• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

Cornbread78

CBS assignments:

PIT @ DEN: Nantz-Simms
KC @ NE: Eagle-Fouts

Well, at least it should be OK, I'm so glad Simms-Nantz are not there to glab over the Chiefs the whole time. I'm sure Nantz would talk more about deflated balls and spy cams in front of 80K people.

Since is declared by the CBS brass that the Manning HGH thing is a complete non-story, (have fun with your A team broadcast job next year Manning) Pitt fans can listen to those two fawn over Manning the entire night. Have fun with that..

harSon

Banned
I could see that. I think a fine is in order but I don't think they should suspend him for this hit though.

He's not going to be suspended for the hit. He's going to be suspended because he did that hit after a season of:

PinkAdvancedBinturong.gif

burfict.0.gif

Burfict-hit-brown-1.0.gif

Burfict-Hit-Ben.0.gif

CYX3fUGWkAAMMdj.jpg

giphy.gif

MechDX

Just an FYI. Dont ever hashtag search your team on Twitter, especially right when the off season starts.

My brain is melting down trying to comprehend all the hot takes

Crisco

Banned
It's the matchup no Panther's fan wanted, but the team needed. I could see us coming out a little rusty or even unfocused if it was Washington, but Seattle will bring out our best effort from the jump. The key will be our running game with Stewart, vs theirs without Lynch. I think that gives us the edge in this game and will allow us to control the clock, sustain drives, and ultimately move on to the NFCCG.

eznark

Banned
Why would the league take the Maxx Williams hit into account when suspending Burfict considering they didn't even fine him for it?

spyder_ur

Pretty crazy weekend of games. Also generally a very low quality of play - I'm glad Roger has his priorities straight though.

You know who should be thanking Blair Walsh? Kam Chancellor - who got taken advantage of on that final drive similar to how he was down the stretch in the Super Bowl.

Noone from Cincy should be saying a god damn thing. They totally threw that game away. The only criticism I would have of the officiating is that the Unnecessary Roughness penalty they called on the Cincy player in the first half was very similar to the Shazier play which they didn't call. I think it's just so much more visible and dramatic when it takes place on long passes down the middle, but the mechanics of the play by the rulebook seemed the same to me. This inconsistency must be infuriating for defensive players.

I never bought into the Skins nor Cousins - they're going to pay way too much money to hitch their wagon to a middling QB and it is so predictable. Not buying the Pack either - think they go down fairly easily at Arizona. Panthers-Seahawks should be a dogfight - Vegas clearly agrees. Toughest opponent that Carolina could have drawn, IMO.

KC is good, but I'm pretty comfortable with the Pats given that the early injury reports look pretty positive. I think KC will have to put up 25+ and I'm not sure they can with limited offensive weapons, unless the Patriots make big, game-changing mistakes on offense. Weather in Foxboro looks like it could be a factor - I would love a snow playoff game but they're not sure it'll be cold enough.

Trey

Burfict hit on brown was so unnecessary. It just shows a stunning lack of awareness to come across that late to deliver a hit on a covered receiver who dropped the ball anyway.

Especially in that situation where the only way the Steelers would have moved the ball is by penalty.

tmdorsey

What makes it bad is the fact that he destroyed a dude who failed to catch the ball multiple steps before he made the hit. He probably had tunnel vision and was so zeroed in on fucking someone up, that he didn't see someone completely facing him did not have a football in their hands. That's his fault.

I agree with the part that he was going in with the attention of blowing him up, but I don't agree that he went after his head. I think in realtime it wouldn't have been hard for him to stop or pull up. Also at the same time, let's say he assumes that the other Bengal player was going to make the tackle and does have time to pull up. If the tackle is missed and Brown catches that ball, with his speed, Brown could take that in to the house.

Messed up hit for sure, but I lean closer to it being just one of those bang, bang players. I don't think he would intentionally try to decapitate the man.

brentech

I agree with the part that he was going in with the attention of blowing him up, but I don't agree that he went after his head. I think in realtime it wouldn't have been hard for him to stop or pull up. Also at the same time, let's say he assumes that the other Bengal player was going to make the tackle and does have time to pull up. If the tackle is missed and Brown catches that ball, with his speed, Brown could take that in to the house.

Messed up hit for sure, but I lean closer to it being just one of those bang, bang players. I don't think he would intentionally try to decapitate the man.

Burfict would totally try to decapitate a man or ruin a career. I have no doubts about this.

Trey

The league, sooner or later, are going to have to make penalties reviewable. Even de facto reviewable like pass interference on a tipped ball.

Refs were too visible this season, and no one has faith in their calls. Some penalties will be harder to review than others. Defenseless receiver would be one of the simpler to take on, because you can review whether the player turned into a runner by the time the contact came. Holding or PI though? Probably nothing you can do there.

