• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Godslay

Banned
At least he has clutch kicks under his belt and has been in the spotlight before. Matt Prater will be given a longer leash in terms of how he does on the field and a shorter one because of his MRSAesque boozing habit. I feel much more comfortable with him than I have with any kickers we've had on the field or on the practice squad since Hanson retired.

One of the main reasons Ken Whisenhunt was not hired in Detroit is because he wanted to much power on how to control the roster as he did in Arizona.

That's his roster and without a QB in the AFC South he won't do it in the next two years.

He's been good in the past without a doubt. If the lions signed him he obviously still has it. It was just concerning to see him look like crap in the preseason and then get suspended, then cut. Just giving a heads up in terms of what I saw.

MRSA

Banned
lmao the Raiders are favored this week? What in the flying fuck.

EDIT: Someone lied to me, its -7 Chargers. I'll take that bet.

There are a variety of circumstances but it takes time for offenses to come together, and sometimes they don't for a variety of reasons whether it be injuries or coaching.

See Phillip Rivers and the season he's having. There have been plenty of times in the past the media and fans wanted Rivers gone but his talent was always evident. It's the same with Stafford. I know he has all the ability to be great and Lions fans need to get used to him as our QB.

To be fair, with Rivers there was only a 2 season stretch where god knows what happened, but everything before and after that stretch has been pretty nice. Not that I follow the Lions/Stafford enough to weigh in on that situation.

Fantomex

The Flash looks just as promising as Arrow did when it premiered. I love it already

belichick09101.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If the NFC Playoffs were today:

1.) Philadelphia Eagles 4-1
2.) Arizona Cardinals 3-1
3.) Carolina Panthers 3-2
4.) Detroit Lions 3-2

Wildcard

5.) Dallas Cowboys 4-1
6.) Seattle Seahawks 3-1

7-13 in order:

49ers
Giants
Packers
Minnesota
Atlanta
New Orleans
Chicago

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/group/2/order/false

To be fair, with Rivers there was only a 2 season stretch where god knows what happened, but everything before and after that stretch has been pretty nice. Not that I follow the Lions/Stafford enough to weigh in on that situation.

Stafford took over the worst team in NFL history (by a good margin) at the age of 21. At least the Chargers had an established coach, QB, running back, TE and defense led by Junior Seau.

None of the lines this week really stand out. Denver -9 at the Jets isn't bad and I would take the money line for the Bucs whatever it ends up being.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
One more .gif and pic of the Bills d-line getting to Stafford:

curls.0.gif

tate_open.0.PNG

Here, the Lions are running three curl routes on second-and-long. The ball is designed to come out quick, yet Stafford again sits in the pocket too long and fails to get the ball out. He initially draws the defense downward, eying Calvin Johnson at the bottom. He then looks for Brandon Pettigrew in the middle, who is covered. However, just next to him, Golden Tate is standing there open.
This is a difficult read to make, because Tate is quite possibly the third option on the play. Additionally, the safety eventually makes a quick break on the route, so a late pass likely results in an interception. However, this play is designed to get the ball out fast. All three receivers are stationary, which is a good sign that the ball should already be out. At the very least, Stafford needs to throw the ball away to avoid a sack and potential fumble.

Compared to the earlier .gif I posted with a wide open Ebron I'm glad Stafford took this sack. I think with Megatron in he automatically looked at him first whereas from here on out he'll start looking at Tate. Like the quote says 3 curl routes means the ball has to come out quickly but even Tate was open for a split second and that would've been a very hard throw to make. If he is given a couple more seconds Tate re-adjusts his route and gets open.

Stafford has been criticized plenty in the past of slanging it instead of taking a sack. He promised to work on turnovers this season, and he has but at the cost of more sacks.

We need Stafford to sling it but not Cutler no-fucks-given slinging. It's a delicate balance that he'll get down.

EDIT: Or he could've gone to Reggie in the checkdown but that probably would not resulted in much. Still much better than taking that sack.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I never said he did. I said fans and the media threw Rivers under the bus for a few seasons here and there and most of the time it was through no fault of his own it was the team or circumstances around him. Same thing with Stafford.

