• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

harSon

Banned
Our offense was horse shit the last 3-4 weeks of the season with a healthy offense. Ya'll expect our offense to do enough to win a game with Ben throwing balls with a freshly injured throwing shoulder, the best WR in football on the bench and a pair of practice squad running backs? I mean... I hope that's a formula for success - but this is probably the least confident I've been going into a game in a while.

effzee

Chip! Come back! :(

Meanwhile in Eagle land...

The problem isn’t Doug Pederson. The Eagles could have hired anybody to replace Chip Kelly. It wouldn’t matter. Until owner Jeff Lurie gives his front office a complete makeover, the Eagles are not going to be a championship team.

It’s that simple.

For a long, long time I really believed that Lurie was doing everything possible to build an elite team. He spent as much money as anybody on top free agents. He built a state-of-the-art practice facility. He delivered a truly remarkable stadium. He filled the coaching and scouting departments with the most talented people he could find.

The front office model that led to the Eagles becoming one of the NFL’s winningest teams from 2000 though 2009 was Andy Reid as head coach, Joe Banner running all franchise operations and a general manager in either Tom Modrak or Tom Heckert who had a varying degree of power.

That model worked wonders. Only the Colts and Patriots won more games during that 10-year span, and only the Patriots won more playoff games. During that stretch, the Eagles won 10 playoff games. Since that stretch, they’ve won none.

The franchise’s decline directly follows Howie Roseman’s rise to power.

Roseman has been general manager since 2010, minus last year, when Chip Kelly had the power. These have been dark days, filled with coaching turnover, quarterback instability, poor to average drafts and free agency catastrophes.

And precisely zero playoff wins.

Roseman is one of the most curious people to ever work for the Eagles. His track record is spotty, but he has Lurie convinced he’s some sort of boy wonder who can do no wrong. Lurie even fired Banner, his closest friend, in order to give Roseman even more power.

I predicted a couple weeks ago that the top coaching candidates would reject the Eagles because people league-wide just don’t want to work with Roseman. And here we are two weeks later with a guy coaching the Eagles who seven years ago was a high school coach in Louisiana.

This is such an unhealthy way to run a football team, and it’s not conducive to winning.

The Eagles desperately need an infusion of young talent to turn around a seven-year stretch in which they’ve gone 0-3 in the postseason, losing twice at home.

But there’s nobody in the organization capable of identifying the type of talent the Eagles need.

It’s not a coincidence when a team goes this long without accomplishing anything. Poor drafting, weak free agent acquisitions, bad coaching hires all contribute to it, and without a smart, aggressive general manager with an eye for talent, the Eagles will continue to float adrift, essentially irrelevant.

Lurie is a smart guy. I’ve been around him for more than two decades. I’m convinced he genuinely wants more than anything to bring an NFL championship to Philly. I just don’t think he knows how to do it.

And his blind spot for Roseman is truly baffling.

“Everybody knows Howie is holding back the organization,” an NFL front-office executive said earlier this week. “Everybody but one person. And that person is the only one who matters. Jeffrey Lurie. He just doesn’t see it.”

Roseman oversaw the coaching search along with Lurie and team president Don Smolenski — not a football person in sight — and it was clear early on that anybody who had ever as much as exchanged an annoyed glance with Howie just wouldn’t be contacted. It almost seemed like the No. 1 qualification was being able to co-exist with Howie.

They weren’t looking for someone who understands offense or knows defense or possesses leadership techniques or coaching experience or motivational ability.

No, a guy who could get along with Howie.

How else do you explain the Eagles' hiring Pederson, a very nice guy, who has had all of seven years of coaching experience beyond high school?

What exactly are his qualifications? He’s never had a top-20 offense in three years in K.C., and his quarterbacks in two years as Reid’s QB coach were mediocre at best.

But this isn’t really about Pederson, who is a bright, articulate, well-liked guy. It’s about Lurie and his front office. Because without an effective front office, Pederson simply doesn’t have a chance. No coach would.

Do you think Reid wins anything without Donovan and Trott and Dawk and Tra and Duce and Lito and Sheldon and Brian Westbrook and Corey Simon?

Those players didn’t just materialize out of nowhere. Every one of them was drafted here between 1996 and 2002.

That’s eight all-time Eagles greats, and right now there’s one all-time Eagles great on the roster: Fletcher Cox.

Without playmakers, no coach is winning here. Not Big Red, not Chip, not Buck Shaw.

And without a front office acutely capable of identifying elite playmakers on both sides of the ball, we’re just going to end up with more of the same.

The Eagles are one of only 11 NFL teams that hasn’t won a playoff game the last seven years, and Lurie has to understand it’s not a coincidence. It’s not the result of bad luck or bad breaks or bad bounces.

He’s got to take a long hard look at himself and his blind trust in Roseman. He’s got to rebuild the front office so a proven general manager has final say over personnel decisions, and Howie is assigned to what he’s really good at — contracts, salary cap, executing trades.

