• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

Weird thing to say considering his best game was against Denver and that was also his first game with Chud at OC...

Later in the season, Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley were running the offense better than Hasslebald who ended up being a handicap because he couldn't throw downfield.

I think Luck would've bounced back after the Denver game. Aside from some games where he was just playing like shit, there was some instances where he clearly looked hurt and wasn't himself. Irsay in his presser even said Luck was more hurt than they let on lol. League hasn't even looked into the fact that they kept him off the injury report.

Yeah I agree the Colts were dogging the league by not revealing apparent injuries to Luck, but I think they have more problems than Luck being hurt. Colts were a flawed team this year with or without Luck. But my point was that the South is a dogshit conference, the 2nd most dogshit conference in the NFL.

I'm also tired of teams who under perform and then try to save face/excitement for next season, by saying that their QB who wasn't on the injury report was really hurt all season.

Akim

Banned
I don't know why everyone is so up on the "Seahawks are lucky" talk.

Sure they are sometimes lucky, all teams are.

Adrian Peterson fumbles - he always does. They stripped him using team D.

Blair Walsh missed the kick, so what? It was high pressure, laces in, subzero temperature. That's not really luck.

The Vikings didn't score 1 TD. That's not luck.

What about the terrible PI call on Kam Chancellor that got the Vikings close to field goal range in the first place? Not so lucky there.

What about the Seahawks punter completely going nuts and running with the ball, trying to hurdle a defender, breaking his nose, and costing them points. Not very lucky.

Jerm411

Sounds like the weather in Foxboro on Saturday is going to be shitty...interesting to see how that affects the game...

Kelce gonna have to come up big time.

MechDX

Dude got flagged for lunging at Joey Porter like a tool

He shouldn't have been involved.

Not surprised you'd defend blatant stupidity on the field.

If Pacman Jones was a Packer the fanbase would roast him for costing the game. He had every opportunity, same as everyone else, to walk away from that shit knowing that the game is on the line. Instead he decided to practically hurl himself over a ref to get at a Pittsburgh coach talking shit. How is it surprising he got a flag thrown on him?

1) Why was Porter on the field? Not supposed to be

2) Agreed he should have been the bigger man and walked away so that makes him an idiot.

Oh and damn!

https://www.gofundme.com/hfycvatw

Brian Hoyer moving expenses

Line_HTX

In all honesty though, take the playoff disaster out for a moment. O'Brien did very well to turn the team around after what was looking to be a tanking season with the QB carousel. I'd say he did enough to stay. But it bears repeating over and over again, get an ACTUAL quarterback who should not be one who can't be the hero.

I don't care if everyone calls us "Just glad to be here," it's better to make it to begin with than missing out. I'll take those chances.

*Backhands spin

I don't know why everyone is so up on the "Seahawks are lucky" talk.

Sure they are sometimes lucky, all teams are.

Adrian Peterson fumbles - he always does. They stripped him using team D.

Blair Walsh missed the kick, so what? It was high pressure, laces in, subzero temperature. That's not really luck.

The Vikings didn't score 1 TD. That's not luck.

What about the terrible PI call on Kam Chancellor that got the Vikings close to field goal range in the first place? Not so lucky there.

What about the Seahawks punter completely going nuts and running with the ball, trying to hurdle a defender, breaking his nose, and costing them points. Not very lucky.

Yep. Winning teams make their own luck, losing teams seem to always be on the otherside of luck. If Minnesota was playing a worse team this week, it would have been 16 - 0 in the 4th quarter, not 9 - 0, and the other team wouldn't be in that position to 'be lucky.'

Respect

I think every Pats fan is more concerned about the Chiefs than any other team in the AFC.

My concern list going into last weekend:

1. Kansas City
2. @Denver
3. Pittsburgh
4. Cincinatti
5. Houston

WIth Rothlisberger being hurt and Antonio Brown possibly not playing, the threat of the Steelers really dropped though.

