• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Fox318

cEHYZpY.jpg
qWpoBvH.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Please put Philbin on a plane back to Green Bay to help Rodgers prepare for gameday wherein he'll call all the plays anyway.

Thanks.

eznark

Banned
In one year? Was I calling for Philbin to be fired after year one?

Yeah, the Dolphins have had a lot of garbage head coaches but why does that mean I should be happy with a mediocre one? I hate this mindset that fans of sucky teams should settle for mediocrity. Screw that, I'm not going to live forever and I would like to see this team be relevant before I'm dead.

How many years of not making the playoffs do you think Philbin should get based on the magical unmeasurable feeling you have that he's a good coach? Hell, even the bad roster comment is an easy out, a bad coach will make a good roster look bad. The one standard we know we can measure coaches on is winning and losing and Philbin is in year three of failing at that.

But, like I said, I'm okay with playing this year out. I don't like the idea of interim head coaches, better to give Philbin a full final season to see if he can turn it around.

I like that my feeling of him being a good coach based on the shit hand he has been dealt is "magical" while your rock hard science fact is "erm, he is a bad leader"

Fantomex

It's a ludicrously low bar, but Philbin is the best head coach the Dolphins have had in 13 years...during which they have had EIGHT COACHES. Point me another successful organization, in any industry in the entire world, where the head coach or plant manager or COO or principal is replaced every 18 months.

It's baffling to me that an organization that has been so pathetically moribund for so long demands playoff success in one year or GTFO. Maybe that's part of the problem?

All i need to know. As horrible as Sparano is, he took a 1-15 to the playoffs the following year. I don't know how on Gods green earth you think this is a good coach:

• Signed Mike Wallace
  • Drafted a WR to be a Franchise QB
  • No Knowledge of Locker Room Bullying
  • On Record saying how impressed he was with Incognito's leadership skills
  • Released Reggie Bush
  • Thought a QB controversy would be good, knowing Matt Moore is the back up

Whether you want to place the personnel drafts/signings on Ireland, that still leaves you with all the bad calls he makes in game. The Bullying thing is completely on him, the QB controversy totally on him, the supposed rumblings that he has now lost the locker room is totally on him. Philbin is a Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel type. Great coordinator, poor leader. This is his third year.

Also, does it not look bad on the coaching when your team in 2013 beats the Colts, Bengals, Chargers, and Patriots, but loses to the Bills (twice!), Bucs, and Jets? That kind of inconsistency has to fall on the head coach to some degree.

The talent is there for this team to go 9-7, especially in that division.

I would give coaches taking over bad teams three years minimum.

I think a good coach will be able to make his mark immediately. If you give say Jim Harbaugh the redskins or Bucs roster he'd probably be able to squeeze at least 6 or 7 wins out of them at a minimum. There's no excuse for going like 2-14 or 3-13 in this day and age that probably just means you have a bad coach (I'm looking at you, Jay Gruden)

eznark

Banned
Hahahaha, that's a new one. Using wins over good teams as a cudgel because he lost to a few bad teams.

You guys deserve your franchise. I'll leave you to it.

All i need to know. As horrible as Sparano is, he took a 1-15 to the playoffs the following year. I don't know how on Gods green earth you think this is a good coach:

• Signed Mike Wallace
  • Drafted a WR to be a Franchise QB
  • No Knowledge of Locker Room Bullying
  • On Record saying how impressed he was with Incognito's leadership skills
  • Released Reggie Bush
  • Thought a QB controversy would be good, knowing Matt Moore is the back up

Whether you want to place the personnel drafts/signings on Ireland, that still leaves you with all the bad calls he makes in game. The Bullying thing is completely on him, the QB controversy totally on him, the supposed rumblings that he has now lost the locker room is totally on him. Philbin is a Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel type. Great coordinator, poor leader. This is his third year.

Uh.......

Hahahaha, that's a new one. Using wins over good teams as a cudgel because he lost to a few bad teams.

