• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 9 |OT| NO means NO

There's always at least one team every year that won big the year before (usually based on having a shitty schedule the year previous) and once they get a 1st place schedule the wheels come off.

The Panthers are definitely topping that list this year, and the Chiefs are likely #2 on that list.

And don't forget the Seachickens
I thought the Chiefs would be #1 in that category but they have bounced back as of late. Won four of their last five against some good competition like Miami, NE, and San Diego. Plus they lost by less than a TD to Denver and SF. Honestly they are playing pretty well and they have some easy games coming up so I think 9 to 10 wins is a real possibility.

I have to give some credit to Alex Smith, he's been efficiently getting it done. I still hate his style of play but a lot of times it works.

Yeah, there are 6 teams in the AFC better than Arizona (the best NFC team) and I don't even think that's particularly debatable. No matter who you put on top of the NFC, Denver, KC, Indy, Baltimore and Rivers are better. New England probably also.

The NFC has four teams that are all interchangeable at the top in Arizona, Philly, Seattle and Dallas.

Same as it ever was. Super Bowl will be strong consistent AFC team vs. fluke of the year NFC team.

bionic77

Same as it ever was. Super Bowl will be strong consistent AFC team vs. fluke of the year NFC team.
Have to disagree.

The Niners were the most consistent team over the last 3 or 4 years. But they always found a way to choke in the playoffs.

And last year the Seahawks were the best team all year. The only team that had a chance of beating them was the Niners. Everyone in the AFC and pretty much the rest of the league was pure trash last year.

This year the only really good team appears to be the Broncos. I was going to include San Diego in there but I am not so sure about them anymore.

Everyone else is a pretender right now. That could obviously change in another 2 months.

Have to disagree.

The Niners were the most consistent team over the last 3 or 4 years. But they always found a way to choke in the playoffs.

And last year the Seahawks were the best team all year. The only team that had a chance of beating them was the Niners. Everyone in the AFC and pretty much the rest of the league was pure trash last year.

This year the only really good team appears to be the Broncos. I was going to include San Diego in there but I am not so sure about them anymore.

Everyone else is a pretender right now. That could obviously change in another 2 months.

Last year was last year. This year the Seahawks are 4-3 and fading. Giants went back to sleep after they were awoken to stop the Patriot menace. Saints alternate playoff appearances with 8-8 seasons. The NFC is full of teams that rise to prominence one season, then fall off the next, while the AFC tends to have the same players vying for the spot.

bionic77

Last year was last year. This year the Seahawks are 4-3 and fading. Giants went back to sleep after they were awoken to stop the Patriot menace. Saints alternate playoff appearances with 8-8 seasons. The NFC is full of teams that rise to prominence one season, then fall off the next, while the AFC tends to have the same players vying for the spot.
Eh the Superbowl champs fading is not a new thing and not limited to just the NFC.

Especially defensive dominant teams. They always suck the year after they win the SB. See Steelers 2009 season.

Bowser

I think the problem with Cam is he's gotten so used to having pressure in his face due to the terrible O-Line in front of him that he's started pressing, even when he does have time. He looks shell shocked out there right now. He's seeing ghosts around him when they're not there. Reminds me of David Carr almost...

Also, the playcalling left much to be desired last night, as usual. Stewart averaged 5.8 ypc and yet he only got 8 carries? The one time we needed a Shula ball control offense, he up and went all Chud.

We need to spend every pick on offensive lineman next draft. I would rather watch Marvin McNutt and Tavarres King run routes out there if it meant we'd have a decent offensive line.

I think the problem with Cam is he's gotten so used to having pressure in his face due to the terrible O-Line in front of him that he's started pressing, even when he does have time. He looks shell shocked out there right now. He's seeing ghosts around him when they're not there. Reminds me of David Carr almost...

Also, the playcalling left much to be desired last night, as usual. Stewart averaged 5.8 ypc and yet he only got 8 carries? The one time we needed a Shula ball control offense, he up and went all Chud.

