• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Fox318

Peyton Manning could be on the jets and he would suck.

They have the worst receiving core in the league.

Kerley is the player that other teams would want.

eznark

Banned
Oh, now he is better than Mike Vick.

Ok. Right, and your high school girlfriend was hotter than Alyssa Milano. Everything looks better in the rear view.

squicken

Ok. Right, and your high school girlfriend was hotter than Alyssa Milano. Everything looks better in the rear view.

Vick is better but his fragility keeps anyone from using him optimally. He needs to run way more than he currently does, which would help him as a passer.

But eh, I need to pay more attention to Mike Stoops trolling Sooners fans

Godslay

Banned

He's not a better passer, but the argument was in relation to backups. Vick and Stanton are backups, and probably the most recent examples of such. They aren't exactly setting the world on fire, so to think that Tebow could fill that role isn't a stretch of the imagination. You could use Orton as an example as well, but we know how that ended for him in Denver. You'd sacrifice part of your passing game, to be replaced with a fortified running game.

eznark

Banned
You'd take Weeden over Tebow? Brave man.

Without even a breath of hesitation. Pryor is closer, and Gabbert as well. But that's pretty much it. I certainly wouldn't take him over any of the three QBs in Green Bay.

Wait, Joe Webb isn't still a QB somewhere is he? That's one for sure I'd take Tebow.

Dragon

Banned
Not really.

Granted he's a backup, but Staton is passing for 48.9% without the threat of being able to run or continue broken plays. He would do just fine in a backup role. Look at Mike Vick for instance, came in as a backup and only completed 42% of his passes last week. Plus Geno only completed 33.% last week. Your telling me Tebow couldn't replicate that? It's a low bar for sure, but he's a gamer.

The only thing that's stopping him from being in the NFL is the circus around him. If it wasn't for that, I'm almost positive he'd be backing up someone. Especially with all the terrible backups out there.

The examples you've given are guys having really shitty days. And frankly those are in line with Tebow's career averages! I really don't understand the love the guy gets besides like I said, you just want to watch the world burn. The Broncos relative success with him was almost 100% based on ball control and defense.

Those guys maybe are slightly better at throwing the ball, but Tebow is built like a FB. A good OC can come up with a gameplan that uses his skills to win a game or two, which is all you can reasonably ask of a backup. I doubt even Chip the Great could win a game with Whitehurst

I don't know man, that doesn't sound like you have a lot of confidence in Tebow at all. There are the backup QBs that are young and have potential and show flashes like Cousins, there are the career backups, there are the weird WRs turned QBs. And they are all better than Tebow. There are plenty of backups who can win games in the NFL.

Konka

Banned
Without even a breath of hesitation. Pryor is closer, and Gabbert as well. But that's pretty much it. I certainly wouldn't take him over any of the three QBs in Green Bay.

Wait, Joe Webb isn't still a QB somewhere is he? That's one for sure I'd take Tebow.

He's #3 on the Panthers.

jakncoke

Banned

Isnt he more of a wr now for the Panthers

The Panthers are only carrying Webb because Cam's one potshot to the ribs away from being KO'ed and Derek Anderson with no back-up is a no-no.

Still I'd rather have Tebow definitely if those are my options.

Dragon

Banned
The Panthers are only carrying Webb because Cam's one potshot to the ribs away from being KO'ed and Derek Anderson with no back-up is a no-no.

Still I'd rather have Tebow definitely if those are my options.

Josh Freeman is awful, a free agent, and better than Tebow. You wouldn't rather have him?

Konka

Banned
Josh Freeman is awful, a free agent, and better than Tebow. You wouldn't rather have him?

Josh-Freeman.jpg

Godslay

Banned
The examples you've given are guys having really shitty days. And frankly those in line with Tebow's career averages! I really don't understand the love the guy gets besides like I said, you just want to watch the world burn. The Broncos relative success with him was almost 100% based on ball control and defense.

That's Stanton's average in all the games he's played so far this year, Stanton is at 52% in his career. Geno is at 58.1% for the year, if you drop his outliers (82.1% and 33.3%) you are left with 54% completion rate. Miss one or two throws throughout the season, he'd likely be in the same ballpark as Stanton and Tebow.

For a backup Tebow would fit in just fine. He adds enough to the running game, that you can compensate for his passing weaknesses. The setup would have to be just right, but it's feasible, and Fox showed that it could be done in some capacity.

I don't know man, that doesn't sound like you have a lot of confidence in Tebow at all. There are the backup QBs that are young and have potential and show flashes like Cousins, there are the career backups, there are the weird WRs turned QBs. And they are all better than Tebow. There are plenty of backups who can win games in the NFL.

And that's exactly what he did when he came in as the backup, he's proven while others aren't in that capacity.

bionic77

Enjoy an eternity in hell you bastard.

BigAT

That's Stanton's average in all the games he's played so far this year, Stanton is at 52% in his career. Geno is at 58.1% for the year, if you drop his outliers (82.1% and 33.3%) you are left with 54% completion rate. Miss one or two throws throughout the season, he'd likely be in the same ballpark as Stanton and Tebow.

For a backup Tebow would fit in just fine. He adds enough to the running game, that you can compensate for his passing weaknesses. The setup would have to be just right, but it's feasible, and Fox showed that it could be done in some capacity.

That's some impressive logical leaps and number manipulation. Fuck rationality and objective thinking.

But here's the good news everyone, you guys can all throw away your career averages and completion percentages because the only number that matters is 32 GMs that all think Tim Tebow isn't worthy of a single spot on an NFL roster.

Konka

Banned
That's some impressive logical leaps and number manipulation. Fuck rationality and objective thinking.

But here's the good news everyone, you guys can all throw away your career averages and completion percentages because the only number that matters is 32 GMs that all think Tim Tebow isn't worthy of a single spot on an NFL roster.

There are some bad GM's out there, you're right.

zychi

Banned

And yet, JFF got drafted in the first round.

bionic77

This Tebow hate is extremely disturbing.

You bastards are all going to hell. Remember in hell you have Brady and Jordan for company.

Godslay

Banned

So discarding outliers is number manipulation? I would say that 82% and 33% are not indicative of what Geno's average would be on a weekly basis. If you look at what he threw on average last year 55%, discarding those outliers brings him closer inline with that number 54%, than the 58% number he has that is skewed by both of the high and low values.

As far as a logical leap, the difference between Tebow, Stanton, and other backups is minimal at best. Some will be better, some will be worse. Each would have their strengths and weaknesses. For every Kyle Orton, there is also a Curtis Painter. Backups vary wildly in their abilities.

4 GMs already carried him in different capacities. The problem with Tebow is not that he can't play. He's already proved that he can. The problem is that he is somewhat delusional that he is a starting QB, and that nobody wants to deal with putting pressure on the starting QB if he slips and people start calling for Tebow time.

Hunter S.

Peyton Manning could be on the jets and he would suck.

They have the worst receiving core in the league.

Give Peyton good pass protection and he could make the Jets a playoff team. People rarely give any love to the Broncos O-line. It is one of the best in the league.

Top Bottom