Both Stafford and Rivers are franchise QBs you stick with in the long run. Rivers seems to be in his prime right now, but he's been great in the past and had some mediocre seasons. Stafford is only 26 with plenty of time left in his career but he is a franchise QB with talent you can't teach, no doubt about that IMO.

Fantomex

curls.0.gif

tate_open.0.PNG

Compared to the earlier .gif I posted with a wide open Ebron I'm glad Stafford took this sack. I think with Megatron in he automatically looked at him first whereas from here on out he'll start looking at Tate. Like the quote says 3 curl routes means the ball has to come out quickly but even Tate was open for a split second and that would've been a very hard throw to make. If he is given a couple more seconds Tate re-adjusts his route and gets open.

Stafford has been criticized plenty in the past of slanging it instead of taking a sack. He promised to work on turnovers this season, and he has but at the cost of more sacks.

We need Stafford to sling it but not Cutler no-fucks-given slinging. It's a delicate balance that he'll get down.

EDIT: Or he could've gone to Reggie in the checkdown but that probably would not resulted in much. Still much better than taking that sack.

I don't see a progression in Stafford. Thats the part that would trouble me. Wilson and even Hoyer to an extent have progressed. stafford is still decent but doesn't seem to grow, even with a ton of options. I've seen him drop with 5 seconds in the pocket and just make dumb decisions. he got them padded stats bruh.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'd prefer Chris Illusion over their older stuff, but in general I've never been a fan

they had their moment, but so many bands do so much more these days

Christ Illusion is good. I like their older stuff a bit too, but they're definitely overrated. 'Course, I never was a big thrash fan. Rust in Peace is a classic, but Dave tarnished it.

Looks like the Lions will still be on top after this week, unless the Vikings surprise us.

:)jnc)

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't see a progression in Stafford. Thats the part that would trouble me. Wilson and even Hoyer to an extent have progressed. stafford is still decent but doesn't seem to grow, even with a ton of options. I've seen him drop with 5 seconds in the pocket and just make dumb decisions. he got them padded stats bruh.

In 2011 when he was 23 years old Stafford fucked around and dropped 5,000 Yards and 41 TDs with 16 INTs. He has already progressed.

This loss against Buffalo was not his fault. He had a mediocre game but it happens to all the great QBs. Sometimes you need your defense to win you a game, sometimes it needs to be the offense. Special teams and kickers should always be there and we've had a historically bad year in terms of field goals which cost us the Bills game.

I never said he did. I said fans and the media threw Rivers under the bus for a few seasons here and there and most of the time it was through no fault of his own it was the team or circumstances around him. Same thing with Stafford.

Both Stafford and Rivers are franchise QBs you stick with in the long run. Rivers seems to be in his prime right now, but he's been great in the past and had some mediocre seasons. Stafford is only 26 with plenty of time left in his career but he is a franchise QB with talent you can't teach, no doubt about that IMO.

staffords problem is consistency. he has consistency problems because he does not have proper footwork and mechanics. he doesn't always have proper footwork and mechanics because he has an incredible arm and thinks that he can cut corners in areas but still succeed. he can't and no one can over the long term.

stafford needs to fix these things and be consistently sound mechanically before he can make any true noise in the league. maybe the new coaching staff can get to him. otherwise, all he is is a great physical talent who will be exposed by the better defenses in the league

staffords problem is consistency. he has consistency problems because he does not have proper footwork and mechanics. he doesn't always have proper footwork and mechanics because he has an incredible arm and thinks that he can cut corners in areas but still succeed. he can't and no one can over the long term.

stafford needs to fix these things and be consistently sound mechanically before he can make any true noise in the league. maybe the new coaching staff can get to him. otherwise, all he is is a great physical talent who will be exposed by the better defenses in the league

To be fair his footwork while it still can be better has improved. He didn't play well this last game but the bigger culprit(other than the kicking) was the O-Line. I mean this unit was so good last year yet suck balls this year. It could be the lines they went against this year but still they're suppose to be better than this.

