• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 9 |OT| NO means NO

Who said that?
It's an overly extreme strawman version of your argument. Fair enough. The only point I'm trying to make is that the other ten guys outside of the QB do matter to some degree, even with the best QB's.

Of course, the degree to which they matter varies based on the QB, and if your QB is bad enough it doesn't really matter if everyone else is good or not.

It's an overly extreme strawman version of your argument. Fair enough. The only point I'm trying to make is that the other ten guys outside of the QB do matter to some degree, even with the best QB's.

Of course, the degree to which they matter varies based on the QB, and if your QB is bad enough it doesn't really matter at some point.

The other 10 guys matter sure, but the QB matters most, or so i'm told by ESPN and NFL Network.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And where do you put somebody like Ben? In some years, he needs all the help he can get, in other years he can drop a sixer with no name fucks.

QB is the most mysterious position in the sports world.

And where do you put somebody like Ben? In some years, he needs all the help he can get, in other years he can drop a sixer with no name fucks.

Ben is great when he wants to be. I'd put him above Cam and the like, below the elite like Peyton Brees and Rodgers.

Nah, Antonio Brown and Leveon bell are probably top 5 in their positions right now

There's no probably about it. Bell is definitely top 5 and IMO Brown is the top wideout in the league.

rando14

Nah, Antonio Brown and Leveon bell are probably top 5 in their positions right now

Also, keep in mind Cam's receiver situation is kinda his fault since he forced Steve Smith out.

He didn't force Steve Smith out.

89's on record saying their relationship was fine when they were playing together and its fine now.

David Gettleman and solely David Gettleman forced Steve Smith out.

OxuLw5o.png

bionic77

Ben is great when he wants to be. I'd put him above Cam and the like, below the elite like Peyton Brees and Rodgers.

There's no probably about it. Bell is definitely top 5 and IMO Brown is the top wideout in the league.
Bell would be good on any team. That guy is legit.

But Brown is just another receiver in a long list of receivers that puts up numbers and produces under Ben. That is not a coincidence. Its definitely the qb more than the receiver.

Brown would be just fine with another elite qb but if you stuck him with a garbage qb his numbers would be seriously down. There are very few receivers like Megatron that anyone can throw it up to him and he will pull the ball away from 3 defenders.

eznark

Banned

Of course, the degree to which they matter varies based on the QB, and if your QB is bad enough it doesn't really matter if everyone else is good or not.

My point was that pointing to Rodgers or Brady as your argument forces me to compare Cam to those guys. Which turns it into a black and white.

A better argument would be say, Alex Smith or Joe Flacco, who are beholden to their weapons. That's totally fine. I'd put Cam in that sort of 3rd tier QB. He has the talent of an upper echelon guy but the brains of a Gabbert. He needs someone who can bail him out and he needs time to trudge through his progressions. You give him open wide outs with Hall of Fame talent like Steve Smith though and he is money (like about 50% of the other QB's in the league would be).

I know one thing about QB's, I love watching the good ones play more than anything (other than Tammy). Even when Aaron torched the Dolphins with that beautiful TD pass to Cobb I just had to shake my head and say, "that dude can play."

Most fun to watch right now:

1. Erron to Nelson
2. Luck to whoever (Hilton?)
3. Ben to Brown
4. Peyton to the Thomas'

That's what football is all about. Give me more of that Colts/Steelers game!

Bowser

Also, keep in mind Cam's receiver situation is kinda his fault since he forced Steve Smith out.

lol yeah no:

Smith ripped Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman, too, claiming the GM told Smith when the two met he was a "shadow" of his former self and that Smith was "jealous" of Cam Newton. Smith claims he asked Gettleman if this was "about a paycut" to which Gettleman "laughed and said, "No it's not about a paycut but thanks for asking."

"He doesn't even have the cojones to tell us to our face [about the release]," Smith said. "We have to hear it from someone else. Then he calls and says it wasn't personal. If the first thing that comes out is 'well it wasn't personal,' then guess what? It was personal."