We need to spend every pick on offensive lineman next draft. I would rather watch Marvin McNutt and Tavarres King run routes out there if it meant we'd have a decent offensive line.
This is exactly what Tannehill went through last season. You put a QB behind an invisible o-line long enough he will start to develop some bad habits. It sucks. :(

I think the problem with Cam is he's gotten so used to having pressure in his face due to the terrible O-Line in front of him that's he's started pressing, even when he does have time. He looks shell shocked out there right now. He's seeing ghosts around him when they're not there. Reminds me of David Carr almost...

Cam has a whole crop of new receivers that he has no chemistry with. How much work does he get in with them outside of practice? Looks like he needs reps.

Bowser

Cam has a whole crop of new receivers that he has no chemistry with. How much work does he get in with them outside of practice? Looks like he needs reps.

One of the problems is he missed all of OTAs with the ankle surgery. Lots of valuable reps he needed that he couldn't take. From everything I've read, he looks fine on his passes in practice, but he's consistently sailed passes every year he's been in the league and that happens when he doesn't set his feet.

Make no mistake, his footwork last night was atrocious. But to me it's a product of him pressing due to the line.

Fix the line and his footwork will improve.

One of the problems is he missed all of OTAs with the ankle surgery. Lots of valuable reps he needed that he couldn't take. From everything I've read, he looks fine on his passes in practice, but he's consistently sailed passes every year he's been in the league and that happens when he doesn't set his feet.

Make no mistake, his footwork last night was atrocious. But to me it's a product of him pressing due to the line.

Fix the line and his footwork will improve.

Not a fan of blaming others for a quarterback's failures. A good QB should know his teams weaknesses and work around them. That's what Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Peyton do.

Bowser

How valuable is a quarterback who needs 10 all pros surrounding him to be successful?

No one's saying he needs 10 All-Pros around him, but c'mon, the offensive personnel around him is trash. We're starting 4 undrafted OL. The left side of the line last night was anchored by two rookie UDFAs. Two of our top three receivers are guys that were great possession #3 WRs in the league 5 years ago. Our best RB can't stay on the field and when he does, they give him the ball anywhere between 5-10 times.

Panthers fans aren't asking for a top 5 O-line, a top 5 WR corps, and LeSean McCoy around Cam. But my god, can we at least get an average O-Line to start?

The Hardy situation hasn't helped matters on the other side of the ball either.

We had a decent to good offensive line around Cam last season, and we went 12-4. I don't think that's a coincidence.

eznark

Banned
Let's make sure we all remember Panthers fans destroying Cam's weapons when they cry about Benjamin deserving RoY consideration.

Not a fan of blaming others for a quarterback's failures. A good QB should know his teams weaknesses and work around them. That's what Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Peyton do.
I'm with you to an extent but at some point it is a team game. You put Brady behind the 2013 Dolphins o-line and watch him crumble into a sack of potatoes play after play. Heck, just look at how Brady played earlier this season when the o-line was struggling and he didn't have a healthy Gronk.

Ben and Rodgers are amazing because they can get it done with a garbage o-line but they have both always had some decent weapons to work with. Peyton and Brady have almost always had great o-lines and Peyton has always had great weapons around him.

Bowser

I don't think that's fair to be honest. You just cherry picked 4 HoFers including 3 guys with over a decade's worth of experience under their belt each.

A more apt comparison would be Luck. Luck managed to get it done with terrible personnel the past two years. Cam hasn't been as good as Luck, although I'd love to see what Cam and Carolina would do if they got to play the Jags, Texans, and Titans 6 times a year.

Let's make sure we all remember Panthers fans destroying Cam's weapons when they cry about Benjamin deserving RoY consideration.

Benjamin doesn't deserve RoY. He's not consistent enough. His mental lapses are frustrating. He's dropped 2 point blank TD passes in as many games.

Sammy Watkins is a lock for RoY.

No one's saying he needs 10 All-Pros around him, but c'mon, the offensive personnel around him is trash. We're starting 4 undrafted OL. The left side of the line last night was anchored by two rookie UDFAs. Two of our top three receivers are guys that were great possession #3 WRs in the league 5 years ago. Our best RB can't stay on the field and when he does, they give him the ball anywhere between 5-10 times.

Panthers fans aren't asking for a top 5 O-line, a top 5 WR corps, and LeSean McCoy around Cam. But my god, can we at least get an average O-Line to start?

