• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

JABEE

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...d-explains-he-was-depicted-unfairly-in-photo/

d9olSi0.jpg

"Angelo, I never call the radio,” Charlie told Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show on Monday morning. “I just want to be clear. I don’t want to make it look bad for Philadelphia, especially me. I got to live with myself. It was fourth and two, which is an exciting play, the ball was overthrown and I just reacted like we just stopped them, so I was just cheering. As soon as I saw him [Cruz] hurt, we—everyone stopped cheering. I didn’t cheer for that. And honestly, if anyone in the media followed it, they’ll see me go down to my knee—not with the players, but I’m actually, I said a prayer for him as well. It was terrible. I would never do that"
In reality, many callers explained as soon as Cruz was down the stadium went silent and respect was shown for the star Giants wideout. Some Eagles fans even chanted Cruz’s name as he was carted off a midst a respectful applause.
“I don’t know, again,” Charlie said of the NY Daily News’ depiction of the photo and article. “It’s just upsetting to me. That wasn’t me. I’m not cheering that he got hurt.”

It's really messed up that the NY Daily News would do that to some guy who is just some random security guard.

I guess that is their thing to sell papers. Messed up.

Edit: Here is the same security guard a few moments later

d782Dhc.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This Steelers team is frustrating to watch. Not because they lost, but because they're so inconsistent, especially on offense. Steelers should have been up at least 10-0 in the first.

The Steelers were running wild on the Browns in the first quarter, and had nothing but a field goal to show for it. In typical Steelers fashion, their drives stall in the redzone. Any reason why the call is simple off tackle runs? Any D in the league will be ready for that! Throw a bootleg in once in a while.

I don't buy this shrimpy receivers garbage - last year the Steelers tallest receiver was a 6 foot Jerricho Cotchery. un-creative play calling and poor execution. Markus Wheaton still doesn't have the playbook down. Justin Brown drops critical balls. Heath Miller is barely targeted, and can't get open like he used to. Haley needs to get creative to work these receivers free quickly - Ben scrambling around trying to find receivers does not work anymore.

I'm going to say this again - this defense is not good. That said, Cam Thomas is terrible. 2nd quarter on Browns ran right at him. Isaiah Crowell's first TD was due to Cam Thomas getting pushed right into the second level, disrupting the linebackers.

There's also something I don't understand. After the Browns torched the Steelers on opening day on the same play action bootleg throw repeatedly, why didn't Dad put a spy on him?

Ben...if harson is here, can he tell me who I should blame for Ben missing wide open throws all game?

The biggest issue with the defense, imo, is stubbornly sticking to the 'guy with more experience is better' mantra. Troy is done. Thomas sucks. Mitchell can hit, but that's it. Roll out the young guys and see if they sink or swim. The Steelers aren't winning the SB, and I understand wanting to win, but I just don't see how you leave Shamarko and McCullers and Tuitt riding the pine without at least giving them some reps. Heyward couldn't get on the damn field until Ziggy got hurt. There's more talent on the team than it appears, at least give them some reps to prove themselves. I'm not sure if this is on Tomlin or LeBeau.

On offense, I'm going to pin the majority on Haley. I've been reticent to blame him, because I do think he has a creative mind and has implemented a high powered offense. Unfortunately, he's inconsistent and hasn't given the team an identity. Smashing the Browns with the run game, get behind and then abandon it. If you want to be a power run team, then run, run, run, play action. If you want to be a high flying, throw it all over offense, then throw the ball early, get your qb and receivers in a groove and then run the ball as a change of pace. The red zone stuff is pathetic and deserves no commentary.

Yesterday was the first time I was on the fire everybody bandwagon. That effort was unacceptable, and with the Texans, Colts and Ravens coming up, 3-6 is a definite possibility.

bionic77

Wheaton did have a terrible game. As I said I don't think he knows the playbook all the way, or maybe his timing is just off.

That said, i'm sick and tired of excuses being made for Ben. When was the last time Ben took over a game? We've seen washed up Brady do it with JAGs at receiver. Hell, we've seen random QBs style all over the Steelers - just yesterday every duck Hoyer hoisted up was pulled down by a receiver. Is Ben Roethlisberger still a franchise QB? The Steelers are 11-11 in Roethlisberger's last 22 starts.
If you want Ben to take over he has to be given more control and the ability to slang it.

I don't think that would get us many more wins but that is not the direction the team is going in. We are focusing more on the run game and short, quick passes. It looks great when it works but it is a fucking train wreck when one piece is not working.

That said the offense has improved. We have red zone issues but we are moving the ball. I would hope that we could improve the RZ stuff.

I think Ben has actually played pretty well this year too. You can't just look at things in a vacuum and say that Ben has to take over. He has to do better but there is only so much anyone player can do.