I think @Denver would be a bigger challenge than KC @ home. KC's d has been great...especially the front seven, add in the awful the way the O-line has been playing and it is a recipe for disaster. But, NE defense has played very well this year and they get the bonus of being at home in this one. The defense is good enough to win this game if the offense protects the football.

jmdajr

Ill be labeled as being "salty" or whatever but the Chriefs offense isnt that good. Texans D held them to two field goals in the first half and just broke in the second by Hoyers repeated gifts

Hoyer also wasnt hit all that much he just flat out choked while Justin Houston looked no where near full strength.

I wasn't impressed much either. Really the score should have been worse based on how inept we were.

Maybe they were just playing it safe, or Texans D better than we think, who knows.

I don't think Chiefs can go all the way with the offense. But if Pey Pey has Hoyer like performance, Chiefs can get passed them.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
1) Why was Porter on the field? Not supposed to be

2) Agreed he should have been the bigger man and walked away so that makes him an idiot.

Not even defending Porter on the field! Refs aren't always consistent in their application of penalties in those situations (I actually prefer it when they just break it up and don't throw flags instead of deciding the game with it). On the other hand, you can't be surprised the Bengals got flagged.

I don't like Stephen Ross as an owner but I don't think La Canfora raises any interesting points in this article, to be honest.

Lest anyone forget, Ryan Tannehill is also the starting quarterback. For all of Gase's considerable expert coaching jobs, turning the project that is Tannehill into a true winning starter in the NFL would be his Mona Lisa.
Again, I have very mixed feelings on Tannehill but this is silly. Project? Please. The team can absolutely win with him if the TEAM stops playing like shit. Win a SB? Who knows, but there is no reason Tannehill can't lead an otherwise solid team to 10 wins or so.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually watches Dolphins games.

bionic77

I think every Pats fan is more concerned about the Chiefs than any other team in the AFC.

My concern list going into last weekend:

1. Kansas City
2. @Denver
3. Pittsburgh
4. Cincinatti
5. Houston

WIth Rothlisberger being hurt and Antonio Brown possibly not playing, the threat of the Steelers really dropped though.
Dirtiest player in the league hurt both of them and says you are welcome.

He wants to know which AFC team is going to pay his fine and suspension?

Line_HTX

Seahawks are lucky because they pull shit out of their ass when they need it most, like that botched snap.

They topdick the perfect card on the exact turn to use it.

I don't like Stephen Ross as an owner but I don't think La Canfora raises any interesting points in this article, to be honest.

Again, I have very mixed feelings on Tannehill but this is silly. Project? Please. The team can absolutely win with him if the TEAM stops playing like shit. Win a SB? Who knows, but there is no reason Tannehill can't lead an otherwise solid team to 10 wins or so.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually watches Dolphins games.

Well that's the first I've heard that Ross rushed the hiring process, on Saturday all you heard was how they "stuck to the process" so that's concerning if true. I agree about Tannehill though and Gase had said he loves both our RB and is going to push hard to keep Miller which is great and I'm glad somebody finally recognizes it. Tannehill can absolutely thrive under the right system and Gase was hired specifically for that so let's hope for the best.

The Patriots will beat Kansas City unless Brady gets hurt. The Chiefs have been feasting on turnovers and I could see that ending.

The Panthers could lose to Seattle but I expect them to squeak by. The way I see this game turning is that the Panthers get out to a two score lead, Seattle storms back but the Panthers hold on to win.

I think the Cardinals dominate Green Bay.

I'm a Broncos fan but I think the Broncos game could go either way. My hope is that the defense gets to Ben and forces some turnovers, which is something that they have not been the beneficiary of lately. I don't think the Broncos defense will get abused like they did in the last meeting because I expect that they will make some changes to their coverage schemes.

Spinluck

Yeah I agree the Colts were dogging the league by not revealing apparent injuries to Luck, but I think they have more problems than Luck being hurt. Colts were a flawed team this year with or without Luck. But my point was that the South is a dogshit conference, the 2nd most dogshit conference in the NFL.

I'm also tired of teams who under perform and then try to save face/excitement for next season, by saying that their QB who wasn't on the injury report was really hurt all season.

