• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

jakncoke

Banned
I just want to say that yoga pants are awesome...so so awesome....

Untill you see a fat chick wearing them, then its

3674612-gag+gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Was convinced I waas leaving my job and losing my girlfriend of 10 years (not to mention my cars calipers freezing up) in the past 6 weeks. 6 13 hour shifts later and a lot of yelling I think I'm through to the clear. Hoping for the best :(

They didn't even play that great. Penalties although questionable in that game have been ridiculous this year. Luckily they were playing the Bungles in prime time.

The encouraging things were- wilfork, collins, and Revis. Mayo is still garbage, Dennard is still a liability, and the pass rush is very questionable.

That's not good, considering the thin depth on the defensive line. At least it wasn't his knee, I suppose.

mehh with glass men like him anything and everythi.ng falls apart.

Zeke

So they a bunch of squickens.
Naw I don't see it as a knock on their allegiance. People are ready to cheer for a team of their OWN. That's what most people here want a team they can call their own. I can't hate on that. SA has always been in the shadow of the other big cities here and they all shit talk SA. Our one thing we could rub in their faces has been the spurs whipping their asses and bringing home rings while the mavs and rockets fail year in and year out. Mavs and rockets get no love in SA (as it should be) put a football team here and watch the city go balls out for them like they do the spurs.

Tom Penny

The encouraging things were- wilfork, collins, and Revis. Mayo is still garbage, Dennard is still a liability, and the pass rush is very questionable.

Mayo is ok. Very overrated. I struggle to come up with big plays he's ever made to be honest. None that I can think of in a big game and that has been a reoccurring theme for the entire defense as a whole the playoffs.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Mayo is ok. Very overrated. I struggle to come up with big plays he's ever made to be honest. None that I can think of in a big game and that has been a reoccurring theme for the entire defense as a whole the playoffs.

He never made huge plays, but a few things of note. The guy was an absolute tackle machine, and it wasn't empty, he was really great at staying in front of the play and moving laterally. He also was really great in the run game. He's always struggled a bit in coverage, but he was still a damn good LB. His tackling seems to have regressed in a major way, maybe it's the lack of game reps the past year, or maybe he's scared to go full stop with that pec muscle. His lateral movement also seems nonexistant to me at the moment, but again he may improve with more reps. Vince looked explosive and strong against the bungles line, which is very encouraging, because he has been a statue all season long.

edit- another thing of note he's under Matt Patricia, one of the most vanilla coordinators in the game. Mayo has really great instincts, and can time up a snap count damn good when they let him go, but it's so rare. He's also fast as hell for his size. If let loose he could've made more impact plays, but that's not how the pats play.

PFT said:
Ndamukong Suh may not be the only top-two pick who could soon be bidding Detroit farewell.

With Suh, the second overall pick in 2010, poised to hit the open market in March, the Lions likewise could decide to tell Calvin Johnson, the second overall pick in 2007, to hit the road at about the same time.

Crazy as it seems, Johnson carries a cap number of $20.558 million into the next league year. While a restructuring that converts, for example, $10 million of his $12.5 million salary into a signing bonus could cut the cap number down to $12.558 million, the maneuver would drive his 2016 cap number of $24 million up to $26 million.

At some point, Johnson may have to take less money in order to stick around. If he doesn’t want to do that, the Lions may have to part ways with him.

Johnson’s health will be a major factor in the final analysis. While he has missed only seven games in seven-plus seasons, Johnson lately seems to be always injured, always either missing practice or limited. And always questionable to play. Currently, he’s dealing with a chronic ankle injury that may cause him to miss a game or two.

No matter good Johnson may be when healthy, at some point the total analysis will point to spending that money elsewhere.

The fact that the Lions seemed to be interested in trading up from No. 10 to get receiver Sammy Watkins or receiver Mike Evans and ultimately decided to use that pick on hybrid tight end/receiver Eric Ebron (who has only eight catches for 80 yards this season) suggests that the Lions are at least considering the wisdom of reallocating their dollars away from a guy who is one of the best receivers in league history when healthy, but who isn’t healthy enough often enough to justify a cap number that shoots from $13 million to more than $20 million in less than six months.

somebody get kas to a safe place

jesus nba 2k15 sounds like a disaster

who would have thought madden would be the better of the two

2K is just as bad in terms of stagnation and bugs (probably worse in that department) with NBA as EA is with Madden but yet somehow escape anywhere near the criticism.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
According to Kas, fatford is the only unmovable (literally, am i right?) piece on the lions roster

Please.

