• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 8 |OT| I Used To Like Football

The Lions looked like utter garbage in that game. I honestly felt disgusted watching the ending as both teams battled to lose harder than their opponents. Both coaches made multiple baffling decisions towards the end (setting up for a long FG with plenty of time still on the clock?) but the Falcons desire to lose was just too much for the Lions to overcome.

All of the Lions fans that watched the game were disgusted with their team afterwards, even with the win. Then, as predictable as the sun gracefully rising over the east coast every morning, kas rolls in and talks up his trashy QB and mediocre team based on nothing more than a glance at the final score and some highlights.

I used to not mind kas' antics, to be honest, but at this point it's just ridiculously sad and obnoxious how much he allows himself to ignore the weaknesses of his team.

kas, tape your eyes open and go watch the first half of that game. Force yourself to realize that Stafford is holding this team back with his constant overthrows and poor decisions. Please do this for your own sake as well as the sanity of NFL-GAF.

eznark

Banned
On one hand I'm not happy the NFL is playing games in London to begin with forcing me to get up 6:30 AM PST. On the other hand we showed Europeans one of the most exciting games in recent history and the Lions will probably be the most popular franchise in Europe.

If you hadn't said so, this makes it clear you did not watch the game.

Tom Penny

I think Andrew Luck is a great QB.

That said, it seems he makes 2 or 3 boneheaded decisions per game. He's talented enough to correct for them, but he really needs to clean that stuff up if he expects to have longevity in the league, particularly in the playoffs.

I say it all the time. He has a bit Favre in him whether you take that as greatness or a potential wart. He's still working with just ok talent at skill positions but he has all the tools. There really isn't any young talent in the AFC even close to his level. He feels he can make every throw..probably can but that can get you in big trouble in the NFL.

Fox318

sQY4oJH.png

Godslay

Banned
Was going to pick up Sunset Overdrive console on Tuesday, but if I wait till Sunday it will be $50 off. Plus I have a 10% coupon so I should walk out the door at $315 before tax. Save around $85 for waiting till Sunday.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
These arguments about Matthew Stafford are over. He is an elite QB and has proven it time and time again since at least 2011.

Yesterday he played without his number #1 receiver, number #1 RB, a garbage running game, our starting RT out and all three of his top tight ends sidelined (Fauria, Ebron and Pettigrew).

This gives you an idea of what Stafford had to work with:

Just how short-handed were the Detroit Lions?

"Met (Kellen Davis) on our flight to London," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "Played 30 snaps at tight end for us."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/10/detroit_lions_golden_tate_now.html

52TbaKf.jpg

staffordlaser.0.0.gif

Defend the Den 2014.

Tom Penny

For a player that has played in plenty of games what tops Geno's

2/8 for .6 yards per attempt, 3 INT and a zero passer rating? I got nothing.

I think Idzik is just misunderstood. Jets should offer him a 20 year extension and send Rex packing. Bring back Sanchez along with a new HC and the Jets will be a contender overnight.

manfestival

freaking buccaneers, disgraceful to your home town. I am so glad that I did not go to the game. I had the opportunity but who seriously wants to attend that garbage? It's gonna be so hard to pull anything off from here on out. 1-15 is a real possibility. 2-14 is more likely though.

bionic77

I think Andrew Luck is a great QB.

That said, it seems he makes 2 or 3 boneheaded decisions per game. He's talented enough to correct for them, but he really needs to clean that stuff up if he expects to have longevity in the league, particularly in the playoffs.
I didn't see anything he did wrong yesterday other than playing for a horrible team.

He was getting crushed and carried that team for 3 quarters.

I don't see another qb in the league performing under that much duress and making that many plays.

He will get smarter as he gets older and learn to throw it away and save his body.

So, on April 26th I started Book One of the Wheel of Time. 6 months and 435 hours of listening later, I am done. Finished during halftime yesterday. Listening to the books that way was pretty amazing and I definitely recommend it. The readers are brilliant (Kramer and Reading are really fantastic and the reason I was willing to check out this nerd shit in the first place) and because I just digested it as one huge chunk, I never felt like "oh this book really sucks." The downside is if anyone ever tries to talk to me about it on the internet I 1. have no notion of what events happened in what book. It was all one big ass book and 2. have no idea how to spell shit.