Most of my anger is directed at the coaches. We make the same mistakes year after year and lose the same games to shit teams. You can't blame that on the players or GM. That is right on Tomlin's beautiful shoulders. I am sick of him at this point.

SeanR1221

If you want Ben to take over he has to be given more control and the ability to slang it.

I don't think that would get us many more wins but that is not the direction the team is going in. We are focusing more on the run game and short, quick passes. It looks great when it works but it is a fucking train wreck when one piece is not working.

That said the offense has improved. We have red zone issues but we are moving the ball. I would hope that we could improve the RZ stuff.

I think Ben has actually played pretty well this year too. You can't just look at things in a vacuum and say that Ben has to take over. He has to do better but there is only so much anyone player can do.

Most of my anger is directed at the coaches. We make the same mistakes year after year and lose the same games to shit teams. You can't blame that on the players or GM. That is right on Tomlin's beautiful shoulders. I am sick of him at this point.
I'm not looking at things in a vacuum. The biggest criticism of Ben was that he couldn't win without an elite defense. We have 2 1/4 season of info on him without a monster Steelers D, and this team is a mediocre .500 with Ben. It's not just this season.

The run game should facilitate Ben's game, not dampen it. The less throws he should have to make the better, i'm rewatching the game now, Ben wasn't just inaccurate on throws to Wheaton.

We can blame coaching, play calling, receivers and tight ends all day, bottom line is QB1 has to execute.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So they were bad on third down because they were bad on third down and that somehow skews the stats.

OK!

Our offensive line putting us in numerous 3rd and 20 situations whether through sacks or penalties is obviously going to make the whole offenses job harder to convert a first down.

This happened time and time again, but a divisional road game W is all that counts.

eznark

Banned
Offensive line is part of the offense frienderino

What does Luck being so high in EPA, but relatively low in WPA tell me?

EPA is total production while WPA is win expectancy. Basically it means that Luck is maybe underperforming on third down or something or that his stats in basically 2.5 games are totally thrown out because they were blow outs. You can make whatever narrative you want!

Also I don't know his third down, close game, 4th quarter etc. stats.

Crisco

Banned
Couple thought on the Panthers game:

-Fernando Velasco should start at LG. After Silatolu got hurt on the first series, the offensive line had it's best performance of the year. Sure, some of that was Cam moving around better, but those guys were blocking well upfront.

-the WR corp may be more reliable getting open and catching the ball than last year's group, but no one we put out there does much after the catch. That will eventually become part of KB's game as he gets stronger and can run through tackles, but otherwise it's a group of mostly possession receivers.

-we have to try someone else at safety. Get Boston on the field and put Godfrey back there with him, play more 4-3 until Benwikere get's back. Long running TDs are only possible due to poor safety play, get those bums off the field.

gutshot

Geoff Mosher @GeoffMosherCSN
What I'm hearing on Darren Sproles: Not out for the year, but probably out a few weeks. There was fear it was an ACL tear, but it's not.

Good news. Feel like the Eagles have been somewhat lucky to continually be avoiding season ending injuries.

Striker

Skip is just burying Stephen A on First Take about the Cowboys
Week to week basis. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Giants went into Dallas and won. I worry about the weapons they have receiving - sure there's Beckham, but if he's doubled, there's Rueben Randle, Preston Parker, Daniel Fells, and Larry Donnell (who is at possession TE at best). I would like to move Corey Washington up, might as well see what you got. Use OBJ in the slot if need be, use Randle and Washington outside. Likely we will see Parker in the slot though.

Also: “In this league, you can’t take days off. You can’t take them off,” Rolle said. “We took (Sunday) off. Everyone took the day off.” - Antrel Rolle

Excuses. This defense has so many talkers it's pathetic.

Miami runs the ball on 3 and 9, doesn't eat up the clock, and calls unncessary timeouts.

Philbin cost us the game. We would've beat the Packers if it wasn't for his incompetence.

Tom Penny

Ben can't throw a ton and win consistently. He's not good enough. Old news mang.

xnipx

Pretty damning gifs. But as stated when I posted Vines of Watt being held, choked and blatantly tripped: happens every game and some gets called and some doesn't.

Cheating and deliberately trying to injure someone are two different things

But I'm not going to sit here and act like dirty shit like that doesn't happen in every game. The fact of the matter is football is a rough game surrounded by a gladiator-like, winner takes all culture.

Guys are always trying to do whatever they can get away with to get an edge. Burfict just happened to not get away with it.

eznark

Banned
You know the Packers don't want any part of Derek Anderson in Lambeau.

With the unexpected Dolphins win I'm not terribly concerned about the Panthers game. I'm telling myself this so that when Scam read options his way to 750 yards I won't be too upset.

Top Bottom