• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
USA! USA! USA!

team-usa-ryder-cup.jpg

wtf is going on in this thread, fucking soccer and golf?

eznark said:
Let's never talk baseball again.
Yea, i was six when he retired.

There were people in this town that called for him to retire more so then the people calling for him to drop in the lineup this year.

He came back and had a starter quality year hitting more hits than he had had in years and his war bumped up 1.3 points.

Good batting average, good ops, more walks then he had had in years at a 38 years old.

I'm not saying that he should have won the MVP that year but he had a great year for what the Yankees needed and where he was at in his career.

Is "starter quality" a nice way of saying replacement level? Cause that's a far cry from "great". Fact is Jeter was always horribly overrated. He was never in his life one of the 5 or 10 best players in the game, probably not even close, yet he is being treated like the second coming of Michael Jordan or Joe DiMaggio is retiring or something. It's all a little much. Chipper Jones was a better player and retired with much less fanfare a year ago. A lot of that might have been his own choice, yet isn't that what people blow Jeter about? About how humble and low key he is? Nothing about this entire retirement charade has been humble or low key, and if you think Jeter wasn't signing off on it every step of the way along with nike and Gatorade you are naive as hell.

Fox318

Only if you have an agenda

If we were playing Strat-O-Matic I'd agree but we are talking about his performance as in comparison to the games he was in and in my opinion he had a great year.

Will we talk about that year in the same context as Trout's rookie year, Miggy's triple crown in the future? No but that shouldn't diminish how Jeter was able to come back and provide a solid role for the Yankees.

If we were playing Strat-O-Matic I'd agree but we are talking about his performance as in comparison to the games he was in and in my opinion he had a great year.

Will we talk about that year in the same context as Trout's rookie year, Miggy's triple crown in the future? No but that shouldn't diminish how Jeter was able to come back and provide a solid role for the Yankees.

You can't write the narrative and come to a conclusion first, and then look at the facts, because then you start to twist them to fit. You've already in your head decided that Jetet was great, despite all the evidence pointing out that he was decidedly average.

Is "starter quality" a nice way of saying replacement level? Cause that's a far cry from "great". Fact is Jeter was always horribly overrated. He was never in his life one of the 5 or 10 best players in the game, probably not even close, yet he is being treated like the second coming of Michael Jordan or Joe DiMaggio is retiring or something. It's all a little much. Chipper Jones was a better player and retired with much less fanfare a year ago. A lot of that might have been his own choice, yet isn't that what people blow Jeter about? About how humble and low key he is? Nothing about this entire retirement charade has been humble or low key, and if you think Jeter wasn't signing off on it every step of the way along with nike and Gatorade you are naive as hell.

If you havent heard it yet Kieth Olberman had a fantastic deconstruction of the myth of Jeter a few days ago. I highly recommend it.

*Sigh*. Directv is fine but Directstartv is getting on my last nerves. I did the refer a friend through them cause they give you and the friend i'm referring a $100 visa gift card. Except we did it back in May and should of had it already. Since mid August I've been calling finding out what's the problem. First they said wait till Sept. 5th it didn't come, then they said wait a week still didn't come. I called again they said they are investigating why. Now I'm calling again cause my friend and I still don't have our cards and I've been on hold for almost 50 minutes.

eznark

Banned
They give you a $100 gift card now? Damn when I was doing it they just gave you $10 off your bill every month for 10 months.

facepalm.gif

Fox318

Best Yankee retirements were Mo and Paul O'Neil but the way that game ended last night was just magical and that's part of what baseball is all about. It's an odd mixture of emotion and calculation that is unmatched in other sports.

Was the marketing shameful during this tour absofuckinglutly for the people in the tri-state area who grew up watching this dude you understand what he meant to baseball in the area and to the Yankees. Every single ball player and kid in this area wanted to be Jeter and it wasn't because of sponsorships or even wealth. It was because of his on the field success particularly in the post season.

