• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 9 |OT| NO means NO

bionic77

All crazyness on a stick though (A famous Dutch expression, y'all are welcome), how has James Harrison played so far this season? I see he left his mark on the game yesterday, but has this been going on all season?

Also, I'm jealous of the Steelers their ability to draft and develop WRs.
He was a nothing for his first few weeks (not surprising seeing as how he was fucking retired).

He made some plays against the Colts but he never looked really good until last night.

I can still barely believe he played that well.

Lets see if this can last.

P.S. All receivers look better with a really good qb. Maybe if you guys got a qb with actual physical talent instead of relying on a system and good coaching your receivers would look better too! Pretty much none of our receivers has ever gone on to do much if they were not playing with Ben.

dionysus

Yaldog
Alright you degenerates, do I install Windows 7 or 8.1?

Install Windows 8.1 and learn to use Windows button + S to find stuff instead of trying to navigate through the traditional windows menus that are hard to find in 8.1.

If you don't want to do that, install 7.

eznark

Banned
ez, you on the Lazor bandwagon yet? Dude is legit.

You're fucking manic. Yesterday was the second good defense they played, and it was a road Chargers team. The first was the Chiefs where they stepped all over their own dicks. Let's calm down a bit. Tannehill has had three good games all year.

I'm on board with him as an offensive coordinator (but I always was so that is nothing new) but as a QB whisperer? Not yet. The real reason Tannehill has corrected his INT rate and improved his TD rate is that he is being sacked about half as often. He is on pace to be sacked a ludicrous 24 fewer times this season. And even then he isn't exactly a world beater. He is still living intermediate to underneath, which probably explains the 33% reduction in pick rate. They have the weapons to move the ball vertically and the protection to do so. They should be a lot more explosive in my opinion. Tannehill is holding them back. Maybe yesterday was a step in the right directon, or maybe it was a fluke. We'll see. Lions is a massive test. Dolphins are well equipped to win that game though with a strong offensive line.

Tenumi

Banned
Damn, Marcus lattimore retiring from football.

Unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected. Its sad to someone with the ability he had be unable to go because of injuries. Best of luck to him in the future, hopefully he can land on his feet in whatever he does next.

Hahaha. Should have known this was coming. I'm not gonna lie we get one of two Mannings when things go bad. We get the guy who is pissed and unleashes the fury. Or the guy who overthinks it all and throws the game away. If he could consistently be the angry Manning when things go south, we'd be just fine.

Yeah, but that's not going to happen. It's been the same way ever since he's been in the league. Some teams are just able to play him well enough that he isn't able to adjust out of it. Those tend to be very good teams. We just got beat by a really good one last night that outplayed us in all 3 phases. We're probably never gonna get a pissed off Peyton that goes full tilt and just unleashes on any defense. It's the trade off we get for a QB that mostly plays pretty mistake free and can score a good amount of points on a consistent basis. I don't think we'll ever get the Elway moment with Peyton.

Despite some of the analysis about being top 10 DVOA I really felt this was game was gonna be tough. Was hoping I was wrong and we would be dominant but that just wasn't the case. The Patriots really had a great offensive plan against the defense of the Broncos. They basically became the Patriots of old, doing curl routes or crossing routes against physical secondaries to get separation. And boy did their oline hold up against the Denver pass rush. I can only recount a couple of times we were able to get any real pressure on Brady, and he would usually need to step up a little bit in order to get enough time to find a receiver that managed to get open (can't count how many 3rd or 4th down completions were done this way). Congrats to the Pats for finding out a solid game plan against the way we play. In the AFC championship game we were able to get a lot of pressure up the middle, but I think there was only 1 or 2 times in this game where I saw that happen. It's kinda crazy how quickly that Pats oline has been able to adjust after a horrid start for the season to one that I think is playing pretty incredible right now.

