• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

bionic77

I'm not looking at things in a vacuum. The biggest criticism of Ben was that he couldn't win without an elite defense. We have 2 1/4 season of info on him without a monster Steelers D, and this team is a mediocre .500 with Ben. It's not just this season.

The run game should facilitate Ben's game, not dampen it. The less throws he should have to make the better, i'm rewatching the game now, Ben wasn't just inaccurate on throws to Wheaton.

We can blame coaching, play calling, receivers and tight ends all day, bottom line is QB1 has to execute.
He didn't play well but I think you are taking the easy out and focusing too much on the qb.

We were going to lose yesterday no matter who was qb.

You want to focus on the qb but how many qbs are playing better than Ben for the entire season? Everyone is behind Rivers but he was garbage for a year or two and surprise different coach and more talent and he is tearing it up.

I feel like you are watching a different team. Ben is not carrying this team but he certainly is not losing is games. He is playing well but not top 5 and there are plenty of teams who could use him. We just are not good. No qb is going to change that.

Dragon

Banned
Ironic, since you have no problem telling me how I should and should not post.

Honestly if you're going to be obtuse enough not to understand the difference in the two situations, I don't know what to tell you. Take your pills and stop being a jackass, that's all I'm really saying.

I'm pretty sure Merriweather attempts at least one dirty hit per game at minimal.

That's Pro-Bowler Brandon Meriweather to you!

MechDX

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers · 6m6 minutes ago
ICYMI: The #Panthers Week 8 game vs. Seattle will be cross-flexed and will now air on CBS at 1:00 p.m. #SEAvsCAR

I don't understand this cross flexing. Why move games from one network to the other and not for prime time reasons?

He didn't play well but I think you are taking the easy out and focusing too much on the qb.

We were going to lose yesterday no matter who was qb.

You want to focus on the qb but how many qbs are playing better than Ben for the entire season? Everyone is behind Rivers but he was garbage for a year or two and surprise different coach and more talent and he is tearing it up.

I feel like you are watching a different team. Ben is not carrying this team but he certainly is not losing is games. He is playing well but not top 5 and there are plenty of teams who could use him. We just are not good. No qb is going to change that.

I think you're making excuses for him. In 2012 Ben was playing well, then got injured, came back and torpedoed our season. In 2013, he fumbles something like 8 times in the first four games. This season he is very very inconsistent. Looks unbeatable between the 20s and disappears in the redzone.

The Steelers have a ton of problems on both sides of the ball, but we can't act like Ben isn't one of them. Pats fans would have squickened by now if Brady played like this.

So far Steelers have held off on extending him. Do you think they should with the performances he's put in the past few seasons?

Honestly if you're going to be obtuse enough not to understand the difference in the two situations, I don't know what to tell you. Take your pills and stop being a jackass, that's all I'm really saying.

Pats fans and double standards are like Bill Belichick and recording devices.

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers · 6m6 minutes ago
ICYMI: The #Panthers Week 8 game vs. Seattle will be cross-flexed and will now air on CBS at 1:00 p.m. #SEAvsCAR

I don't understand this cross flexing. Why move games from one network to the other and not for prime time reasons?

It's to balance the number of games out I think

cajunator

Banned
You're going to hate next week even more.

10530898_10152727864188605_4025693709263103321_n.jpg

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/10/12/lions-beat-vikings/17156365/

I love this team. We're hitting that perfect window of a young, extremely talented, well coached and a team with comradery. This is our year.

Restore the Roar 2014.

That game could go either way. It really could. I dont have faith in my Saints on the road but I also dont have much confidence in your Lions being consistent from week to week. Its a crapshoot.

The Browns' next three opponents (JAX, OAK, TB) have one single win among them.

After those three, we have Cincy (on a Thursday) and Houston.

And then, Josh Gordon comes back.

Feeling pretty good about the rest of this season. Prettyyyyyy, prettyyyyyy, prettyyyyyy good. Assuming Hoyer stays healthy, which is, of course, a big assumption.

GO BROWNS!
GO SAINTS!

RELAYER

Banned
Panic button being vigorously hit in Atlanta.

Go to Baltimore next week, then "home" game in London
Falcons won't be back in the once sanctified confines of the Dome until almost Thanksgiving.

Panic button?
Dude it's over.
Panic implies a sense of urgency, but after seeing the game yesterday, it flat out looked like the players don't even care anymore.
I'll be shocked if we win another game.

I started the trade Ben talk last year. I'm still on it. The problem is, at this point his stock is dropping. We should have pulled the trigger last year.

Here's the problem. Ben is inconsistent. He's not playing well. Inaccurate yesterday. This is an offense that needs to put up 30+ per game to win because the D is a joke. Ben hasn't ever gotten over Arians being fired. He's never been on the Haley train.