I've said countless times that I think injuries weren't the only reason Luck was bad. Same with the team playing like crap. But when he's throwing the ball differently with less zip and accuracy than usual, I think it's fair to suggest that he's not playing at 100% that game.

Teams keep players off injury reports all the time, my reason for bringing that up was because I think it would've been wise to sit Luck the moment he faced anything that seemed like a significant injury early in the season. Instead of having a 40 yr old QB that can't throw more than 15-20yds consistently try to finish the season. Hasslebald would've been crushed by Den.

I also think it's odd to dismiss Luck's chances later in the season against far worse teams than Denver. We had fucking Clipboard Jesus out there against the Dolphins, and lost the division to a Texans team that barely got by us with a broken Hasslebald and anemic ass second half offense. I think we win the division if he comes back later in the season, but I'm ok with the fact that we didn't. The team is bad, and deserved to lose the division.

Paches

Seahawks are lucky because they pull shit out of their ass when they need it most, like that botched snap.

They topdick the perfect card on the exact turn to use it.

Vikings secondary didn't even cover Lockett, he was wide open with no one around him in a 15 yard radius. More of a great athletic play by Wilson to slide and scoop the ball and a not so good play of breaking down in coverage by the VIkings on the play.

Not even defending Porter on the field! Refs aren't always consistent in their application of penalties in those situations (I actually prefer it when they just break it up and don't throw flags instead of deciding the game with it). On the other hand, you can't be surprised the Bengals got flagged.

Porter knew exactly what he was doing. Not his fault the Bungholes easily fell for it.

Ah Peezy. Retired for 4 years and still helping the team out on the field.

MechDX

I've said countless times that I think injuries weren't the only reason Luck was bad. Same with the team playing like crap. But when he's throwing the ball differently with less zip and accuracy than usual, I think it's fair to suggest that he's not playing at 100% that game.

But wasnt Luck playing shitty to start the season? Was he injured in pre season?

Well that's the first I've heard that Ross rushed the hiring process, on Saturday all you heard was how they "stuck to the process" so that's concerning if true. I agree about Tannehill though and Gase had said he loves both our RB and is going to push hard to keep Miller which is great and I'm glad somebody finally recognizes it. Tannehill can absolutely thrive under the right system and Gase was hired specifically for that so let's hope for the best.
I would be worried about him supposedly rushing the process if they landed a guy who was obviously a bad hire. I don't think Gase is that guy. He probably won't work out because Dolphins but he was a hotly sought after candidate that has had some impressive accomplishments in his relatively short career.

In a lot of ways Tannehill dragged this shit team to 6 wins this season. I could go down the list but we've been there many times before.

MechDX

#Lions coach Jim Caldwell will meet with team brass, including GM Bob Quinn. Despite the finish, it doesn't look good for him. No firm word. --Rappaport

Don't know how much I trust Rappaport anymore but here is another firing possibly

#Lions coach Jim Caldwell will meet with team brass, including GM Bob Quinn. Despite the finish, it doesn't look good for him. No firm word. --Rappaport

Don't know how much I trust Rappaport anymore but here is another firing possibly

I feel like if they were going to fire Caldwell they would have done it already.

Godslay

Banned
So how does the KC offense change with Maclin out?

He accounted for 87 recs and 124 targets.

Butler will more than likely contain Conley/Wilson.

Field is shorter, so as long as the Pats tackle well (screens/short stuff, limit YAC) and limit Kelce, who else is there?

Pats front 7 should be decent enough to stall the run.

If KC's O struggles, that means more time for Brady on the field. If Vollmer and Edelman are healthy, KC pass rush loses some teeth. You'll have to pick a poison between Edelman and Gronk.

I hate both teams, and I very well could be wrong. I think even with the hot streak, it's an uphill battle for KC.

Spinluck

Wtf David Bowie is dead? I'm sorry FMT, this season has officially been the worst.

So how does the KC offense change with Maclin out?

He accounted for 87 recs and 124 targets.

Butler will more than likely contain Conley.

Field is shorter, so as long as the Pats tackle well (screens/short stuff, limit YAC) and limit Kelce, who else is there?

Pats front 7 should be decent enough to stall the run.