You guys deserve your franchise. I'll leave you to it.
It shows the talent is there to beat good teams yet they aren't bothered to show up against the Bucs or Thad Lewis led Bills. At least some of that blame falls on your golden boy.

If you honestly think Philbin is a good leader after watching him in action for 2.5 or so years... just :jnc.

Philbin is incapable of getting the best out of his players on an even semi-regular basis, period.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Also, does it not look bad on the coaching when your team in 2013 beats the Colts, Bengals, Chargers, and Patriots, but loses to the Bills (twice!), Bucs, and Jets? That kind of inconsistency has to fall on the head coach to some degree.

The talent is there for this team to go 9-7, especially in that division.

Three losses to division opponents isn't that absurd. Those games can often go either way.

eznark

Banned
It shows the talent is there to beat good teams yet they aren't bothered to show up against the Bucs or Thad Lewis led Bills. At least some of that blame falls on your golden boy.

If you honestly think Philbin is a good leader after watching him in action for 2.5 or so years... just :jnc.

Philbin is incapable of getting the best out of his players on an even semi-regular basis, period.

I...don't care if he is a "good leader"

Fantomex

Packer fans think Philbin is the spirit of Vince Lombardi himself. Just llike the Patsies thought about Weis before he proceeded to fail everywhere he went. He will be home next year fellas. Making all of Rodgers dreams come true.

eznark

Banned
"Leadership isn't important in a job where you lead a football team."

-eznark

The way you seem to be using leadership...yeah, no it isn't. McCarthy isn't rah rah, Belicheat isn't rah rah. They scout and scheme and put the talent in place to be successful. Leadership is more useful coming from the field. It's why guys like Reggie White and Rodgers and Brady are more valuable than their measurables. They take the leadership role.

It can be awesome, it's by no means a bad thing, But it's also not a pre-requisite.

Crisco

Banned
I think a good coach will be able to make his mark immediately. If you give say Jim Harbaugh the redskins or Bucs roster he'd probably be able to squeeze at least 6 or 7 wins out of them at a minimum. There's no excuse for going like 2-14 or 3-13 in this day and age that probably just means you have a bad coach (I'm looking at you, Jay Gruden)

The only excuse is if you have really bad QB play, but then that's also your fault for thinking the guy could play in the first place (McCown). Injury to a starting QB basically gives you a mulligan for the season.

Afrikan

from our forum.

HeftyQuarterlyJerboa.0.gif

Gore usually performs well in primetime, against the Rams as well. They'll probably stack the box like usual...and if Gore gets to the second level.... trouble.

eznark

Banned
The only excuse is if you have really bad QB play, but then that's also your fault for thinking the guy could play in the first place (McCown). Injury to a starting QB basically gives you a mulligan for the season.

I would be interested to know how much say Philbin has in personnel decisions, I wasn't being snarky to Fantomex, it would legitimately change my view on him if he made all those shitty talent evaluations.

Beau Allen cracks me up. He also occupied 3 offensive lineman during that final sack on Nassib.
Yeah he was a monster in the game. If he can keep playiong like this it will be such a huge boost for the D.

Dang. Rex's days are numbered.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if they go 1-15. I really hope that Idzik's plan to undercut Rex and get him fired blows up in his face and he gets canned as well.

Fantomex

He was the leading receiver at Texas A&M his Freshman and Sophomore season. After falling to third on the depth chart each year during the QB competition under Mike Sherman. He started as QB his junior year. That's pretty much his experience as a Quarterback at the college level.

gutshot

Chip Kelly even likes to go hurry-up when taking team photos:

"We had to get a good photo, which was first and foremost. We set record, four minutes and forty seconds. We got everybody -- the entire team, every position group, the coaches, and the training staff done in four minutes and forty seconds. The was the most eff... literally, I'm not even joking, it was the most efficient photo I've ever seen. Our guys were, it was like, there were guys dressed in their full uniform, and we had our meeting at 9:30. They were just ready to go, and we knew what we wanted to get done. We started at 10:00, and I looked at my watch at 10:04:40, we were done everything, which was awesome."