To be fair his footwork while it still can be better has improved. He didn't play well this last game but the bigger culprit(other than the kicking) was the O-Line. I mean this unit was so good last year yet suck balls this year. It could be the lines they went against this year but still they're suppose to be better than this.

the only lions games i have really seen this year is about a quarter of the giants game (all i saw him do was chuck up a couple balls in broken coverage) and the panthers game where he didn't look so great. if his footwork and mechanics are improved then that is huge for the lions

Fantomex

You make good points Kas. But they even got MVP, 2 Time Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning working in his footwork, Stafford misses a lot of reads and throws partly because of his mechanics. If he was properly set he wouldn't have to sidearm it and do lob passes when he should be singing it. Marino had horrible injuries, weak offensive lines and no running game,but his mechanics were great. But like FMT said, you can only get away with it for so long. Once Marinos receivers were getting jammed, he dropped off considerably.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Marino had horrible injuries, weak offensive lines and no running game,but his mechanics were great.

Marino has no rings and hides his wedlock kids from his bosses and spouse.

Stafford has at least 10 more years on the field for history to judge him on the football field but I know one thing about my QB and that is he is a man committed and loyal to his family and longtime girlfriend/fiancee Kelly Hall.

Hmmmm maybe drinking 3 cups of coffee in the afternoon isn't that great of an idea

Marino has no rings and who hides his wedlock kids from his bosses and spouse.

Stafford has at least 10 more years on the field for history to judge him but I know one thing about my QB and that is he is a man committed and loyal to his family and longtime girlfriend/fiancee Kelly Hall.

SMH I hope the lions get traded to the CFL

Bread

Banned

curls.0.gif
THIS IS THE EXAMPLE YOU USE!?

Look how much time he had, they even gave him space in the pocket to move into a throw. Stafford had at least 2 targets he could have hit if he decided to throw it instead of being a pussy ass bitch.

Fantomex

Marino has no rings and hides his wedlock kids from his bosses and spouse.

Stafford has at least 10 more years on the field for history to judge him on the football field but I know one thing about my QB and that is he is a man committed and loyal to his family and longtime girlfriend/fiancee Kelly Hall.

Bro, when are you guys getting a ring if you already want to trade Megatron? half of Staffords stats are because of Megatron. Tell Stafford to step his unorthodox throwing motions to this:

http://youtu.be/cPUfQ1SLBfo

THIS IS THE EXAMPLE YOU USE!?

Look how much time he had, they even gave him space in the pocket to move into a throw. Stafford had at least 2 targets he could have hit if he decided to throw it instead of being a pussy ass bitch.

i missed your review of the tim & eric show. please repost it now

RELAYER

Banned
How come every time I drop into this thread there's an ongoing barf-inducing conversation about the greatness of Matt fucking Fatford

Bread

Banned
i missed your review of the tim & eric show. please repost it now

So I saw the T&E live show last night, it was incredible. I'll spoiler the stuff they showed in case some of you guys are going to see the show soon.
They came out as the Cinco Bros and showed a new product, an energy soda for kids (featuring peppermint jack cheese) named Grum Soda. Grum even came out to greet the audience! Then they showed one of the next episodes of Bedtime Stories, the one with Jason Schwartzman. I won't spoil any of it, but it is absolutely hilarious, probably the funniest one yet. It's got some extremely twisted shit in it too, not creepy like Hole, just fucked up. They did a lot of other stuff too but I'm already bored of writing it up, so I'll just stop there.

The show was great, I got myself a Channel 5 and DJ Douggpound shirt.

C+
I'll write about the Dr Steve stuff now since I have nothing better to do.

He came out and showed us slides of him growing up, mostly stuff that has been shown on Check it Out. Then he showed a failed pilot he pitched to Channel 5 called Bag Boy, a sitcom about his work as a bag boy. It was hilariously stupid (or stupidly hilarious?), I was dying the whole time. He called some people on stage to play games such as a failed musical chairs where he didn't take a chair away. All in all it was a great time, they had a bunch of fun call backs to stuff from the show.

I'll write about the Dr Steve stuff now since I have nothing better to do.

He came out and showed us slides of him growing up, mostly stuff that has been shown on Check it Out. Then he showed a failed pilot he pitched to Channel 5 called Bag Boy, a sitcom about his work as a bag boy. It was hilariously stupid (or stupidly hilarious?), I was dying the whole time. He called some people on stage to play games such as a failed musical chairs where he didn't take a chair away. All in all it was a great time, they had a bunch of fun call backs to stuff from the show.

Nice! wish I had seen them in LA :(

Top Bottom