• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Shit. I would take Ben in a heartbeat.

Instant contenders.
I would trade him to you today so he could suit up against us next week. A 1st and a 3rd?

Bionic - no, you can't replace everyone in the draft. However, what's the use of going 8-8 with Ben for a couple more seasons?

And I agree that Tomlin isn't a good head coach. I still maintain that he won with Cowher's team. Haley is somehow worse than Arians which is baffling.

Who is making the play calls in Miami? Is it Bill Lazor?

Apparently, Philbin was pissed at Coyle for not going for it to end the half, guess philbin just stands there. They all need to go.

Yeah. That's not a very talented group but he has them playing well. He made some sound adjustments at half and the Dolphins had three straight 80 yard TD drives. It was impressive.

I don't despise the passing at the end of the game, to be honest. He would've been killed by you Dolphins fans for being too conservative if he had just run it and killed their timeouts. Packers defense had put up zero resistance, it was worth a shot.

I hated the time outs at the end, but I don't think he had a choice. The defense was gassed and flustered.

Thing is, if the Dolphins had won you'd be praising Lazor and calling for Philbin's head. I don't take Dolphins fans seriously.

lol sorry but no this team is talented and philbin doesn't 'know what the fuck he's doing. They should have fired his ass last year.

Bowser

Matt Vensel ‏@mattvensel 20m20 minutes ago
Per @PFF, #Vikings QBs have a 40.9 passer rating and have thrown zero touchdowns and four picks when targeting Cordarrelle Patterson.

Is Patterson just not a good route runner or not getting open? Or is this more of a function of Vikes QBs just being generally terrible?

Apparently, Philbin was pissed at Coyle for not going for it to end the half, guess philbin just stands there. They all need to go.

lol sorry but no this team is talented and philbin doesn't 'know what the fuck he's doing. They should have fired his ass last year.

#FirePhilbin

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm gonna pull a Kas.

Guys if the playoffs started today!

The Browns still wouldn't be in it but they're only a half game out!

giuliana-rancic-baby-son-bill-rancic-1.gif

Doomsayer

Yeah. That's not a very talented group but he has them playing well. He made some sound adjustments at half and the Dolphins had three straight 80 yard TD drives. It was impressive.

I don't despise the passing at the end of the game, to be honest. He would've been killed by you Dolphins fans for being too conservative if he had just run it and killed their timeouts. Packers defense had put up zero resistance, it was worth a shot.

I hated the time outs at the end, but I don't think he had a choice. The defense was gassed and flustered.

Thing is, if the Dolphins had won you'd be praising Lazor and calling for Philbin's head. I don't take Dolphins fans seriously.

I agree with this, Dolphin fans.

I actually think the biggest mistake was Tannehill throwing the ball way and stopping the clock. I think, in that situation, you take the sack and make them waste a timeout. It was probably a terrible playcall, but he compounded it by stopping the clock.

The run on third down was, in my opinion, the right call. Make them burn the last time out and lean on your defense who had played well the entire 58 minutes prior. Tough loss though.

cajunator

Banned

I agree. Theres a lot of potential there being squandered.

Matt Vensel ‏@mattvensel 20m20 minutes ago
Per @PFF, #Vikings QBs have a 40.9 passer rating and have thrown zero touchdowns and four picks when targeting Cordarrelle Patterson.

Is Patterson just not a good route runner or not getting open? Or is this more of a function of Vikes QBs just being generally terrible?
Whynotboth.gif

bionic77

I would trade him to you today so he could suit up against us next week. A 1st and a 3rd?

Bionic - no, you can't replace everyone in the draft. However, what's the use of going 8-8 with Ben for a couple more seasons?

And I agree that Tomlin isn't a good head coach. I still maintain that he won with Cowher's team. Haley is somehow worse than Arians which is baffling.
Arians have proven that he is a good coach.

I am not in favor of 8-8. I just don't think we can win with Tomlin. If things are bad now I can't imagine how much worse they will get if he has to develop a green qb. We will be Tampa Bay North.

I am not beholden to anyone and I and everyone else would trade my qb for Luck. But those guys are rarer than a women who is attracted to Gata. We would more likely end up with a Dalton or worse. A flawed player who would fail miserably because our coach and his staff would not be able to prepare him.