I hope the Broncos offense can make better adjustments in the future to make it easier on themselves. Maybe have Julius do some different patterns to get separation from Browner. Maybe not have Hillman try to block blitzing linebackers, cause he was horribly overmatched last night. Maybe have Peyton actually complete some more 3rd downs, I dunno I'm just talking crazy at this point. Whatever we do, no more Talib on Edelman or LaFell. I think he's too big too adjust to their shiftiness. I'd rather have Harris and Roby/Webster/Carter doing that with Talib/Ward shadowing Gronk.

And for the love of God clean up special teams.

eznark

Banned
just watched the chargers "highlights"

As a lions fan I'm just a little bit worried.

Brutal month for Detroit, and the second half is so much more difficult than Green Bay's. Packers will definitely be favored in every game the rest of the way (unless they lose obviously) while the Lions will probably be dogs in three of their last 8. Plus the Packers get their last two challenges at home, while the Lions have to go on the road.

Despite being a game down the Packers definitely control their own destiny.

bionic77

Nice stat about how horrible the Jets are.

Ben has 12 passing TDs in the last 2 games.

The Jets have 12 passing TDs in their last 15.

:lol

Fuck the Jets. Me and Tebow didn't forget!

Remember pre-season when everyone was telling you this Panthers team is trash?

zach.gif

I never should've doubted the all-mighty Peter King and Pete Prisco

You mean former OC of UVa?
:)
We all go through dark periods of our life. ;)

You're fucking manic. Yesterday was the second good defense they played, and it was a road Chargers team. The first was the Chiefs where they stepped all over their own dicks. Let's calm down a bit. Tannehill has had three good games all year.

I'm on board with him as an offensive coordinator (but I always was so that is nothing new) but as a QB whisperer? Not yet. The real reason Tannehill has corrected his INT rate and improved his TD rate is that he is being sacked about half as often. He is on pace to be sacked a ludicrous 24 fewer times this season. And even then he isn't exactly a world beater. He is still living intermediate to underneath, which probably explains the 33% reduction in pick rate. They have the weapons to move the ball vertically and the protection to do so. They should be a lot more explosive in my opinion. Tannehill is holding them back. Maybe yesterday was a step in the right directon, or maybe it was a fluke. We'll see. Lions is a massive test. Dolphins are well equipped to win that game though with a strong offensive line.
Did you watch the game yesterday? Saying Tannehill held them back is ludicrous.

I'm not back on the Tannehill bandwagon yet but I can't deny that he's making strides. He doesn't have the deep ball of an Aaron Rodgers but he has the tools to do just about everything else, and I still think he could eventually develop a decent deep ball. He connected with Wallace on a 50 yard bomb against Jacksonville and it's not like he doesn't have the arm strength.

The o-line has been a huge factor, but why wouldn't it be? Shocking news: young QB plays better when he has time to reach read #2 more than once in awhile.

It's hard to find anything bad to say about Tannehill over the past few weeks outside of the first half against GB and Jacksonville. His accuracy is there, he is moving well in the pocket and avoiding sacks better, he is reading the field intelligently and making smart throws, he is picking up yards with his feet, he's keeping plays alive after the protection breaks down, he's keeping his eyes downfield, and he's spreading the ball to all of his weapons. He should have had at least one more TD yesterday (Clay fumble on the 1 foot line as he's falling into the end zone) and possibly another.

Other than the o-line Lazor has been the big difference. I'm not taking about the QB whisperer stuff (although that's at least a small part of it), he is running a smart offense that puts the players in position to succeed.

Tannehill will never be Andrew Luck but what we've seen the past few weeks suggests his ceiling could be higher than we thought.

Skele7on

Banned
Brutal month for Detroit, and the second half is so much more difficult than Green Bay's. Packers will definitely be favored in every game the rest of the way (unless they lose obviously) while the Lions will probably be dogs in three of their last 8. Plus the Packers get their last two challenges at home, while the Lions have to go on the road.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to this half, we can do it, but the Packers do have a substantial advantage this year.. Just hoping we can get Megatron, Bush and Fairley back asap!

your defense is what scares me.

Yeah I just hope it holds Fairley is a massive part of it and not having him..

