• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

Dragon

Banned
I am pretty sure Foles is pretty high up there in terms of long yardage completions though. I mean, if Zach Ertz is a leader in 20+ yard receptions that also means Foles likely is.

ibt8QbwUa9xWO8.gif

gutshot

Well when defensive backs can't step within five yards of a wide receiver, I'm sure it helps.

Speaks to the rule changes in the NFL and Goodell ruining football.

All the current QBs are playing by the same rules though.

I assume it's more all the double digit deficits forcing the passing game.

Seems plausible on the surface, but doing some research shows that hasn't really affected his numbers too much. He is 3rd in the league in pass attempts, behind Luck and Tannehill(?), and has only 12 more attempts than the 10th place QB, Peyton Manning. Yes, he's thrown the ball a good bit, but it's not a ton more than the rest of the top passers in this league.

Fun fact: Foles has attempted 2 more passes than Jay Cutler yet has 228 more passing yards.

If anything it's the offensive line injuries that are forcing the passing for the Eagles more than the point deficits. It's not like McCoy is incapable of making huge running plays.

gutshot

So it's coincidence things like 5000 yards was done once in 1984 then magically it was done 6 times since 2011?

No, passing stats are up across the board, that much is true. My point is you can't write off Foles' accomplishments just because of recent rule changes. All current QBs are beneficiaries of these changes, so if he is out performing them and/or accomplishing feats that have been done by future Hall of Famers like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, then you have to acknowledge that he is putting up some special numbers.

Dragon

Banned

I didn't realize that. Next you'll tell me a yard in one stadium is a yard in another!

No, passing stats are up across the board, that much is true. My point is you can't write off Foles' accomplishments just because of recent rule changes. All current QBs are beneficiaries of these changes, so if he is out performing them and/or accomplishing feats that have been done by future Hall of Famers like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, then you have to acknowledge that he is putting up some special numbers.

Accomplishments? The dude has started less than 20 games in his career. Please. This year he has played against Jacksonville, Washington and Indianapolis. Two of those teams are ranked 29th or lower in yards per game defensively. And yes I realize some of that is circular reasoning considering they've only played 3 games and one was against Foles. However, neither Jacksonville nor Indianapolis have good defenses.

He has thrown 12 more yards than Matt Ryan. Holy shit he's amazing!

Seems plausible on the surface, but doing some research shows that hasn't really affected his numbers too much. He is 3rd in the league in pass attempts, behind Luck and Tannehill(?), and has only 12 more attempts than the 10th place QB, Peyton Manning. Yes, he's thrown the ball a good bit, but it's not a ton more than the rest of the top passers in this league.

Fun fact: Foles has attempted 2 more passes than Jay Cutler yet has 228 more passing yards.

SMH

eznark

Banned
Jacksonville and Indianapolis are two of the worst defenses in football against the pass. Washington is in the bottom half as well.

Foles has thrown the ball 40+ times per game.

This isn't rocket science people.

Thing is I like his chances to actually accomplish something interesting and get that 4th in a row. 49ers have been garbage against the pass.

*all passing rankings via AFS

eznark

Banned

You realize he hasn't yet accomplished this yet right?

Kelly was so stupid whenever she learned something new something old would be forgotten. Al and Kelly went on a local game show and he crammed her head with so much info she forgot which local hero scored 4 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High - her dad.

I can't believe I picked up on that reference.

I loved that episode lol

Dragon

Banned
If you take his last season for the next 10 years he will have almost 300 TD's and only 20 picks. That's a hall of famer to me.

Eli Manning is a HOFer, HOFers are a dime a dozen! And when I say HOFer, I mean Eli gets in because he has two SBs not because his overall body of work deserves it.

In games in which the Eagles are down up at least 14 points:

Andy Reid's Eagles went 2-47

Chip Kelley's Eagles are 3-5

I am very surprised by the AR number, he was so reliant on the pass you would think that they could have passes themselves back into games more often.

eznark

Banned
I do now. I saw you pointing that out after posting. That is pretty silly by NFL.com.

However, even you yourself admit he has a good chance at doing it. We'll see, I guess.

Yeah, I do. I am definitely extremely skeptical of their level of competition to this point though.

gutshot

In games in which the Eagles are down up at least 14 points:

Andy Reid's Eagles went 2-47

Chip Kelley's Eagles are 3-5

I am very surprised by the AR number, he was so reliant on the pass you would think that they could have passes themselves back into games more often.

That was the problem. Teams with a big lead would just sit back in nickel or dime and Andy would completely abandon the run and attempt to pass into the teeth of that defense. Chip is a lot more balanced, even when playing from behind. He is going to take what the defense gives him.

Top Bottom