I stopped reading Jordan because he is a joyless fat twat who masturbates to food, torture and rape. It got stupidly old. ASOIAF is literally joyless. The worst thing about the last decade plus of entertainment media is just the sheer oppressive cynicism in literally everything. Wheel of Time began in a much better time and it really shows throughout the entire series. Even at its absolute nadir, Matt chapters provided a pick me up, moments of levity to look forward to and balance against the gloom.

I can't decide if the ending was amazing or a cop out, so that's great! So well done, pretty much the entire way through. Sanderson is easily the best genre writer going right now.

It's bullshit that Faieel didn't die. Fuck that bitch. And the Pa Don Faine wrap up was abysmal.
I envy you for how you read the series. It has been so long I don't remember but I think I started reading that shit in the late 90s. The fucking 90s!

I actually liked the ending. Matt grew into my favorite character and it was awesome seeing him be given an impossible situation and win the Last Battle. I also loved how Perrin was pretty much put to the side for the entire last battle until the very end when he finally decided to become a man.

I can't even guess what Pa Don Faine is. You must be talking about the dude with the dagger? Not even sure.

And I am glad someone else agrees that ASOIAF fell off a fucking cliff. I also agree that shit is way too negative these days. Thats why the 80s were awesome! People could actually act like they were excited about something.

The Lions' inevitable second-half collapse will be made so much sweeter. Thanks, Kas.

Shame, because literally every other regular member of Lions-age is actually likable. They just happened to have been saddled with their own Tabris.

dionysus

Yaldog
Saints win at home and lose away, same ole same ole. We need to play the packers D every game. Made our running game look dominant which makes Brees job so much easier.

I hope we continue to focus on the run game going forward. But every team wants to establish the run to open up the passing game, easier said than done. If we can't force the defense to commit to the run, our offense just isn't good enough to do it all through the air. Unfortunately I don't believe in Ingram and our o-line vs. a good defense, and I don't believe in the Saints D enough to keep the game close such that Brees isn't forced to pass every down to try to come from behind.

Even if we make the playoffs, we are 1 and done.

Tom Penny

freaking buccaneers, disgraceful to your home town. I am so glad that I did not go to the game. I had the opportunity but who seriously wants to attend that garbage? It's gonna be so hard to pull anything off from here on out. 1-15 is a real possibility. 2-14 is more likely though.

Time to trade V Jax for Dobson and a 4th..

eznark

Banned
I envy you for how you read the series. It has been so long I don't remember but I think I started reading that shit in the late 90s. The fucking 90s!

I actually liked the ending. Matt grew into my favorite character and it was awesome seeing him be given an impossible situation and win the Last Battle. I also loved how Perrin was pretty much put to the side for the entire last battle until the very end when he finally decided to become a man.

I can't even guess what Pa Don Faine is. You must be talking about the dude with the dagger? Not even sure.

And I am glad someone else agrees that ASOIAF fell off a fucking cliff. I also agree that shit is way too negative these days. Thats why the 80s were awesome! People could actually act like they were excited about something.

Oh the final book was unbelievable. I meant the epilogue specifically.

Padan Fain apparently. The way they say his name I always imagined it was three words. His death was really anticlimactic. It's the only part of the book where I felt like Jordan had way different plans than Sanderson ended up with.

The second I saw Jerricho Cotchery in the read option as the pitchman was the second I knew Mike Shula has absolutely no business being an offensive coordinator in the National Football League

dionysus

Yaldog

Padan Fain apparently. The way they say his name I always imagined it was three words. His death was really anticlimactic. It's the only part of the book where I felt like Jordan had way different plans than Sanderson ended up with.

Sanderson admitted that for several storylines he just had to end them without much wordage. Just too many loose ends and bloat. He did stay true to Jordan's notes, but he didn't have a conclusion for every plot thread.