Only then will this team have a realistic chance of doing something special. Only then will this team have a realistic chance of being something special.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-p...tter-until-eagles-fix-disastrous-front-office

Kill me now :(

Hunter S.

With all the complaints now. What are the betting probabilities if the Broncos win?

A) Steeler GAF will whine even more because of injuries and what could of been.

B) Steeler GAF will make fun of the Patriots and support the Chiefs. Quietly disappearing with their tails between their legs.

C) Harson will fall off a cliff and become a 49ers fan. Too embarrassed to show his little face here again.

D) Deacon will have a stroke and heart attack.

Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

My Apologies.

Peyton Manning is a choker when HEALTHY. No further comment required.

It would take an all time choke for them to lose.

It would have to be whole team. Peyton can't do it by himself.

Don't see it happening.

Peyton has a bad game and that whole team falls apart. Could the defense bail him out? Certainly, but shy of a complete blowout with multiple turnovers I doubt that happens. And if Ben is in one of his multiple pick throwing moods we would never have won anyway.

With all the complaints now. What are the betting probabilities if the Broncos win?

B) Steeler GAF will make fun of the Patriots and support the Chiefs. Quietly disappearing with their tails between there legs.

C) Harson will fall off a cliff and become a 49ers fan. Too embarrassed to show his little face here again.

And if the Steelers win?

A) There will be a 10 page thread arguing about whether Peyton Manning is the world's biggest choker. Only question is will they resurrect the existing thread or start a new one?

Hunter S.

And if the Steelers win?

A) There will be a 10 page thread arguing about whether Peyton Manning is the world's biggest choker. Only question is will they resurrect the existing thread or start a new one?

The old one asked if he was the greatest QB of all time. He actually got the support until the Super Bowl.

Godslay

Banned
My Apologies.

Peyton Manning is a choker when HEALTHY. No further comment required.

Peyton has a bad game and that whole team falls apart. Could the defense bail him out? Certainly, but shy of a complete blowout with multiple turnovers I doubt that happens. And if Ben is in one of his multiple pick throwing moods we would never have won anyway.

Thanks. Never said I was worried about a choke. To be honest, I don't really care if it happens. So be it.

As far as Peyton having a bad game and the whole team falling apart?

Not this year, unless of course he throws a bunch of pick sixes.

jmdajr

What's for lunch you fat fucks.

thumb_600.jpg

bionic77

And if the Steelers win?

Manning and Ben are going to be gimps.

Gimps can't be called chokers.

It's against the rules.

harSon

Banned

B) Steeler GAF will make fun of the Patriots and support the Chiefs. Quietly disappearing with their tails between their legs.

Such disgusting slander should be bannable

Doomsayer

You guys, you guys!

FMT has an entirely different meaning! It may explain why he loves poop so much!

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/poop-pills-investigated-obesity-treatment

[Could an exchange of poop from a slim person help an obese individual lose weight? We could soon find out, as scientists in the U.S. are embarking on a clinical trial to find out whether so called “fecal microbiota transplantation” (FMT) can aid weight loss.

Hearing the term “fecal transplant” may leave you with some tense glute muscles, and yes, the procedure can involve exactly what you’re thinking (a poop enema, in case you’re unimaginative). But this upcoming trial, led by Dr. Elaine Yu from Massachusetts General Hospital, will involve taking freeze-dried poop that’s been popped in a pill. We’ll let you decide which is the lesser of these two evils.

There is, of course, method behind the madness. The microbes in our gut, collectively called the gut microbiome, play a whole host of roles in the body, from helping us break down food to influencing our metabolism, mood, and even behavior. And in recent years, the possibility that they could also shape our body composition has been on scientists’ radars. With obesity a worsening worldwide crisis, the idea is certainly worth investigating, and studies have churned out some fascinating results.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/poop-pills-investigated-obesity-treatment

Furyous

What's for lunch you fat fucks.

$20 in Subway sandwiches.

The H8ters guide to the Seattle Seahawks

S rank Russell Wison slander right here:

If Darren Rovell were an elusive athlete with a horseshoe lodged firmly up his ass, he would be Russell Wilson. Wilson is a walking stereotype of what fans always dreamed of as the ideal likeable athlete until we realized how freaking unbearable the act is.

And it sucks, because by all accounts Russell Wilson should be a fantastic guy. In any other context, he should be cheered. Glorified. Praised. He’s an upstanding man with clear values and blah blah blah I HATE HIM.

"Would you like a sports cliche? I knew you would."
“Would you like a sports cliche? I knew you would.”

Wilson is not only a frustratingly talented player, but he’s also a great philanthropist for the Seattle area. This is public knowledge, because no hospital visit goes untweeted.

The old one asked if he was the greatest QB of all time. He actually got the support until the Super Bowl.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762335

Manning and Ben are going to be gimps.

Gimps can't be called chokers.

It's against the rules.

This is Manning's Victory lap. He HAS to win.

