• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

Spinluck

It might not be an effective gameplan.

I'm just basing it on the idea that Manning hasn't shown us that he's any different than the first 7 or so games where he was decent in spots, but horrible for the most part.

Steelers get an early lead and the Broncos panic and abandon the run? That's not good if we have Manning out there slinging pics and making mistakes. Increased volume of passes should increase the likelihood of mistakes.

If we have the fresh Manning of old, then it's less of a problem. Or if they balance it out and lean on the run game even if down.

Really it just depends on who we get back there. Right now it's a huge question mark of who Manning is at this point.

Right. Biggest question mark of the game is him for sure. Last game against the Chargers was far too little of a sample size to really know where he is at but I think he'll be in game managing form without any doubt. I think the days of Peyton taking over a game and dominating are over, he's carried teams for a long time, time for him hitch along for a ride. The Chargers game was him checking to runs whenever he saw an opportunity, and making mostly safe easy throws.

One thing I found amazing was that he was still a better deep passer than Brady this year. If I remember correctly based off that line of stats Squick posted over a week or so ago on 20+ yd throws. I think that's what is most important, I think he'll have to make some big throws this week to win. Mostly the downfield and anything across the field. Do you think he has over or under 25 attempts?

I'm not sure if it was any specific game he got hurt or a more overall thing. Like his knee wearing down over the course of the season which would be very concerning moving forward. Gronk should not have played the last game, and Brady shouldn't have played the last game. It was clear the Pats were playing not to get hurt, but even then Brady got hurt because that's generally what happens when you play that way. That was a bad mistake on Belichicks part. He's had a bad month of coaching. Lots of questionable calls the last 4 games of the season. Who knows maybe it's just the Pats leaking things when Gronk is going to be fine as a way to mess with KC, but I think that is unlikely in this situation.

Yeah it doesn't sound like the usual Pats fucking with teams through the injury report. Gronk has a history with being hurt at some of the worst times. Dude's always taking a beating. I dunno where Edles is health wise but he's probably gonna be targeted like 15 times this game lol.

TheFatOne

Was that not part of the rushing game?

It's valid, but hard to rely on end around gaining 20+ yards in the rematch. They are going to have to find different ways to run on the Steelers consistently. If they can scheme it up again like they did in the first meeting then they should be fine. The issue comes if the Steelers can stop all that, and force Manning to throw more. Much like the Patriots I have no idea what to expect from the Broncos.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Davis gets SA and Austin plus the all of south Texas and even northern Mexico ie Monterrey which is the third largest metro in Mexico and wealthiest city in Mexico. The Oilers had no history in Tennessee, the browns had no history in Baltimore, the Colts had no history in Indy that's a weak ass excuse. The dome is already getting 40 million in renovations for the final four so that's a moot point. The dome worked great for the homeless saints it would work just fine as a stop gap stadium. The only real point you have is your last one being the location of a new stadium. It's an awful spot for sure north SA would be his best bet.

North SA is where the money is at anyway. Plus it's even closer to Austin.

bionic77

He also single-handedly kept the Bungholes out of the playoffs.
I hate that scumbag but that's not true.

He singlehandely won the game (he murdered our two best players and iced the game with that INT). If Hill doesn't fumble he is the hero that shit fanbase deserved.

But thank God that He continued his vendetta against Ohio!

Right. Biggest question mark of the game is him for sure. Last game against the Chargers was far too little of a sample size to really know where he is at but I think he'll be in game managing form without any doubt. I think the days of Peyton taking over a game and dominating are over, he's carried teams for a long time, time for him hitch along for a ride. The Chargers game was him checking to runs whenever he saw an opportunity, and making mostly safe easy throws.

One thing I found amazing was that he was still a better deep passer than Brady this year. If I remember correctly based off that line of stats Squick posted over a week or so ago on 20+ yd throws. I think that's what is most important, I think he'll have to make some big throws this week to win. Mostly the downfield and anything across the field. Do you think he has over or under 25 attempts?

You have to think that the game plan will be about 50/50. That would mean that they should give him about 30 to 35 throws.

qGdcXhD.gif

Porter looks healthy enough to suit up again.

Zeke

North SA is where the money is at anyway. Plus it's even closer to Austin.
Would be a great point for the folks trying to get that LStar train done. Imagine a line running between SA and Austin with a stop at a potential stadium.

Line_HTX

Man the Steelers are hurting bad. Hard to see them winning against the Broncos unless Peyton plays terribly.

They should just throw it back to CJ Anderson and let him kill the clock.