"It was tempo. It was as good a tempo, and I would challenge anybody, and I'm talking... We got our team photo done, we got our individual position coaches and players done at their positions, we got our coaching staff photo done, and we got our training staff photo done in four minutes and forty seconds. It was awesome."

"We had to coach the photographers a little bit because they were... they wanted to... one of the guys thought he was Ansel Adams. We said 'Let's get this thing taken and let's go,' you know what I mean? It's not like it's going to be hanging in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It's going to go in someone's office somewhere, so let's just get it done."

The way you seem to be using leadership...yeah, no it isn't. McCarthy isn't rah rah, Belicheat isn't rah rah. They scout and scheme and put the talent in place to be successful. Leadership is more useful coming from the field. It's why guys like Reggie White and Rodgers and Brady are more valuable than their measurables. They take the leadership role.

It can be awesome, it's by no means a bad thing, But it's also not a pre-requisite.
I'm not saying they have to be a cheerleader. Belichick has gotten the best out of trash-tier players for years and years, it's what he does best. He leads his roster to its full potential which Philbin has not been able to do, at least in my opinion. Leadership is a lot more than being loud and vocal, it's about earning respect and making guys want to play at their full potential for you. Philbin doesn't have it.

Also, I don't think Philbin has done a good job of scheming and putting the talent in place to be successful. It's why you see stuff like the slow starts, the bad second halves (last season), dropping key games at the end of a season, bad clock management, etc.

One more thing, will anyone who isn't a Packers fan defend this guy?

Fantomex

I would be interested to know how much say Philbin has in personnel decisions, I wasn't being snarky to Fantomex, it would legitimately change my view on him if he made all those shitty talent evaluations.

From watching Hard Knocks and reading all the beat writers for the last 4 years. It seems Ireland and Philbin had 50/50. Then whoever cried louder to the ownership would get that person signed/drafted. Then sometimes out of spite, Ireland would let Philbin draft someone who sucked just so he could say " I told you so". It was a very toxic relationship. The only two that I know of that were completely on him were Wallace and Tannehill. Sherman and Philbin vouched heavily for him to be drafted. With Wallace, Philbin is quoted as saying it was a faster version of Greg Jennings which is true I guess lol

eznark

Banned
From watching Hard Knocks and reading all the beat writers for the last 4 years. It seems Ireland and Philbin had 50/50. Then whoever cried louder to the ownership would get that person signed/drafted. Then sometimes out of spite, Ireland would let Philbin draft someone who sucked just so he could say " I told you so". It was a very toxic relationship. The only two that I know of that were completely on him were Wallace and Tannehill. Sherman and Philbin vouched heavily for him to be drafted. With Wallace, Philbin is quoted as saying it was a faster version of Greg Jennings which is true I guess lol

You actually believe this, don't you?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

It couldn't have been too much because I remember Jeff Ireland being the "cancer" that plagued the Dolphins in the past few years.

Spinluck

How the fuck did Tannehill make the transition from WR to QB?

I don't think he's that bad though. He's the second best QB in his division. Tammy and Orton aren't slouches!

Salguero on Twitter:

LOLOLOL

Good thing head coaches don't need to be leaders!

Jesus christ why would you come out and admit that you fucked up like that. Either you pass on both downs to try and get the 1st, or you run on both to eat up TO's and time. You cant do both. He really should just be fired and hope that whoever else comes in can do basic football things.

Colasante

Patriots should trade for Arthur Brown, since the Ravens don't seem to have any use for him. I wonder if he'd be worth more than a 6th rounder.

Dan Salomone ‏@NYGsalomone 10m10 minutes ago
Coughlin says both WR Victor Cruz (torn patellar tendon) and CB Trumaine McBride (thumb) will require surgery.

McBride replaced Walter Thurmond as the slot corner. With DRC out now with back issues, Bowman will move outside and I'd imagine they'll grab someone from the practice squad to take over inside duties.

Can't be worse than the way things have looked on defense WITH those guys so....

Top Bottom