• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Colasante

460x.jpg

Terrible news. I hope he's back next season, but his cap hit is pretty high next season for someone coming off such a serious injury.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
460x.jpg

Terrible news. I hope he's back next season, but his cap hit is pretty high next season for someone coming off such a serious injury.

And for somebody whose body has been fragile since year 1... on top of that he had lost the majority of his lateral movement. Both him and Ridley in all likely hood just played their final snaps as patriots.

Tom Penny

460x.jpg

He's gone or taking a massive restructure if that is even possible. Ridley will have no market so might somehow wind up back getting offered peanuts but unlikely.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
What I'm looking for from the niners tonight:

1. An offensive line that shows some signs of being able to create a pocket on passing plays. They haven't been able to do this all year and, if they can't establish a pocket, the chances for long term success are minimal. Especially against the Rams who have like 1 sack the entire year. If Kaep is running for his life all game and sacked like 4 times that is a really, really bad sign.

2. Pass rush. Please. Someone show me that we can actually pressure a QB. Again, something that hasn't happened all year and needs to show improvement.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He's gone or taking a massive restructure if that is even possible. Ridley will have no market so might somehow wind up back getting offered peanuts but unlikely.

Really what would be the point? He was solid a few years back, with stretches where he looked like a top 10 back. The fumbling issues, weren't his only problem though.

Is Fisher going to be as dumb as KC defense who couldn't figure out SF likes to run to the Left or Middle?

Last week 49ers ran 2 times to the right.
28 RB runs. Only 2 were not middle or left.

Colasante

I can see Mayo being willing to restructure or take a pay cut to stay. He's one of Belichick's favorites, to the point that he used to be called Jerod Belichick and Bill Jr. and he's still the leader of the defense. I hope they work something out.

Really what would be the point? He was solid a few years back, with stretches where he looked like a top 10 back. The fumbling issues, weren't his only problem though.

He's a quality running back who knows the system well. There's no reason not to bring him back if he's willing to take an affordable contract to rehabilitate his value. I think they'll likely move on to the younger guys, but I don't see why resigning Ridley would be a bad move if it's for the right price.

Farooq

Banned
I hope for the sake of Farooq that this Dallas team isn't waiting to turn back into pumpkins.

As an outsider with no skin in the game as far as Dallas is concerned, I always hear warning sirens when a defense is playing beyond themselves. Will it hold up? Or will they come back down to Earth and then the games fall back on Romo's shoulders and Murray's legs? I don't have the answers. I can't really tell who they are.

Lost to the 9ers and beat up on some mediocre to poor squads, then beat a good team in Seattle. I'm leaning towards the idea that the offense will be good and consistent, but the defense won't hold up. Then again they have the following QBs to face the rest of the year so who knows:

Eli x2, Stanton, Bortles, Foles x2, Cutler, Luck, and Cousins x2

So far only Luck and Foles are playing well or with any consistency. So it will be hard to judge who they are unless they just start running wild on teams. October football is such an odd duck.

I will say that plenty of commentators, even on the Denver radio station are declaring them as 'for real', so maybe I should shelve any concerns.

Division games count for 2, so there is some merit behind his claim.

To me it all comes down to health. Because of how this team has drafted the past couple of years (trading up and losing picks from first 3 rounds), they have poor depth. Most teams don't have great depth but I think losing 2nd and 3rd round picks year after year have really made the Cowboys top heavy. Injuries happen in the NFL, some teams can weather it, I don't think the Cowboys can.

The position groups that I feel remotely okay with if Dallas were to lose a starter are RB and WR. Running backs Randle, Dunbar, and Williams (on PS) I think could fill in adequately if Murray were to miss time, the only question would be how those back hold up in pass pro. Dez Bryant is a beast in the redzone and there isn't anyone on the team that can make the catches Bryant makes, however I feel there are good enough options for Tony (Williams and Street) that they could make do if Bryant were to go down.

I think every positional group on the defense has poor depth, and I am not really in love with the depth on the offensive line either except for maybe Bernadeau who would fill in if either Leary, Martin or Frederick go down.

The common theme for the past three 8-8 seasons were injuries at every level of the defense and not good enough depth to make do. It may be a little different for the defense this year because there are players that will be able to help after they are reinstated. Demarcus Lawrence at right end, and Amobi Okoye and Josh Brent at defensive tackle. Garrett has also made a concerted effort into investing in injury prevention technology to help limit soft tissue injuries that would plague the Cowboys of old.

As far as the defensive play and will it hold up? Probably not, I do think that the offensive execution is helping the defense. Dallas was last in the league last year in converting third downs. They could not sustain drives and it resulted in their defense being on field longer to be exposed. This season not only is Dallas executing on third downs and sustaining drives, they have an effective rushing attack to shorten the game.

I will say this about the defense it seems Marinelli is utilizing different blitz packages to make up for consistent pressure from his ends. And the defense is a lot more disciplined when it comes to its run fits, zone assignments etc.

Edit: It is hard for me to gauge what Dallas is as well. Years of being near the bottom in the league in rushing attempts and yards only to become a team that grounds and pounds. How many times do you see that happen after one off season without regime change? I don't know...

Tom Penny

I don't care either way about Ridley other than they do need someone that can somewhat run between the tackles and that's not Bolden. I just hope they don't go back to not running the ball and knowing Mcdaniels that's exactly what he will do. Granted the Jets my be a different story since that is clearly their strength compared to the secondary but I mean in general.

Doomsayer

For all the hype with Quinton Dial and Tank Carradine, they have been inactive for so many games this season. Starting to look like wasted picks...

I heard Tank can't get the playbook down, what the fuck guy? This is your second year and you are still struggling with;

1. Line up at OLB or DE
2. Rush Passer
3. Sack QB

At least Lynch looks promising.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't care either way about Ridley other than they do need someone that can somewhat run between the tackles and that's not Bolden. I just hope they don't go back to not running the ball and knowing Mcdaniels that's exactly what he will do. Granted the Jets my be a different story since that is clearly their strength compared to the secondary but I mean in general.

I think Bolden could have a shot at it if he could find a way to keep his knees ok.

Patriots7

I can see Mayo being willing to restructure or take a pay cut to stay. He's one of Belichick's favorites, to the point that he used to be called Jerod Belichick and Bill Jr. and he's still the leader of the defense. I hope they work something out.
Would love to be wrong, but I can't see him being as valuable coming off a second season ending injury.
As much as Belichick loves him, I see rationality winning out.

JCizzle

i would be shocked if they didn't get to kap at all tonight. Martin and boone have been playing like trash pass blocking.

21 tackles for loss compared to only 6 for their opponents, not sure how that ranks league wide. They getting there, the sacks will come. hopefully not starting tonight! Keep your eyes up Kap!

jchap

The yellow and blue Ram's uniform was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Then the late 90s happened and everyone got terrified of bright colors.

LJ11

I don't get the love for Beat headphones. They're not very good for the price.

You should ask LJ11 what he thinks of Mayo...

Most overrated LB in the league. Scott Chandler was styling on that D, the Bills entire gameplan was predicated on getting the LBs/S matched up on a TE, they dressed three TEs just to abuse the their LBs. Its a shame we don't have athletic TEs, Gragg is but the staff doesn't use him much. Now if only we mixed in the backs on those shitty backers, and had an OL.

The funny thing about the Wilson Int to end the game is that I kept saying, why are you so deep Rolando, he'll never throw that ball down the seam with you playing 10 yards off the line.....lol

Top Bottom