Speaking of hurt, what's the Broncos defense looking like right now? They should all at least be probable, I think?

Godslay

Banned
I also excluded your second best rusher of the day, Brock Osweiler.

Fair enough, they're still rush yards given up by the D.

I know it's counter to what you think is the strength of your defense, and that's fine. I feel that a run heavy gameplan (this means limiting Peyton to around ~30 throws) will be most effective for the Broncos for a few reasons.

Strength of the OL is now run blocking. It's improved every week since the bye. We also now run a guard rotation that has been working very well in keeping guys fresh.

CJ Anderson is now healthy.

Will the Steelers challenge Manning to throw down the field or will they back off? If they back off, Manning will exploit that with the run. Otherwise Manning will have to beat them down the field, and if he can then the run game comes back into play. If he can't, we'll that throws a wrench into things as we've seen before.

The other thing that also plays into this is the altitude. Everybody laughs like it's some non-factor. Rewatch the Bengals in Denver. Came out with a fury, blew their load, and they were completed gassed in the 4th quarter. The same thing applies here. If Denver goes run heavy, that tires out a defense more than the offense. Then you'll start to see bigger holes, missed tackles, and the like. We're not playing in Pittsburgh.

Also keeps the D fresh(er), if they can execute nice methodical grind drives.

Now obviously this all goes out of the window if behind, as they'll have to throw to catch up, but I think it's sound in the sense that if executed it could grind out the Steelers and limit Manning's potential mistakes.

Who knows though, I feel if they attempt it, it can work. I know the secondary isn't great, but if they can establish any run that secondary will be even easier to pick apart. They at least have to try.

If we have some run game and methodical drives, we always the the hurry up / shotgun / pistol in the back pocket if we need to go to it.

The amount of attempts is really going to depend on the game situation, can't say. I'd like to see 30 or less.

I hate that scumbag but that's not true.

He singlehandely won the game (he murdered our two best players and iced the game with that INT). If Hill doesn't fumble he is the hero that shit fanbase deserved.

But thank God that He continued his vendetta against Ohio!

The Hill play was 95% Shazier though, and about 5% Hill. Besides, if Burfdefect does nothing on the Brown play, Steelers have 20 seconds with no timeouts and probably one down (they would need to clock the ball on the 3rd down if they don't get out of bounds to set up a 4th down FG try) to get about 15 yards for a 50 yard FG try.

Fair enough, they're still rush yards given up by the D.

I know it's counter to what you think is the strength of your defense, and that's fine. I feel that a run heavy gameplan (this means limiting Peyton to around ~30 throws) will be most effective for the Broncos for a few reasons.

Strength of the OL is now run blocking. It's improved every week since the bye. We also now run a guard rotation that has been working very well in keeping guys fresh.

CJ Anderson is now healthy.

Will the Steelers challenge Manning to throw down the field or will they back off? If they back off, Manning will exploit that with the run. Otherwise Manning will have to beat them down the field, and if he can then the run game comes back into play. If he can't, we'll that throws a wrench into things as we've seen before.

The other thing that also plays into this is the altitude. Everybody laughs like it's some non-factor. Rewatch the Bengals in Denver. Came out with a fury, blew their load, and they were completed gassed in the 4th quarter. The same thing applies here. If Denver goes run heavy, that tires out a defense more than the offense. Then you'll start to see bigger holes, missed tackles, and the like. We're not playing in Pittsburgh.

Also keeps the D fresh(er), if they can execute nice methodical grind drives.

Now obviously this all goes out of the window if behind, as they'll have to throw to catch up, but I think it's sound in the sense that if executed it could grind out the Steelers and limit Manning's potential mistakes.

Who knows though, I feel if they attempt it, it can work. I know the secondary isn't great, but if they can establish any run that secondary will be even easier to pick apart. They at least have to try.

I know you think that a Run offense is beneficial but that plays into the Steelers strengths, ESPECIALLY if Peyton can't get the ball down field.

You beat the Steelers by exploiting the holes they leave between zones. Nobody is better at this than Manning, why not do it? Running 35 times a game with Manning on the field throwing short routes and the Broncos lose for sure.

Hunter S.

Saint Antonio Raiders makes perfect sense. Raiders that come from a land of saints. No raping and pillaging like Big Ben allowed here.

I just watched the Steve Harvey episode of Comedians in Cars getting coffee.

I think the show may have jumped the shark. I don't think any episode I haven't seen yet is going to be funnier than that one was.

Line_HTX

Peyton becomes a Pittsburgh legend because they only win if he turns the ball over Hoyer style. Which is possible actually.