I hate 8-8 but that is still better than being the Browns.

It all starts with the coach. Ours is not good. Question is how long will it take management to figure that out?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

I'll never understand the mentality that anyone could coach a team to an Owl. It's just not true. Tomlin was an integral part of two SB teams, like it or not. But, as I've said repeatedly, he's a motivational guy, not a great gameday coach. We can bitch and moan about it, but even if Tomlin is fired, the Rooney's are going to hire another coach just like him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So officially:

Alex Mack done for the season with a broken fibula.

Armonty Bryant done for the year with a partial MCL tear.

Jarnet87

What a time to be a Bucs fan. getting outscored like a division 2 college program and setting new record lows. I'm going to the game in 2 weeks against Minnesota, no idea why I agreed to go lol. Since it's the Halloween game I wonder if a costume is in order. perhaps the classic paper bag, maybe those bio suits, or maybe as a sign that says "bring back "schiano"

eznark

Banned

Really? Where? Tannehill was a whisker away from a 1td/3int blowout loss at home to a mediocre team. Grimes is the only not-awful player in the secondary. The defensive line is solid but the linebackers are mediocre at best. Wallace is lazy and unreliable. Do you have tight ends? Clay's 2013 looks more like a fluke every week. The running backs are fine, but the league worst rushing defense held them to 2.9 ypc. If it weren't for Wheels Tannehill the running game was essentially nonexistent.

It's a poor roster with a really good defensive line.

First off, no need to group "you Dolphins fans." I have my own opinions and those are the only ones I'll defend. Every team has idiotic fans.

I'm fine with the passing at the end of the game. I have no issue with it because it's playing to win the game and they tried a run and only got a yard. Packers starting CB's are out so by all means pass the ball and win the game. The thing is, they ran the ball on third and long and had to punt. Philbin talked about how all of the coaches had decided to be aggressive in that situation should it come up yet they took the cowardly way out and had to punt. It was a stupid decision. Maybe it was partially on Lazor but either way it was a dumb decision and the head coach needs to take some responsibility.

I was excited about Lazor before the season started but I've criticized him throughout the year for what I believe he has control over. He has called some bad plays from time to time without a doubt but the jury is still out on him as an OC.

Philbin sucks at clock management. Calling those two TO's on the last drive was boneheaded.

Philbin is a pretty smart football guy but he's not a leader. Look at the bullying scandal, look at the collapse last year, look at how the Dolphins have sucked getting off to good starts. Most importantly, look at what he has led the team to in his time here. Nothing.

This is a tough game to play because you can put the blame on whoever you want and attribute the success to whoever you want. However, regardless of what you think about the roster's talent, the FO, or the assistant coaches Philbin is responsible for whether or not the team produces, and under him they ultimately have not.

I'm not saying to fire the guy, I'm fine with him finishing this season and seeing what happens. I supported him and Tannehill much longer than most Dolphins fans but at some point you have to face the music. Philbin has shown nothing that makes me think he can lead a team successfully as a head coach.

eznark

Banned
Philbin is a pretty smart football guy but he's not a leader. Look at the bullying scandal, look at the collapse last year, look at how the Dolphins have sucked getting off to good starts. Most importantly, look at what he has led the team to in his time here. Nothing.

So, who should replace him? Harbaugh has about 10000x more talent in San Fran and hasn't won shit with it. Why do you think he'll win with Miami? A leader? Know who is rah rah as fuck? Nick Saban....oh, hm.

Let's see, unproven coach du jour unproven coach du jour.....Charlie Strong! Yeah, Charlie Strong will fix our woes!

Really? Where? Tannehill was a whisker away from a 1td/3int blowout loss at home to a mediocre team. Grimes is the only not-awful player in the secondary. The defensive line is solid but the linebackers are mediocre at best. Wallace is lazy and unreliable. Do you have tight ends? Clay's 2013 looks more like a fluke every week. The running backs are fine, but the league worst rushing defense held them to 2.9 ypc. If it weren't for Wheels Tannehill the running game was essentially nonexistent.

It's a poor roster with a really good defensive line.

Outside of our D-line

Hartline
Miller
Pouncey
Albert
Jones
Misi
Moreno

I agree with you on Clay and Wallace

Hunter S.