As for Cam:

Smith left Newton off his list of offenders. In fact, he had nothing bad to share about the quarterback who was reportedly “a big source of frustration.”

“Cam wrote me a letter after I was released. Cam didn’t even know I was being released. He wrote me a letter, and we text each other,” Smith said.

bionic77

I don't know if you guys saw that story in the Poconos from a month or so back when a psycho took down 2 state troopers. The guy took off in the woods but they caught him last night after 48 days.

They are going after the death penalty and I hope they get it.

Fuck snipers.

So I just started Hyrule Warriors and completed the first level and to my surprise there's voice acting. It's just the narrator though. It caught me of guard though.

Milchjon

I don't know if you guys saw that story in the Poconos from a month or so back when a psycho took down 2 state troopers. The guy took off in the woods but they caught him last night after 48 days.

Fuck snipers.

Some hippie liberal you are...

bionic77

I know one thing about QB's, I love watching the good ones play more than anything (other than Tammy). Even when Aaron torched the Dolphins with that beautiful TD pass to Cobb I just had to shake my head and say, "that dude can play."

Most fun to watch right now:

1. Erron to Nelson
2. Luck to whoever (Hilton?)
3. Ben to Brown
4. Peyton to the Thomas'

That's what football is all about. Give me more of that Colts/Steelers game!
Ugh that game was horrible.

It was fun to watch as a Steelers fan but I can't take a game seriously when they don't play any defense.

Spinluck

Why are gaming writers trying to suck up to GAF?

Seriously, if I was a game writer (I prefer an actual job) I'd go full heel and make GAF hate me. Then read the threads that hate on me after I say something like "the Oculus Rift is fucking dumb and a TV will always be better."

The James Cameron thread was amazing. He says he doesn't think VR tech has a use right now and they go attacking his success lol.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Fuck snipers.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could hunt cops down in a similar manner when they commit murder. You know, rather than giving them a paid vacation.

eznark

Banned
Wouldn't it be nice if people could hunt cops down in a similar manner when they commit murder. You know, rather than giving them a paid vacation.

I can't remember the last time that would've been necessary. Every cop who shoots someone immediately surrenders their weapon and goes on paid leave. Not a lot of fun hunting involved when you just show up at the guys house and he is there.

So is this.
So I guess that Dolphins/Steelers 0-3 OT game was the highlight of football for you.

I don't mind a good defense but I love a QB who is good enough to make them look bad. I'm not saying I want the NFL to turn into college football, but that Ben to Brown connection is just too good! You can't deny it!

rando14

So I guess that Dolphins/Steelers 0-3 OT game was the highlight of football for you.

I don't mind a good defense but I love a QB who is good enough to make them look bad. I'm not saying I want the NFL to turn into college football, but that Ben to Brown connection is just too good! You can't deny it!

I think my fave game this year is still SEA-DEN. Great blend of offense and defense, PLUS a crazy last-minute TD drive, holy yowza wowza!!

bionic77

I don't want to see incompetence on either side of the ball.

I don't want to see a 0-0 tie because neither team can execute on offense.

But I also don't want to see a 50 point explosion because one side is not playing any defense. I mean on 98% of those pass plays no one was anywhere near Ben. That is just not fun to watch.

I would always prefer to see teams execute on both offense and defense. It is fun seeing the defense make plays too. Whether it be in a sack, blowing up a run play, or making a play on the ball.

I don't want to see incompetence on either side of the ball.

I don't want to see a 0-0 tie because neither team can execute on offense.

But I also don't want to see a 50 point explosion because one side is not playing any defense. I mean on 98% of those pass plays no one was anywhere near Ben. That is just not fun to watch.

I would always prefer to see teams execute on both offense and defense. It is fun seeing the defense make plays too. Whether it be in a sack, blowing up a run play, or making a play on the ball.
Okay, I'm with you. That game was still incredibly entertaining, though. But you're right, a nice back and forth struggle is ideal.

Top Bottom