• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

The Dolphins still suck, though. :(

If I had to pick a division winner it would be the Pats. I think they can scrounge up 8 or 9 wins and I don't feel confident that anyone else in the division can do that. Crazier things have happened and I'm glad the Dolphins have a little life but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I don't think so.

I think for the first time in a long time, all three teams (Dolphins, Bills, and Jets) have what it takes to win at least 1 game each against the Pats. Pats coast to division titles because they're 4-2, 5-1, and 6-0 in the division every year.

eznark

Banned
You should see me after a college hockey loss.

Sweet, someone to put on ignore!

Do yourself a favor and don't. He is amazing. He only comes in here like 5 times a year an it's either to make excuses for Brady/The Cheat or to complain about people laughing at Brady's knee injury.

Dragon

Banned
Say a lot of things about me, but I haven't melted down after a loss since Favre threw the NFCC against the Giants.

You seem like a person who's cold when he's angry, not the type to throw things at the TV.

Do yourself a favor and don't. He is amazing. He only comes in here like 5 times a year an it's either to make excuses for Brady/The Cheat or to complain about people laughing at Brady's knee injury.

:/. I complain about that stuff too!

Play with a lower level team like Arsenal or something and you won't face them anymore. They are stupid, stupid overpowered. Same with Bayern.
Yeah it's honestly just ridiculous. I have tried a few 5 star teams like Germany and PSG just for fun and I play Real Madrid 9 out of 10 times. If the player is even slightly competent it's just about impossible to defend Ronaldo, he can just keep changing directions and make the defenders feel like they are stuck in mud. This is the first FIFA where I am legitimately worried when a player starts running at my team straight from the kick off. It's awful.

I like the game for the most part but it feels like defense got screwed and offense got even stronger. I might go back to playing as England, they are a fun 4.5 star team so hopefully no matches against Real. I tried playing as USA one game and got matched against Liverpool...

Tom Penny

I don't think so.

I think for the first time in a long time, all three teams (Dolphins, Bills, and Jets) have what it takes to win at least 1 game each against the Pats. Pats coast to division titles because they're 4-2, 5-1, and 6-0 in the division every year.

Pats have won over 70% of their games in the Brady era outside of the division which probably helped too...

ShaneB

The Dolphins still suck, though. :(

If I had to pick a division winner it would be the Pats. I think they can scrounge up 8 or 9 wins and I don't feel confident that anyone else in the division can do that. Crazier things have happened and I'm glad the Dolphins have a little life but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Eh, just helpin ya stay positive. A little life is all that is needed sometimes! I have no idea what to make out of most of the divisions. Like I said last night, I can just as easily see the next SNF being a laugher and the Pats rolling over the Bengals, and it's all back up in the air. Same for most of the divisions.

Wrayfield

Guys, I haven't been around for a while. What's with the avatars?

@Spades: Sorry I missed you last weekend. Mobile was on the fritz. Or it was the network, I dunno. Hope you enjoyed the game.

Say a lot of things about me, but I haven't melted down after a loss since Favre threw the NFCC against the Giants.

Fun Fact: I was more upset about Wisconsin losing to Kentucky in the Final Four than I was about the Lions late season collapse last year. I mean Josh Gasser how could you not play up on Harrison when he killed the last two team with that same three ball.

Dragon

Banned
Pats have won over 70% of their games in the Brady era outside of the division which probably helped too...

I mean, playing in a shitty division helps get home field, no doubt, but it isn't like they were always like the Colts last year, who were just .500 out of their division but won 11 games.

Eh, just helpin ya stay positive. A little life is all that is needed sometimes! I have no idea what to make out of most of the divisions. Like I said last night, I can just as easily see the next SNF being a laugher and the Pats rolling over the Bengals, and it's all back up in the air. Same for most of the divisions.
I appreciate that, my friend. I try to keep things somewhat level to avoid the extreme disappointment that has gone hand in hand with my Dolphins fandom since day one.

The Dolphins could make a run at the division but they have a lot of work to do. They need more consistency from a lot of positions and they have to learn how to beat physical teams like the Bills and Chiefs.

eznark

Banned
Fun Fact: I was more upset about Wisconsin losing to Kentucky in the Final Four than I was about the Lions late season collapse last year. I mean Josh Gasser how could you not play up on Harrison when he killed the last two team with that same three ball.

I kind of lose my shit over just about every loss. I just don't do it on here. On twitter sometimes, but not here. Fuck you guys. But really I almost never get too upset about Packer games. For so long we've kind of known exactly what they are. I got real pissed at the Cardinals playoff loss because that was a facemask and I got real pissed at the Colts loss two years ago because they had no business losing that game but that's kind of it lately.

When the Badgers got pucker punched by BC in the Frozen Four a few years ago I was up in Detroit for it. Game ended at midnight. I was staying in a hotel with like 30 family members (we like hockey). I walked to the hotel room, got my car keys, and left. Drove to Indiana. Kept driving. Ended up driving like 15 hours.