Don't we all
Not all, in no particular talent order
1. Chargers
2.Broncos
3. Baltimore
4. Seattle
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland
7. Philly
8.Indianapolis

Dallas has too much of a love hate thing for their team and QB to be on my list. Patriots fans are Europeans and Canadians so they do not count.

So, who should replace him?
How he hell would I know? The ultimate problem is Ross so they'll get some idiot regardless, but I personally think the roster right now is good enough to at least make the playoffs and Philbin can't do it. He's not a leader, you can tell it just by watching him on the sideline or giving an awkward and forced speech in the locker room.

For the record, I think Philbin has been a slightly below average to average head coach. Should I settle for that or desire for my team to get someone better? Not everyone has Aaron Rodgers to compensate for their dumb head coach.

Might want to check again. I was happy for them.
Im kind of upset overall due to having bigger expectations for the current Saints team but the Browns have been down a long time and seeing them happy makes me happy. If you are a bitter old steelers fan thats one thing but you have so much to fall back on even recently to remain happy with your teams lot.

Eh, I just took a stab in the dark. Can't remember the last time you were actually mad at anything.

I'll never understand the mentality that anyone could coach a team to an Owl. It's just not true. Tomlin was an integral part of two SB teams, like it or not. But, as I've said repeatedly, he's a motivational guy, not a great gameday coach. We can bitch and moan about it, but even if Tomlin is fired, the Rooney's are going to hire another coach just like him.

This. Nobody was saying anything when the Steelers had the Browns at minus 1 yards rushing in the first.

eznark

Banned
Outside of our D-line

Hartline
Miller
Pouncey
Albert
Jones
Misi
Moreno

I agree with you on Clay and Wallace

Hartline and Misi are like the definition of replacement level. Albert looked shockingly pedestrian yesterday. Did Jones play? I've been impressed with him in the past but lord I don't think a safety had a positive play for Miami that entire game. Pouncey...c'mon, is talent useful if you can't get on the field? In a kind of big indictment of him, Letroy Guion had his first impact game of the season yesterday. That was Pouncey's first start, right?

eznark

Banned
How he hell would I know? The ultimate problem is Ross so they'll get some idiot regardless, but I personally think the roster right now is good enough to at least make the playoffs and Philbin can't do it. He's not a leader, you can tell it just by watching him on the sideline or giving an awkward and forced speech in the locker room.

For the record, I think Philbin has been a slightly below average to average head coach. Should I settle for that or desire for my team to get someone better? Not everyone has Aaron Rodgers to compensate for their dumb head coach.

It's a ludicrously low bar, but Philbin is the best head coach the Dolphins have had in 13 years...during which they have had EIGHT COACHES. Point me another successful organization, in any industry in the entire world, where the head coach or plant manager or COO or principal is replaced every 18 months.

It's baffling to me that an organization that has been so pathetically moribund for so long demands playoff success in one year or GTFO. Maybe that's part of the problem?

JABEE

One of the things I'm most excited about is the way that the Eagles front 7 is improving this season. Even in the San Francisco game and St. Louis game, they have been getting tons of pressure on the quarterback. Cox has been having a great season and our backers are finally getting to the quarterback. My biggest concern is still Nate Allen and our corners.

The Eagles look like they are taking a step forward in that part of the defensive game. Vinny Curry, Connor Barwin, and Brandon Graham are finally contributing to the pass rush. Exciting time to be an Eagles fan.

It's a ludicrously low bar, but Philbin is the best head coach the Dolphins have had in 13 years...during which they have had EIGHT COACHES. Point me another successful organization, in any industry in the entire world, where the head coach or plant manager or COO or principal is replaced every 18 months.

It's baffling to me that an organization that has been so pathetically moribund for so long demands playoff success in one year or GTFO. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Well why should anyone be ok with 7 wins every year? Lets not forget that they got embarrassed in the final two weeks of the season against two bad teams with the playoffs on the line. That doesn't fall on Philbin at all?

I don't know if there is any point in firing him now but is zero reason to keep him after the season.

eznark

Banned
Well why should anyone be ok with 7 wins every year? Lets not forget that they got embarrassed in the final two weeks of the season against two bad teams with the playoffs on the line. That doesn't fall on Philbin at all?