Hoping he'll be fine.

Although looking through I think we can smash the bears and vikings... Well I hope we can.
It's gonna all come down to the Last game of the season vs the packers isn't it?

eznark

Banned
We all go through dark periods of our life. ;)

Did you watch the game yesterday? Saying Tannehill held them back is ludicrous.

I'm not back on the Tannehill bandwagon yet but I can't deny that he's making strides. He doesn't have the deep ball of an Aaron Rodgers but he has the tools to do just about everything else, and I still think he could eventually develop a decent deep ball. He connected with Wallace on a 50 yard bomb against Jacksonville and it's not like he doesn't have the arm strength.

The o-line has been a huge factor, but why wouldn't it be? Shocking news: young QB plays better when he has time to reach read #2 more than once in awhile.

It's hard to find anything bad to say about Tannehill over the past few weeks outside of the first half against GB and Jacksonville. His accuracy is there, he is moving well in the pocket and avoiding sacks better, he is reading the field intelligently and making smart throws, he is picking up yards with his feet, he's keeping plays alive after the protection breaks down, he's keeping his eyes downfield, and he's spreading the ball to all of his weapons. He should have had at least one more TD yesterday (Clay fumble on the 1 foot line as he's falling into the end zone) and possibly another.

Other than the o-line Lazor has been the big difference. I'm not taking about the QB whisperer stuff (although that's at least a small part of it), he is running a smart offense that puts the players in position to succeed.

Tannehill will never be Andrew Luck but what we've seen the past few weeks suggests his ceiling could be higher than we thought.

Did you not read the last sentence? I said maybe yesterday was a sign of things to come, but it was not the norm thus far.

Tenumi

Banned

It's going to be a tough road, that's for sure. It'd be a dream to just get away with losses to Pats, Cards, and Packers. At least one more will probably be a surprise loss as well.

It would not surprise me to see the Dolphins crash back to earth against Detroit. A great d-line is still the best way to beat them, as we saw with Buffalo and KC.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
We'll see after Thursday but for these next 3-4 days I get to pretend the Browns control their destiny!

But more importantly 2 more games and then Josh Gordon returns!

Did you not read the last sentence? I said maybe yesterday was a sign of things to come, but it was not the norm thus far.
Other than the first half against GB and Jacksonville Tannehill has looked great the past five games. Not saying he's putting up Brady numbers but he definitely isn't holding the team back.

Don't forget, just a week or two ago you were talking about how this roster had very little talent. Tannehill deserves some credit for the Dolphins winning four of their last five.

Diablos

If Pittsburgh can beat the Colts and Ravens with so many extra points on the board they can beat ANYONE. Clearly the start to the season for them was a disaster, but they've moved on from that which is all that matters.

I anticipate us with a strong showing in the playoffs and if they can keep this up they might just be favored for the Super Bowl, but I won't go that far yet.

Also can we please stop saying Ben still isn't a world class QB? That argument should be put to rest once and for all based on what we've seen in the past two games alone.

njean777

How fucked are the Eagles now that Sanchez is qb? I complained about Foles a lot but now I am more worried about butt fumble.

Zeke

I'm still depressed after yesterday's game. I can't believe Brandon Weeden broke Murray's rushing streak. Defense looks like hot garbage. So many plays that should have been stopped for negative yards or no gain and defenders completely wiff on tackles. The defense made Palmer look like wussel running around evading defenders. We lost McClain and Crawford. McClain was our bright spot out there really sucks. Apparently Crawford has a sprained mcl. Leary should be back this week then we just need free back and our line should be back to full strength. Fuck Monday mornings.

Bacon

Giants are wearing white pants tonight!

Much preferable to the ugly grey they usually wear. Now they just need to wear the white pants with their white jerseys and all will be right in the world.

Vyroxis

Banned
It's going to be a tough road, that's for sure. It'd be a dream to just get away with losses to Pats, Cards, and Packers. At least one more will probably be a surprise loss as well.