If KC's O struggles, that means more time for Brady on the field. If Vollmer and Edelman are healthy, KC pass rush loses some teeth. You'll have to pick a poison between Edelman and Gronk.

I hate both teams, and I very well could be wrong. I think even with the hot streak, it's an uphill battle for KC.

Idk if they can win without Maclin. As if losing Charles at the beginning of the season wasn't enough. They have to lose Maclin during the playoffs... Oh well. Small Hands is gonna have to show up.

Wtf David Bowie is dead? I'm sorry FMT, this season has officially been the worst.

Idk if they can win without Maclin. As if losing Charles at the beginning of the season wasn't enough. They have to lose Maclin during the playoffs... Oh well. Small Hands is gonna have to show up.

Yep, what a gut punch this morning :(

I've seen this show with defensive teams and the Pats a million times.

Defense dominates at first, but the offense cannot turn anything into points. The levees break and the Pats start scoring at will.

Tom Penny

It would be dumb to fire him. He should get at least one year to rebuild the offense to revolve around Ebron.

brentech

Yep. Winning teams make their own luck, losing teams seem to always be on the otherside of luck. If Minnesota was playing a worse team this week, it would have been 16 - 0 in the 4th quarter, not 9 - 0, and the other team wouldn't be in that position to 'be lucky.'
Yea. I didn't make my comment about them coming back from bigger leads with less time because I didn't believe they would do it. I'll never count that team out, not in that circumstance.

I would be worried about him supposedly rushing the process if they landed a guy who was obviously a bad hire. I don't think Gase is that guy. He probably won't work out because Dolphins but he was a hotly sought after candidate that has had some impressive accomplishments in his relatively short career.

In a lot of ways Tannehill dragged this shit team to 6 wins this season. I could go down the list but we've been there many times before.

I definitely like the hire more now after I've read up more about him, there is a write up on him on MMQB if you haven't read it, it's very in-depth, that's a very good read too. lol you could certainly make that case about Tannehill, I'm certainly surprised we even won 6.

Armando just posted this btw:

Dolphins to address protection for Ryan Tannehill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard this from a Miami Dolphins source over the weekend: "You were right about Dallas Thomas. And we were wrong."

And I thought to myself, Hallelujah, there is hope!

What was meant by that is that the Dolphins, with new head coach Adam Gase on board, are going to take up the assignment of making quarterback Ryan Tannehill (not Derek Carr) a better player. And one way they are going to do that is to improve the protection for Tannehill, who has been sacked 184 times in four seasons.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Let's keep it a buck, we're all salty because we've all been victims of the Seahawks' "luck" over the years. (Doug Baldwin was totally out of bounds btw, let's see how many new 12s get that one!)

But the difference between winning and losing always comes down to a bounce of the ball or an inch or two either way with every team. The only difference is that the Seahawks have been so consistently good that they are always put themselves in the position to take advantage of those fortunate breaks

MechDX

Alex MarvezVerified account
‏@alexmarvez
Couple of updates re: Vance Joseph & @MiamiDolphins: 1) He can't sign with another team until next Tuesday unless given @Bengals release

Joseph's contract is up next Tuesday. Explains why teams are after him for their DC spots after the Bengals refused to let him interview for those spots last year

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Hill's fumble was more a great defensive play than it was Hill's fault to be honest.

Burfict's hit on Brown was inexcusable and the penalty was the right call. That really did the Bengals in... But the refs ruined the game by deciding it with the call on Jones. They should have done the right thing there and swallowed the flag OR thrown 2 flags, one on Jones and one on Joey Porter for coming onto the field and barking at Cincinatti players. The penalties should have offset and then at least leave the game down to the players instead of the refs... Pittsburgh would have had a 1st and 10 at the 32 or so, I think, which is not a gimme field goal... Instead of 1st and 10 at, what, the 17, which is a gimme field goal (unless you're in Minnesota).

But... none of that shit happens without Burfict's totally unnecessary, illegal hit on Antonio Brown. And it's not the first, second, or 10th time that Burfict has had a dirty play... He's one of the dirtiest defensive players in the league.

