• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

TheFatOne

These are the kind of games the Broncos have won all year.

You want a high scoring game where Peyton has to throw from behind in volume.

Yup, and that's why a healthy Steelers is a bad matchup for the Broncos. Now all Manning has to do is manage the game which is no guarantee given how he has played this year.

Spinluck

I felt good about the Pats chances against KC with Edelman back, but not with a gimpy Gronk. Have seen this before, and it wasn't good. No idea what to expect from the Pats tomorrow anymore.

Hmm, yeah doesn't sound good.

I do not remember Gronk getting hurt again this season. Was it the Dolphins game (the one where they should've just sat starters at the half)?

I am usually against resting players pretty much a whole game before the post season (fucking Colts). But with the costly injuries the Pats have been having, I'm baffled they didn't take more precautions even after they were essentially a lock for one of the top 2 seeds. I could've swore Gronk was fine at the end of the season.

Godslay

Banned
Yup, and that's why a healthy Steelers is a bad matchup for the Broncos. Now all Manning has to do is manage the game which is no guarantee given how he has played this year.

Supposedly the game plan is run heavy. How much truth to that? I don't know, we'll have to wait and see. Crazy part is they are likely going to suit up 3 QBs. If Manning goes out for whatever reason, Brock is still hobbled, then we have to trust in the Semen to deliver.

Spinluck

These are the kind of games the Broncos have won all year.

You want a high scoring game where Peyton has to throw from behind in volume.

It's really weird that this is an effective gameplan against Peyton now.

I remember when teams were afraid of letting him back on the field :(.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Why was Pam replaced again? What was FOX's reason?

I don't know what the official reason for the shift in the lineups was. But Joe Buck and her did not get along at all on air. It was pretty obvious.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Supposedly the game plan is run heavy. How much truth to that? I don't know, we'll have to wait and see. Crazy part is they are likely going to suit up 3 QBs. If Manning goes out for whatever reason, Brock is still hobbled, then we have to trust in the Semen to deliver.

I hope you're right. Defending the run is what the Steelers defense actually does well.

I'm depending on the Broncos defensive game plan to consist of letting Toussant run wild.

spyder_ur

I do not remember Gronk getting hurt again this season. Was it the Dolphins game (the one where they should've just sat starters at the half)?

I am usually against resting players pretty much a whole game before the post season (fucking Colts). But with the costly injuries the Pats have been having, I'm baffled they didn't take more precautions even after they were essentially a lock for one of the top 2 seeds. I could've swore Gronk was fine at the end of the season.

They took a ton of precautions. Gronk played, but if you watched the games they often split him out wide as a decoy and barely threw to him. I can only recall once they threw to him over the middle where he could take a big hit - the 4th down play against the Jets. But yeah, I would've been fine with him sitting completely.

They did rest basically any defensive player who was nicked up in week 17.

Stuff happens though.

Spinluck

They took a ton of precautions. Gronk played, but if you watched the games they often split him out wide as a decoy and barely threw to him. I can only recall once they threw to him over the middle where he could take a big hit - the 4th down play against the Jets. But yeah, I would've been fine with him sitting completely.

They did rest basically any defensive player who was nicked up in week 17.

Stuff happens though.

I didn't watch all the games, but that actually didn't catch my eye since they move Gronk around a lot. You're right however, injury luck is injury luck, you either have it or you don't.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
A buddy at Tampa International Airport just sent me a photo of Lane Kiffin in one of the terminals flying back to Birmingham.

Bucs OC job?

Line_HTX

I don't know what the official reason for the shift in the lineups was. But Joe Buck and her did not get along at all on air. It was pretty obvious.

I don't remember hearing Joe having an issue on air. Looked pretty standard to me with all the boring play-by-play.

Godslay

Banned
It's really weird that this is an effective gameplan against Peyton now.

I remember when teams were afraid of letting him back on the field :(.

It might not be an effective gameplan.

I'm just basing it on the idea that Manning hasn't shown us that he's any different than the first 7 or so games where he was decent in spots, but horrible for the most part.

Steelers get an early lead and the Broncos panic and abandon the run? That's not good if we have Manning out there slinging pics and making mistakes. Increased volume of passes should increase the likelihood of mistakes.

If we have the fresh Manning of old, then it's less of a problem. Or if they balance it out and lean on the run game even if down.

Really it just depends on who we get back there. Right now it's a huge question mark of who Manning is at this point.