If the Dolphins show up and play like they did against the Chargers, that could be a bad day for the Lions. The Lions D is legit scary, but their offense is the weak spot this season and the Dolphins defense is no joke.

Cardinals and Patriots (especially the Patriots) both have what it takes to club the Lions upside the head.

So yah, the Lions going 1-2 their next three games is easily seeable. 0-3 is possible even. Bucs should be an easy win at least though, right?

You're one game behind us with the tie breaker.
Too early to write NE into the playoffs. Next 5 games will determine that.

Absolutely. The schedule doesn't get any tougher than we already have. As of right now, Miami is doing great and I wonder how worn out we would be around that time.

Hopefully we finish just as strong.

There is a guy sitting in the library wearing an EJ Manuel Bills jersey.

I went to sit opposite of him, with my pats cap on and gave him the biggest shit eating grin ever just for the hell of it.

He went to sit somewhere else.

Pats win again.

That's being too cocky, lol.

Absolutely. The schedule doesn't get any tougher than we already have. As of right now, Miami is doing great and I wonder how worn out we would be around that time.

Hopefully we finish just as strong.

That's being too cocky, lol.

Hey it was one of the few spots available, I'd have rather sat at a private table, I just couldn't resist when he looked at my cap 😬

eznark

Banned
Other than the first half against GB and Jacksonville Tannehill has looked great the past five games. Not saying he's putting up Brady numbers but he definitely isn't holding the team back.

Don't forget, just a week or two ago you were talking about how this roster had very little talent. Tannehill deserves some credit for the Dolphins winning four of their last five.

Not holding them back production wise really, holding them back vertically. And "holding them back" isn't necessarily meant to be derogatory. Just saying I think they could be more explosive, as they showed yesterday. They were averaging like 9 yards per attempt.

effzee

How fucked are the Eagles now that Sanchez is qb? I complained about Foles a lot but now I am more worried about butt fumble.

How can it get worse???

We were winning in spite of Foles who this season has been a turnover machine.

Worse yet he does nothing spectacular to make up for it. Terrible arm and can't run.

I think Sanchez has a better arm and some functional mobility. How much worse can it be? It's not like Mark is coming in for the Foles we saw last season.

Now going to Barkley, if we have to, is what scares me. I wonder who the Eagles sign for qb#3 now.

manfestival

so I managed to install DS4 on my computer and I used it for the first time last night to play DmC on my computer with a controller. It was a glorious experience. The dialogue and writing hurt my face though. Was nice to play with 60+ frames tho. Unlike the bucs, dangit bucs.

njean777

How can it get worse???

We were winning in spite of Foles who this season has been a turnover machine.

Worse yet he does nothing spectacular to make up for it. Terrible arm and can't run.

I think Sanchez has a better arm and some functional mobility. How much worse can it be? It's not like Mark is coming in for the Foles we saw last season.

Now going to Barkley, if we have to, is what scares me. I wonder who the Eagles sign for qb#3 now.

Well Sanchez could butt fumble again, I would laugh and cry at the same time.

bionic77

Sanchez might be better than 2014 Foles.

He will certainly throw less INTs.

Be interesting to see if he opens up in the Eagles offense. He was always a dink and dunker with the Jets. Will be another indictment on their coaching if he comes out slanging effectively with new coaching under the Eagles.

Honestly having guys like Shady and Sproles is the ultimate safety blanket. I think Sanchez' quality of play is going to increase each week. If they keep winning Foles might be out of a job.

Sanchez might be better than 2014 Foles.

He will certainly throw less INTs.

Be interesting to see if he opens up in the Eagles offense. He was always a dink and dunker with the Jets. Will be another indictment on their coaching if he comes out slanging effectively with new coaching under the Eagles.

Honestly having guys like Shady and Sproles is the ultimate safety blanket. I think Sanchez' quality of play is going to increase each week. If they keep winning Foles might be out of a job.

Foles will be send out to LA to play for the Rams and to die under Schottenheimer

Top Bottom