He was getting crushed and carried that team for 3 quarters.

Pretty much. I thought the Colts had a good defense but they just had no answer for Bryant and Brown. I guess Luck could try playing on D but then he really would be the entirety of the franchise.

Kinda surprised nobody in the media tried taking Haley to task for not asking Ben to throw in the last two minutes. Sure it risks the game and is a total bonehead move but (a) Haley and (b) we could stop the Norm Van Brocklin talk.

Side effect of his audiobook reading, I think. He does mean Padan Fain. Every time I read in the books about Arid'hol I assume they're talking about Baltimore.

eznark

Banned
Sanderson admitted that for several storylines he just had to end them without much wordage. Just too many loose ends and bloat. He did stay true to Jordan's notes, but he didn't have a conclusion for every plot thread.

Yeah, I know, I just meant that that was the only one I really noticed it with.

twitter shitting on JJ Watt because of his comments and him wearing the Varsity Jacket in 2012.

He deserves it for the comment. Totally unnecessary asshole thing to say.

bionic77

Yeah I loved the last few books.

I don't even think Jordan knew what to do with Fain after awhile. He seemed really important in the first few books and then he just kind of disappeared and didn't really do as much. Agree that his death was not perfect, but I still think Sanderson handled the ending about as well as you could have in light of the circumstances.

Did you ever read the Name of the Wind books? I am a fan of those too and hope that Rothfuss or however you spell his name comes out with a kickass conclusion that leads to a new chapter of books.

I think Kvothe somehow comes back to life at the end of this series and it sets up the next one where he has to kill the blue God people who killed his parents.

Zeke

I missed most of the games yesterday. I saw 3 quarters of the Steelers game and the last 8 minutes of the saints game. Pleasantly pleased the eagles lost :) Dallas needs to put a hurting on the skins tonight and all will be right with the world.

eznark

Banned
Yeah I loved the last few books.

I don't even think Jordan knew what to do with Fain after awhile. He seemed really important in the first few books and then he just kind of disappeared and didn't really do as much. Agree that his death was not perfect, but I still think Sanderson handled the ending about as well as you could have in light of the circumstances.

Did you ever read the Name of the Wind books? I am a fan of those too and hope that Rothfuss or however you spell his name comes out with a kickass conclusion that leads to a new chapter of books.

I think Kvothe somehow comes back to life at the end of this series and it sets up the next one where he has to kill the blue God people who killed his parents.

Loved the first, the second was potentially the worst book I have read in ten years. Not interested in any more after that, which pains me given Rothfuss is a Wisconsinite.

dionysus

Yaldog
Loved the first, the second was potentially the worst book I have read in ten years. Not interested in any more after that, which pains me given Rothfuss is a Wisconsinite.

I have to agree. Though the first book had some annoyances that I was willing to look over. The 2nd book magnified those annoyances 10 fold.

Beside the well documented Mary Sueish nature of Kvothe, especially sexually, my main complaint is that the main character shows zero character growth. I mean, it gets annoying that everything bad that happens to Kvothe is self-inflicted and he never learns.

brentech

The Lions win was a good one for them, even if it was against a pretty shitty team.
It's hard to expect them to collapse when the defense plays mostly consistent. Maybe they didn't show up all game, but they showed up for the entire second half.

A collapse is pretty much all the hands of Stafford, which is possible, but if your defense keeps giving you shots, you really have to flush it all to lose.

That was a pretty ugly game though. Matt Ryan is just a thinner version of Stafford with no defense to help him.

ShaneB

gotta make that paper.

Gotta pay the bills. I still have 7 vacation days, just a matter of when I will take them, already have my 2 weeks christmas vacation booked.

Just a matter of splitting up the day, just get to lunch and get back to the book I'm currently reading that has me hooked, Red Winter, and breaking up the afternoon.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Browns have become the team they were expected to be.

Good defense and shit offense. The defense made huge plays yesterday to help seal the win.

4 more games until the return of Josh Gordon.

Top Bottom