I was angry.

Yeah it's honestly just ridiculous. I have tried a few 5 star teams like Germany and PSG just for fun and I play Real Madrid 9 out of 10 times. If the player is even slightly competent it's just about impossible to defend Ronaldo, he can just keep changing directions and make the defenders feel like they are stuck in mud. This is the first FIFA where I am legitimately worried when a player starts running at my team straight from the kick off. It's awful.

I like the game for the most part but it feels like defense got screwed and offense got even stronger. I might go back to playing as England, they are a fun 4.5 star team so hopefully no matches against Real. I tried playing as USA one game and got matched against Liverpool...

They will patch it, to balance it out a bit.

It's EA, the real launch is always a month after the game hits the shelf.

Bowser

Guys, I haven't been around for a while. What's with the avatars?

tumblr_inline_nb07xxU1oE1rovkca.gif

Tom Penny

I appreciate that, my friend. I try to keep things somewhat level to avoid the extreme disappointment that has gone hand in hand with my Dolphins fandom since day one.

The Dolphins could make a run at the division but they have a lot of work to do. They need more consistency from a lot of positions and they have to learn how to beat physical teams like the Bills and Chiefs.

Only thing that Pats don't suck at right now is special teams which will probably get Edelman injured because they won't use Amendola. On a side note Amendola is 4 for 4 on caught passes where a flag was thrown negating his catch lol

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
As we witness the demise of once strong franchises like the Patriots and Saints here is a preview of the next decade:

Reasons to believe in Detroit

The Detroit Lions are 3-1 for the second season in a row, and we all know what success has recently meant for them -- namely that imminent doom must be right around the corner. If there were a statistic for soul-crushing disappointment after high hopes, the Lions would lead the NFL in it. From 2011 through last season, they endured a league-high 71 disaster plays, defined here as those reducing win probability by at least 15 percentage points. That's about as close as we can come to quantifying heartbreak.

That painful history is not going to subside easily, but through four games, there is evidence the 2014 season could be different for Detroit. These Lions have already achieved telling milestones on each side of the ball, and so far they've avoided the disaster plays as we defined them above. It's a new day in Detroit and in the NFC North, the only division where every team is .500 or better.

My list of 10 takeaways from Week 4 focuses on the surprising Dallas Cowboys and Baltimore Ravens, among others, but we begin with Detroit.

1. These Lions are different (so far) in meaningful ways.

Defense: The 2013 Lions held three opponents to 17 or fewer points. The 2014 team has done it three times in its first four games under new defensive coordinator Teryl Austin. Facing Geno Smith and the New York Jets in Week 4 helped, and the New York Giants were brutal against Detroit in the opener. But looking back to last season, Minnesota put up 24 points on Detroit in the opener even with Christian Ponder tossing three interceptions. The Lions have been solid on defense so far, especially when they held Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay to 6.0 yards per attempt and seven points. Rodgers had no such troubles at Chicago, a telling two-week stretch.

Anyone one have the rest of the article?

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?stor...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

Wrayfield

http://media.tumblr.com/8ea9caa923c92a2eab166402adf3683d/tumblr_inline_nb07xxU1oE1rovkca.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Fox318, post: 132276524"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iihN64c0S9Q"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fVkOEWE.jpg[IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks guys.

Dragon

Banned
ez is the moto 360 good? The amazon reviews are putrid for it but I kinda want a smartwatch and since Apple is locking theirs down to only iPhones (the fucks) there aren't a ton of options.

Well, that was better than a Brady comeback attempt at least.

What are you talking about? Brady's been still pretty good since 2008!

eznark

Banned
The view from the top of the NFC North is amazing.

Can't wait for the Quarter Season Champions banner raising next week! You'll look great in the commemorative t-shirt.

ez is the moto 360 good? The amazon reviews are putrid for it but I kinda want a smartwatch and since Apple is locking theirs down to only iPhones (the fucks) there aren't a ton of options.

Dunno I didn't get it because the battery life sucks. Reviews seemed pretty great last I checked though and supposedly an update came out this week that nearly doubles the battery life. If that's true I'll probably pick one up soon, but so far it's just reddit chatter.

Bowser

As we witness the demise of once strong franchises like the Patriots and Saints here is a preview of the next decade:

Reasons to believe in Detroit

Anyone one have the rest of the article?

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?stor...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

This is the rest about Detroit:

Offense: Quarterback Matthew Stafford has too frequently forced the ball to Calvin Johnson, risking turnovers in situations when there was no need to take chances. It was strange Sunday watching Stafford drive the Lions' offense without Megatron factoring on the stat sheet, as he was limited with an ankle injury. Johnson finished with two catches for 12 yards, his lowest production in a Lions victory.

Stafford completed 13 of 16 passes for 214 yards and a touchdown when targeting his wide receivers, his highest percentage since Week 3 of the 2012 season. He accounted for three touchdowns, two rushing and one passing. Stafford completed 22 passes to players other than Johnson.