The Hardy situation hasn't helped matters on the other side of the ball either.

We had a decent to good offensive line around Cam last season, and we went 12-4. I don't think that's a coincidence.
This is a good post. At some point you can't ignore the issues with the offense outside of Cam. That said, there is plenty of blame to go around, it doesn't have to be 100% Cam or the other 10 guys!

eznark

Banned
I'm with you to an extent but at some point it is a team game. You put Brady behind the 2013 Dolphins o-line and watch him crumble into a sack of potatoes play after play. Heck, just look at how Brady played earlier this season when the o-line was struggling and he didn't have a healthy Gronk.

Ben and Rodgers are amazing because they can get it done with a garbage o-line but they have both always had some decent weapons to work with. Peyton and Brady have almost always had great o-lines and Peyton has always had great weapons around him.

Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb and James Jones are nobodies if they play for the Panthers.

Rodgers, Brady, Manning make players around them better. The Scams and Staffords of the world need extremely high talent player surrounding them to make up for their glaring deficiencies.

Greg Olsen and Kelvin Benjamin are better at their respective positions than anyone in Green Bay (though drops are an issue with Benjamin, though that's probably as much on an inconsistent QB making his life hard as anything). Cam is killing them.

Tom Penny

Pats won 12 games last year with Brady coming in losing his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best options on offense in the offseason and the number option not finishing the season and missing the first like 8 weeks..

I don't think that's fair to be honest. You just cherry picked 4 HoFers including 3 guys with over a decade's worth of experience under their belt each.

A more apt comparison would be Luck. Luck managed to get it done with terrible personnel the past two years. Cam hasn't been as good as Luck, although I'd love to see what Cam and Carolina would do if they got to play the Jags, Texans, and Titans 6 times a year.

Benjamin doesn't deserve RoY. He's not consistent enough. His mental lapses are frustrating. He's dropped 2 point blank TD passes in as many games.

Sammy Watkins is a lock for RoY.

You don't become a hall of famer with just talent. It takes preparation, dedication, patience, and intelligence.

Cam has some of those tools, but I question how much he cares or focuses outside of his accepted responsibilities. He's been in the league for what, 3 years? Consistently sailing passes like that is unacceptable for a guy with his tenure.

Cam needs to decide if he wants to be Brees Rodgers or Manning, or if he's fine with being Jay Cutler (without the quitting of course.)

Bowser

Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb and James Jones are nobodies if they play for the Panthers.

Rodgers, Brady, Manning make players around them better. The Scams and Staffords of the world need extremely high talent player surrounding them to make up for their glaring deficiencies.

Greg Olsen and Kelvin Benjamin are better at their respective positions than anyone in Green Bay. Cam is killing them.

I'll give you Jennings and Jones, not Cobb.

Benjamin is not better than Jordy Nelson, not at this point in time.

Olsen is better than GB's TEs, but for some reason he's only been targeted 7 times the past two games. He's clearly frustrated with the playcalling:

Jonathan Jones @jjones9 · 11h 11 hours ago
Olsen clearly a little surprised by lack of targets past two games

Jeremy Igo @CarolinaHuddle · 11h 11 hours ago
Rivera had no real comment on why Olsen is not utilized more.

Jeremy Igo @CarolinaHuddle · 11h 11 hours ago
Greg Olsen " the offense was just bad." "this is not rocket science "

Greg Olsen and Kelvin Benjamin are better at their respective positions than anyone in Green Bay. Cam is killing them.
I disagree, I think all three of those receivers are above average players on any team. Of course Rodgers elevates their play though, he's the best QB in the league. You are so stuck on making everything absolute when it's a lot more nuanced than that. Brady, Peyton, and Rodgers would make the Panthers offense look better but I don't think any of them would make it elite (especially Brady).

Of course you will just see this as me defending Cam but that's because it has to be black and white with you. Cam is sucking lately, he's playing terribly and he's making that team worse, no doubt about it. Like I said, plenty of blame to go around.