Place him outside of a Chipotle and a Coldstone Creamery in a strip mall somewhere and watch fatboy run.

lol Sparano made the Raiders bury a ball to signify the end of the first 1/4 of the season.

I'm sure junior high football players would appreciate this kind of symbolism.

Bread

Banned
2K is just as bad in terms of stagnation and bugs (probably worse in that department) with NBA as EA is with Madden but yet somehow escape anywhere near the criticism.
what's the last good 2k game? 2k11? it's crazy how little effort they put into the game.

Please.

Place him outside of a Chipotle and a Coldstone Creamery in a strip mall somewhere and watch fatboy run.

I'm sure junior high football players would appreciate this kind of symbolism.

Maybe roll....I don't think he can run?

And Rex did that a few years ago with the jests...so yeah I guess your point stands

Crisco

Banned
Jesus lord, if the Lions are worried about Johnson's nagging injuries, you shut him down for the rest of the year or however long it takes him to get healthy. This is football, everyone gets hurt, even superstars. Calvin Johnson is a once in a forever talent, that combination of size, speed, and athleticism won't happen again. You don't move on from that for any reason, unless he just can't play anymore period. Golden Tate and Ebron don't suck, Stafford has no excuses in that poor division. If the offense goes down the tubes with Johnson, then you'll have no doubt who the real problem is.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Jesus lord, if the Lions are worried about Johnson's nagging injuries, you shut him down for the rest of the year or however long it takes him to get healthy. This is football, everyone gets hurt, even superstars. Calvin Johnson is a once in a forever talent, that combination of size, speed, and athleticism won't happen again. You don't move on from that for any reason, unless he just can't play anymore period. Golden Tate and Ebron don't suck, Stafford has no excuses in that poor division. If the offense goes down the tubes with Johnson, then you'll have no doubt who the real problem is.

My favorite part is how Caldwell is going to continue to play a half broken Calvin Johnson week in and week out instead of letting him heal. Seems reasonable to me!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My favorite part is how Caldwell is going to continue to play a half broken Calvin Johnson week in and week out instead of letting him heal. Seems reasonable to me!

The problem is, similar to Gronk, Calvin is always going to be half broken. His style of play is brutal.

I've liked Caldwell but this has been puzzling. He had no business being in the Jets game, and didn't need to be out there against the Bills. The Vikings are trash, he could sit that game too. That's three weeks...and then you see if he can play against the Saints. I'd prefer to just sit him against the Saints and Falcons, then the next week is the bye. That would be 6 weeks...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I still see Luck and Peyton Manning going head to head for the MVP this year. It's really early in the season though.

Tom Penny

He never made huge plays, but a few things of note. The guy was an absolute tackle machine, and it wasn't empty, he was really great at staying in front of the play and moving laterally. He also was really great in the run game. He's always struggled a bit in coverage, but he was still a damn good LB. His tackling seems to have regressed in a major way, maybe it's the lack of game reps the past year, or maybe he's scared to go full stop with that pec muscle. His lateral movement also seems nonexistant to me at the moment, but again he may improve with more reps. Vince looked explosive and strong against the bungles line, which is very encouraging, because he has been a statue all season long.

edit- another thing of note he's under Matt Patricia, one of the most vanilla coordinators in the game. Mayo has really great instincts, and can time up a snap count damn good when they let him go, but it's so rare. He's also fast as hell for his size. If let loose he could've made more impact plays, but that's not how the pats play.

I still remember when he had like 20 tackles as a rookie I believe in the Jets game then asshole Favre knocked the Pats out of the playoff on some scrabbling 3rd and long play..

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
doesn't help when stafford leaves him to die in the middle of the field with shitty throws

He's just relied on far too much, he's constantly battling through double/triple coverage. Being an athlete like that takes a massive toll on the joints, Not sure how much longer he has as an absolute machine, but we'll see. Randy held up pretty damn good, but he did have pretty much a year off in OAK, and he was a lot more finesse.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I still remember when he had like 20 tackles as a rookie I believe in the Jets game then asshole Favre knocked the Pats out of the playoff on some scrabbling 3rd and long play..

wasn't that through Meriweather though? Meriweather had lined up behind the first down marker and failed to react properly.

Top Bottom