• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
More talented pass catcher sure, all around though? Nah.

What he did as a versatile weapon was more important overall than gronk, period. When he was healthy (realistically it was actually less than gronk- knees, hips, back, etc.), he would go up over single Coverage on the outside, he would create matchup nightmares out of the slot/seam, he could run out of the backfield with the best of em, and the only player after the catch size wise and talent I can think of is B Marshall. He was unreal, and was entirely overshadowed by Gronk.

Tom Penny

Add up all his snaps you may have 1 and a half complete games.

edit- also I don't know that I've ever gone on record with this, but Hernandez was the more talented offensive player of the two. Bring on the hate!

Teams almost never picked Hernandez to double so I disagree. When Gronk has been healthy nobody ever put a single linebacker or safety on him. It was like stealing candy from a baby.

Hey simon

augolc.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Teams almost never picked Hernandez to double so I disagree. When Gronk has been healthy nobody ever put a single linebacker on him. It was like stealing candy from a baby.

The reason Gronk couldn't be doubled/tripled all the time was hernandez. He was the key cog that made everything work for everyone else. Gronk is one dimensional, and it shows. He's still unstoppable in the red zone though.

Bread

Banned
What he did as a versatile weapon was more important overall than gronk, period. When he was healthy (realistically it was actually less than gronk- knees, hips, back, etc.), he would go up over single Coverage on the outside, he would create matchup nightmares out of the slot/seam, he could run out of the backfield with the best of em, and the only player after the catch size wise and talent I can think of is B Marshall. He was unreal, and was entirely overshadowed by Gronk.
he was my favorite player

i hate him

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
he was my favorite player

i hate him

He was the most exciting player the pats have had since Randy in 07. What he did after the catch constantly blew my mind. The risk level with him on the field of a turnover was so low. He would go out, grab a short pass and turn it into 15-20, unreal absorbing contact and making guys miss. Never seen a guy of that size move like that.

edit- I had such a man crush on him. I made him laugh once at training camp!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pats have 5 RB active tonight including James White.

Sick! That way we can average sub 3 yards per carry spread out between 5 backs! The only backs who should be active right now are vereen and Bolden really. From the pre-season white looked to have really poor vision, constantly following the blocks wrong and missing cut backs. I liked the other dude better despite being undersized, but at the very least he could've been a solid 3rd down back.

DMczaf

You can thank the Bucs for the Jets continuing to start Geno Smith.

*gets pushed out of bounds for a 2 yard gain, resulting in a 15 yard penalty*

*poses likes Jesus thinking he just won the game with his skill*

Bread

Banned
He was the most exciting player the pats have had since Randy in 07. What he did after the catch constantly blew my mind. The risk level with him on the field of a turnover was so low. He would go out, grab a short pass and turn it into 15-20, unreal absorbing contact and making guys miss. Never seen a guy of that size move like that.

edit- I had such a man crush on him. I made him laugh once at training camp!
and he was so young...fuck he had the potential to be one of the best ever. god dammit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Expect phone calls from Carolina tomorrow.

Sweet, we should swap one or two of them for some more practice squad caliber receivers.

fake edit- speaking of that noticed Mr. Salas is running first string with the jets these days!

Tom Penny

The reason Gronk couldn't be doubled/tripled all the time was hernandez. He was the key cog that made everything work for everyone else. Gronk is one dimensional, and it shows. He's still unstoppable in the red zone though.

So teams decided to double team Gronk more because he was less of a threat..ok..

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So teams decided to double team Gronk more because he was less of a threat..ok..

What I'm saying is, he pulled those double teams away from him. Without Hernandez on the field, Gronk can't do nearly as much as what made him successful. Hernandez could play without Gronk is my point, and on all different levels. It was impossible to gameplan for. Gronk is easy to gameplan for, especially with Brady limiting him these days.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The whole thing about Harbs and the team being disconnected is a bunch of trash. Losing magnifies issues, for sure, I won't deny that. Most of the veterans on this team were here doing the Nolan and Singletary eras. They know how much a good coach means to a football team. No way would they want those days back.

It just seems like they are trying to manufacture a story. Deion Sanders is a clown, we lose that game yesterday if we weren't "down with for our coach."
Idk man. It makes sense to me. Look at Harbaugh's past and the kind of personality he is. I think he just wears on you to the point where you're just like, "you know what? Fuck this guy." Regardless, he's gone next year. I think that much is pretty clear.

Tom Penny

What I'm saying is, he pulled those double teams away from him. Without Hernandez on the field, Gronk can't do nearly as much as what made him successful. Hernandez could play without Gronk is my point, and on all different levels. It was impossible to gameplan for. Gronk is easy to gameplan for, especially with Brady limiting him these days.

Pats scored the most points in the NFL the games Gronk played last year from being asstastic. Clearly a healthy Gronk can't play without Hernandez.

brentech

My current Top 5 Power Rankings:

1.) Seattle Seahawks
2.) Denver Broncos
3.) Detroit Lions
4.) Cincinnati Bengals
5.) San Diego Chargers

We can beat any team in the league even if it would have to come down to our offense or defense not showing up one day.

Sorry Squall but the Cardinals are a paper tiger. You're going to have trouble making wildcard in the NFC with Drew Stanton.

Not listed in my power rankings: Packers, Bears, Eagles, 49ers, Saints and Panthers.
Go out of way to list 'not in your power rankings', and put a team that beat the Lions in a game that wasn't even close. Then barely limp by the Packers.

Yet, somehow, the Lions are third.

:kas

Top Bottom