• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

1) "The rules should change"

- The losers, every time

2)
428CknJ.gif

mr2xxx

Banned
i get that he's not perfect and maybe i am biased after what happened to us but i don't think you get rid of a good (although flawed) coach unless you have someone better waiting to fill his spot. who do you propose you replace him with? you were a botched onside kick recovery away from the superbowl last year and just about got back to another NFC title game.

Just let the Packers get the next Mike Mularkey so he can learn.

Yeah, people forget who you're hiring when you dump a solid coach.
If you want to fire Mike McCarthy, who do you hire in his place? Jim Tomsula, Joe Philbin, Mike Pettine?

Are they improvements?

- The losers, every time

2)
428CknJ.gif

Perfect.

I don't remember any of these Packers fans saying the rule should change 3 weeks ago when Belichick opted to kick against the Jets instead of receive. No, everybody said "Belichick you idiot, receive the ball and give it to Brady." Back then, it was Belichick being arrogant and an idiot, not the NFL rules needing to be changed.

Greg

Mike is great

and so is kicking the extra point to send it into OT and hope your defense (and Carson Palmer) does what it has all game

don't smoke crack

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I agree only Mike McCarthy is to blame, but in OT, you're not taking your chances on odds. The odds (53.8%) aren't statistically relevant to the outcome of the game. If Green Bay doesn't blow coverage on the #1 player on the field, they don't lose on that drive.

Maybe they lose 12 minutes later, or maybe they win 7 minutes later, or maybe they lose 75 minutes later in OT3, but if they don't blow coverage on the best player on the field and leaving him wide open, then they don't lose on that quickly.

You have better odds on a 2 point conversion than you do in OT. it's that simple. Shit happens in OT. See Tebow/Steelers. You play to win the game.

TheFatOne

Palmer needs to thank Larry for bailing his ass out. He was terrible all game, and I think the winner of Carolina vs Seahawks is going to the super bowl.

- The losers, every time

2)
428CknJ.gif

Second I saw Mathews talk about that I started laughing. Losers gonna lose.

You have better odds on a 2 point conversion than you do in OT. it's that simple. Shit happens in OT. See Tebow/Steelers. You play to win the game.

A lot of gameday coaching is mitigating criticism rather than actually going for the win.

It's not surprising considering how many people want to fire coaches for silly shit like when they called a time out. Who the hell is going to risk going for 2 and failing. Mike Shanahan did it, can't really think of anyone else.

Fathead

Nfl 2 point conversion rate hovers at about 50%

Coin flip is 50%

Not saying that teams shouldn't go for it, but statistically it's a wash.

I think you're wrong there but I don't fault your sentinment (if I were a GB fan, I'd want them to go for 2 in retrospect)

Odds of a 2point conversion are 47.9% (according to some top google website). Your odds of winning in playoff overtime are 50% -- One team wins, one team loses, every time. So strictly by odds, going to overtime is 2.1% higher likelihood of a win than going for 2 (assuming that an extra point is ~99%, which historically it has been although this year not quite but in this case it doesnt matter, kicker made the XP)

Your odds of losing the coin toss AND losing in overtime are significant lower than 47%. The coin toss is 50% and then winning after losing the coin toss is 46.2%, so the odds of BOTH of those things happening is appreciably less than 47.9%.

But I get the sentiment and I agree with you in retrospect... play to win when you have the chance.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of gameday coaching is mitigating criticism rather than actually going for the win.

It's not surprising considering how many people want to fire coaches for silly shit like when they called a time out. Who the hell is going to risk going for 2 and failing.

So what if they fail. They shouldn't have even been in that situation to have an opportunity to win anyways. So much plays into OT. Coin Flip, Bogus Penalties, Nerves, Blown assignments, Miraculous plays, etc.

The Pack had an opportunity where their 100 million dollar QB would have the ball in his hands for 1 play to score from two yards out. They should take that every time. Instead they put their faith in possibly some back up corner back.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Fuck all of the people ragging on McCarthy, the packers and patriots are the only 2 teams consistently in the playoffs every single year. The man has done amazing. We almost took down what some feel is the best team in the nfl right now. He's a good coach and has done an amazing job keeping the team together.

Trey

After a miracle hail Mary, I thank God and take that blessing in earnest by going for two. No way I'm rolling the dice in OT.

PopeReal

Fuck all of the people ragging on McCarthy, the packers and patriots are the only 2 teams consistently in the playoffs every single year. The man has done amazing. We almost took down what some feel is the best team in the nfl right now. He's a good coach and has done an amazing job keeping the team together.

No one thinks the Cardinals are the best team.

Hunter S.

Tom Penny;192433646] Brady and Co has only been to 10 AFC championships and 5 in a row now.

Playoff Droughts
Team Last earned appearance in post-season
Buffalo Bills 16
Oakland Raiders 13
Cleveland Browns 13
Los Angeles Rams † 11
Jacksonville Jaguars ^ 8
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8
Tennessee Titans 2008 7
Miami Dolphins 7
New York Jets 5

I get the sentiment wanting to go for 2... but I don't think you can fault the coach for taking the sure thing, rather than the less likely risk. There is still a higher likelihood that you fail a 2point version than you succeed, while an extra point is still 99%+ good. SO you can't fault McCarthy too much for going with the higher likelihood of success.

