• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I can't remember who is doing the thread this week. I know some of y'all have the next few weeks lined up.

Make it happen because we know the Niners are winning this game.

Godslay

Banned
Lol I have no axe to grind, to make a comment like that holds absolutely no water. You play week by week, otherwise you lose focus. Focusing on a different game instead of the now is often considered a "trap game" for a reason. They didn't do all their hard work in the offseason to beat one team, there is no way to spin that as having merit. He is a moron.

edit- also if you don't get it, the main reason he ran his mouth wasn't because the pats were his "top opponent" for his team, it was selfish reasoning.

Obviously you play week to week. If you don't think these teams look beyond that week you are crazy, especially within the division. If I was the running the Broncos, my coaching staff would know what the hell was going in within the division on a weekly basis, and would know those teams tendencies as well as their own. Reason being, you take care of your home before you clean someone else's house. Granted there is only so much time in a day, but they would be ready to face the Chargers/Chiefs/Raiders on the drop of a hat.

If I was gunning for the division I would likely prepare for the biggest threat the most. In the Bills case that's the Pats. So it makes perfect sense on a team scale, that they were preparing for that one game the most. The Pats are considered the division leader and to beat them gives you good shot to win the division if it's close.

I understand selfish reasons to prepare, but it makes sense for the Bills as a whole to prepare in that way, especially in OTAs, TC, etc. My sole purpose would be to destroy the division, guaranteeing myself a chance in the postseason.

To me it all comes down to health. Because of how this team has drafted the past couple of years (trading up and losing picks from first 3 rounds), they have poor depth. Most teams don't have great depth but I think losing 2nd and 3rd round picks year after year have really made the Cowboys top heavy. Injuries happen in the NFL, some teams can weather it, I don't think the Cowboys can.

The position groups that I feel remotely okay with if Dallas were to lose a starter are RB and WR. Running backs Randle, Dunbar, and Williams (on PS) I think could fill in adequately if Murray were to miss time, the only question would be how those back hold up in pass pro. Dez Bryant is a beast in the redzone and there isn't anyone on the team that can make the catches Bryant makes, however I feel there are good enough options for Tony (Williams, Street, and Byrd) that they could make do if Bryant were to go down.

I think every positional group on the defense has poor depth, and I am not really in love with the depth on the offensive line either except for maybe Bernadeau who would fill in if either Leary, Martin or Frederick go down.

The common theme for the past three 8-8 seasons were injuries at every level of the defense and not good enough depth to make do. It may be a little different for the defense this year because there are players that will be able to help after they reinstated. Demarcus Lawrence at right end, and Amobi Okoye and Josh Brent at defensive tackle. Garrett has also made a concerted effort into investing in injury prevention technology to help limit soft tissue injuries that would plague the Cowboys of old.

As far as the defensive play and will it hold up? Probably not, I do think that the offensive execution is helping the defense. Dallas was last in the league last year in converting third downs. They could not sustain drives and it resulted in their defense being on field longer to be exposed. This season not only is Dallas executing on third downs and sustaining drives, they have an effective rushing attack to shorten the game.

I will say this about the defense it seems Marinelli is utilizing different blitz packages to make up for consistent pressure from his ends. And the defense is a lot more disciplined when it comes to its run fits, zone assignments etc.

Good read. It all sounds fair and reasonable. Marinelli has them playing well, but blitz packages aren't a replacement for consistent pressure as I'm sure you are well aware of. You'll get burned by that eventually. I've seen it in 2005 with the Broncos, and as recent as Dennis Allen when he was DC. Maybe someone will emerge from that group to give them the option to get good pressure without relying on the blitz too much.

I'm not trying to sound overly negative, as Dallas looks like a pretty good team. I guess I'm of the belief that you are never as good as they say you are, or as bad either. Unless of course you are just dominating teams. Then you just have to be mentally strong as a team to sustain it.

I did see your edit too. That certainly gives a boost, and it would be hard to be worse then what they had going on last year.

duxstar

Funny story ......... I hate playing the rams as a niners fan just because they always seem to give us a hard time ... that pass rush up front is dangerous.

Top Bottom