I don't know if there is any point in firing him now but is zero reason to keep him after the season.

That's a 6-8 win roster. Let's all be shocked that Philbin can't juice out 12 wins. Hell as far as I am concerned I hope he is fired. I'd pay him top dollah to come home and spend time with winners.

Also the Brady comparison is not a good one, Brady has a very smart coach who can protect his teams weaknesses and find ways to win close games against equally shitty teams. The Steelers have not been able to do that under Tomlin. I don't see us ever being great with him as our head coach. He just isn't good enough. Brady has sucked for 3 years now. But the Pats are smart enough to plan around his weaknesses and play to the teams strengths.

What are this offenses weaknesses? Ben can make all the throws, They rack up a ton of yards, and have the number 2 WR and RB In the whole league. They should be a top 5 offense.

In one year? Was I calling for Philbin to be fired after year one?

Yeah, the Dolphins have had a lot of garbage head coaches but why does that mean I should be happy with a mediocre one? I hate this mindset that fans of sucky teams should settle for mediocrity. Screw that, I'm not going to live forever and I would like to see this team be relevant before I'm dead.

How many years of not making the playoffs do you think Philbin should get based on the magical unmeasurable feeling you have that he's a good coach? Hell, even the bad roster comment is an easy out, a bad coach will make a good roster look bad. The one standard we know we can measure coaches on is winning and losing and Philbin is in year three of failing at that.

But, like I said, I'm okay with playing this year out. I don't like the idea of interim head coaches, better to give Philbin a full final season to see if he can turn it around.

One of the things I'm most excited about is the way that the Eagles front 7 is improving this season. Even in the San Francisco game and St. Louis game, they have been getting tons of pressure on the quarterback. Cox has been having a great season and our backers are finally getting to the quarterback. My biggest concern is still Nate Allen and our corners.

The Eagles look like they are taking a step forward in that part of the defensive game. Vinny Curry, Connor Barwin, and Brandon Graham are finally contributing to the pass rush. Exciting time to be an Eagles fan.

If Davis had just played Graham and Curry from the start last year the D would have been much better. Graham is playing great, if Cole wasnt doing so well Graham would already be the starter. I cant believe how well he has transitioned to OLB. The secondary is a totaly fucking disaster but if the front 7 can keep getting pressure it wont matter if they cant cover.

Plus Kendricks, maybe the best player on defense, has been out. They look like Jim Johnson era defense up front.

Hartline and Misi are like the definition of replacement level. Albert looked shockingly pedestrian yesterday. Did Jones play? I've been impressed with him in the past but lord I don't think a safety had a positive play for Miami that entire game. Pouncey...c'mon, is talent useful if you can't get on the field? In a kind of big indictment of him, Letroy Guion had his first impact game of the season yesterday. That was Pouncey's first start, right?

Pouncey has only missed these first four games in his carry don't think we can really hold that against him oh and I forgot to include Jordan although he's part of the dline so he doesn't count. Jones should have played not sure if he was limited or not. I think Hartline is extremely under rated, he's had a down year but I'm not about to write him off, because he's been our best and most dependable WR for years. I want to make it clear that I'm not just blaming Philbin though, I'm blaming everyone. Coordinators and players too, the team as a whole needs to be blown up from GM on down.

Edit: wish I could discuses this more but I'm about to head out to meetings all day, I'm with Darkest though, just ride out the season with Philbin but I know where we are going and this team will be blown up after this year.

In one year? Was I calling for Philbin to be fired after year one?

Yeah, the Dolphins have had a lot of garbage head coaches but why does that mean I should be happy with a mediocre one? I hate this mindset that fans of sucky teams should settle for mediocrity. Screw that, I'm not going to live forever and I would like to see this team be relevant before I'm dead.

How many years of not making the playoffs do you think Philbin should get based on the magical unmeasurable feeling you have that he's a good coach? Hell, even the bad roster comment is an easy out, a bad coach will make a good roster look bad. The one standard we know we can measure coaches on is winning and losing and Philbin is in year three of failing at that.

But, like I said, I'm okay with playing this year out. I don't like the idea of interim head coaches, better to give Philbin a full final season to see if he can turn it around.

Tannehill sucks ass bro.

Top Bottom