Bowser

I disagree, I think all three of those receivers are above average players on any team. Of course Rodgers elevates their play though, he's the best QB in the league. You are so stuck on making everything absolute when it's a lot more nuanced than that. Brady, Peyton, and Rodgers would make the Panthers offense look better but I don't think any of them would make it elite (especially Brady).

Of course you will just see this as me defending Cam but that's because it has to be black and white with you. Cam is sucking lately, he's playing terribly and he's making that team worse, no doubt about it. Like I said, plenty of blame to go around.

This. 100% this.

Cardinals' Tony Jefferson forgot he played vs. Eagles after concussion

Arizona Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson said he doesn't remember playing against the Eagles after he suffered a concussion during the game, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN reports.

Jefferson, who said he thinks the concussion happened during a kickoff, was diagnosed with a concussion on Monday. He realized there was a problem when he was driving after the game on Sunday.

"I don't really remember the game," Jefferson said. "I just remember when I started driving ... I just stopped for 30 minutes. I was like, 'What just happened?' I don't remember what happened. It was kinda scary.

"I went home and watched the film on the iPad. It was like seeing you on auto pilot. It was pretty weird."

Jefferson finished the game with 11 tackles and passed the concussion protocol on Thursday. His status for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys is uncertain, but he said he is focused on his long-term health, according to the report.

"This is your brain you're talking about," he said. "You don't want to do anything like that. I'm just going to see what they say but I feel fine.

"We got a long season ahead of us; I don't want to rush back."

He is in his second season out of Oklahoma and has 44 tackles, 1.0 sack and one pass defended this season.

The Cardinals play at the Cowboys on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Jesus

Cam's also become obsessed with forcing the ball to KB13. Open or not, he's throwing it to him. Or in his general direction.

The Panthers playbook has become three plays.

A) Draw

B) Read Option

C) Throw the ball to Benjamin and pray he can use his prodigious height to do something with very little.

2009 Giants defending champs went to sleep after stopping the Patriot menace, the 2008 Giants was of those best team to never win the SB, they were 11-1 when Plax shot himself, all 4 teams in the conference championships Giants beat, Plax shot whatever chance they had at repeating..

I just don't like the idea that every NFL receiver is basically the same player and their level of play is determined 100% by the play of the QB. It's not that black and white.

rando14

I just don't like the idea that every NFL receiver is basically the same player and their level of play is determined 100% by the play of the QB. It's not that black and white.

Golden Tate put up pedestrian numbers in SEA but now that he's in DET he is killing it!! I guess that means Staff is INDEED one of the best young quarterbacks in the league!!

eznark

Banned
It is weird that Olsen isn't targeted more. The dude is a super dependable tight end. The type I'd kill for on the Jags.

Cam isn't comfortable enough to make throws over the middle, into traffic. And given how erratic his passes are, I don't blame him really.

You disagree with me by saying exactly what I am saying. OK!

Who said that?

I definitely don't believe that, but there are some team philosophies that magnify the strengths and downplay the weaknesses of their players. Do you think Julian Edelman is worth a damn on any other team but the Patriots?

The Packers are another team like that. Their receivers always seem better than they are because their quarterbacks spread the ball around efficiently. Then they are inevitably overpaid by some other team and suddenly their career numbers seem pedestrian. James Jones stats with Oakland are commensurate with his entire Packers career.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Cam clearly isn't in the top tier of QBs, but when given even decent options, he can ball the hell out.

There is the Brady, Rogers and Manning tier, where the QB makes everybody on offense better. Then there is the next level, like Stafford or Cam who can play on that level when given good tools. Manning and Brady's are one in a 100 though, so having that next level of passer is so important to every other team.

I definitely don't believe that, but there are some team philosophies that magnify the strengths and downplay the weaknesses of their players. Do you think Julian Edelman is worth a damn on any other team but the Patriots?

The Packers are another team like that. Their receivers always seem better than they are because their quarterbacks spread the ball around efficiently. Then they are inevitably overpaid by some other team and suddenly their career numbers seem pedestrian. James Jones stats with Oakland are commensurate with his entire Packers career.
I agree, there is no doubt certain systems and QB's affect the level of a WR's play. I watched Welker play in Miami, don't forget...

Even with doodoohill at QB I would love me some Randall Cobb, though!

Top Bottom