I just wish the ref had thrown 2 flags, one on Porter and one on Jones, negating each other, and let the players decide the game rather than the refs. Lousy way to end one of the most exciting 4th quarters in recent history.

Jeremy Hill's fumble was a great defensive play and there was no excuse for the fumble.

I'm not buying that Burfict's hit was so vicious it warrants a suspension, especially considering how Steeler coaches were acting before and during that play.

Burfict lead with the shoulder and hit Antonio Brown in the mouth (either with his shoulder pads or helmet).

That's fine, that's football but when Coach Joey Porter runs onto the field and starts rabble rousing he should get flagged for a personal foul negating the Burfict hit.

Fuck what happened between Adam Jones and Joey Porter. Joey Porter had no business being on the field and thus should have a personal flag.

And I always enjoyed watching Joey Porter and that Steelers defense play.

But Fuck Outta Here if someone doesn't think that Joey Porter, and all time Steeler great, didn't know what he was doing when he ran onto the field and started talking trash to Pacman Jones, who have both played each other and know the trash talk involved.

After the Burfict hit, and before the Pacman Jones/Joey Porter incident happened, you have to ask why was a Defensive Coach running onto the field talking trash to Bengal defensive players when he has no business being on the field running his mouth to Bengal defenders.

What should've happened:

1.) Burfict gets a personal foul 15 yard penalty

2.) Joey Porter, a Coach, runs onto the field talking shit, which gives the Steelers a personal foul.

3.) The plays are negated and we replay the down.

Considering Pacman Jones said Antonio Brown winked at him as he got up if the hit was so vicious and brutal from Vontaze Burfict, surely there is no way Antonio Brown passes concussion protocol, right?

Rashean Mathis was sidelined the whole season due to concussion protocol when the hit was no where near as vicious.

There is absolutely no way a classy and respected organization like the Steelers would let there Star WR play after such a vicious hit.

83acf_hair.0.gif

miketomlin.gif

Sephzilla

I'm amazed that the Packers showed up and looked like the Packers again. I figured the Redskins would put the Packers out of their misery. Yesterday's game actually gave me some hope.

Cardinals are probably going to spank them next week though

Still waiting on your Cam Cameron defense.

My post was pretty self contained I thought - the Dolphins are perpetually bad because the ownership on down is awful.

Here's my Cam Cameron defense - The 2007 Dolphins starting QBs - John Beck, Trent Green, Gibran Hamdan, Cleo Lemon. That team had no talent, aside from an over the hill Chris Chambers and Peezy. The Dolphins could have raised Vince Lombardi from the dead and it wouldn't have helped.

the coach that came after him won the AFC East by abandoning QB play and resorting to a gimmick offense.

You've been complaining about shit o-line talent for years, despie the Dolphins constantly picking line players. How much of that is the players drafted and how much is the people picking them, or coaching them?

La Canfora is right - Players go to Miami for warmth and women, not to win. Wallace chose them over Minnesota for that EXACT reason, and the Dolophins STILL managed to overpay him..

eznark

Banned
Porter knew exactly what he was doing. Not his fault the Bungholes easily fell for it.

Ah Peezy. Retired for 4 years and still helping the team out on the field.

I look forward to every team employing an Assistant Coach of Instigation next year. Maybe even give him a motivational baseball bat.

Too bad the Packers have been a pussy organization for 25 years so they don't really have a Tough former player with a reputation for bring dirty as fuck and raging on roids to roll out there. Maybe they can see what Ross Verba is up to.

I look forward to every team employing an Assistant Coach of Instigation next year. Maybe even give him a motivational baseball bat.

Too bad the Packers have been a pussy organization for 25 years so they don't really have a Tough former player with a reputation for bring dirty as fuck and raging on roids to roll out there. Maybe they can see what Ross Verba is up to.

Nice to see you defaulting to the integrity of your other team now that the Bengals are out of it.

squicken

There are not enough good offensive linemen around to help all the teams that need to address the position. More than any group, having a position coach that can develop mid and low round guys is vital. That's why the Rams have sucked for so long. They have never developed a decent offensive linemen. Heck even the top 5 types bust out

eznark

Banned
Nice to see you defaulting to the integrity of your other team now that the Bengals are out of it.

