pretty well, too. Pro Football Focus had Gorrer on the field for 20 pass plays and Abdul-Quddus for 10 rushing plays.

Defensive coordinator Teryl Austin’s newest wrinkle worked with Detroit’s defense, though, in part because Quin has experience playing cornerback. While he has not dropped down and played corner much since moving to Detroit prior to last season, he isn’t a complete neophyte at the position so he can provide some coverage if necessary.

He also has experience playing closer to the line of scrimmage so he can really be used anywhere the Lions would like at this point.

It is part of the flexibility of Detroit’s defense and being able to play veterans at both safety spots.

“It’s just the versatility of our defense,” Ihedigbo said. “With our defense, when you know the whole entire defense, you can implement guys in different spots.

“That’s what makes it so effective.”

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=detroit-lions&id=11386

I'm extremely happy with Coach Caldwell and the coaching staff in every aspect from schemes to disciplining players if necessary. It makes me realize how bad Schwartz and most of the staff were.

All NFL teams go through injuries but we have a couple key players like Megatron, Kyle Van Noy and Waddle who have been/will be out. Luckily Waddle will be back this week but Golden Tate and Eric Ebron stepped up big time so I think we should give Megatron an extended rest.

My current Top 5 Power Rankings:

1.) Seattle Seahawks
2.) Denver Broncos
3.) Detroit Lions
4.) Cincinnati Bengals
5.) San Diego Chargers

We can beat any team in the league even if it would have to come down to our offense or defense not showing up one day.

Sorry Squall but the Cardinals are a paper tiger. You're going to have trouble making wildcard in the NFC with Drew Stanton.

Not listed in my power rankings: Packers, Bears, Eagles, 49ers, Saints and Panthers.

Top Bottom