The league, sooner or later, are going to have to make penalties reviewable. Even de facto reviewable like pass interference on a tipped ball.

Refs were too visible this season, and no one has faith in their calls.

And then we are back to the point where we were before the NFL eliminated replay all together.

BigAT

He's really trying to get that Grammy.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
As much as some might question it, Steelers WR Antonio Brown is in the concussion protocol, per source.

harSon

Banned
Still not as bad as Shazier making Bernard kiss his crown, literally...

uSoIwDE.png

Why do people keep using this as a response? It was an illegal hit, and should have been flagged (and fined). Was he purposely trying to kill the guy with helmet to helmet? Possibly, but he's had a less than a season and a half of play under his belt. He's still young, so it's difficult to say whether it was bad form from a young player or malicious in nature. The difference between Shazier and Burfict's situation, and the reason people are after the latter - is the fact that he's a repeat offender many times over. He lost his right to getting the benefit of the doubt.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Still not as bad as Shazier making Bernard kiss his crown, literally...

uSoIwDE.png

Exactly and as I pointed out during the game this is far dirtier than Burfict's hit.

As an NFL fan you have to realize the speed of the game moves far slower than a LB tackling a RB on a check down as opposed to a WR running a full route then colliding with a defender.

A running back catching a ball out of a check down is so much easier to read, and develops far more slowly, so Shaizer knew what he was doing.

Giovani Bernard had no momentum, and would've gotten tackled one way or another. As a defensive end or linebacker it's such an easy play to make.

Dont forget he nearly was a nfl player if he was 3 inches taller

Then I'd be 6'8-6'9 Brock Osweiller status and not a defensive end.

As much as some might question it, Steelers WR Antonio Brown is in the concussion protocol, per source.

No way a player can play after such a vicious and dirty hit by Corona Centaniall HS player like Burfict.

Burfict is a thug, Pacman Jones is a thug and the Pittsburgh Steelers organization is absolutely not at fault for anything that went on in the game.

The Steelers, like the Packers, are a classy organization and would never resort to purposely injuring other players or faking injuries.

No way in hell Antonio Brown plays after that hit from "thug" Vontaze Burfict especially considering the current concussion protocol.

Godslay

Banned
To be fair every QB in this draft is to some extent.

Sure.

I guess I've just seen alot more of him than the others.

I hope he works out. I'm afraid since the class is so weak if anyone drafts him high, they'll rush him and out and it will all be over.

Cornbread78

Why do people keep using this as a response? It was an illegal hit, and should have been flagged (and fined). Was he purposely trying to kill the guy with helmet to helmet? Possibly, but he's had a less than a season and a half of play under his belt. He's still young, so it's difficult to say whether it was bad form from a young player or malicious in nature. The difference between Shazier and Burfict's situation, and the reason people are after the latter - is the fact that he's a repeat offender many times over. He lost his right to getting the benefit of the doubt.

Both were thug plays, period. However, don't throw in he doesn't know proper form and how not to spear, especially in the head. It's not like he started playing defense last week and is learning how to tackle. His celebration afterwards was gross...

jakncoke

Banned
kas is like a scorned female you can present her with facts all day but they going to focus on something they mad about till the end of days

MechDX

Sure.

I guess I've just seen alot more of him than the others.

I hope he works out. I'm afraid since the class is so weak if anyone drafts him high, they'll rush him and out and it will all be over.

f7HE0_Gy.jpeg

Pic for reactions to whatever team drafts him.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Both were thug plays, period. However, don't throw in he doesn't know proper form and how not to spear, especially in the head. It's not like he started playing defense last week and is learning how to tackle. His celebration afterwards was gross...

What celebration?

Without a doubt the most affected I've been about a celebrity death, for numerous reasons.

This is the saddest I've been about one, because it was David Fucking Bowie. It was genuinely hard to not find at least one song of his you loved, and there aren't many musicians in general throughout history with that wide a reach. He made me, and countless other people who heard his music, feel normal. As was said in the Frisky eulogy, "Bowie convinced me that being isolated and afraid and most of all weird made me a normal, feeling human being."

It's bittersweet that he made this album, and the Lazarus music video, knowing it was his last masterpiece. He got to see it released, on his birthday, to mass love and praise. And I like to think the universe wouldn't let him go until after it gave him that last big thank you he deserved.

In closing:

@roseveleth
Today, in honor of David Bowie, please take a little time to work on that weird thing you secretly create, whatever it is. He'd want you to.

bionic77

Yo dude are you doubting the fucking word of Pacman Jones?