I saw a sports store have a shit ton of these in prep for the last month.
dLLXj5ll.jpg

Don't worry ez they have something for you.
gZWgRLy.jpg

If your top 4 Yankees aren't some order of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle, I'm not even fucking talking to you.

Jeter is at best in the next tier with the Riveras, Fords, and Berras of the world.

I wanted to be Jeter because his pimp game is unmatched. Never got tied down to one woman, spent his playing days smashing 10s, settles down when he's washed up. He should be in the hall of fame for that alone.

I wanted to be Jeter because his pimp game is unmatched. Never got tied down to one woman, spent his playing days smashing 10s, settles down when he's washed up. He should be in the hall of fame for that alone.

Hahha, Jeter is a Hall-Of-Famer Pimp for sure. I read an article that said he gives away autographed shit to the ladies he bangs.

MRSA

Banned
I still haven't found a way to lose that fucking garlic smell off my fingers, so I'm trying to limit exposure.

But maybe you have a trick for that!

I fuckin hate using a garlic press, cleaning that shit is like Gata nipping at your ankles, annoying as fuck.

I just smash the shit outta the garlic with my knife then give it a rough chop or two, comes out just fine by me.

LevelNth

Banned
The need to deconstruct the Jeter myth is for idiots and idiots alone. No one but the unintelligent, illiterate and hysterically narcissistic media personalities/stupid fucking monkeys should give a shit or pay attention to this modern day obsession of extremism and attempt to describe players as only either GOATs or overrated shits.

Whether you hate the Yankees or not, any media personality who spends any of their time talking about Jeter in any other sense other than he's a great player that, above all, always played with class (sports could use this reminder right now you fools) not only has no business being a sports media personality, but is also a moron that cares more about being a contrarian and daydream wanking to others' disagreeing with their self-ascribed 'superior/enlightened' opinion and thus isn't worthy of the digital bytes that house their bullshit ruminations about being retarded.

Fuck you Olberman.

JABEE

I admit that I stood and applauded Chipper Jones when he came to Philadelphia for his last game. Almost every Phillies fan did.

eznark

Banned
The need to deconstruct the Jeter myth is for idiots and idiots alone. No one but the unintelligent, illiterate and hysterically narcissistic media personalities/stupid fucking monkeys should give a shit or pay attention to this modern day obsession of extremism and attempt to describe players as only either GOATs or overrated shits.

Whether you hate the Yankees or not, any media personality who spends any of their time talking about Jeter in any other sense other than he's a great player that, above all, always played with class (sports could use this reminder right now you fools) not only has no business being a sports media personality, but is also a moron that cares more about being a contrarian and daydream wanking to others' disagreeing with their self-ascribed 'superior/enlightened' opinion and thus isn't worthy of the digital bytes that house their bullshit ruminations about being retarded.

Fuck you Olberman.

Ripping the obsession with polarization by going the "if you don't agree with me you are obviously a fucking idiot" route is super meta, bro.

Bowser

can we please get back to football

FOOTBALL

Panthers practice tweets:

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 1m
A bit of a surprise to see Jonathan Stewart on the practice field. Don't imagine there's any chance he plays though

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 1m
Surprise, day 2 — Jonathan Stewart has his helmet on today.

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn 1m
#Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart (knee) not moving fast but at least in helmet and shoulder pads today.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 1m
Thomas Davis on the practice field again. Battling hip and hamstring injuries. We will see if he was limited or full later

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn 49s
Linebacker Thomas Davis also practicing again today. Moving pretty good. #Panthers

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn 1m
OT Garry Williams on bike for #Panthers.

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 1m
Stewart looked pretty limited, but still, surprising to see him out there. http://instagram.com.../p/tafTeuFZA3/

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 34s
Thomas Davis was out there again. Garry Williams not practicing, but advanced to the bike.

JABEE

Fuck you Olberman.
Jeter was a great player. He wasn't Ted Williams or Hank Aaron.

Top Bottom