The performance led me to revisit what a general manager told me about Stafford before the season. "I'm curious about Stafford," the GM said. "He has talent, but the team hasn't won and he has not consistently been the difference. Calvin Johnson is the difference."

Stafford was the difference Sunday.

Disaster plays: If the reference to 71 disaster plays threw you, here's a quick primer using an example from the game against the Giants in Week 16 last season. More than a decade of play-by-play data showed Detroit's win probability to be 84.5 percent when the team held a 20-13 fourth-quarter lead, but when Stafford threw a pick-six interception to tie the score, the data estimated Detroit's chances to be 57.1 percent, a drop of 27.4 points.

The Lions have endured a few costly plays this season, such as when Stafford lost a fumble on second-and-goal against the Packers. None of those plays cost the team's chances as much as those 71 plays from the past three seasons. That is because Stafford's three interceptions have come on long passes deep in opposing territory. One third-and-10 pick actually improved the Lions' win probability by pinning Green Bay at its own 1-yard line -- it was essentially a perfect punt.

This Detroit team so far has not made the one or two killer mistakes that doomed it to defeat so frequently under the previous leadership. Time will tell if this improvement is for real, but that's a positive sign for the Lions. They are contenders in a division that appears to be wide open this season.

Bonus Suh blurb:

5. Getting paid will not be a problem for Ndamukong Suh.

Sunday marked another milestone in the contract drama regarding Suh, with sources telling ESPN's Adam Schefter that both Suh and the Lions are preparing to head in different directions after the season, when Suh can become a free agent. A general manager I consulted during training camps said then that he thought the Lions would wind up paying to keep Suh.

"They are not in the business of losing playmakers, and he is one," this GM said. "He is a guy you have to worry about."

Problem is, the Lions would have to commit more than $26 million to Suh on a one-year offer if they chose to name him their franchise player. That number is prohibitive for a nonquarterback, so if Suh wants out, he could get that chance. There's no evidence teams would shy away from paying top dollar for Suh based on his reputation for drawing flags for overly aggressive on-field play.

"I don't think he has done anything that would eliminate him from consideration to be paid based on his play," the GM said. "Therefore, I think he will get paid a lot. Now, there might be a little hedge in there, some sort of payback structure, but from a financial standpoint, the money in it will reflect his ability level."

We all knew this day would come, but it's kinda surreal right now.

You sure didnt seem to know this day would come in the offseason when I was telling you that it was coming. Poor dragon is going to be wearing an Xbox avatar because of you saying the Pats would definitely have a better record then the Eagles.

If Plinko hasnt said he will do the new thread then I will do it. I have a few ideas.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm sorry but that was just funny. Pats fans acting like this is the worst o-line of all time... It just makes me shake my head. If you guys only knew.

It's okay Dutch, at least you have a mediocre FIFA game to distract you.

Alright, so the pats wouldn't be 2-2 right now with Aaron Rodgers? They made Tannehill look good in game 1 and Cameron Wake was in the backfield on the damn snap. Same reason the pack are 2-2 and just barely eeked out the win against Geno's jets.

Also the worst secondary, LB's, d-line, RB's, WR's, punter, kicker, coach, water boy, janitors, concession stand workers, and parking lot security guards.

I made a case for why I think the management in NE has been awful, can you counter my argument? The secondary is embarrasing outside of Revis, who really has been average. My point was that Chung and Logan Ryan are both bottom tier players. The pats have had a bottom 5 secondary ever single year since what, 2008? Not a reach at all.

The LB corps is Jamie Collins who has been a total bust, Jerod Mayo who looks completely gassed, and Hightower whose been fine, but as a group they are a major reason teams are averaging massive numbers in the run game. Knoshon went for almost 200 yards, and the chiefs as a team averaged close to 8 yards a carry last night. Nothing is "worst all time" bad, although I'm not sure why Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia still have a job.

edit- also the D-line is definitely one of the worst in the league. The only talent is Chandler Jones, who has a serious problem stopping the run. We have a 33 year old 400 pound NT coming off a career ending injury for most people who was already in decline, and then nobodies. Ninko has always been a little overrated, and he's only a rotation player anyways.

I understand it's a fun thread for you guys, and you have a right to be an asshole because hurrhurr it's the internet, but I don't have to stand here and ask for rights to post in the thread. I've been active in the nfl thread for a long time, 5 times a year my ass.

Go back and read my arguments if you want, I'm not arguing anything crazy, I'm just making a case for why the pats are as bad as they are, and yes they're really that bad. I'm still trying to figure out what it is I say/do that pisses people off, or makes me out to be a blind fanboy acting like none of this has to do with the pats sucking ass.

Dragon

Banned
You sure didnt seem to know this day would come in the offseason when I was telling you that it was coming. Poor dragon is going to be wearing an Xbox avatar because of you saying the Pats would definitely have a better record then the Eagles.

YH stop patting yourself on the back. Even an Eagles fan is right once in a while!

Top Bottom