No way he goes out for multiple games, then comes back and gets benched, all in a season in which nearly everyone is wondering aloud whether or not he should just pack it in, and gets welcomed back by Elway for one more season.

rando14

$20 in Subway sandwiches.

The H8ters guide to the Seattle Seahawks

S rank Russell Wison slander right here:

If Darren Rovell were an elusive athlete with a horseshoe lodged firmly up his ass, he would be Russell Wilson. Wilson is a walking stereotype of what fans always dreamed of as the ideal likeable athlete until we realized how freaking unbearable the act is.

And it sucks, because by all accounts Russell Wilson should be a fantastic guy. In any other context, he should be cheered. Glorified. Praised. He’s an upstanding man with clear values and blah blah blah I HATE HIM.

"Would you like a sports cliche? I knew you would."
“Would you like a sports cliche? I knew you would.”

Wilson is not only a frustratingly talented player, but he’s also a great philanthropist for the Seattle area. This is public knowledge, because no hospital visit goes untweeted.

That guy sounds mad

eznark

Banned
Remember when I was saying how awesome Ken Zampese is and how Hue might bring him along?

Sorry Cleve. He just got promoted to OC.

God damn Marvin Lewis can hire coaches.

Godslay

Banned
This is Manning's Victory lap. He HAS to win.

No way he goes out for multiple games, then comes back and gets benched, all in a season in which nearly everyone is wondering aloud whether or not he should just pack it in, and gets welcomed back by Elway for one more season.

Nobody has to do anything, and most don't expect him to win it all.

Winning the Superbowl isn't easy, so odds are we don't win it all this year.

Big deal, expectations are low. I feel like you're a year behind.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Munchak and Porter both got a $10k fine from the NFL.

Finishing off the damage:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Bengals CB Adam Jones was fined $28,940 for unsportsmanlike conduct, making contact with a game official.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Bengals Domata Peko & Wallace Gilberry fined $8,681 for unnecessary roughness. Steeler Ramon Foster fined $17,363 for unnecessary roughness

eznark

Banned
Finishing off the damage:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Bengals CB Adam Jones was fined $28,940 for unsportsmanlike conduct, making contact with a game official.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Bengals Domata Peko & Wallace Gilberry fined $8,681 for unnecessary roughness. Steeler Ramon Foster fined $17,363 for unnecessary roughness

How long is Shazier suspended for?

MechDX

Mechs fuck you fact of the day:

Chip Kelly and BOB have been close friends for the past 20 years and will meet in the Super bowl next year.

Line_HTX

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 15m15 minutes ago

No fines for Texans defensive linemen Jared Crick or Brandon Dunn for unnecessary roughness penalties in playoff loss to Chiefs.

Eric Fisher got away with shoving a person's head into the ground, so... That's all in the past and everyone's moved on. Carry on.

For anybody else that has seen Carson Wentz plays, why do you think he is a top QB prospects? He reminds me a lot of a more polished Colin Klein. He's very inaccurate, he stares down receivers, is a slow processor of information, and relies on his ability to act as a power runner at the FCS level too much. He might be successful if he had a year or two develop behind a competent offensive mind and system, but I don't see how a troubled franchise can trot him out there next year...

Godslay

Banned
For anybody else that has seen Carson Wentz plays, why do you think he is a top QB prospects? He reminds me a lot of a more polished Colin Klein. He's very inaccurate, he stares down receivers, is a slow processor of information, and relies on his ability to act as a power runner at the FCS level too much. He might be successful if he had a year or two develop behind a competent offensive mind and system, but I don't see how a troubled franchise can trot him out there next year...

I've watched all his games, and I agree with most of this.

Feet are a bit sloppy too.

He has to sit if he's going to be successful long term.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen will be off the air as he begins treatments for throat cancer.

"More than a week ago, I was diagnosed with a Stage IV throat cancer," Mortensen said in a statement Friday. "My focus shifted significantly to gathering information about the specifics of this cancer. The initial diagnosis was confirmed Friday and there is another test remaining that will determine the best possible treatment plan that will commence in the very immediate future.

"Consequently, with the support and encouragement from ESPN president John Skipper and many others at ESPN, I am temporarily stepping away from my normal NFL coverage duties to better engage this opportunity to fight the good fight that is projected to affect almost 1.7 million Americans with new cases in 2016.

"I have many inspirational examples of men, women and children who have faced this very fight. We all know somebody, right? I also have the love and prayers of my wife Micki, my family, my friends, colleagues and, most of all, my faith that serve as sources of tremendous strength. I have a peace about this and look forward to the battle."

Fuck cancer. Good luck, Mort!

Gigglepoo

If the Broncos lose, would this be Peyton's most embarrassing choke? The Steelers can't have more than a 10% win probability considering all of their injuries.

ESPN didn't report it.

Local Philly ABC affiliate reported it.

Jaws helping the Eagles hire a head coach shows that ESPN has no journalistic integrity.

Top Bottom