This hurts so much because it's true.

"First thing that comes to mind is putting an emphasis on protecting the ball." - @AdrianPeterson

So Adrian was just teaching his four year old a lesson when he pummeled his balls to pulp. Gotta protect em, son!

My post was pretty self contained I thought - the Dolphins are perpetually bad because the ownership on down is awful.

Here's my Cam Cameron defense - The 2007 Dolphins starting QBs - John Beck, Trent Green, Gibran Hamdan, Cleo Lemon. That team had no talent, aside from an over the hill Chris Chambers and Peezy. The Dolphins could have raised Vince Lombardi from the dead and it wouldn't have helped.

the coach that came after him won the AFC East by abandoning QB play and resorting to a gimmick offense.

You've been complaining about shit o-line talent for years, despie the Dolphins constantly picking line players. How much of that is the players drafted and how much is the people picking them, or coaching them?

La Canfora is right - Players go to Miami for warmth and women, not to win. Wallace chose them over Minnesota for that EXACT reason.
So the Dolphins are dysfunctional and Cam Cameron is probably a great head coach in some alternate universe. Well, one out of two isn't bad I guess?

I have made posts in this thread about poor talent evaluation, particularly with the offensive line. I'm not stupid enough to think that the Dolphins roster is full of potential all-pros who were held back by nothing more than Joe Philbin's coaching skills. However, that doesn't mean Philbin is a great HC either.

You make a lot of pointless posts. Funny thing is you post them with an air of cockiness and a smartass attitude that implies you are presenting something novel. Next up from Deacon: Cleveland is a bad landing spot for quarterbacks.

Mrbob

I'm amazed that the Packers showed up and looked like the Packers again. I figured the Redskins would put the Packers out of their misery. Yesterday's game actually gave me some hope.

Cardinals are probably going to spank them next week though

Look at the Vikings Seahawks rematch, Packers aren't getting blown out again. I think this is bad for Arizona to play GB again so quickly. Still expect the cards to win but in a much closer game, like 24 to 20. First game had some weird things happen which inflated the difference.

eznark

Banned
Look at the Vikings Seahawks rematch, Packers aren't getting blown out again. I think this is bad for Arizona to play GB again so quickly. Still expect the cards to win but in a much closer game, like 24 to 20. First game had some weird things happen which inflated the difference.

The only real difference that might keep the game close is that Bahktiari and Shields will probably play.

It's highly unlikely the Cardinals get 9 sacks again, that type of shit usually doesn't happen frequently.

In the end though the Packers will lose by 14-20 so the result will be the same.

Hunter S.

Adam Jones just doubled down on the "Antonio Brown is faking it" thing. Says he should "win a Grammy" for it.

Also says he was flagged because he touched a ref while asking Porter why he was on the field.

Weird story.

Jones does say to watch the play in slow motion to decide.

ParchedBronzeAntipodesgreenparakeet.gif

Looks like head contact to me.

Lrrr

From ESPN regarding Blair Walsh in the locker room.

Place-kicker Blair Walsh, who missed a 27-yard field goal attempt that would have won the game, was sobbing.

He sat in his locker, still wearing the long underwear and shirt that helped keep him warm on a frigid day at TCF Bank Stadium. This was no silent cry. His face was contorted in anguish. His shoulders shuddered. He gasped for air each time a player, coach or support staffer walked over to console him.

This went on for 15 minutes, long after Walsh had taken full blame for the miss and exonerated his holder for setting the ball with the laces in. Finally, Walsh walked slowly to the shower. He emerged 10 minutes later, dressed, swiped through phone messages -- for his sake, hopefully he avoided Twitter -- and departed.

As fans torched Walsh on social media, and his own coach offered absolutely no public sympathy, it seemed appropriate to capture this moment. The players who make devastating mistakes are human. Despite the millions of dollars they will earn regardless, a few of them are genuinely crushed when they fail. Blair Walsh is one of them.

I'm not a Vikings fan, but reading that was hurtful. :(

Top Bottom