Okay, Peyton may have regressed because he's near the end of his career, but I HIGHLY doubt he's going to have a repeat of the Chiefs game where he got benched in the 3rd.

h1nch

Davis gets SA and Austin plus the all of south Texas and even northern Mexico ie Monterrey which is the third largest metro in Mexico and wealthiest city in Mexico. The Oilers had no history in Tennessee, the browns had no history in Baltimore, the Colts had no history in Indy that's a weak ass excuse. The dome is already getting 40 million in renovations for the final four so that's a moot point. The dome worked great for the homeless saints it would work just fine as a stop gap stadium. The only real point you have is your last one being the location of a new stadium. It's an awful spot for sure north SA would be his best bet.

Point taken re: other teams that moved, though any success building a fanbase in the region would be dependent upon them actually fielding a winning team at some point. Also, given that Davis obviously wants to stay in Oakland and would only consider SA as a fall back option, how committed do you think he would be to staying in the region long term? Would he truly spend the time and effort to invest in the community and be seen alongside the Spurs as a sports franchise the city cares about? Or would he pull a Stan Kroenke and bide his time until he can cultivate a more lucrative situation back home in California? Family history seems to suggest the latter, but Mark isn't necessarily his father.

Like I said I wouldn't mind a move, as long as we don't spend any public money on a stadium. North SA would be a cool spot as long as it's not too close to my house.

Godslay

Banned
I know you think that a Run offense is beneficial but that plays into the Steelers strentghs, ESPECIALLY if Peyton can't get the ball down field.

You beat the Steelers by exploiting the holes they leave between zones. Running 35 times a game with Manning on the field throwing short routes and the Broncos lose for sure.

If the Broncos attack the strength of the Pittsburgh defense and are able to run on it, the whole defense collapses. It makes the game that much easier for both the run and the pass.

If you attack just the secondary, you'll have success but the offense will be 1 dimensional. If things are tighter later, well it becomes more difficult as you'll have to pass on 3rd & Short (1,2,3 yards).

Spinluck

I just watched the Steve Harvey episode of Comedians in Cars getting coffee.

I think the show may have jumped the shark. I don't think any episode I haven't seen yet is going to be funnier than that one was.

Wtf, why haven't I heard of this show?

Just googled it, had no idea Seinfeld was behind this.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ben McAdoo didn't have the time to run over to JC Penny's and get a suit that fits? C'mon man!

Sure, Manning is a gimp, but he can run the offense. I would come out and go up tempo. Don't let Butler dial up those exotic blitzes and wear down the Steelers defense by making them play more snaps. Give the Broncos the lead and then let your defense sit back with two deep and see if Ben can beat you with a sprained shoulder and without AB.

Roethlisberger has been playing poorly for a month straight. If you can get a decent lead, I wouldn't expect another big comeback. What you're advocating is trying to keep the game close and win late. That's probably what the Steelers' plan is, also. I'd go for the jugular.

You guys should read the ESPN article on Raisers move. There's already a billionaire investor who has land near SA set aside specifically for the Raiders already? With a list of investors lined up. They showed Davis around SA in 2014.

Zeke

Point taken re: other teams that moved, though any success building a fanbase in the region would be dependent upon them actually fielding a winning team at some point. Also, given that Davis obviously wants to stay in Oakland and would only consider SA as a fall back option, how committed do you think he would be to staying in the region long term? Would he truly spend the time and effort to invest in the community and be seen alongside the Spurs as a sports franchise the city cares about? Or would he pull a Stan Kroenke and bide his time until he can cultivate a more lucrative situation back home in California? Family history seems to suggest the latter, but Mark isn't necessarily his father.

Like I said I wouldn't mind a move, as long as we don't spend any public money on a stadium. North SA would be a cool spot as long as it's not too close to my house.
Keeping them long term I don't think would be an issue. I'd copy what jax did lock the team into 30yr lease and make it very painful financially speaking to uproot. If the big money players buy stock in the raiders even better. I can guarantee you public money would be involved without a shadow of a doubt.

LA

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet now5 seconds ago
#Rams expected to name Rob Boras to full-time OC, tho it’s not yet official. They're interviewing passing-game coordinator candidates, too

Zeke

You guys should read the ESPN article on Raisers move. There's already a billionaire investor who has land near SA set aside specifically for the Raiders already? With a list of investors lined up. They showed Davis around SA in 2014.
You talking about the one with red McCombs talking about companies he's talked to already?

Top Bottom