• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

ugh. So over this Jeter fellating. Apparently you hit a lollipop fastball and get lucky because the catcher is a doofus, and you're suddenly the greatest motherfucker of all time.

Secretly full of respect for Jeter, sad to see him leave baseball

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
ugh. So over this Jeter fellating. Apparently you hit a lollipop fastball and get lucky because the catcher is a doofus, and you're suddenly the greatest motherfucker of all time.

Secretly full of respect for Jeter, sad to see him leave baseball

yea if he played for just about any other team he'd be another very good to great player retiring.

Craig Biggio career stats are dead even with Jeter's.

eznark

Banned
yea if he played for just about any other team he'd be another very good to great player retiring.

Craig Biggio career stats are dead even with Jeter's.

Jeter is only as good as this other Hall of Famer. What a bum!

I wish Jeter had retired 5 years ago after his great 2009 campaign.

Cagey

Banned
Let me tell you about a man. Went by the name of Larry Donnell. Eight feet tall if he was an inch, with arms like tree trunks. Another thing about Larry Donnell...he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes, like a doll's eyes.

All hail the Black
Kevin
Boss.

gutshot

So Redskins fans have now felt the heartbreak that Gata feels regularly: their love affair with their Cousins ended last night.

BigAT

Bybs1TzIAAAsy-N.jpg

"You know, you can't coach speed, Deion. You can't coach it. Some people have it, some people don't." #blessed

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-...d-FOR-SOCIAL?campaign=Twitter_video_eli_deion

captive

Jeter is only as good as this other Hall of Famer. What a bum!

I wish Jeter had retired 5 years ago after his great 2009 campaign.

yea well, theres the problem lots of people dont consider Biggio a hall of famer.

captive

Do you consider Robin Yount a Hall of Famer?

well, i never heard of him till just now and considering I was 6 when he retired I can't say that I ever saw him play, but given he had a couple of MVPs and more hits than anyone in the 80s, I would say yes. Also doesnt hurt that he's already in the Hall.

eznark

Banned
War was only part of the story for him that year and its disingenuous to ignore his comeback.

What does his "comeback" have to do with anything? He was a giant liability defensively and slightly above average with the bat. There is nothing "great" about his 2012. Hell his 2009 wasn't even "great" but it was really, really good and one of the best seasons of his career. Would have been cool to see him leave on that one.

I'm not comparing anything other than their production in the years you are citing. Who cares how old they are? If you want to tell me Jeter's 2012 was "great" for a 38 year old then I am listening. Show me why it's great in comparison to other 38 year olds. I bet it probably is.

cajunator

Banned
shit, this time tomorrow morning I will be on a plane. Its a completely new experience for me. Im nervous/excited about it. I know for some of yall its routine but its totally out of my comfort zone.

eznark

Banned
War was only part of the story for him that year and its disingenuous to ignore his comeback.

Plus you are comparing a 30 year old to a then 38 year old player.

I'll actually do the work for you.

In 2012 Jeter was the 104th best player in baseball, per fWAR (which likes his season more than bWAR by the way, I'm being generous!) tied with Ian Kinsler. For SS, he was slightly worse than Starlin Castro, slightly better than Asdrubal Cabrera.

As for the age comparison.

Jeter's 38 year old campaign produced 2.2 bWAR, the best season in history by a player over 38 was (obviously) Barry Bonds with 10.6 WAR. 5th best was Babe Ruth with 6.4 WAR.

Jeter's 2012 is the 114th best season by a player age 38 or older. It is tied with such greats as Brian Downing and Wally Schang (also with Frank Thomas and Ernie Lombardi if it makes you feel better).

Great? I mean, it's a pretty ambiguous term so sure.

*war is not perfect, particularly as a predictive measure or when aggregated to try and determine team performance. What it IS great at is comparing individual players, specifically across generations. So if you want to "lol WAR, nerd" me, please do so with specific complaints.

Fox318

What does his "comeback" have to do with anything? He was a giant liability defensively and slightly above average with the bat. There is nothing "great" about his 2012. Hell his 2009 wasn't even "great" but it was really, really good and one of the best seasons of his career. Would have been cool to see him leave on that one.
There were people in this town that called for him to retire more so then the people calling for him to drop in the lineup this year.

He came back and had a starter quality year hitting more hits than he had had in years and his war bumped up 1.3 points.

Good batting average, good ops, more walks then he had had in years at a 38 years old.

I'm not saying that he should have won the MVP that year but he had a great year for what the Yankees needed and where he was at in his career.

Fox318

words have meanings

Look I'm not one of these people that have him as a top 5 ball player of all time, Hell he isn't even in my top 10 Yankees but watching every game in 2012 he had a great year.

Yes great has a meaning but player comparisons also must be matched with what realistic expectations and history.

eznark

Banned
Look I'm not one of these people that have him as a top 5 ball player of all time, Hell he isn't even in my top 10 Yankees but watching every game in 2012 he had a great year.

Yes great has a meaning but player comparisons also must be matched with what realistic expectations and history.

Only if you have an agenda

eznark

Banned
If a game is tied at the end of a pro FIFA match do they make you play a different game to decide the winner, like in real soccer?

Top Bottom