We are at best a mediocre football team. Assuming it takes 2-3 more years, at best, of drafting to make us competitive again, Ben will be mid thirties. If you think you're seeing the beginning of the end now, just wait.

The Steelers held onto Bradshaw too long and passed on Marino. We went a decade of sucking before O'Donnell game managed us out of obscurity. I believe we're headed down the same path unless we cut ties, get some more draft picks and speed up the time table on a rebuild.

bionic77

I think you're making excuses for him. In 2012 Ben was playing well, then got injured, came back and torpedoed our season. In 2013, he fumbles something like 8 times in the first four games. This season he is very very inconsistent. Looks unbeatable between the 20s and disappears in the redzone.

The Steelers have a ton of problems on both sides of the ball, but we can't act like Ben isn't one of them. Pats fans would have squickened by now if Brady played like this.

So far Steelers have held off on extending him. Do you think they should with the performances he's put in the past few seasons?

Pats fans and double standards are like Bill Belichick and recording devices.
Ben has at least 2-3 more years left where he can play at a high level. After that it would depend on his health and I would assume based on how many bad hits he has taken I would go for the under in terms of his career. We should milk him as long as he can play. Don't be one of those fans who look at draft picks and just assume that you can replace everyone in the draft. It takes so much luck to get a franchise qb. We went 30 years between ours as I am sure you remember.

Also when you say Ben is a problem who are you comparing him to? By every metric and to the naked eye he has played well but not great. But still better than most qbs in this league. He can still throw the ball, has good mobility and good accuracy. I wish he and our coaches were more situationally aware but that ain't happenjng anytime soon. We are just a dumb team.

Also the Brady comparison is not a good one, Brady has a very smart coach who can protect his teams weaknesses and find ways to win close games against equally shitty teams. The Steelers have not been able to do that under Tomlin. I don't see us ever being great with him as our head coach. He just isn't good enough. Brady has sucked for 3 years now. But the Pats are smart enough to plan around his weaknesses and play to the teams strengths.

Fantomex

I can't even be mad at Philbin, Ross brought him back. Our owner is stupid. Blame needs to go to him. He's not bringing Harbaugh or Gruden to Miami. Were gonna suck for a long time. Once we finally get a good QB our defense will be horrible again.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If the Steelers clean house, I could see Ben being traded as the new regime may want their own team. How many firsts do you think the Cardinals would give for him?

eznark

Banned
Okay ez, you're always defending him so I want to know, do you honestly think Joe Philbin is a good head coach?

Yeah. That's not a very talented group but he has them playing well. He made some sound adjustments at half and the Dolphins had three straight 80 yard TD drives. It was impressive.

I don't despise the passing at the end of the game, to be honest. He would've been killed by you Dolphins fans for being too conservative if he had just run it and killed their timeouts. Packers defense had put up zero resistance, it was worth a shot.

I hated the time outs at the end, but I don't think he had a choice. The defense was gassed and flustered.

Thing is, if the Dolphins had won you'd be praising Lazor and calling for Philbin's head. I don't take Dolphins fans seriously.

I started the trade Ben talk last year. I'm still on it. The problem is, at this point his stock is dropping. We should have pulled the trigger last year.

Here's the problem. Ben is inconsistent. He's not playing well. Inaccurate yesterday. This is an offense that needs to put up 30+ per game to win because the D is a joke. Ben hasn't ever gotten over Arians being fired. He's never been on the Haley train.

Should've held on to Brian Hoyer, huh?

rando14

You let the Cowboys beat you at home. The cowboys! Any team other than them and I would have just said "meh". But the fucking cowboys!

Some mistakes can never be forgiven

I'm sorry, I have damaged our friendship BUT I will work hard to make it up to you!! :cool:

Bowser

Mike Williams ‏@CaveManMike19 10m10 minutes ago
Chill everybody I'm happy with being a buffalo bill....... I mean come on it's my dream my agent just did what a agent supposed to do ...

Trying to cram the toothpaste back in the tube.

Browns are 3-2!! Seahawks are 3-2!!

Brother!!

Panthers are also 3-2
!!!

cajunator

Banned
You were when they beat you!

Might want to check again. I was happy for them.
Im kind of upset overall due to having bigger expectations for the current Saints team but the Browns have been down a long time and seeing them happy makes me happy. If you are a bitter old steelers fan thats one thing but you have so much to fall back on even recently to remain happy with your teams lot.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm sorry, I have damaged our friendship BUT I will work hard to make it up to you!! :cool:

Mech hates everyone so I wouldn't worry.

2-14 does things to a person.

Mike Williams ‏@CaveManMike19 10m10 minutes ago
Chill everybody I'm happy with being a buffalo bill....... I mean come on it's my dream my agent just did what a agent supposed to do ...

Trying to cram the toothpaste back in the tube.

Panthers are also 3-2
!!!

It's literally nobody's dream to play in Buffalo.

Top Bottom