A buddy at Tampa International Airport just sent me a photo of Lane Kiffin in one of the terminals flying back to Birmingham.

Bucs OC job?

Y? OC at Alabama is honestly a better job. Plus the whole reason they kept Koetter in the first place (allegedly) is that Jame would have continuity from playing in the same system. Meaning Koetter would definitely have a heavy influence over the offensive side of the ball. Lane would be neutered there.

Unless he really wants another NFL HC job and thinks this is the best path to it

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If Landry starts and wins this game does he become a Pittsburgh legend?

He already is a Pittsburgh legend!

WkILtLd.jpg

TheFatOne

I'm not sure if it was any specific game he got hurt or a more overall thing. Like his knee wearing down over the course of the season which would be very concerning moving forward. Gronk should not have played the last game, and Brady shouldn't have played the last game. It was clear the Pats were playing not to get hurt, but even then Brady got hurt because that's generally what happens when you play that way. That was a bad mistake on Belichicks part. He's had a bad month of coaching. Lots of questionable calls the last 4 games of the season. Who knows maybe it's just the Pats leaking things when Gronk is going to be fine as a way to mess with KC, but I think that is unlikely in this situation.

That plays right into the Steelers hand though. Steelers can't stop the pass at all so not attacking their biggest weakness consistently will be a mistake. Especially if the Broncos don't get the running game going. At this point I don't trust Manning not to do anything stupid. I'm going to believe he can manage a game when he actually does so. Broncos are going to win, but I think Manning makes this a closer game than it should be.

effzee

Kimberly JonesVerified account
‏@KimJonesSports
I asked John Mara if he cares that NYG players seem happy with McAdoo hire. Not really. "Their job is to make me happy," Mara said.

Please take note Lurie.

Godslay

Banned
I hope you're right. Defending the run is what the Steelers defense actually does well.

I'm depending on the Broncos defensive game plan to consist of letting Toussant run wild.

I'd be fine with a run based gameplan. It's the one place that the OL has improved dramatically at, and if they can run on the Steelers it makes easing Manning back in that much easier.

That plays right into the Steelers hand though. Steelers can't stop the pass at all so not attacking their biggest weakness consistently will be a mistake. Especially if the Broncos don't get the running game going. At this point I don't trust Manning not to do anything stupid. I'm going to believe he can manage a game when he actually does so. Broncos are going to win, but I think Manning makes this a closer game than it should be.

We ran for 104 / 4.2 YPC on them last time with a hobbled CJ. Not great, but I think CJ changes that picture.

h1nch

Such horse shit, go ahead and tell me why I'll wait.

- They'd be trading a metro area of like 8 million ppl for a metro area of 3 million ppl. SA's TV market is proportionally smaller as well.
- The Raiders have no history in Texas so there isn't much of an existing fanbase here. Most SA residents are Cowboys fans.
- The Alamodome is not an NFL-caliber stadium. It works as a temporary home but would need hundreds of millions of dollars of renovations to be a viable permanent home. It's literally the Edward Jones Dome w/ less mileage on it.
- He bought land off of I35 between SA and Austin? Fantastic. Nobody in SA is driving all the way to San Marcos or wherever just to watch a mediocre football team play. Putting a stadium out there would benefit nobody.

It's not impossible, but I'm very skeptical. I'd be more in support of a move if they committed to renovating and using the Alamodome so that it's not completely worthless, but it doesn't seem like Davis would be interested in that.

bionic77

Steelers run defense is decent.

The key against our D is not to give us a takeaway. Protect the ball and eventually you can take advantage of the mistakes we will make.

I think our best chance is to sign Tebow off the street. Denver would be legit shook.

effzee

Great article that sums up the Eagles debacle nicely: http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/01/15/eagles-wake-up-call-the-difference-with-pederson/

The Eagles weren’t blown away by Doug Pederson, and there’s really no getting around that.

The story will come out nice and clean once it makes its way through the spin cycle: the team’s interest in other candidates was overstated; they had an eye towards Pederson the whole time; and in the end, they landed the guy that felt like the best fit. It will serve as a nice touch-up marker for an organization attempting to project an image of stability and success as they emerge from this turbulent multi-week coaching search.

Wash though they may, it'll be tough to scrub away these facts:

1) Pederson went into this process as one of the Eagles' top targets.
2) The Eagles sat down with Pederson at the beginning of the week
3) After that interview, they made a push to sign Ben McAdoo and, once denied, intensified talks with Tom Coughlin in hopes of working something out.