That said, if I were a packers fan especially now, I wold have wanted the 2 pt conversion. Still I would have shit my pants at the time.

No one thinks the Cardinals are the best team.

They're up there.

I'd say:
Panthers > Cards > Pats > Seahawks > Denver > Pittsburgh for who's left. But, Panthers and Cards aren't a big difference for me right now. Hell, Cards have won a playoff game.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I get the sentiment wanting to go for 2... but I don't think you can fault the coach for taking the sure thing, rather than the less likely risk. There is still a higher likelihood that you fail a 2point version than you succeed, while an extra point is still 99%+ good. SO you can't fault McCarthy too much for going with the higher likelihood of success.

That said, if I were a packers fan especially now, I wold have wanted the 2 pt conversion. Still I would have shit my pants at the time.

Two Point Attempts Two Points Made
1 Pittsburgh Steelers 11 8
2 Green Bay Packers 6 4
3 Tennessee Titans 5 3

66.67%

100 million dollar QB. Instead rely on a rookie possibly covering Fitz. It's so asinine.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think McCarthy did a fantastic job getting the Packers ready for this game. They really shored up the protections and the defense played well enough to win.

It's not surprising considering how many people want to fire coaches for silly shit like when they called a time out. Who the hell is going to risk going for 2 and failing. Mike Shanahan did it, can't really think of anyone else.

pitt.0.gif

Just sayin'.

2 Green Bay Packers 6 4
3 Tennessee Titans 5 3

66.67%

Are you saying those were the only 2 point conversions this season ...?
Historically, the 2 point conversion rate is just under 50%. 47.9% or whatever I had up there. These stats are easily found online.

Bread

Banned
Playoff Droughts
Team Last earned appearance in post-season
Buffalo Bills 16
Oakland Raiders 13
Cleveland Browns 13
Los Angeles Rams † 11
Jacksonville Jaguars ^ 8
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8
Tennessee Titans 2008 7
Miami Dolphins 7
New York Jets 5

It's hard for other teams to make the playoffs when the Pats are so good every year. Thank you for the compliment!

Narag

2 Green Bay Packers 6 4
3 Tennessee Titans 5 3

66.67%

100 million dollar QB. Instead rely on a rookie possibly covering Fitz. It's so asinine.

It's around 50% going back to 2010.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Are you saying those were the only 2 point conversions this season ...?
Historically, the 2 point conversion rate is just under 50%. 47.9% or whatever I had up there. These stats are easily found online.

this year. and you are not factoring in a aaron freaking rogers who is 4/6. Better QBs are better at 2 point conversions. Pitt 8/11. GB 4/6. Tenn 3/5. So what if history states 50/50. History is also filled with a lot of terrible QBs and countless teams that never practiced going for two on a regular occasion.

I'm not talking about the NYJ and Fitzpatrick.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Definitely good to see, but going from a Chiefs pass rush missing Houston and a healthy Hali to Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware Deebo and DK's avatar will be a big leap in difficulty.

Could we at least play the game before we throw dirt on the lifeless corpse that is the Steelers?

TheFatOne

Most important thing in Pats/KC tonight: Brady kept completely clean in the pocket.

A lot of that had to do with how quickly he got rid of the ball, but there were some key third downs the oline kept him clean long enough to find someone. Pretty solid game for them today. Hopefully they can build on this game.
Could we at least play the game before we throw dirt on the lifeless corpse that is the Steelers?

Especially since Manning is starting. Tons of people are suddenly believing he's a changed qb, but I am not one of those people. He was literally the single worst qb in the NFL this season when he started. He can quite easily lose the Broncos the game today.

this year. and you are not factoring in a aaron freaking rogers who is 4/6. Better QBs are better at 2 point conversions. Pitt 8/11. GB 4/6. Tenn 3/5. So what if history states 50/50. History is also filled with a lot of terrible QBs and countless teams that never practiced going for two on a regular occasion.

I'm not talking about the NYJ and Fitzpatrick.

Ok, so aside from cherry picking stats, then well for the sake of argument, wouldn't this also extend to Aaron Rodger's chances in overtime...? A QB who is arguably more successful in OT than NYJ and Fitzpatrick ... ?

I get it and sympathize with you but, no, you're statistically wrong about going for 2 versus going to overtime, and no, McCarthy should not be fired for it. But I still sympathize with the point of view.

I said the rest of the AFCE sucked besides the pats. I never said the pats sucked. No competition does help.

I think it's overstated that there's no competition in the AFC East. NYJ, Miami, and Buffalo are about as good as any team in the AFC South this year, or NFC South last year, or NFC East this year, or NFC West 3 years ago, etc. It's just that there's one really good team every year in the AFC East. so unlike the AFC South this year (Houston division winner at 9-7), NFC South last year (Carolina division winner at 7-9?), NFC West a few years back (Seahawks at 8-8?), and NFC EAst this year (Reskins at 9-7?), those Jets teams who go 10-6 (2015) or Bills teams who go 9-7 (2014) or Dolphins teams who go 8-8 (2014), those would all be playoff teams in a handful of other divisions in the league each year.

Top Bottom