On the morning of February 19, 2007, during the 2007 NBA All-Star Game weekend in Las Vegas, Jones was allegedly involved in an altercation with an exotic dancer at Minxx, a local strip club. Jones and American rap artist Nelly patronized the club that evening. Nelly, along with someone known as Richard Rich, showered the stage with hundreds of one-dollar bills; an act known as "making it rain." Jones then joined Nelly by throwing his own money for "visual effect." Club promoter Chris Mitchell then directed his dancers to collect the money. According to the club's co-owner, Jones became enraged when a dancer began taking the money without his permission. He allegedly grabbed her by her hair and slammed her head on the stage. A security guard intervened and scuffled with members of Jones' entourage of half a dozen people. Jones then allegedly threatened the guard's life.[7] During this time, Mitchell and a male associate left the club with a garbage bag filled with $81,020 and two Breitling watches, which police later recovered.[8] After club patrons left following the original confrontation, the club owner claimed a person in Jones' entourage returned with a gun and fired into a crowd, damaging equipment and hitting three people, including the security guard involved in the earlier skirmish. The guard was shot twice, and one of the people hit—former professional wrestler Tommy Urbanski—was paralyzed from the waist down. Jones maintains that he did not know the shooter, although the club's owner insists that Jones did. On March 26, 2007, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department recommended to the city's district attorney that Jones be charged with one count of felony coercion, one misdemeanor count of battery and one misdemeanor count of threat to life.[9]

More trouble followed Jones after the altercation, when drug dealer Darryl Jerome Moore was arrested. After the arrest, Moore told the police about his phone conversations with Jones. "We gotta slow down, man. We gotta get him focused on football, man." Moore is alleged to have said. Wiretapped phone conversations between Moore and his friends revealed Moore talking about how Jones bet on college games to earn quick money. "You know, I was talkin' to him the other day about smokin', and he was like 'man, if I didn't smoke I couldn't take all the stress that I'm dealing with right now,'" Moore said.[10] Jones has not been connected to the Moore drug arrests or convicted for the Vegas stripper incident.

On April 21, a document revealed that Jones paid $15,000 to various people involved in the Las Vegas shooting.[11]

On January 9, 2015, Jones was forced to pay 11 million dollars to Urbanski and 1.3 million dollars to Aaron Cudworth who was working with Urbanski on the day of the shooting in Las Vegas and was also shot.

harSon

Banned

You might want to get your eyes checked. He celebrated the fact that the Steelers won the challenge and were awarded the fumble recovery - on the sideline and a long time after the initial hit. Which is in stark contrast to Burfict, who celebrates tearing someone's MCL right after seeing them lay on the ground in agony.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Such a brutal and purposeful hit by Burfict.

Antonio Brown was knocked out, no way in hell he can come back 6 days later after going through concussion protocol.

Lol @ thinking the Steelers medical staff is worth a shit

As long as Brown has a pulse and some brain activity, our joke of a medical staff is going to throw Brown's ass onto the field.

Oh......

Combine that with the fact Adam Jones is saying Antonio Brown faked the injury and winked at him as he got up, which I believe, combined with the body language.

And Steeler fans want to criticize Patriots fans?

If Antonio Brown plays this weekend:

LOL

:jnc

If you want to bring up a Vontaze Burfict suspension then Joey Porter should not coach next week nor should Mike Mularkey, Moke Munchack or whatever his real name is and that's real talk.

The Bengals got fucked.

bionic77

I agree with you that there is also no defense for Shazier's hit.

The refs fucked up and if they had called that correctly and the Bungles scored there and went on to win he could have been the goat today instead of Burfict.

I think it is obvious that Burfict is in the conversation for dirtiest player in the league. I won't go into which hit was dirtier in the game, they were both dirty and I can't believe the refs didn't call the Shazier play along with many other dirty plays from both teams. I will say that Burfict's play was unquestionably stupider. The idiot had just won the game wit his INT and they may still have won with Ben being in total gimp mode if he could just ignore his instinct to murder Brown. If he pulls up I seriously question whether or not we make enough plays to get into FG range. Instead he gifts us the game. One of the dumbest plays ever.

Godslay

Banned
Such a brutal and purposeful hit by Burfict.

Antonio Brown was knocked out, no way in hell he can come back 6 days later after going through concussion protocol.

Oh......

Combine that with the fact Adam Jones is saying Antonio Brown faked the injury and winked at him as he got up, which I believe, combined with the body language.

And Steeler fans want to criticize Patriots fans?

If Antonio Brown plays this weekend:

LOL

:jnc

If you want to bring up a Vontaze Burfict suspension then Joey Porter should not coach next week nor should Mike Mularkey, Moke Munchack or whatever his real name is and that's real talk.

The Bengals got fucked.

Some are saying Brown is going to pass the protocol with ease.

He's in it, but from what the sounds of it he's going to play.

Top Bottom