Those are not the actions of a team that had their socks knocked off by Pederson during their five hours together in Kansas City. If that was the case, they would have sat tight, made the offer and waited until the Chiefs were done before making their official announcement. Instead, they scrambled to try and secure other options.

Is that the end of the world? Not necessarily. Just because you weren't the first choice or a knockout during an interview scheduled smack in the middle of a postseason run doesn't mean that it won't work out. Regardless of perception, we don't know what type of head coach he will be until he does it and does it for an extended period of time.

But it is important in terms of evaluating the organization's performance during this process. From that perspective, they settled.

The Eagles misread the market, and just as importantly, their value in it. Jeffrey Lurie didn't want any surprises this time. Feeling burned by what went down with Chip Kelly, he chose a more methodical approach. They were going to take their time to ensure that they found someone who was a match in terms of personality, power structure and so on.

And so they watched as one of their top candidates, Adam Gase, inked a deal in Miami, then saw McAdoo sign in New York. With two of their top targets off the board the Eagles turned their attention to Coughlin, who basically said "thanks but no thanks." That left Pederson and in-house candidates Pat Shurmur and Duce Staley as the remaining options among those interviewed.

"They wanted to make sure that they got to know their candidates well," said Adam Schefter. "And in this particular case, the NFL world doesn't stop. These other teams move. So if you like Gase, he's not going to be there. You like McAdoo, he's not going to be there. If you want to get one of these guys, you've gotta move quick. And that conflicted with what they wanted to do in terms of a patient approach."

With an overall thin crop, did they realize that desirable coaches were going to be plucked quick? Did they think they had the sway to overcome supply and demand? If the plan was to be more methodical and they knew coaches would get snatched up at a rapid rate, why didn't they conduct a more expansive search to increase the chances of unearthing a gem?

Pederson is a Reid disciple and the hope is, like Reid, Pederson will rise from relative obscurity to become one of the better head coaches in the National Football League. And he may do just that. But we're not talking about mirror situations here.

Reid might not have been the public's favorite but he left a mark on the search committee that all but forced them to hire the ol' quarterbacks coach out of Green Bay. Here, it's different. Here, the Eagles were so impressed that they went out and pursued two other men for the job.

That's not everything, but it's not nothing, either.

Kimberly JonesVerified account
‏@KimJonesSports
I asked John Mara if he cares that NYG players seem happy with McAdoo hire. Not really. "Their job is to make me happy," Mara said.

Please take note Lurie.

"The coaches job is to make the players happy and make the owner feel like he also knows stuff about football." Lurie said.

Zeke

- They'd be trading a metro area of like 8 million ppl for a metro area of 3 million ppl. SA's TV market is proportionally smaller as well.
- The Raiders have no history in Texas so there isn't much of an existing fanbase here. Most SA residents are Cowboys fains.
- The Alamodome is not an NFL-caliber stadium. It works as a temporary home but would need hundreds of millions of dollars of renovations to be a viable permanent home. It's literally the Edward Jones Dome w/ less mileage on it.
- He bought land off of I35 between SA and Austin? Fantastic. Nobody in SA is driving all the way to San Marcos or wherever just to watch a mediocre football team play. Putting a stadium out there would benefit nobody.

It's not impossible, but I'm very skeptical. I'd be more in support of a move if they committed to renovating and using the Alamodome so that it's not completely worthless, but it doesn't seem like Davis would be interested in that.
Davis gets SA and Austin plus the all of south Texas and even northern Mexico ie Monterrey which is the third largest metro in Mexico and wealthiest city in Mexico. The Oilers had no history in Tennessee, the browns had no history in Baltimore, the Colts had no history in Indy that's a weak ass excuse. The dome is already getting 40 million in renovations for the final four so that's a moot point. The dome worked great for the homeless saints it would work just fine as a stop gap stadium. The only real point you have is your last one being the location of a new stadium. It's an awful spot for sure north SA would be his best bet.

Hunter S.

Change the words Broncos with any other playoff team and Manning with any other QB and your post is basically true too. The Broncos have been insanely beat up in the middle and latter part of the year. They just are not missing guys due to the rest mostly. Manning won eight of 9 games this year mostly cause of the teams big D. The big D.

Top Bottom